How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I sure remember it, i was 16 and for some reason didnt have to go to school, or i was "sick" at home i dont know anymore. Well whyever i was home i could watch the whole events from the beginning on TV. The confusion and lack of information when it started and the live footage of plane 2 crashing and later the buildings collapsing.
my brother was still living in my parents house and so we watched it together ,but got bored pretty quick, we had a beer and after several hours our main problem was that due to the round-the-clock report on every channel they didnt show the simpsons like everyday. i was pretty pissed because of this. Dont want to be insensitive, but foreign people dying in far away countries is 50% of everydays news. It was pretty clear some big consequences would follow, but honestly we didnt care much about the event itself, we actually were pretty psyched that some interesting change might happen to the world.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
It's viewed as less of an event here in Australia than it is in the United States, I would wager. Our politicians like to talk about it a lot more than the average person does.

Dec 16, 2009
a waste of life through terrorism is a terrible thing.

but it feels like the American people think the Sept 11th attacks are the first ever terrorist attacks to ever happen.

IRA attacks in the UK went on for decades before 2001.
the world is full genocide, murder and terrorist acts; as a nation move on, as for individuals who may have lost family members to the attacks, you have my deepest sympathies

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Cyrax987 said:
Images said:
Cyrax987 said:
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
So because people don't know any of the 3000+ people killed, they shouldn't care and feel bad for those that lost their lives? I find it pretty distasteful that you don't think it wasn't a big deal considering it was a LOT of civilian deaths. Not trying to give you "This is 'Merica!" speech but seriously dude.

A lot of people were affected by it in a lot of emotional ways regardless of knowing any of the victims just like how Pearl Harbor affected the people that were alive when that happened. I'm sure other people feel the same for tragic attacks in their country as well.
Dear Lord. Now you're bringing up Pearl Harbour? Why not August the 6th 1945? What happened on September 11th was not "an attack" like any in war, it was a criminal action perpetrated by some nasty deranged bastards. Thats it. In that case, why not the Oklahoma City bombings if that's the specific field of study? No? Though I'm not saying the world should hold barn dances specifically on September 11th we should not all have to torture ourselves over it forever. Life goes on. Its overuse in U.S. politics as almost a catchphrase is sickening. There is bad shit happening in the world TODAY lets focus on that now shall we?
It was an example to get my point across...

Way to completely ignore the rest of my post and attack me on one little thing I brought up to make my point. It was a major attack, it wasn't a dozen people like 24 it was over 3000 people. Life does go on and I have already done that and I don't try and shove 9/11 down people's throats.

But to actually say it wasn't a big deal at all is a lie because it was, and not just for Americans. Just like the tsunami and earthquake that devastated Japan. I think I'm done pretty much in this thread, I've explained my views and defended them and there is nothing else to say. I'm not going to go pray for an hour but I do remember it.

I'm not insulting anyone and I don't mind if people don't take it as anything important to them personally because that is their right and it wasn't something the whole world should have to care about. I know on the internet it is popular to bash America but I'm sure there was a lot of people from different countries that had plenty of sympathy for the attacks on that day just like I had sympathy for the attacks in India. I felt bad for the people that were killed during the riots that happened this year and especially the earthquake/tsunami that happened to Japan.

All I was trying to do was make my point that it was kind of a big deal at the time and that it isn't wrong for Americans to care about the incident even though they didn't have personal loved ones killed. I'm listening to Daft Punk so nothing can put me in a bad mood by the way.
I think you misunderstand the opposition. People overseas AGREE that it was an important event in History, but we're turned off and even aggravated by your almost religious fascination with the event and how you've literally let your culture come to a grinding standstill over your obsession over it.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I share basic sympathies for those whom lost someone in the 9/11 attack, but nothing much further than that, due to being a Canadian - and henceforth, a citizen of another nation. While I can understand the sentiments about 9/11, I do believe it is very much overblown, and that particular Neo-Conservative Patriotism that reeks from the most vocal of American citizens ("HUR HUR GREATEST COUNTRY IN WORLD", "GOD FAVORS AMERICA", "LAND OF UNPARALLELED FREEDOM/LIBERTY", etc) that unfortunately latches onto the event of 9/11 for political and economic points with the American people is just downright annoying.

Yes, you got unexpectedly attacked on your own soil by a foreign enemy (not government or nation), and thousands of innocent lives were lost to prove a point (American soil/citizens were no longer invulnerable to the realities of outside warfare and conflict/terrorism created by their own governments of past). I have no issue with American's mourning the death's of those lost that day to extremists. But, would it hurt to just.. tone it down a bit? That's all I ask.

Also, it is a little hard to feel complete sympathy for one side alone when hundreds of thousands of innocents whom were in no way linked to the event of 9/11 are now dead due to an invasion of their homeland by the paranoia, anger and fear (a need for a scapegoat) that followed..

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
Canadian here. I remember most of the day it happened. At the time I thought "It's about time someone stuck it to them". I remember at the time I was still infuriated over the soft wood lumber fiasco.

10 years later I think I still feel the same way. The entire world has been putting up with the USA's shit for so long it was bound to happen, as I'm sure it will continue to until they get their fingers our of everyone else's pie.

The true tragedy surrounding the event are the civilians and soldiers killed or wounded during the subsequent meaningless wars.

tthor said:
It was a big reminder for many people that war and major attacks like this can happen at home, and not just in some distant 3rd-world country or something.
This right here is the attitude that squashes even the slightest chance of me giving a fuck. It's the idea that many Americans think it's fine if this sort of thing happened in a "third-world country".

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
No one really cares where I'm from (Sweden).
As far as how it affected me, I am pretty sure that's where the point where the united states went from the land of dreams to the country everybody loves to hate.

Everyone loved the states when I was a kid.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
I don't know. I feel the tragedy, but it seems a bit too overbloated.
Censoring and editing older movies that were made many years before it happened, because they had a glimpse of the twin towers sort of bugs me.

The_General

Sep 13, 2008
I view it as an orchestrated attempt at getting casus bellum for taking away civil rights and starting a few profitable wars, but that's far from being the general consent, despite all the science having been done. What has the media done to us?

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
In the UK, I think the politicians and media have been making a bigger deal out of it than anyone else. The BBC has been showing archive footage, interviews and live feeds for the past week and politicians have been racing to be interviewed on their thoughts of how it changed the world.

That's not to say that it isn't thought of as a big deal here in the UK, I'm fairly sure that it killed more British people than any other terrorist attack and it's (understandably) considered more horrifying than the 7/7 bombings in London, it's just I don't think that comparatively we make nearly as much of a deal about it.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Well I wasn't terribly aware of current affairs at the time. While I can see that it was bad, whenever people die it's bad, I am getting a bit sick of the media milking every last cent out of it. It would be best if we could just remember what happened, honour the dead and move on.

GoldenFish

Jun 10, 2011
I didn't even notice it was "9/11" today, I just thought it was a normal day like every year (yes including 2001). As a New Zealander I really don't care. As others have already said it's too hyped up and to be honest a little bit whiny.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Australian, I was wishing we could all move past this about five years ago, yes, something happened, let's move on. Now when people talk about it I just find it annoying. I'm also somewhat against ANZAC day for similar reasons.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
In Scotland (and I suppose the UK as a whole), we're respectful. There are a lot of documentaries on the BBC about the events, but other than that we've moved on. Oslo is a far fresher wound for now, considering how close Scotland is geographically to Norway. Even fresher still are the London riots, and there were only around five casualties from that.

Having said that, the 2001 Clear Channel memorandum was ridiculous.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Actually, it's left a pretty big impact here in Germany. Just yesterday we got terror alerts, and several suspects from ongoing investigations were apparently arrested.

Personally, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened, and I don't think I'll ever really forget. The shock and horror of it all, and the pervasive sense of dread that followed, that sticks with you; not all the time, mind you, but it's there nonetheless. I also lost a distant relative in the event (he was actually working in one of the towers), but I hardly knew him, so his death didn't affect me too badly.

On a completely unrelated note: Escapist, PLEASE employ a different kind of Captcha. It took me about 20 refreshes to actually get something I could decipher.

Archaic Thought

Mar 13, 2010
As an American, the day it happened was terrible. But the constant attention that usually starts a week before the 11th every year is a bit much. Every decade would be good, every year...not so much. It's kind of lost significance as a day of mourning, it's more of a day to make politicians look good with an endless amount of speeches.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I spent my entire childhood having to be aware that, at any time, my town could be the target of a major attack by terrorists.. because I grew up during The Troubles in the UK.

When this happened to the US, I was sad, it truly was a terrible thing. However, it was ten years ago and the US' response was just as disgusting. The appropriate response to terrorism is to try to make the world a better place. You cannot fight terrorism and fundamentalism with guns and bombs, you must fight it with reason, tolerance and compromise.

Now, on the day of it, I was actually extremely concerned.. a friend of mine was meant to be in the building at the time... fortunately, it turned out she was okay, but her sister was not. I was as horrified as everyone else, and I believe it should be remembered. However, it is no longer about that one tragedy, it is not about an excuse for war, jingoistic hatred and "Us vrs Them" mentality that have turned it into an even greater tragedy than it ever was.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Not to sound like a douche but those are my views as well. I understand why you think its a big deal but for us it was a tragic event that people need to move on from.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Cheshire the Cat said:

Simple fact, if your god damn country had the same thing happen *lets say instead of America, it was your country* don't you think you would remember the day.

A great loss REMAINS a great loss, and remembrance should be taken on some scale.
Hell, that happened 10 years ago, thats still pretty recent, thus any mourning should keep mourning until the people that lived / people who remember watching it die off, then it will become something similar to the civil war, people remember it, but they take it to there is no mourning to be done, because all has been mourned.
In my opinion, people saying "OH ITS OBSESSIVE, GET OVER IT USA!" Is a different deal, and disrespectful in taste, remembering it once a year is not a bad thing, once a year is not obsessive, it would BE obsessive to have a remembrance page in every newspaper for every day. As pointed out up top, if your country had that happen, a symbol of your countries well being *Trade Center is a example* destroyed without provotion, and thousands of innocent people, just going to work, saw that symbol fall. I almost guarantee a similar thing would happen with your country, mourning would occur.

I am NOT saying that you should not care, but you SHOULD let people mourn as much as they want, saying GET OVER IT is rude and disrespectful for those who have died.

SonicKaos said:
Most people here (Canada) say they remember what they were doing when they heard the news, so I guess people still care about it. I personally have no clue what I was doing at the time, because it wasn't a big deal to me at the time. I mean, I do feel bad for everyone who lost their lives/loved ones, absolutely... but it was 10 years ago, and thousands of people die every day for similar reasons (though smaller incidents).
If someone you knew died personally, then you have every right to make a big deal out of it each year. If not, then by now I think it should be put into the back of our minds. Pay your respects as you will of course, but there is no need to make a huge deal about it on the news and whatnot anymore.
9/11 matters because it was unexpected in that country, but worse things happen every day elsewhere that no one cares about. Not saying it's right, but it's true.
Theres a difference between thousands of people dying, all in different ways, at random, then there is a person plotting the death of thousands, the fall of a symbol to the people, and using planes, full of legal citizens, being rammed into the symbol and at a very political, important place, starting a war, LOSING many because of that war, then the original start being un-warned.
Simply being, YOU DON'T SEE FUCKING COUNTRIES SYMBOL OF PROSPERITY BEING KNOCKED OVER BY PASSENGER PLANES EVERY DAY, DO YOU!

Look, I'm american, and as such, I should at least care about that date in a small significance, but saying "GET OVER IT AMERICA, LOLZ!" Is just disrespectful in a large chunk of ways, you can care as much as you god damn please over seas *or others on this continent* but don't just say get over it, because I bet your country would be doing the same.
*10 years isn't a long time people, remember that.

EDIT: Forgot one thing, this remembrance will probably end now that the man that plotted it is dead. So anyone who doesn't give a shit won't have to hear it anymore. I'm sorry if I was a ass in my original post, but as far as I see, any country, even REMOTELY that cared about its people, would set a official date for mourning.
As I pointed out above, once all that have witnessed it are dead, then the date will become less and less about it, but until then, it will either cease, or continue quietly.
*doesn't mean people won't mourn, but it won't be quite as a huge mourning holiday.*