How do my fellow escapists feel about guns? (The real kind)

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Pojo-san said:
I personally don't have a gun, but I would like to get one myself. I also would like to get a license to carry a handgun for protection. One day, I plan on owning a S&W 500 which is a Smith and Wesson 12 inch long 50 caliber revolver. It's one of the most powerful handguns ever made. It cost between $3,000-$5,000.

I know what you are thinking, "Why do you need that? What's the point?" My answer is this: "Are you going mess with someone who is pointing a massive thing right at your face?" No, you wouldn't.

Dude, don't overpay for guns. I've seen S&W 500 in Central Pennsylvania for 1,500 dollars used and in mint condition. That is a beautiful weapon though. The down side is you'll probably be pay around 5 dollars per bullet. That shit gets pricy fast.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
I've fired everything from a machine gun to a .22 handgun. I don't have a problem with my owning guns, but when any schmuck off the street can have one, it makes me nervous. I think responsible citizens should be able to own firearms, but maybe the laws should be more stringent.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Collecting and Hunting is fine, it's a hobby. War, fine, that's the whole point of it. Self-Defence is a bit meh, as long as your threatend with a firearm. Anything else, I'm a anti-guns.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
treeboy027 said:
VulakAerr said:
I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
Dude, seriously? Just because you disagree doesn't mean you can rip on the others. Believing a certain way in a certain cause is fine, and it's great to have opinions, but there's no need for the name calling.
Fair enough, and if I see an intelligent argument on here FOR guns, I'll back down, but so far the arguments for have been painfully flawed. The nigh-on religious love for guns some Americans have is, to be perfectly honest, disturbing. As somebody else said, the mere mention of revoking the right to bear arms in the US is met with such vitriol, I have to wonder what is so special about it. It's just bizarre. Why worship an object whose primary purpose is to kill?

dunk12345

Mar 19, 2009
Fact of the matter is there is a direct correlation between countries where guns are legal and countries with high gun crime. We see it in the news all too often and it's tragic.

Pojo-san

Sep 21, 2010
TheFPSisDead said:
Pojo-san said:
I personally don't have a gun, but I would like to get one myself. I also would like to get a license to carry a handgun for protection. One day, I plan on owning a S&W 500 which is a Smith and Wesson 12 inch long 50 caliber revolver. It's one of the most powerful handguns ever made. It cost between $3,000-$5,000.

I know what you are thinking, "Why do you need that? What's the point?" My answer is this: "Are you going mess with someone who is pointing a massive thing right at your face?" No, you wouldn't.

Dude, don't overpay for guns. I've seen S&W 500 in Central Pennsylvania for 1,500 dollars used and in mint condition. That is a beautiful weapon though. The down side is you'll probably be pay around 5 dollars per bullet. That shit gets pricy fast.
True, but it will be worth it. I got the price really from the official website because I have heard about and wanted to look it up. It will be my "special occasion gun."

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I like guns
my dad owned a .45, and let me shoot it when i was 9 yo so i actually knew how it worked and stopped looking for it in his bedroom (yeah, i was one of the curious kids, but he did the right thing, allowed me to shoot it and told me that if i wanted to shoot it i should always look for him, he allowed me to shoot it 2 or 3 more times and i lost interest)

but here in MX its illegal to own anything bigger than a 9 mm, and we cant carry it with us

now regarding this law... IF the guns were more regulated, less people would be able to get those higher caliber guns, but the gov doesnt really care, and you see narcs (dealers, drug sellers etc) with US military hardware, how they got them and how they use them is not a mistery its really easy to take things from the US to here, i could get any gun i want from over there and i could sell you anything i want from over here

ultimatelly, with the things as they are right now, ANYONE can get a gun and not have it registered, i mean, i find it funny that over at the US they can get the record of a gun used in a gun fight, and find previous owners, over here, i can go, shoot someone on the face with a shotgun, leave the shotgun there and no one will ever know who is the owner of that thing, even more, they will probably ask for help to the CIA and find that the gun used to be from someone over at the US, and then they would try to catch him to see who did he sold it to, which its stupid to think they will get somewhere like that

i would really like to see more regulation over here, and be able to "legally" own a gun that could actually scare a narc, that way things would be a little bit more "calm"

that or people would start killing other people just because they whinced, and it would be the wild west all over again... wich would be equally awesome :D

iBananaCrazy

Sep 20, 2010
Guns are fine with me, but that shouldn't come as a surprise seeing as I live in Tennessee. We only have one in our house, but I usually head over to my grandparents house, where there are LOADS of guns, and practice shooting ever now and then.

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
VulakAerr said:
treeboy027 said:
VulakAerr said:
I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
Dude, seriously? Just because you disagree doesn't mean you can rip on the others. Believing a certain way in a certain cause is fine, and it's great to have opinions, but there's no need for the name calling.
Fair enough, and if I see an intelligent argument on here FOR guns, I'll back down, but so far the arguments for have been painfully flawed. The nigh-on religious love for guns some Americans have is, to be perfectly honest, disturbing. As somebody else said, the mere mention of revoking the right to bear arms in the US is met with such vitriol, I have to wonder what is so special about it. It's just bizarre. Why worship an object whose primary purpose is to kill?
To me, anyways, it's not about the guns. It's what the guns represent. If the government decides to take away our right to bear arms, it's fair to assume that freedom of speech is next. (Which matters way more to me than guns.)

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I respect the fact that people enjoy shooting for sport, and moreover, recognize that people should be permitted to protect themselves. That being said, I think extensive background checks should be required prior to the purchase of a firearm, and furthermore, support tighter restrictions on the type of firearms and related technology made available to the public. For example, Jared Loughner should not have had access to an extended magazine. As a matter of fact, no one should. The only purpose such technology seems to serve is to facilitate as much carnage as possible. I don't think guns are evil, but given modern technology and ease of acquirement, they do pose a threat to public safety if sold blindly to the public.

Bottom Line: Only certain types of guns should be available to those who can pass an extensive background check that registers more than just felonies.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
danpascooch said:
if someone at the scene had a gun, and used it to stop the shooter.
Actually a man did have a gun and fired at the shooter, but missed however.

I believe there really shouldn't be a lot of gun restriction. Although everyone will have a gun, who is going to try anything? That's why countries with less control have lower crime rates. Especially, people need to consider gun control doesn't solve anything, criminals can still get guns, they aren't the ones going out and buying them at Wal-mart.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Azrael the Cat said:
Simple question. I live in Australia, where our murder rate (per person) is about one 90th (around 0.11) of the US rate. Most of the first world also has a murder rate around the same as Australia. Americans (as in US - Canada has about the same rate as Australia) kill each other at a rate that the rest of world find unimaginable.

So why is that the case? The fact that we don't have guns, and it is nigh impossible for a criminal to get his hands on a gun here (obviously gun controls won't work if you can just drive to the next state and buy one there - they work in Australia because they apply federally)? Or is the US just culturally barbaric?

Personally, I'd go with 'the guns'. If you prefer 'the US is culturally inferior' as an explanation, then be my guest...
This is just stupid reasoning. Just because someone finds a gun doesn't mean they're going to kill someone. Besides that, most of the guns that are used in crimes are illegal anyways. (For example, automatic firearms. Doesn't matter how it was bought, if it's automatic, it's illegal, even in the US) There are far too many variables to account for crime in the US to just narrow it down to "we're allowed to use guns".

That might also have to do with the fact that the US has a higher population than most other countries.

US= 311,890,694

Australia= 22,532,367

So yeah, study up on what you're preaching, because I don't want to be killed by someone robbing my house, just because some idiots decided that I wasn't allowed to own a gun for self defense.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
treeboy027 said:
VulakAerr said:
treeboy027 said:
VulakAerr said:
To me, anyways, it's not about the guns. It's what the guns represent. If the government decides to take away our right to bear arms, it's fair to assume that freedom of speech is next. (Which matters way more to me than guns.)
I really don't think there's any relation between the two. Many countries have the right to bear arms without free speech. The UK has free speech but strict gun laws. Anyway, when your media starts to properly exercise their right to free speech rather than acting like political puppets, maybe that'd be the time to worry about it?

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Fidelias said:
Azrael the Cat said:
Simple question. I live in Australia, where our murder rate (per person) is about one 90th (around 0.11) of the US rate. Most of the first world also has a murder rate around the same as Australia. Americans (as in US - Canada has about the same rate as Australia) kill each other at a rate that the rest of world find unimaginable.

So why is that the case? The fact that we don't have guns, and it is nigh impossible for a criminal to get his hands on a gun here (obviously gun controls won't work if you can just drive to the next state and buy one there - they work in Australia because they apply federally)? Or is the US just culturally barbaric?

Personally, I'd go with 'the guns'. If you prefer 'the US is culturally inferior' as an explanation, then be my guest...
This is just stupid reasoning. Just because someone finds a gun doesn't mean they're going to kill someone. Besides that, most of the guns that are used in crimes are illegal anyways. (For example, automatic firearms. Doesn't matter how it was bought, if it's automatic, it's illegal, even in the US) There are far too many variables to account for crime in the US to just narrow it down to "we're allowed to use guns".

That might also have to do with the fact that the US has a higher population than most other countries.

US= 311,890,694

Australia= 22,532,367

So yeah, study up on what you're preaching, because I don't want to be killed by someone robbing my house, just because some idiots decided that I wasn't allowed to own a gun for self defense.
I don't think the person is concerned with the individual. The simple fact of the matter is that the United States is saturated with firearms. Few other nations can compare. We do have an astonishingly high murder rate as far as developed nations are concerned. What the poster was trying to point out is that, following a program in which the Australian government bought back firearms from the public, the number of those killed by firearms was halved over a period of several years.

As for population numbers, I have a feeling that the person was speaking in terms of proportions. Our proportion of murder is likely much greater than their proportion of murder. Comparing raw numbers would be a pointless exercise, as you point out.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
guns are a device yous to kill, I can't believe someone would buy one for reasons other than to protect yourself from all the other people who have guns, its seems backward to me that firearms are allowed in america

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Treblaine said:
If the right to self defence is a basic human right then I see it as contradictory to deny civilians any right to firearms and/or the right to use them in self defence.

It's no good to say I can go fisticuffs with hardened thugs who mean me harm when as hardened criminals they'd always have the advantage after leading a life of violence. Not to mention regardless of weapon prohibition they can arm themselves with effective weapons from knives and clubs to black market firearms. Guns level the playing field, favour those on the defensive.
I got nothing to say but "hell yeah". United Kingdom, take note.

My answer to the question is that I like them. Not as much as a friend of mine (he has an AK, for god's sake) but I do intend to buy one one day.

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
VulakAerr said:
treeboy027 said:
VulakAerr said:
treeboy027 said:
VulakAerr said:
I really don't think there's any relation between the two. Many countries have the right to bear arms without free speech. The UK has free speech but strict gun laws. Anyway, when your media starts to properly exercise their right to free speech rather than acting like political puppets, maybe that'd be the time to worry about it?
Yes, they do, but they don't come from the same doctrine. I agree that it makes more sense that way, but that's not how we did it, so we have to live with it. It's compounded by the many politicians, extremists, or what have you that have been trying to nullify some part of the Constitution or other for as long as the US has been a country. So far, it's been pretty good about staying solid, (18th + 21st, eh) but when you get to the Bill of Rights, it's almost imperative that it stays, because whatever gets taken from the Bill of Rights leaves the rest open. Not to mention that the Bill of Rights was a consolation for non-cooperative states in the first place.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Guns should be respected, but not feared. No matter what laws are passed criminals will find a way to get guns, so taking them from everyone else would do nothing.