It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I hope theres an option to pair people up say for instance miranda and jacob or tali and garrus etc etc. why should shepard have all the fun?.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Damn... I guess I really shouldn't have cheated on Ashley with Miranda...

But I waited as long as I could! Shepard has needs!

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
BioWare says that it isn't adding any new love interests to the third game.

Update: According to Hudson, there will be new love interests in Mass Effect 3.

These people just don't want to make up their mind about anything do they ? Every day it seems like they completely change something, and there's the in sentence contradictions that have been pointed out. At this rate they'll postpone the game again because they can't decide what color to make the sky on certain planets. Although I suppose the world does need a new Duke Nukem Forever doesn't it...

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
cheywoodward said:
I don't think that makes sense for a lot of the characters. I'd understand if one of the characters was "in the closet", although you'd think society would become more tolerant after encountering alien species, but to have every single one of them be gay or bisexual seems to be a bit of a stretch. In addition, the same person, (Casey Hudson) is responsible for the info for both articles so now I'm even more confused.
I'm thinking that their rationale is that Shepard is one of those people that you would "go gay for", in the case of your teammates. It's not that big of a leap in logic. Back when you were just starting out against Saren, you were a pretty cool person, but that's about it. Now, you're essentially the most powerful human in the galaxy who's attained a level of badassery that can only be rivaled by Chuck Norris. I'm pretty sure that Kaidan or Garrus would be all ears to any "propositions" that you, Commander Fucking Shepard, make.
You do realize that being gay isn't a choice, right? It's the way you're born. You don't go gay or go straight for someone, no matter how badass that someone is.

zungerman090

Nov 18, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
zungerman090 said:
You realise that Garrus and Tali were made available as romances as fan appeasement, right?
How is this different?
No character has explicitly made an account for their respective sexuality, and is therefore wholly open for elaboration.

Execution is key. And if they do half as well as Dragon Age 2, I don't think we have any reason to worry if it turns out that Garrus has harboured unspoken lust for MaleShep all this time.
Actually, I am pretty sure that Garrus and Tali were supposed to be romanceable in ME1, but they cut it out because of time constraints. Let's take Tali for example. In ME2 she told Shepard that she trusted him or her as if they were family. But, the way that was delivered was different for each gender. Now, if we just change her into a bi sexual character, it will feel quite weird.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
cheywoodward said:
I don't think that makes sense for a lot of the characters. I'd understand if one of the characters was "in the closet", although you'd think society would become more tolerant after encountering alien species, but to have every single one of them be gay or bisexual seems to be a bit of a stretch. In addition, the same person, (Casey Hudson) is responsible for the info for both articles so now I'm even more confused.
It's not a stretch at all - clearly all the characters are already Pan-sexual - they are sleeping with people of a different species.

IE: to Garrus, FemShep and MaleShep probably look about the same.

The only reason you couldn't romance them in ME2 was because SHEP lacked the "initiate romance" dialog option after the crew attempted flirtation. Both Tali and Garrus attempt to flirt with the Shep of the same gender in ME2, but Shep has no option to respond.

So I guess the only change is making Shep suddenly bisexual (Liara doesn't count - Asari can seduce anyone).
Their is no evidence that all the characters are pan-sexual. We only have evidence that the alien characters are. All the human characters just slept with another human. Maybe some of the Pan-sexual characters are also bisexual but I doubt they all are. Either way there will have to be some serious ret-conning in order for this to make even a limited amount of sense.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Sovereignty said:
Damn... I guess I really shouldn't have cheated on Ashley with Miranda...

But I waited as long as I could! Shepard has needs!
Especially after she blew you off for no reason when you returned. It wasn't some happy reunion, she was just like, "You've been dead 2 years and you couldn't even managed ONE phone call!" After that it's a given that she's out of the picture

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Dammit. I'm not intrested in any of the femme fatales in Mass Effect....i was hoping they'd come up with different people cause i'm not intrested in any of the people in Mass Effect 1 or 2. The only charecter i'm only mildly intrested in is Jack, and only as a friend.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
zungerman090 said:
LiquidGrape said:
zungerman090 said:
You realise that Garrus and Tali were made available as romances as fan appeasement, right?
How is this different?
No character has explicitly made an account for their respective sexuality, and is therefore wholly open for elaboration.

Execution is key. And if they do half as well as Dragon Age 2, I don't think we have any reason to worry if it turns out that Garrus has harboured unspoken lust for MaleShep all this time.
Actually, I am pretty sure that Garrus and Tali were supposed to be romanceable in ME1, but they cut it out because of time constraints. Let's take Tali for example. In ME2 she told Shepard that she trusted him or her as if they were family. But, the way that was delivered was different for each gender. Now, if we just change her into a bi sexual character, it will feel quite weird.
Actually, the response is identical for both sexes. The only difference is that if you are playing as a female Shepard, they remove the final part of the exchange which leads to romance [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymNdJrpg08].

As for Tali and Garrus being intended as romances in ME1, that's not the case as far as I'm aware.
In the recent GameInformer interviews, Hudson himself relayed that the developers had expressed some surprise at finding those two characters being such fan favourites [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/27/casey-hudson-interview-mass-effect-s-feedback-loop.aspx], and subsequently decided to make them available as love interests in the sequel.

Characters who actually were intended to be love interests for characters of both sexes, however, was Ashley [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mwiqq-Y5r4] and Kaidan [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fsMiHGov3w]. The files are available on the ME1 disc, and are accessible through some tweaking.
A BioWare employee confirmed it in print. [http://meforums.bioware.com/viewpost.html?topic=696098&post=6705519&forum=144]

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
cheywoodward said:
Their is no evidence that all the characters are pan-sexual. We only have evidence that the alien characters are. All the human characters just slept with another human. Maybe some of the Pan-sexual characters are also bisexual but I doubt they all are. Either way there will have to be some serious ret-conning in order for this to make even a limited amount of sense.
OH. You're talking about Ashley, Kaidan, Miranda, and Jacob.

See, I never romanced any of them, so I forgot they existed. ^^;; Actually, in my recent playthrough, I didn't bother with Miranda or Jacob's loyalty missions - wanted to see if they got killed. They didn't - one of my loyal characters did. Made me sad. Poor Katsumi.

Well, for all the ALIENS it makes perfect sense. For the humans... I always thought Kaidan seemed kind of gay. And I could see Miranda as bi.

Ashley and Jacob... yeah, okay, I'll give you that - I don't see them as gay at all.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
All I have to say is:
"Sorry Liara I was alone and in need of a reassuring cuddle, and Tali was there for me while you were off on some vendetta. Hey in all fairness I offered for you to come along but you said no. So if you think about it it's your fault. OH GOD please don't biotic force kick me!"

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
This sucks! I wanted my femshep to romance Jack and cheat on Liara. But nooo that wasn't even a possibility. F.U. Bioware

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
New love interests hardly matter to me because almost every time I go through ME2, I pick Tali. I can't help it. I go into it saying: ok. I'm going to pick someone else this time. But I've played through 8 times and I've only picked Miranda once. I stayed true to Liara in one of my playthroughs but the 6 others have all been Tali.
I can't see myself cheating on her in ME3 so I guess if I want a new love interest I'll either have to start from scratch in ME3 or give Liara or Miranda the boot.

TALI FTW!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Biodeamon said:
Dammit. I'm not intrested in any of the femme fatales in Mass Effect....i was hoping they'd come up with different people cause i'm not intrested in any of the people in Mass Effect 1 or 2. The only charecter i'm only mildly intrested in is Jack, and only as a friend.
The update says they actually are adding new loved interests. It's at the bottom of the article.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I waited until Mass Effect 2 to romance Tali, and it would have been disappointing if there were no new romance options since there would only have been two people from the first game to come back and "haunt" you. I'll be staying loyal to Tali, but if I can be arsed I would totally go back and romance a different person in each game just to see what happens.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Oh and about the gay thing. I am completely tolerant of this kind of thing but I really hope it's Shepard who initiates that kind of thing. If Thane or Garrus start randomly making sexual remarks to me in the third game (especially since both seemed pretty straight before given their history with women) I'm going to be pretty displeased...

Rob Stoffelen

Mar 3, 2011
True to Laira form the start, I did like the fact that you could romance with aliens :)
and I didn't like Ashley and Miranda was more looks that cool, so I didn't do anything.
I did have the Kelly part, a shame you cloud not romance her :(

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Huh... oops. I ended up romancing Liara from ME1 simply because the "tough girl" attitude from Ashley didn't really appeal to me (and i was a soldier myself so she was useless in the party and i barely ever saw her) and ended up getting freaky with Tali in ME2 when i learned there was no Liara. Though to be fair, i probably liked Tali more anyway. Though to be even more fair, i only say that because she got a lot of screen time in ME2 due to her personal quest on the flotilla and you really learnt a lot more about her and her culture and got to know her a lot better. With Liara (ignoring Lair of the Shadowbroker) it was just this one business-like scene in an office. Yawn. When it all comes down to it though, i got with whatever alien girls i could to satisfy my xenophilia... where was i going with this again?

That said, i don't really want to have to deal with some awkward romance clash in ME3. I shouldn't be made to feel awkward when i say "oh sorry love, but i jumped in the sack with Tali because she's a real woman rather than pretending to be a woman (monogendered Asari aren't even really female, technically speaking) and that you were gone for... what? 10 hours of the game?". I suppose that's "all part of the fun" when it comes to things like this, but still, it feels like it's directing the romance subplots to be more of a focused part of the game than a side-plot that was up to the player to direct until it reached decision time. Though i havent' started Lair of the Shadowbroker yet. Partly because i'm not sure if i want to keep Liara stringing along or not at the end...

Or i might just stuff it all and replay ME2 so i can romance Jack. I didn't know she had a softer side that opened up to Paragon until i did some reading on the Mass Effect wikia, and there's something about crazy chicks with a real person inside that only open themselves up to you when you've got a strong connection of trust that made the character far more endearing than she first came across. But i guess that's the strength of Bioware's writing. That the characters aren't all flat one-dimensional caricatures.