Hitting... Women

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Yan007 said:
On the other hand, one could argue that hitting someone stronger than you is a demonstration of stupidity, and the pain you'll get back is just retribution.
Sure they could. They could dress it up and rationalise it however they like. I think I made my position perfectly clear. Hitting someone who is weaker than you and doesn't pose a threat is disgusting and pathetic. I wouldn't do it. I would lose all respect for anyone who did.

Although in my experience it's true that men don't tend to attack people stronger than them. Men seem to much prefer beating on weaker victims.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Honestly, the only rule I have to hitting a woman is really, 'don't do it as quickly as you would a guy'. Eh, well it's a bit more complicated.

It's a little different, like trading slaps is fine, whatever, it's not that bad. Though, if she swings a fist at you, well, you might as well return with your own special shoryuken. Kinda like that guy a while back who slugged a chick who attacked him. Doing that is fair play. If she tries to go below the waist, gloves off, you hit her like a guy.

Primarily, it's do not be the aggressor no matter what, but if attacked defend yourself but with more restraint to a female then a male as conditions allow (No weapons/below the belt shots, etc.). As a guy, i'm more willing to swing at another male first when I can sense it's coming, but a woman I can typically restrain, or at least over power.

Though, in the end i'd rather talk my way out of it. Violence is a ineffective, archaic style of problem solving that we should be mostly past by now.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
Yan007 said:
On the other hand, one could argue that hitting someone stronger than you is a demonstration of stupidity, and the pain you'll get back is just retribution.
Sure they could. They could dress it up and rationalise it however they like. I think I made my position perfectly clear. Hitting someone who is weaker than you and doesn't pose a threat is disgusting and pathetic. I wouldn't do it. I would lose all respect for anyone who did.

Although in my experience it's true that men don't tend to attack people stronger than them. Men seem to much prefer beating on weaker victims.
And I'll say it again: hitting someone who is stronger than you is incredibly stupid. Men innately know this. Women don't anymore. Well, I'm an equal opportunity ass kicker and I hit the gym 5 days a week. If a girl wants to insult me that's fine, but the moment she hits me I'll make sure she won't do it again.

Men don't simply beat weaker victims because they are weaker. Anything that is not a man will most likely be a woman (duh) and be weaker. On the other hand, males are the gender most likely to be assaulted, to die from violence and more male than female are molested/raped every single year.

Also, I don't mind you personally losing respect for me as long as you don't hit me, because then you'd also be losing a few teeth.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Strawman McFallacy said:
Aramis Night said:
the December King said:
Strawman McFallacy said:
the December King said:
Strawman McFallacy said:
Yes let's all talk about how it's right to hit women considering all the women hospitalized or killed for domestic violence. I'm sure they deserved it when they slapped a man across the face.

I need a drink.
Did the man in question deserve the slap, then? Maybe one shouldn't go around concluding arguments or verbal confrontations by slapping/physically assaulting the other party. Kicking the crap out of the slapper in retaliation is a terrible thing, to be sure, and unacceptable. But walking away from a slap can be very, very hard, if it is given as an argument-ender. The slapper should be reminded that the road of physical assault starts here, and should end there as well-and not necessarily with a counter-slap.

What are you having? I'll swill some rum, in the meantime.
Sorry but are you saying that if you slap someone you deserve to be hospitalized and killed?
Can you maybe rethink that for a bit... and maybe rethink everything you've ever thought.
Wow... I don't think that's what I meant at all. You should calm down- When I said, it won't necessarily end with a counter slap, I meant you should talk it through, and not slap in the first place.

jeez, I guess I'm now wearing your drink, so I'll just mosey off down the bar before you slap me...
Oh c'mon now. Didn't you realize that advocating for a non-violent solution in the face of female violence is akin to advocating for her death?

Don't worry Strawman Mcfallacy, It's obvious your looking for an opposing view to fight and get your righteousness on. I'll be your ...strawman. I would say that a woman who initiates violence should expect to receive violence in kind. I have the odd notion that equality extends to women. If I ran around slapping things that offended me, I would have 2 bloody stumps starting at the shoulder after the first day. But more likely I would expect to eventually get hospitalized, possibly killed. It's a realistic expectation. But I recognize cause and consequence enough to know that if I open the door of physical violence by slapping people, there will be violent physical repercussions. And I would rightfully deserve to get beaten to death for it. I don't care how much you want to minimize the woman's role in that situation. A situation that wouldn't exist in the first place if the slap had never happened. So how about we start with no slapping. Seems like a pretty modest proposal, no?
Yes, let's all go around nodding our heads in agreement that there's probably a portion of hospitalizations and deaths that were deserved. This is a helpful viewpoint and discussion for us to have. Maybe we should have this talk when severe damage is on both sides of the genders and not use terms like 'equality' with such disregard to the world around us.
Let's go find some good loopholes for when it's okay to hit women, like there's some sort of fucking shortage of women being hit by men in the world.
And trust me, those men all fucking justified in some way, just like everyone here seems to be doing.
Good hustle people.
Wow, you live up to your name. I just love how you can so willingly justify one group of people assaulting another as though its just a given entitlement women deserve to have with no repercussions. And then try to call men out for daring to retaliate in kind.

But hey, ill keep up my end of this as i promised you earlier. Yes, I'm sure there are women who have been hospitalized after initiating physical violence who deserved it. There are men who have also been killed and hospitalized for the same thing and they deserved it as well. That is what equality is. It is judging on the action's of the person and acting accordingly, not basing your actions on what the person is. I'm sorry that someone at some point convinced you that equality = privilege based on what you are, but it just isn't the case. I do not see it as my privilege to assault other people. Yet your advocating that women should be able to do just that. If men can't, women can't. That is equality.

ick99

Sep 6, 2011
What's this? A forum post on the question of hitting women? Let me just put my "Critical, Yet Not Self Aware" (CYNSW) Fedora on. Ah, here we go.
So, I'm going to wade through the 3 pages of comments that make me feel uncomfortable about the kinds of people who share my hobbies (It's ok, I feel nervous around, and threatened by women who fit into a gender-normative spectrum reinforced by society's ideals also, it's ok Bro) and go onto the movie
On The Wolf of Wallstreet, basically being a movie means that it's going to want to going into common norms so then its easy to make people feel all the emotions. Also being a movie about awful people, they're going to show something like, "he does the drugs not yet fully approved of by a majority" or "He's a lying meanie" and "He hits pretty women" things that the majority of people are going to feel outraged about, because the movie wants to make a statement about the financial industry, it's going to want to go into easy emotions. Think about a whole lot of movies that have women (pretty women of course) as victims or hostages, in movies like Batman: The Dark Knight, where the detective lady is going to be killed and has a deep emotional connection with Bruce Wayne, or Birth of a Nation, where the major plot seems to be, "Help! The black men are going to attack that white woman!" - and thats just it, this innate desire to protect women, or 'your woman' goes deep in society's history in the roles of women. But woman from WOWS who I forget her name, she's pretty capable and somewhat complicit in the whole scam, so maybe I'm off. But basically its a masculine society that is based off a history where a woman only had the right to be protected.
So that is why I think people might be shocked.

Wait, I think I just accidentally made the argument that not punching women is regressive to creating a fully equal society outside the expectations and confines of the patriarchy. GET THIS FEDORA OFF ME!!!

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I've never quite cared who I hit, if they are the aggressor, I give 'em what for. Of course, the force of the blow depends on their ability to fight back, and the context situation.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Yan007 said:
And I'll say it again: hitting someone who is stronger than you is incredibly stupid. Men innately know this. Women don't anymore. Well, I'm an equal opportunity ass kicker and I hit the gym 5 days a week. If a girl wants to insult me that's fine, but the moment she hits me I'll make sure she won't do it again.
That´s the lamest, pettiest macho posturing I´ve read in a long while. Congratulations, equal opportunity small-person-ass-kicker.

OT: Whilst my cultural upbringing and unwillingness to resort to violence would mean I´d probably find it impossible to force myself to strike a woman, in theory there´d be nothing wrong with it, given the appropriate circumstances.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
captainballsack said:
Actually, there would be one person left on Earth with one eye. Haha!

When it comes down to it, I think I would react with no more than a confused look if someone slapped me. I'd have a great deal of difficulty taking them seriously after that point. I do not, however, judge people for slapping back with enough force to stagger the person who hit them first so they think twice about resorting to physical attacks in the first place. I would personally prefer to take a moment to study the person's face first and wait for them to speak, to see if there is regret or an apology imminent. Humans make mistakes and slapping someone in the face is a bad one.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Yan007 said:
Also, I don't mind you personally losing respect for me as long as you don't hit me, because then you'd also be losing a few teeth.
Yeah, don't threaten people when they suggest that hitting someone defenseless is disgusting. Because it is, even if they hit you first. And it doesn't make you look very good when you react violently to that suggestion by bragging that you're an "equal opportunity ass-kicker".

Edit:

ick99 said:
I would edit your post if I were you, specifically to remove references to trolling and other insults.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Hello dear ick99,

First, I want to say I am very real. And yes, if a woman hits me, "I will put her in her place." Funny enough that you equate a woman hitting me as "standing up to me". On the contrary, I think women assaulting men are cowards using social norms to their advantage so I feel no remorse in showing them the equal treatment I would give a man doing the same thing to me. I never sent anyone to the hospital because that would be overkill, but if someone hits me then they get a bloody nose or a black eye.

No, if a woman (you?) hits me, I won't ask her politely to stop. I'll hit her right back and she will remember not to hit other people ever again.

Have a nice day.

XXX

May 29, 2011

Hitting people is bad, mmkay? You shouldn't hit people, ever.

Self defense is completely different but there's all sorts of unnecessary risks with violence. You punch someone on the street there's no guarantee they wont fall bad enough to hit their head and do permanent damage.

And now you spend 6 years in prison because you couldn't exercise restraint.

Even something as harmless as slapping someone can do permanent damage to their eyes if you hit at a sufficiently unlucky angle. This shit aint worth it for a petty argument.

It really really isn't worth risking serious physical injury for a petty disagreement, or even a major one.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Caiphus said:
Yeah, don't threaten people when they suggest that hitting someone defenseless is disgusting. Because it is, even if they hit you first. And it doesn't make you look very good when you react violently to that suggestion by bragging that you're an "equal opportunity ass-kicker".
What can I say? I just like to treat everyone equally, not based on gender. I'm not sexist.

WaltherFeng

Oct 1, 2012
Minimum force approach is the best way, regardless of the gender. A woman assaults you physically, therefore he is a threat to you, herself and everyone around her.

You restrain her, let her know that she has no right to do that and let her cool off. Once she verbally states that she's calm enough to have a discussion without flailing her arms around, you release her.

All this is basic use of force 101 and falls under justifiable self defence.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Yan007 said:
What can I say? I just like to treat everyone equally, not based on gender.
But you don't. And I suspect that you know you don't. Because we aren't born equal. And to suggest otherwise says to me that you're being deliberately obtuse. Hitting a 200lb man is not the same as hitting a 120lb woman. If you believe that it is then I have nothing to say to you and I don't believe that you are fit to have any discussion about the morality surrounding violence.

And the law is on my side, by the way.

Provocation is not a defence in most Western countries, and it is certainly not a justification, nor should it be. It's an excuse, and a partial one at best. Self defence only applies when you believe you are in danger. Any less is wrong.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Caiphus said:
Yan007 said:
What can I say? I just like to treat everyone equally, not based on gender. I'm not sexist.
But you don't. And I suspect that you know you don't Because we aren't born equal. And to suggest otherwise says to me that you're being deliberately obtuse. Hitting a 200lb man is not the same as hitting a 120lb woman. If you believe that it is then I have nothing to say to you and I don't believe that you are fit to have any discussion about the morality surrounding violence.

And the law is on my side, by the way.

Provocation is not a defence in most Western countries, and it is certainly not a justification, nor should it be. It's an excuse, and a partial one at best. Self defence only applies when you believe you are in danger. Any less is wrong.
And here's my final take on this: Ladies, be very aware that some men don't care about laws once you hit them. You would be very wise to never use force against anyone, especially 200lbs+ guys, and if you do, I hope you'll not be hitting me because I'll hit you back. That's one of the first things I'll teach my daughter if I have one - never ever engage a man physically because you don't know when your slap will be returned.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Yan007 said:
And here's my final take on this: Ladies, be very aware that some men don't care about laws once you hit them. You would be very wise to never use force against anyone, especially 200lbs+ guys, and if you do, I hope you'll not be hitting me because I'll hit you back. That's one of the first things I'll teach my daughter if I have one - never ever engage a man physically because you don't know when your slap will be returned.
And again with the vague threats.

I really do hate these threads.

Anyway, luckily, there are plenty of people who do care about laws. I hope that you teach any future daughters to stay away from people who don't.

WaltherFeng

Oct 1, 2012
He only knows how to respond to physical violence with more violence despite the fact that he claims "to go to gym 5 times a week".

As a security manager, I find that a terrible waste. More powerful you are, the easier it is to subdue another person without hurting yourself and him/her.

If your justification for use of force is "I want to hurt him as much as he did me", your priorities are completely screwed and shows that you have clear anger management issues.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Yan007 said:
Men don't simply beat weaker victims because they are weaker. Anything that is not a man will most likely be a woman (duh) and be weaker. On the other hand, males are the gender most likely to be assaulted, to die from violence and more male than female are molested/raped every single year.
I have been assaulted twice in my life.

Once by a guy who was just having a bad day and he happened to see me alone in an abandoned corridor where he could take out his anger and frustration on someone weaker.

The other time it was someone who wanted to teach a lesson for someone who is openly gay. And for some reason they didn't attack a burly gay guy one on one.

It is human nature to prey on those weaker than you.

Also where do you get your 'fact' than men are more likely to be molested and raped?

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
The majority of what I've been reading in this thread is idealistic crap, and I sincerely hope those people writing it are aware they aren't being realistic.

"You shouldn't ever hit someone unless your life depends on it .." Guess what, emotional responses happen ALL THE TIME and they will always win out against ideals you have unless you have been conditioned to accept ridiculous amounts of stress or antagonisation which isn't emotionally healthy.

The main problem with men hitting women as I see it is equivalency, some people may think "she hit me with half strength, I hit her with half strength that's fair" then it isn't (on average). Ideally it would be "She hit me with X pounds of force, so I shall hit back with X and it is equivalent" or even "I hit back with <X so she knows she wont get away with it" but even THESE more balanced approaches are likely to be brushed aside by an enraged mind.

I'd be surprised if someone could remember what they had for dinner the night before being in a physical confrontation of any type with the amount of control your brain has when put under that stress.

Surely an equally logical argument to "Guys shouldn't hit girls because reasons" is "Girls shouldn't hit guys because they'll get hurt much worse than the guy" - which I consider to be a far more convincing reason. There's already a saying like that though I guess; that goes "Don't start what you ain't prepared to finish".