How or why did your parents choose your name?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
They were deciding between Patrick and Joshua and eventually stuck with Patrick and its an Irish name (we're from irish descent) and my grandad's name also.

CounterReproductive

Apr 9, 2010
My middle names initial is G, making my full initials AGP put a space in there and you get A GP. I think my mother wanted me to be a doctor (In the UK where I am from) A General Practitioner fpor those of you still slightly confused

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
They didn't; my sister did. She thought Anton was a far more fitting name than Björn.

I have to agree, Anton > Björn.

Drazeric

Feb 24, 2010
i was named after a soap opera character....my mom and uncle had a deal that who ever had a boy first could name him Joshua.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
My name is fairly unique, it was my great uncle's middle name or something I think. Only a few other people I know have it (well, have heard of; I don't know them personally).
When I have kids I'm probably gonna make up a name for them. I think it's important to have a good unique name. It is part of a person's identity, after all.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
Friendshipandmagic said:
Palademon said:
Both me (Jonathan) and my brother's (Matthew) names mean "Gift of God".

My parents are nowhere near religious but it sounded nice.
Mine is "Honoring God", I ended up the non religious black sheep of the family.
Black sheep of your family, but nothing else considering how many 'black sheep' there are out there.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Mateen. Apparently it's one of the names of God and means "wonderful" or "Powerful".
It also means I can be called Martin by non-Malay speaking people.
I also share the name of the son of our country's sultan

Myf

Jan 12, 2011
I was gonna be named Tommie (I'm a girl) but the rest of the family did not aprove so i was named Marie... everyone calls me Maria instead wich makes me furious cuz we all know Maria is a slutt name!! (jk)

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
My parents named me after the giant in norse mythology.

The giant that was used to make the world, out of his body.

Jackstick

May 25, 2011
exarkunsith said:
They needed a name for the death certificate, first name they came up with.

Doctors said i wasn't going to make it past 12 hours.

Showed them.
Wow, are you serious? What was wrong, if you don't mind me asking?

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Actually, that's one question a lot of people ask about my name. My parents gave me this name because my dad thought of a Norwegian name (i.e. Nels) which meant "Champion" in its language. I still think it's cool. My last name is also Norwegian as well and comes from my dad's side.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
I was named after my grandfather. Tom. Well thats the short Thomas really. It's a sucky name I'm going to change it in afew years.
Exactly the same here. Also getting it changed when I move away for Uni.

Ashtovo

Jul 25, 2009
i was named ofter my Eighth great grand father (10 generations ago, i believe thats eighth, if not please correct me)

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
My dad thought it would be a good name to shout in a pub...hence the name Samuel...but if anyone calls me that I swear to god they'll be a murder spree...

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
They were going to name me Gabriel, but decided against it because they were worried I would be teased for it.

No idea how they came up with my current name though. It means Dove, for those interested.
Biblical name... Would much rather have a Norse one. *shrug*

Edit: Sorry for double-posting.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Mechsoap said:
My parents named me after the giant in norse mythology.

The giant that was used to make the world, out of his body.
So your name's Yme? Or Ymir?

Never heard that one before. I do know a couple of twins named Eir and Frøy though.