How do my fellow escapists feel about guns? (The real kind)

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Fidelias said:
Okay, I understand. And I thank you for putting your points across so politely.

However, I just want to point out my opinion.

1.No matter what country you name, it has crime.

2.A criminal could very easily break into my house.

3.I would not be able to defend myself without a gun.

So here's my point. I don't CARE that the US has an extremely high crime rate. I care that there's a chance that I might one day have someone break into my house to kill me or my family. I care about the fact that if I didn't have a gun, I would not be able to defend myself, and me, and my family, would be dead.
I think I need to clarify my position. I do no support a complete ban on firearms. In the right hands, a gun not only provides the means for sport, but also the means for security. However, I do believe in certain restrictions. Certain firearms and related technology should not be made available to the public, and moreover, certain people should not be permitted to possess firearms period. For example, I do not think the public should be allowed to purchase extended magazines. Furthermore, I think that background checks should register more than just felonies. With such measures in place, I think the rate of homicide resulting from firearms would be reduced without depriving honest people of sport and security.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
I kind of wish I owned a gun, because I am not a fighter at all, and they'd come in handy for self-defense. Plus I live in the UK

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
Guns? I personally don't much like them. I've know 2 different people to kill themselves on accdent with them. It's a real shame.

But I don't have a problem with me either. My Dad has quite a few. I understand the need and desire for self defence. And frankly, I can't see the logic in denying law abiding people guns. You want to keep the guns out of the crimanls hands obviously, but the bad guys will get their guns one way or another, law be damned. They are crimanls after all. :) So why leave people unprotected if they are law abiding people? Makes no since to me.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Nocturnal Gentleman said:
For the humane hunting thing I don't really care. Your aim in hunting is to kill your prey quickly. If you're damn good with a bow you can do still do that.
Sorry, I meant to expand on that. I was thinking mostly of those complete twats that go shooting with crossbows and end up having the animal running off and dying days later. In my book if you shoot an animal you are signalling your intent to kill that animal and you follow up until you're done. I consider a humane kill to be the one that takes the least time and doesn't let a maimed animal go.
It's okay. I just get kinda miffed when people tell me bow hunting is inhumane. I've never hunted large animals so they usually drop after two arrows.

The thing is I've worked in the forest service for a while and I've seen people pull the same bs with guns. Maybe they just have really crappy aim or they made a messy shot on purpose but the animal dies over several days. Sometimes it's painfully obvious they only wanted to half-ass cripple the animal and watch it crawl away. That never fails to piss me off no matter what they used.

metal mustache

Oct 29, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
Guns are a staple of life and as such, I don't see the reason why we shouldn't own one. Thats like telling a person in the 1700's that owning a sword is wrong.
I didn't realize many civilians in the 1700's carried swords.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
UltraDeth said:
I kind of wish I owned a gun, because I am not a fighter at all, and they'd come in handy for self-defense. Plus I live in the UK
Eh, it is highly unlikely that a firearm will deter a home invasion. You and your family are more likely to be harmed by owning a firearm than by not having one at all.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Its our right to bear arms, thats how I feel about it. I own several rifles, shotguns, handguns, knives, bows, and other various weapons. I used to hunt often, and still believe that deer meat blows the doors off of steak anyday. I also think that any idiot out there that thinks gun control will keep the guns out of the criminals hands, needs to have their heads evaluated. Gun control only hurts the law abiding citizens.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I don't need it anywhere near me unless an actual zombie attack does occur.
Until then, keep it in the movies kthx.

I don't want any accidents. I like all my body parts and I like going to the hospital for any reason as much as I enjoyed watching Eclipse. Which is none. At all.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Lerxst said:
mxfox408 said:
Lerxst said:
mxfox408 said:
Lerxst said:
The argument for owning guns is a self-perpetuating one that applies to any weapon. If no one owned one, there would be no need for any of them.

The only thing you accomplish in owning a gun is ensuring that another person will also own one.
Ummm last i checked we have the right to bear arms. As long as you own a gun without using it on others its fine with me.
We have the right to piss ourselves and defecate in our pants too. How many people do you see jumping on board with that one?
As long as you do it without hurting others fine by me.
Easy to say. Last I recall guns weren't intended to... make friendly conversations with your neighbors. Their purpose has a direct effect on other people, whether they're used or not.

Just because people have the right to do something, doesn't mean they should use it.
Well I knew several girls in my high school that only used their rifles in competitions. It was a fun outing thing and they got nice trophies to display. I also have family members that own guns solely for display. The guns are antique and they have no ammo for them.

Just because you buy guns doesn't mean you automatically want to kill something.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I hate to sort of half quote the terrible song, but guns don't kill people (bad people) do. If you know for a fact you aren't a murderer, guns are fine for you. They're for sport, and self defence, plus they can be a nice hobby. I don't hold with the use of guns negatively, though. No frightening people with guns, no shooting up people, or signs, or anything, these people shouldn't be allowed within twenty feet of a paintball gun. Hell, I wouldn't trust people who think intimidation with guns is funny with a god damn butter knife.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
Its our right to bear arms, thats how I feel about it. I own several rifles, shotguns, handguns, knives, bows, and other various weapons. I used to hunt often, and still believe that deer meat blows the doors off of steak anyday. I also think that any idiot out there that thinks gun control will keep the guns out of the criminals hands, needs to have their heads evaluated. Gun control only hurts the law abiding citizens.
This is simply not true. Reducing the number of guns among the civilian population does decrease the rate of death resulting from firearms. Believe it or not, a person who possesses a gun in his home is more likely to be harmed by that gun than he is by that of another. I'm not saying that such a generalization necessarily holds true for you, but the fact is that it does for others. Don't get me wrong: I don't advocate a complete ban on firearms. You seem like the type of responsible enthusiast who enjoys guns as a means of sport and security. However, I believe more extensive background checks are necessary in order to prevent people unlike you from purchasing firearms and related technology.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
veloper said:
It causes more trouble than it might help prevent crime.
^seconded.

Anyway, I own guns, I think if you want to own them, you should be competent enough to own one, and impossible to tell, so its hard to say. I just think that its dangerous to have them.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Weapons of war which americans can't just take maturely enough. It's the Wild West combined with WW2 and Vietnam I guess.

And I don't understand those defending them by referring to hunting. I thought hunting was about, you know, going into the wild to get your food the old-fashioned way (ie. getting the kill and processing it yourself, not chucking spears at galloping deers).

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
VulakAerr said:
I'm shocked and horrified and what I'm reading. The only person who seems to be making a clear point is Azrael The Cat. Guns are designed to kill. Guns are incredibly effective at this job. Do you really want tools designed to kill freely available on your country's streets? I don't.

Shootings don't occur at an NRA meeting or gun club because why would somebody turn on their fellow gun-nut? If nobody has guns, it's a fuckload safer than if everybody does. All it takes is one jittery nutjob...

I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
Wow, so someone with an opposing viewpoint of yours is immediately labeled as stupid, hmm? Are you saying that I am beneath vaguely intelligent because I am a responsible gun owner? How frigging petty.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Koroviev said:
Riff Moonraker said:
This is simply not true. Reducing the number of guns among the civilian population does decrease the rate of death resulting from firearms. Believe it or not, a person who possesses a gun in his home is more likely to be harmed by that gun than he is by that of another. I'm not saying that such a generalization necessarily holds true for you, but the fact is that it does for others. Don't get me wrong: I don't advocate a complete ban on firearms. You seem like the type of responsible enthusiast who enjoys guns as a means of sport and security. However, I believe more extensive background checks are necessary in order to prevent people unlike you from purchasing firearms and related technology.
Now I have absolutely no problem with even more extensive background checks. I have no argument with that.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I like guns, I really do. I wanted to purchase a pellet rifle (which is about the closest thing you'll get in Briton without the need for a license) and I even made a thread about it. Sadly, the local gun store closed down before I had the chance to buy one...

I'd like to go over to America one time and visit one of the shooting ranges. I'd like the idea of sport shooting... Sounds like a good amount of fun. I also see there need for self defence and I can accept the arguement that is made for them. However I will put that Americans do seem to be the most paranoid people on the planet when it comes to them.

You mention anything bad about guns and you'll always get the same reply "If citizens cans get guns... Only the criminals can get them". Which, having lived in a country with extremely tight gun laws all my life, sounds hilariously naive and paranoid. Sure you can get a gun off the black market if you chose... However its much harder to get hold of one and you won't see many random thugs carrying them.

Those criminals that do manage to get them illegally are mostly organised criminals who probably won't be wasting there time trying to rob your average man.

That and well... I've yet to see a news report coming from America where a gun as really helped some one out or helped thwart a random mall shooter... There probably have been cases like this but I haven't seen many and it doesn't seem to happen often. Most people when they see shit like this happen, cower in fear. Though if it makes people sleep safer at night then I won't stop you.

Now before you start jumping down my neck... As said above I love guns and I'd love to own my own. I'd love to go to America, preferably Texas, and shoot there. I don't have anything against people owning them... I don't even have anything against people who hunt with them. I just get quite annoyed when people jump down others necks with the whole "If guns were illegal, only criminals will have them" crap.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
bartholen said:
Weapons of war which americans can't just take maturely enough. It's the Wild West combined with WW2 and Vietnam I guess.
Because there is no such thing as Americans who own guns but haven't used them on anyone. Nope. If this is your major argument than I guess other countries with legal gun ownership are full of murderers.