In-Game Attack Costs EVE Player $1200

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
HT_Black said:
This, children, is why the first things you add to ANY custom ship in that game is a quick-warming Warp Drive and triple-value insurance. You'd think after the last time the Goons blew up a flagship, the community at large would have learned that.

What? Did you except sympathy? Don't kid yourself, I love this kind of story.
^This
*High fives with utmost of respect*

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I love this article. The best part was how well the player seemed to take the loss. He could build another one with the same specs! That's just brilliant!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The best part is the names of the corporations that joined up to attack him. I'd name that coalition 'For Lulz And Monies'.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
ldwater said:
"Don't fly what you can't afford to loose" - Simple EVE motto.
It's, erm, "lose", not "loose". But otherwise, dead on. You're never "safe" in EVE unless you're parked in a station. Present a tempting enough target and someone will have a go at it.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
As a wise man one said

Why the hell would you cram 600 tons of gold onto one ship, thats just asking for trouble!

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
So whats mine or any ones incentive to play EVE? or for that matter do any thing big in EVE collect anything in EVE? try to do any of the missions and other such things that would require this type of ship?
the point of the game is risk and reward, these kind of ships and fittings are for big corporate ops with a full support fleets.

It would be stupid op if you could fly that kind of ship to do solo missions. There needs to be a risky balancing factor.

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
the corporations Honorless Internet Jerks, Ex Obscuritas, Suddenly Ninjas, Alarm Clock Corp and Defner.org
Honorless Internet Jerks and Suddenly Ninjas seem like the best 2 names for clans doing this.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Im sorry, but to be honest, i have no feelings of sorrow twards his loss.

Infact, i think i will laugh myself to sleep tonight.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Meh. As soon as you can trade in-game currency for real money the game is broken. Pets are okay, mounts I can let slide, gear... depends but you are on really shakey ground, but money is too central to everything particularly in Eve. If you buy money from gold farmers, that's cheating. But if you buy it from the company, it's a broken game.

Sorry to see they went this direction. It had potential if there were more you could do with your avatar and there was more content to keep you going in the early game.

It may still be a good space corporate fantasy simulator, but it's not a game.

Tmc_Sherpa

Oct 28, 2009
Most MMOs out there today are like a FPS, you die you pop back up and go get your crap. EVE is not, if you treat her like that you will be bored out of your skull or rage quit the first time something goes south. EVE is more like Civ, you need to be thinking long term play. For every way there is to make iskies there is a way to lose it even faster. A high skill point character in the same ship, same fit is maybe 10-20% 'better' than you are from a raw statistics point of view but a highly skilled player can more than make up the difference. There is no such thing as 'best' in EVE, every ship and strategy is situational. One day your cleaning house in your battle ship, the next day your downed by a few players in frigates. You spot a trend in the market and rake in the cash for a few days, then everyone else dog piles in and your profits go poof. Got a good system for mining ore? Know the area, check your maps, look at local, try and fly different routes in and out 'cus if people smell money they will follow you around and try and take it. Same advice holds if you want to get into hauling, commercially or just moving your own gear. Find some friends, if you don't have any get a trial account going to scout the route. There is a disgusting amount of information available in the game, with all the map data (kills, pilots in system, all sorts of fun stuff) it should take carelessness on your part or someone who really wants your ship to get into serious trouble. Or dumb luck.

Kenny said it best. You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Know when to walk away, know when to run. In EVE it's not paranoia, everyone else IS trying to get you.

Fly Safe O7

this rambling stream of consciousness is brought to you by sleep deprivation and the number 4.

SkyKitty

Dec 15, 2009
This doesn't sound like such a fun game...

How do newer players not get assraped instantly?

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Lightslei said:
People on this thread need to learn to read. The guys not remotely mad about it.

Seems kind of stupid for a suicide attack like that though.
Why isn't he mad? He just lost $1200 dollars worth of play time?

Tharwen said:
You don't actually lose real money like that. It's impossible to buy in-game currency (legally) with real money, so all he would have lost is enough ISK for several years of game time (which he probably had elsewhere anyway).
The ISK still has the value of real money though. ISK can be used to buy a service that also costs real money. If he used the ISK to buy 7 years of game time, that's $1200 extra cash in his wallet that he can use on something else (assuming he' planning on playing for that long).

In other words, it's like if someone stole a $1000 gift certificate from you, or $1000 of XBox Live points. Neither of those currencies can be exchanged back for real money, but I bet you'd still be pissed if you lost them.