is lollipop chainsaw bastardizing our industry?

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Its a game mocking zombie and sexy tropes. Its the Japanese laughing at us. Nothing more. Stop reading "apocalypse" and "doom of us all" into it, please.
Edit: It doesn't take itself seriously, at least. Western games aren't that much different (replace chainsaw carrying cheerleader with chainsaw carrying space marine), but they take themselves VERY seriously and expect you to do the same.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
bullet_sandw1ch said:
as you may know, suda51 made a game called lollipop chainsaw.
yeah, stopped right their. Lollipop Chainsaw was developed by Grasshopper Manufacture and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. If you can not get that basic bit of info right, people are not likely going to read on. For the rest, no not really.
um, if im correct, suda51 is part of grasshopper. i believe hes the founder, as every time grasshopper is brought up, so is he. if you cannot get that basic information right, people are not likely going to read on.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
No.

IF anything, and I know I am going to piss people of saying this, but I think slightly different variations of the same battle (COD, MoH, BF) are doing less good than they realize.

LPC is the gamer version of 'Scary Movie'.

And it has the worst tutorial.

Answer the phone, says the game.

I would answer every one of the eight calls I have missed game, it you had told me how to FREAKING DO THAT!!!

And the manual? Hah, religious pamphlets tell you more about God than the manual tells you how to play the damn game.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Say what you want but this game is just shameless pandering, come on ... there is an achievement for looking up her skirt ...

I am surprised Suda 51 didn't join up ninja theory, to make it as close to a generic pandering game as possible, slutty, barely dressed blonde chick, with blue eyes, killing zombies with a chainsaw ....

I think all of the people "defending" this with "don't take it so seriously" are the ones getting it to perv.

Nothing wrong with wanting to perv but the internet is full of naked people, people with actual flesh not a good polygon count.

I think it's weird this game got so much hype and buzz for such generic crap ...

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
Short answer: No, it's a parody

Long answer: Lollipop chainsaw is an amazing game. Looking at the box art, yes, it does look pretty bad, but what suda 51's doing in this game is mocking the very things you're arguing about. Is Juliet's dress really short? Yes. It's meant to be. She's an 18yr old high school cheerleader in America. Based off of what I've seen in almost every other types of media, this is the norm. She's basically a mirror image of the typical high school teenage girl. And she's a zombie hunter who uses a bright pink chainsaw and pom-poms. The game is utterly ridiculous and stupid, and that's the point. The game makes fun of itself while doing these things. One of the loading screen text said "Stop looking up her skirt, you perv!!!" It knows that it's silly, and revels into it.
VoidWanderer said:
No.

IF anything, and I know I am going to piss people of saying this, but I think slightly different variations of the same battle (COD, MoH, BF) are doing less good than they realize.

LPC is the gamer version of 'Scary Movie'.

And it has the worst tutorial.

Answer the phone, says the game.

I would answer every one of the eight calls I have missed game, it you had told me how to FREAKING DO THAT!!!

And the manual? Hah, religious pamphlets tell you more about God than the manual tells you how to play the damn game.
And yeh, this game has the worst tutorial ever. If I didn't read up on some of the stuff beforehand, I'd have no clue how to do anything

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Hmm... let me consider...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Aand pretty much the rest of the thread is right. It's Suda51, taking him seriously is like taking Ron Jeremy seriously as an actor.

Side note, punctuation, grammar... it makes a rant look more thought out. Just saying.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Relish in Chaos said:
SnakeoilSage said:
Yeah, it's creepy the way the game sexualized a high school minor
Not really. The schoolgirl/cheerleader uniform fetish is pretty common. And she doesn't look minor...

*Snerk* It's common yeah, but let's not beat around the (possibly non-existent) bush here: she's in high school, and unless she was held back a few grades, you should feel BAD for not blinking during those 3,000 or so up-skirt shots.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
Relish in Chaos said:
SnakeoilSage said:
Not really. The schoolgirl/cheerleader uniform fetish is pretty common. And she doesn't look minor...

*Snerk* It's common yeah, but let's not beat around the (possibly non-existent) bush here: she's in high school, and unless she was held back a few grades, you should feel BAD for not blinking during those 3,000 or so up-skirt shots.
Why should I feel bad? It's illegal to fuck a 16/17 year old, not admire their *ahem* assets. We aren't talking about a child after all.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
omega 616 said:
Say what you want but this game is just shameless pandering, come on ... there is an achievement for looking up her skirt ...

I am surprised Suda 51 didn't join up ninja theory, to make it as close to a generic pandering game as possible, slutty, barely dressed blonde chick, with blue eyes, killing zombies with a chainsaw ....

I think all of the people "defending" this with "don't take it so seriously" are the ones getting it to perv.

Nothing wrong with wanting to perv but the internet is full of naked people, people with actual flesh not a good polygon count.

I think it's weird this game got so much hype and buzz for such generic crap ...
If this is generic crap give me 10 other games where you can be a cheerleader killing zombies with a chainsaw while rainbows and all sorts of crazy shit happens on screen with some original bosses?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Have A Serbian Film or The Human Centipede tarnished the entire film industry? Of course they haven't and it's the same thing here. The only people it's tarnished the games industry for are people like the idiots at Fox News who already think all video games are the work of Satan himself and just look for any old excuse to label it as such. People with half a brain realise Lollipop Chainsaw is not indicative of the entire industry.

Also Suda 51 game is Suda 51 game. What the hell were you expecting?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
wintercoat said:
Why should I feel bad? It's illegal to fuck a 16/17 year old, not admire their *ahem* assets. We aren't talking about a child after all.
She's 18 [http://www.destructoid.com/review-lollipop-chainsaw-229321.phtml] so I wouldn't worry about it too much :p

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Lollipop Chainsaw is what videogames are all about, any anyone who's getting their knickers in a twist over it needs to stop taking shit so seriously.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
Silence, ye daft fool! 'Tis art.

Hereby your criticisms are null and void, as art is not to be fucked with, d00d.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (etc)

It's Suda 51, if nothing else the game is likely a satire of games in their current state. The industry really does need a good Suda 51 styled slap in the face, a slap doesn't take itself too seriously mind. I haven't played the game yet meself, but I shall do so when I've a bit of spare pocket change.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
SnakeoilSage said:
Relish in Chaos said:
SnakeoilSage said:

I've never felt bad about anything I've been attracted to. It's not as if I'm actually going to go out and rape a 16-year-old, am I?

Well, I'm currently 16 myself, but you get the idea. Even if I was 30, I wouldn't feel bad about being attracted to a 16-year-old. So what if she's in high school, she's got a nice body! Do you want to take me in, thought police?

And she's 18 anyway. And fictional.