It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
...oh boy my male shepard is in the dog house now. Liara and Tali are going to kill me.
My female Shepard though I think Radoh summed that feeling up quite nicely:

Radoh said:
Garrus stayed loyal, Kaiden did not. I hate to say this Kaiden, but we were through the moment you abandoned me in ME2. As for you Liara, you were just a consolation prize when I couldn't have Tali.
Well all except the Liara/Tali bit.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I'm waiting until ME3 to come out before I do my perfect playthrough. Atm I romanced Ashley, then after she told me I was some kind of crazy rasict and got mad at me for being DEAD for 2 years, I decided to go after Miranda. I actually like Miranda and want to continue my relationship with her.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Ashley turned into a ***** in ME2, so she has no right to get jealous of my relationship with Tali.

Although the catfight would be interesting to watch. haha
Indeed :)

Ashley was a complete ***** in ME2, she has no right to say anything.
I took the exact same path as you, Tali is my absolute favorite :)
Did you romance everybody in ME2 and ran off with Tali in the end as well?
I wasn't really interested in anyone at first. Then my friend (who was moving through the game faster than me) told me Tali was a romance option. I was then on her in a heartbeat, cause I wanted her to be an option since I met her in ME1.
Yeah I wanted Tali from the beginning too.
But I didn't take the relationship-thing all too serious, so I talked as much as I could with everyone. Off course Miranda hated me when I told her I was going for Tali, but it was worth it.
Think it'll bite me in the ass in ME3?
It's their fault for not being as awesome as Tali.
Off course! :p
But seeing as Cerberus hates Shepard in ME3, would Miranda come to hunt me down? :S
That'd be annoying. I don't hate her. I just don't love her.

Leefank137

Jan 8, 2009
I'm kind of happy that there will be no new love interests. With the inclusion of the two from the first game and the three from the third, anybody else and that'll just get messy. It'll be interesting to see how the "cheating" (if that did happen) plays out. After all, we did kind of see a bit of that in Lair of the Shadow broker if you romanced Liara in the first game. Honestly, the amount of permutations, just with romances alone is almost overwhelming, in a good way. Can't wait for this game.

P.S. Tali all the way :)

(Update): Damn, even MORE love interests? As I said above, this is going to get messy. I just hope that there will be SOMEONE in the squad that isn't a possible love interest. Luckily Krogan and Geth (if Legion does return) are usually safe bets. Speaking of Krogan, I'd really like to see Wrex make a comeback on the squad. But I digress. I hope that the inclusion of gay and lesbian relationships doesn't hurt the game's sales among the more conservative audiences, and I hope that the gay and lesbian characters are actually fleshed out and not just token archetypes. We see what happens when Bioware puts in a character just for the romance option (Thane, and the result wasn't all that great. Then again that's just my opinion and I have enough faith in Bioware to create a quality game. As I've said in other posts, I just hoped they learned a bit from DA2

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Damn, that means I'll have to make another playthrough and piss off Liara. Still, might be worth it for the chance to see a quarian without their armor...

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Ashley turned into a ***** in ME2, so she has no right to get jealous of my relationship with Tali.

I wasn't really interested in anyone at first. Then my friend (who was moving through the game faster than me) told me Tali was a romance option. I was then on her in a heartbeat, cause I wanted her to be an option since I met her in ME1.
But I didn't take the relationship-thing all too serious, so I talked as much as I could with everyone. Off course Miranda hated me when I told her I was going for Tali, but it was worth it.
But seeing as Cerberus hates Shepard in ME3, would Miranda come to hunt me down? :S
If you had her in your group when you choose to blow up the station at the end up ME2 she resigns from Cerberus. Course I was f***ing her at the time so hopefully she will continue to stick with me ^_^

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:

I'm not sure how they're going to handle that. Either way it'll be interesting :p

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
trooper6 said:
This makes me nervous...but here's my story.

In ME1 I was with Ashley.

In ME2 I was faithful to Ashley, until that scene in Hope's Landing when she acted how she did. I took that to mean we were definitely over. I don't date people who don't trust me--and people who accuse me of being a terrorist? Yeah, that doesn't work well with me.

So, *after* that, I began my romance with Miranda--and I didn't consider it cheating because it seemed like Ash and I were over...but then I got that apology email from Ash, and now it looks like Bioware will consider it cheating.

Man. I'm screwed.
Yeah gotta love those mixed signals. Same thing happened with Kaiden, he was really ticked when he heard Female Shepard was working with Cerberus and from the conversation. Well let's just say I got the feeling they broke up and then bam that email comes in. Makes me want to pull my hair out! So I congradulate Bioware on getting one aspect of relationships right: They are complicated and cause soooo many headaches.

chibivash

Apr 2, 2010
kool, i get to see both. i stayed faithful to liara with my paragon shep. as renegade, i cheated on ashley with tali. kinda want to see how that one works out. can't wait for the ME3. :)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
About the update...I always assumed a female Shepard + Liara pairing was a lesbian option.

The question on my mind though is weather or not I can finally romance Mr. Garrus.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008

Ok, I'm glad they're starting to add gay romances for players in their games... but not in this case.

It just feels like they're compiling way too many romances in one three part series. I mean, come on, now it's possible to have a human-alien-female-gay romantic quadrandle. How in the FUCK is that going to play out?

I feel like they couldn't possible do it well...

Sheppard: I'm sorry, Miranda, I'm leaving you.
Miranda: What? But... why? After everything we went through?
Sheppard: Miranda, there's someone else.
Miranda: I knew it. I knew it, ever since we took down the Shadow Broker, I knew you'd jump right back into Liara's arms!
Sheppard: Listen, I... wait, what? No, remember that guy, Kaiden, that we came across that one time on that planet, the guy that kinda hated me?
Miranda: Er... yeah?
Sheppard: Yeah, I'm totally with him now.
Grunt: I THOUGHT WHAT WE HAD WAS SPECIAL!

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
About the update...I always assumed a female Shepard + Liara pairing was a lesbian option.

The question on my mind though is weather or not I can finally romance Mr. Garrus.
It sort off is, but you have to consider that Asari only really have one gender. Also uh.. You CAN romance Garrus, or do you mean as a male Shep? Cause I honestly think Garrus being attracted to a female human is stretching it as it is (Something I don't mind personally as I freaking love Garrus).

In regards to the "cheating on you" bit, I sure hope you actually get some proper responses to those incidents and not another incident like the one in Shadow Broker where the Spectre spites your CHOICE of working with Cerberus and you have no valid responses -_-

Also, what's a ceplow system? (Captcha)

Pointer

Mar 19, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
Pointer said:
Random Argument Man said:
That works....if you played Mass effect 1 and 2. Might lose the effect if someone decided to skip directly to Mass effect 3.

Other than that, it looks promising if people doesn't do another Metacritic bomb because of 1 or 2 details.
In that case you are probably looking at a clean slate in that Shephard didn't have any relationships. So the awkwardness is all resolved. I'm gonna have a tough time explaining to Liara what happened with Tali in her absence.
True, but some users will not be able to live the full experience. That's what I'm saying.
Ah, I get your meaning. But thats where the fun begins for Bioware. In order tog et the full experience you buy and play 1 through 3. Its a brilliant and diabolical plan to steal more and more money with each release of the next title to those who want that full experience.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
kurokenshi said:
Ashley FTW!!

Now I just need to erase that Miranda incident.
Hah, I "accidentally" knocked boots with Miranda when I thought I could call it off, so now I'm doing another full walkthrough this time not romancing anyone and waiting for Ash in ME3.

I'm finding it pretty difficult to get the motivation to complete it though :(

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Since I kept Shepard loyal to Liara throughout the whole game so far, Im still hoping to see some jealousy from the other characters that hes so dedicated to Liara and not interested in them.

It would be disappointing if I didnt get to see any exciting inter party squabbles between characters because I kept my Shepard character a one romance guy.

I hope they do it justice this time though. ME1 was.... okay romance wise, I guess. ME2 was just awful (the romances in their entirity dont last over 5 minutes). It would be nice to see them beefier and more impactful. Some with non-romance relationships too. After ME2s barren "onto the next shooting gallery" approach to story and characters, Im craving for some teammates who a) are a team, and b) are active, vocal with eachother and take more part. I mean, thats how you create characters people really connect with. Give them plenty of content for people to latch onto. ME1 and 2 didnt do enough IMO, so hope ME3 does, given this whole "better relationships" spiel. Its certainly more promising now that they are prepared to talk about stuff like that, and not just wank on about their improvements to shooter combat etc.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Kyman102 said:
You know, when my Shepard spoke to Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker, she seemed pretty cool with the fact that my Shepard shacked up with Tali.

But now she's going to object? I hope Shepard gets an option to mention that yeah, we kinda talked about this already. You mentioned Tali and me, you seemed happy that we were together.

v.v Though it'd only be fair for me to apologize for Liara, and GENTLY tell her that of the two of them, I'm staying with Tali.

Then, in a perfect world, Tali asks why we can't all share.
If only mon ami if only, yet if Bioware could pull that off I would sing their praises to the Sun and the Moon.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
After Dragon Age 2, and the way the gay choices seemed forced upon you from characters that didnt display it in prior games, I had a terrible feeling this would bleed over into ME3. I do NOT want to be having a conversation with my favorite character, Garrus, and have him tell me that he has the flexibility if I have the reach. That would ruin Garrus for me altogether. The male shepard wasnt this way in the first two games, and they should have kept it that way for the entire trilogy.

Mass Effect

Jul 8, 2010
I going to stay true to Tali - obviously. But, have Bioware taken into account, the Shadow Broker DLC? Liara forgave me for loving Tali. Not that she would have gotten anything had she argued...
Besides, yes Liara nice but... If Tali had been a romancable character in ME1, I would have loved her there. Liara was just there for the achievement in my eyes. Tali <3 :3!

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Soooo my female Shepard will FINALLY be able to go after Tali?

Bioware, you have just sold me a copy of Mass Effect 3.