How do you coup with pain?

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
I can't take emotional pain too well though. I start second guessing if I am a good person or not, or even if I deserved or caused most of what my family did to me from a possibility of being a bad person. I've yet to been able to filter out what people reflect from themselves to me, verbally. That actually hurts.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I make intimidating grunts like this http://vocaroo.com/?media=vivMCx9rlcNLQkalk

For the physical pain, for emotional I cry, but my threshold is pretty high.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
I Cope by swearing. Repeatedly. Obscenely.
I fell off a wakeboard once and cracked my head so hard on impact with the water I blacked out for a moment. I couldn't move for a few seconds I was so stunned. My colourful language could be heard 50 metres away over a boat engine.

DoubleTime

Apr 23, 2010
Swearing, if it's bad enough or super sudden, like stubbing my toe.

Mostly, though, I try meditative breathing (oxygen is your friend!) and various mantras depending on the pain.

It's amazing how peaceful, positive thoughts help. Got the idea from a new-age-y book my BF's mom has. Different ailments have corresponding psychological causes and a positive phrase or "new thought pattern" to say to yourself to change it. I don't really believe in it, but every time I look through the darn thing it's right... o_o Granted it can't cure cancer or anything, but at least it helps make you feel better about stuff.

TL;DR
-Breathing
-Relaxing thoughts

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I treat physical pain like it's the end of the world especially if it's something small.I complain about it till everyone gets pissed off.Then I go and brake a bone and I watch everyone panic trying to help me with it and I keep exceptionally calm and quiet telling them what to do.That's how a real man takes it.

Emotional pain is different.I curl up and eventually go to speak with a certain friend.Then I usually get mad or just do something else or I say "bugger it all" and I slowly go numb to it until I can continue with my every day life.It's fairly hard to cope with and it happens often.

Bootbunny

Sep 9, 2009
Well for physical pain I pretend that it is waaay worse then it actually is, which oddly enough works (never had any SERIOUS physical pain in my life, so idk how well it would do on that)

As for emotional, I just think about it a lot. Every aspect about it. All the what ifs, all future possibilities, all the heres and all the nows. Catch my drift?

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I usually tell myself it's not so bad or swear a lot, or if my dogs around, sit with him. I have no idea why that last one works.

SirDoom

Sep 8, 2009
Minor pain- Turn on my masochist side and sit back.
Major pain- Get in the position that makes the area hurt the least, adopt a "short but deep inhaling, slow and constant exhaling" breathing system, and seek help from there.

Emotional pain- ignore it if small, wait it out if major. You can't really do much for that. Taking your mind off of it only delays it's end.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
If it's a headache I take pain pills, if it's something else I tend to ignore it. If that doesn't work, I get annoyed and try to beat the wound more, so that after the immense pain, it won't hurt in comparison to the moment when I did that.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
If it's something small, like I stubbed my toe, I laugh through the pain. If it's bigger, I curse the sun away. If it's internal, headache or stomachache, I hunker down and wait it out, moaning and groaning the whole way.

Kernalgohd

Nov 8, 2010
Physical pain? well despite being a scrawny nerd, i believe you cant relieve pain properly without feeling a large amount first, so i seek the most painful way to fix my pain, Mental pain i just try to forget about it, you know, play games and such.... maybe I got a lot of that and that's why I'm a nerd... huh... its a thinker...

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Physical pain I cope by either distracting myself or swearing a lot. Emotional pain I just don't really deal with and I tend to get self destructive which isn't good I know.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Physical pain? I just curse loudly if no one is around, or I make loudish grunting/yelling noises, which usually end in swearing anyway. As for emotional pain....well, it depends on what it is. But either alcohol (As I have done too many times in the past) or simply move on with life and find something constructive to do for a while.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Well I find pain very useful for coups, I opt to apply it liberally to all who oppose me.

Severe physical pain tends to leave me angry more than anything else, it just pisses me off, really badly.

Similarly illness really pisses me off, if I'm feverish I get furious that I can't just get better and tend to get pretty angry about it. Not lashing out at anyone angry, just growling and finding a punching bag to play with.

Emotional pain tends to deaden me, my best defence is to close off and just go emotionless. Not even I know what's going on there but serious emotional pain leaves me empty for a long time.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Physical? Gritted teeth or swearing if it's bad or just being annoyed if it's minor.

Emotional? Cry. Get it out of your system and move on. Holding it in fucks you up and makes it hurt worse.