I don't like Half Life :C

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Headsprouter said:
Borderlands.

I have a friend that loves it. It's a good game...but having MILLIONS of guns doesn't appeal to me as much as having a few guns and great gameplay.

...and COD. It's another good game. But i don't see what makes it a great game.
it has good gameplay and great gameplay in the claptrap revolution!

mass effect
I don't like it but at least I can see why people find it awesome.

Shayne Haugen

Sep 22, 2010
bulldogftw said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops. The best call of duty game? No that would be number 4.
I find the call of duties made by treyarch arn't as good as infinity wards. the sad thing is i think infinity ward isn't gunna be making them any more.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Metal Gear Solid.
I tried it at a friends house fisrt, but i just couldn't wrap my head around it.
I then bough MGS 2 second-hand, since it was supposed to be the best in the series (and i didn't think 10 min of gameplay is enough to judge a game on). But once again, i just didn't get what was so great about it.
Th stealth is terrible (I Play Splinter Cell games. THAT, is stealth gameplay), and since it was a stealth game, any attempts to go guns blazing was suicide. I felt too detached from the character (no early cutscenes for the player to get to know him, plus camera was too far away) and kept comparing it to how inferior it was to Splinter Cell (Which was the kind of gameplay i was expecting).

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games.
No, you are one of those thousands of people who do not like a videogame that millions of people liked. You are nothing special.

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
DominicxD said:
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games.
No, you are one of those thousands of people who do not like a videogame that millions of people liked. You are nothing special.
...I wasn't attempting to call myself special. I was merely alluding to the fact that I am the only gamer I know of - including my own father - who doesn't like Half Life. :p I'm happy these forums have proved me wrong.

Now, let's talk about Star Trek V being the best of the movie franchise...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
The Homeworld games.

They're extremely epic, and beautiful to look at, but some of the long-odds they put you up against in the single player campaigns are just absurd. That and it's a lot easier for a computer to manipulate units in a 3D environment than a human. Not that they didn't do the best they could.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
The First Half-life and Dragon age. DA:O to me is fairly slow and I feel like I'm drowning in dialogue.(wtf why is googlechrome saying it's wrong) and Half-life too is kinda slow for me.

Hunter6475

Nov 19, 2009
bulldogftw said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops. The best call of duty game? No that would be number 4.
I agree with this, CoD 4 had the best balance between singleplayer and multiplayer. As for the OP's statement, I thought the Half Life Series was okay, I mean its fun to play alittle bit, but its definitely overhyped of how good it is. Just my opinion.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Megacherv said:
You'd rather play Unreal or Quake?

...I'll let this one slide...

With the point of discussion, with my friends I'm the opposite with Halo: Reach. Despite my friends originally liking Halo a lot more than me, and I finally got into it at a later date, I'm the only one who really wants to play Reach. Sure it's Halo 3 with jetpacks, but I liked Halo 3 (eventually), and I love jetpacks.
Same for me. Friends got me into halo, Friends can't get me out of halo to play cod zombies.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I don't like any of the Call of Duty games, Single or Multi-player. The only exception is 4 which I thing had a pretty decent campaign, all the ones before 4 were boring to me and all the ones after 4 seemed to me as more uninspired versions of 4.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Bioshock. The environment and enemies were unnerving for the first 10 minutes, and then they were the same for the entire game. There were a few good moments (like that guy who wanted pictures of his enemies' corpses) but mainly it was pretty mediocre.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
RebellionXXI said:
The Homeworld games.

They're extremely epic, and beautiful to look at, but some of the long-odds they put you up against in the single player campaigns are just absurd. That and it's a lot easier for a computer to manipulate units in a 3D environment than a human. Not that they didn't do the best they could.
Ahem:

Joking aside, I've only played the first Homeworld... and it's my favourite game of all time. I find it very easy and intuitive to manipulate the units in 3D, and I never found the odds unbeatable (though I did make liberal use of Salvage Corvettes). I heard the second was much worse in the level scaling department, though.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Netrigan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Megacherv said:

With the point of discussion, with my friends I'm the opposite with Halo: Reach. Despite my friends originally liking Halo a lot more than me, and I finally got into it at a later date, I'm the only one who really wants to play Reach. Sure it's Halo 3 with jetpacks, but I liked Halo 3 (eventually), and I love jetpacks.
correction... halo 3 with jetpacks, improved Forge Editor (seriously, WAAAAAY improved), a higher degree of multiplayer customization (bottomless clips and 200% jump height anyone?) and Firefight.
Word of warning, never play the "Better Customization" game with a PC gamer. 1999's Unreal Tournament probably had more customization options and mods than Reach... and came with an easy to use and powerful map editor. Didn't have jetpacks though. Did have wall-jumping if I'm remembering correctly... although that might have been UT 2003/4 that introduced that one.
i think if you're talking about Halo 3 and Reach then it's pretty safe to assume it's a console gamer we're talking about here

Vaer

Jan 24, 2008
00slash00 said:
i dont know how far into the story you got, but it really doesnt come together until late in the game. the first one, you dont even really know whats going on, until near the end of the game. but when i did learn who i was and what was going on, it was a big moment. if you arent a d&d fan then it might be more difficult to get into the games. i love d&d and baldurs gate 1 and 2 are not only two of my favorite rpgs, they are two of my favorite games.

oh and ps-it makes me happy to see someone who appreciates the awesome that was fallout 1 and 2 (though i thought fallout 1 was by far the best of the series
Like I said, the game really just didn't get me interested.. I don't know, maybe I'll give it another shot I didn't play it for more then I dunno 3... 4 hours maybe, I know that's a very small amount of time to get in to a rpg I know that much but it just didn't grasp my attention for some reason, it bored me really.. I don't know how to explain it.

As far as being a fan of d&d, well... I'm not a fan of the pen&paper d&d since I never even tried it for whatever reasons, but I do like crpgs that feature the d&d and ad&d system, in fact most of my favorites use them KotOR 1&2, NWN 1&2( for the first nwn didn't like the campaign at all but the gameplay was solid and the great amounts of quality mods really made it one of the games that I always have installed ), The Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Netrigan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Megacherv said:

correction... halo 3 with jetpacks, improved Forge Editor (seriously, WAAAAAY improved), a higher degree of multiplayer customization (bottomless clips and 200% jump height anyone?) and Firefight.
Word of warning, never play the "Better Customization" game with a PC gamer. 1999's Unreal Tournament probably had more customization options and mods than Reach... and came with an easy to use and powerful map editor. Didn't have jetpacks though. Did have wall-jumping if I'm remembering correctly... although that might have been UT 2003/4 that introduced that one.
i think if you're talking about Halo 3 and Reach then it's pretty safe to assume it's a console gamer we're talking about here
I read surprise in his statement. His statement that he was slow to warm to Halo makes me think he's a PC gamer who switched over to consoles.

I'm much the same way. I'm not a huge fan of Half-Life, but I find myself defending it from console fans out of habit. I'm the first to admit that it's not the end-all be-all and probably hasn't aged nearly as gracefully as Valve fans think it has... but it's release was probably the biggest seismic shift in first person gaming, completely transforming the way games were presented. You may not like the game, but it's still one of the most important releases of the genre.

But upon reading that the OP preferred older PC games, I was like, "well, that's alright then".