Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
La Barata said:
Something like this speaks directly to the bullied teenager in all of us. Know what this game is? It's cathartic. Without mincing words, I fucking hated high school. I had no friends, and was picked on for fun by just about everybody because, being bigger than most and quiet, I make a good target. Hell, there was a month back in grade 12 where a group of people would follow me around at lunch and throw garbage at me. I never fought back, though. I just bottled shit up and turned it into pure hate and misanthropy. Even now, several years later, I keep up a shell and am always on the defensive. I keep people away because I quite honestly hate them now.
Why, may you ask, am I giving you lot my life story? It's on topic, not just because they both involve high schools. I have to say, playing a game like that would be cathartic. If I played this back in high school, it'd give me some sort of satisfaction. I couldn't strike back against my tormentors in real life, so I'd gun them down in the virtual world. It hurts nobody, no harm is done but to pixels.
To all of you saying "this is terrible, this is the worst thing ever, you need to die for making this!" think back to yourself at high school and how the people in it made you feel. If everyone was your best friend, then congratulations, you've succeeded in doing something that no other human in history has done. To the rest of you, however, remember how those people (you know exactly who I mean, EVERYONE has them) made you feel, and tell me taking your digital revenge wouldn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
...No. It wouldn't. It would only make me madder. Because then they'd still be there.

How am I supposed to sympathize with you if you sat there, did nothing about it, and wished deeply for their horrendous death? At least I DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
This guy is a level 87 elite master troll.

Its perfect really- an offensive game that no one whose not fucked-up in the head would enjoy and makes the gaming community look like what Fox News thinks we are, coupled with pseudo-intellectual superiority and a callous disdain for innocent victims. I'd be impressed if the base concept wasn't so damn disgusting.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Ekonk said:
What an absolute son of a *****. I can't believe he doesn't seem to understand what he's doing.

Can you imagine if you had lost a sibling in say, Columbine, and you browse Moddb and this shit comes up? Because this asshole obviously can't.

This makes me sick.
The whole world shouldn't have to stop because some people might be offended by it. I think he understands perfectly well what they're doing, he just doesn't care.

If we all stopped doing what we want just in case somebody was offended, we'd never get anything done.

I don't agree with his game because, to be perfectly honest, its likely going to suck, but i'll at least defend his right to make it.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
So i suppose if "Games are art" this is the piss christ.

My rule on art is, if people can only defend something on principle, the object has no substance.

Oh and to all of you post-modernists a word of advice: dont test people's love of free speech, they might realize they dont

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
This may be the first unambiguous "murder simulator" of all time.

While I'm not in favor of censorship...

...wow, just wow...

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
dogstile said:
Seriously? Inside the "sick" mind of a school shooter mod? I'm guessing you're slightly biased against this guy.

I agree with most of his points. Not about why he wanted to make it, because that's just silly, but his answers to your questions. I mean, it was hilarious that people were going on about how they wanted to kill Jack Thompson and its brilliant that he sticks by his idea of what a game should be. He wants the game to be a mindless shooting game that's rude and offensive and where you kill people, and do you know what?

That is absolutely fine

More power to him. At least he's sticking by his ideals as a person, and these ideals aren't truly hurting anyone. The man gets a respect five from me.
Tito's not the only one on the staff who is biased against this guy. While I promote this mod creator's freedom of expression, some of his justifications are questionable. I can honestly see some of his points, but when he calls out the media for "victimizing the victims" of school shootings, or tries to adopt a position of moral superiority because his violent game has provoked a violent reaction, I just can't relate to his way of thinking.

I don't mind when something is "rude and offensive," but I do take exception when creators set out to offend people and then simply dismiss the people who get offended. Not every game has to try to advance the genre, but this just confirms the biases of many non-gamers with no clear gain. To suggest "these ideals aren't truly hurting anyone" is incorrect.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
SinisterGehe said:
Lordmarkus said:
His arguments and responses are sound but creating such a mod are just wrong. Horribly wrong.
But he still has the right to do it. You can not deny it. He has right to reflect this subject with hes own mean and has right to publish it. Should we ban people thinking about School violence in internet blocks because they might give someone ideas.

Note: I am not defending the game, I am defending the right to create one.
Of course he has the right to make the game but that doesn't make the act less strange or justified
So you are saying he is not allowed to make one? That sounds, rather - restricting. Strange indeed, but am I breaking so law or unwritten abstract social code if I create a game in which you can do the same actions as this game of which we currently discussing - even if I wouldn't publish it.

You trying to imply that there are certain topics that are allowed to be handled by a certain medium. Can I do a book about school violence - there have been many of them, Film - I am sure theres one or two, Song - I can find these for sure, Verbal communication - Yes, Interactive game, all the sudden no?

Why do we restrict a certain medium of communication or subject reflection from handling some certain subject. We have pieces in all medium that cover everything from Sex, violence, drugs, addictions, all to way to racism and even more. Why restrict this particular subject, under who's name it is done?

When I got in to a dramatic even of school violence, in which I got hurt really bad physically and the school community had even more dramatic trauma of having to witness a such a horrid act of unjustified violence. I would like to cover this in a game that would inspect situation of both parties, am I now allowed to? Or am I allowed to create such "piece" because I have been personally 'Touched' by this subject. Are my friends allowed to self-reflect about this subject via this game or from their own, or is it banned topic to be handled by interactive media due to some abstract social code we need to obey?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
dogstile said:
Ekonk said:
What an absolute son of a *****. I can't believe he doesn't seem to understand what he's doing.

Can you imagine if you had lost a sibling in say, Columbine, and you browse Moddb and this shit comes up? Because this asshole obviously can't.

This makes me sick.
The whole world shouldn't have to stop because some people might be offended by it. I think he understands perfectly well what they're doing, he just doesn't care.

If we all stopped doing what we want just in case somebody was offended, we'd never get anything done.

I don't agree with his game because, to be perfectly honest, its likely going to suck, but i'll at least defend his right to make it.
If you had paid attention you would have seen that I never actually said anything that would suggest I think he shouldn't have the right to make it.

I just think the fact that he does makes him a fucking asshole.

Aug 25, 2009
You know what? I may not believe in a fixed moral code, I may not believe in an objective defintion of ethics, but I believe that everyone should have the right to draw their own line in the sand, and I'm drawing one of mine here.

This is just twisted, and his answers show how little he understand his own medium.

Also, as I've said before I don't believe in free speech, I disagree with what this guy says, and I will not defend to the death his right to say it.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Now I'm very liberal when it comes to subjects you can address in a game, but this is the first time I think a studio has crossed the line into what really serves no other purpose than being provocative. This is just stupid and ultimately bad for the games business.
Same.

Also, someone really needs to run this guy through a proper Phych evaluation. Some of his answers indicate a deeply disturbed indivisual, or an internet troll. Given the context, he's probably NOT just an internet troll...

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
They're hardly 'school children' they're the adult civs from half life it's only the location that makes it provocative and the context, not the people your killing.

It looks boring to me.

ecyor0

Dec 7, 2010
There's an online petition to boycott this thing or something, right?

And sure, his arguments are logical and reasoned... but that doesn't change the fact that they're making a game which is everything the anti-game lobby say is evil and wrong about gaming, and which practically everyone who sees it finds sickening and disturbing.

In the words of the Doctor, "Logic merely allows one to be wrong with authority."

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
L34dP1LL said:
I wonder how many were ok with the new call of Juarez game, but now are questioning this one just because it hits more close to home.
Call of Juarez the cartel is a tad different. That game as far as we know is about the two of them going to kill off opposing drug lords or something. That's about as worse a plot of GTA can get. It doesn't have a level where you go and kill off a bunch a students exclusively.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I think an important point has yet to be brought up, here.

The game looks like shit. I just looked at the alpha video. I've played a game where I can do that... it's called Garrysmod. He uses civilians and Combine for kids and police. The mod will completely miss the point he's trying to get across.

Which is a good thing, because the guy is an insult to real developers everywhere. Seriously, fuck that guy and anyone who agrees with his philosophy on "games being meant for violence".

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
Lordmarkus said:
SinisterGehe said:
Lordmarkus said:
His arguments and responses are sound but creating such a mod are just wrong. Horribly wrong.
But he still has the right to do it. You can not deny it. He has right to reflect this subject with hes own mean and has right to publish it. Should we ban people thinking about School violence in internet blocks because they might give someone ideas.

Note: I am not defending the game, I am defending the right to create one.
Of course he has the right to make the game but that doesn't make the act less strange or justified
So you are saying he is not allowed to make one? That sounds, rather - restricting. Strange indeed, but am I breaking so law or unwritten abstract social code if I create a game in which you can do the same actions as this game of which we currently discussing - even if I wouldn't publish it.

You trying to imply that there are certain topics that are allowed to be handled by a certain medium. Can I do a book about school violence - there have been many of them, Film - I am sure theres one or two, Song - I can find these for sure, Verbal communication - Yes, Interactive game, all the sudden no?

Why do we restrict a certain medium of communication or subject reflection from handling some certain subject. We have pieces in all medium that cover everything from Sex, violence, drugs, addictions, all to way to racism and even more. Why restrict this particular subject, under who's name it is done?

When I got in to a dramatic even of school violence, in which I got hurt really bad physically and the school community had even more dramatic trauma of having to witness a such a horrid act of unjustified violence. I would like to cover this in a game that would inspect situation of both parties, am I now allowed to? Or am I allowed to create such "piece" because I have been personally 'Touched' by this subject. Are my friends allowed to self-reflect about this subject via this game or from their own, or is it banned topic to be handled by interactive media due to some abstract social code we need to obey?
If the game had something valuable to say about it, then MORE POWER TO HIM. Satire is good, shock value is good, etc.

He stated himself that it's not designed to have any value beyond "students there, murder them".

If you self-reflect from the game, the creator says you're doing it wrong. Your argument doesn't work.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Me: Hey, why are you throwing rocks at cars?
Him: Because it's fun.
Me: Is that a good idea?
Him: Who cares it's fun.
[oil tanker slams into packed school bus]

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Oh for fuck's sake.
I bet somewhere in the world, someone has a family member that died in a shooting at some street. GTA is still existing though!
I bet somewhere in the world, someone has a family member that died in a one of the many wars that video games are based on. There are still video games about war!
I bet somewhere in the world, someone has a family member that got BACKSTABBED, and TF2 is still there!

What makes this any different?
How is this more horrid than, say, GTA?
Because we kill children, not adults?