It's so good I bought it twice!

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I pre-ordered the fallout 3 collector's edition with the vault boy bobble head and the fallout lunchbox. Then i went back and bought the GOTY edition for all the expanded content, even though I had purchased operation anchorage and the pitt. love that game

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Saints Row 2, The Orange Box and UT3 I had on PS3 and then re-bought on PC. I think I have World of Goo twice, I definitely have Super Meat Boy twice, trying to re-buy the original release of Time Crisis 4 even though I have Razing Storm, and I'll likely be getting HotD 3 PS3 release even though I have it on Wii.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I've done this with both new Fallouts (collectors at launch, GOTY when it drops), and most recently with the Metal Gear collection as I still own copies of that whole series. Actually I do this a LOT. I don't mind double (sometimes way more than double, like with the GTA series) dipping on the games I really like at all as I figure it tells the industry what I love, our purchases are votes after all.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Only two were old games I lost. Caesar III and Majesty. I got Caesar III from Amazon for 5 bucks and Majesty off Steam for 3.

I loved them years ago but I wasn't very organized with my games back then. I'm not over paranoid about them now but I do keep all my PC games in a CD binder and have my CD keys in a notebook and saved on a flash card.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Melon Hunter said:
Earlier today, I was browsing the selection at my local GAME store, when I noticed that the Collector's Edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was on offer at £45. Although it turned out to not be in stock, I later went and ordered one online instead for £35, despite having owned the Explosive Edition game since last August. I did this for three reasons: the reduced price, the bells and whistles that come with it (I'm a real sucker for concept art books), and also because Human Revolution was my personal GOTY for 2011. I was also kinda surprised that the 'extremely limited' Collector's Edition was still on sale, brand new, after 5 months on sale, but there you go.

In HMV, I picked up the Limited Edition DVD of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World despite already owning a regular version of it, and I have several special editions of albums nestled next to their bog standard counterparts back at home, all of which I enjoyed immensely beforehand.

So, has anyone else ever bought an upgraded edition after owning the standard version, out of respect for the original work and/or to get an Adam Jensen action figure?

I'm Adam Jensen on twitter (www.twitter.com/AdamJensenSI) and I love you so, so much.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Warcraft 3 (RoC and FT) and TF2 are the only 2 games I've brought twice. TF2 was because I had to change my Steam account, but WC3 I got just for collection. Love that game to damn much!

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Bought a bucket-load of old PsX games over PSN, as the discs aren't all that reliable after a decade and a half. Yeah, Don't really know if that counts or not.
However; I own TeS IV: Oblivion for PC and fetched it later for my Ps3, as my laptop was just as reliable as a PsX disc, so to speak.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
lolreaper said:
persona 3 in fact i bought it 3 times, the original version when it came out, fes in 08 and persona 3 portable back in august
Same here. You just reminded me that I need to finish FES.

OT: I have three copies of Persona 4, just for the heck of it.

I think I'll pick up 'The Golden' even if I don't get a Vita.

EDIT: Oh yeah, a few others.
Fallout 3 (Xbox-GOTY, PS3-Original & GOTY)
Sly Cooper (PS2, PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2-Original & Subsistance, PS3-Metal Gear Collection)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yes, I own a few copies of each in the Diablo series, Baldur's Gate series, Mass Effect series and Dragon Age. Some have been to replace lost/worn copies, updated installing processes or because it was a cheaper way to purchase all the DLC.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Melon Hunter said:
So, has anyone else ever bought an upgraded edition after owning the standard version, out of respect for the original work?
No, but I have bought a few games twice, they just weren't upgraded versions. They were that good.
Take The DIG, for example, a classic LucasFilms adventure game (before they changed their name to LucasArts and they still made games not related to Star Wars) - from the age of good plots and good dialogue. I played it years and years ago but lost my copy so I decided to buy it again. Can't put a price on nostalgia. Not that it cost much anyway; the most expensive part was shipping.

And there's been a few other games too. Oblivion is I think the only game where I've bought all of the expansions and DLC packs separately (before the GOTY version was released).

Nothing wrong with buying a game twice.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
The only times I bought games twice were kind of accidents. I first got LoZ:Link to the Past on Virtual Console, then I got the GBA version for some reason. I also got Cave Story twice, though the first time was free and the second one was during that last Humble Indie Bundle.

(I also have 2 copies of Cogs, a game I'll never play)

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I have Hitman: Blood Money on my PS2, but the Hitman pack was on sale on Steam, so I bought it again. The way I see it, not only do I get two other Hitman games, but I get Blood Money with better graphics.

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
I have PC and console versions of Morrowind and Oblivion.

I also had two versions of Final Fantasy 6 (PS1 and GBA), Chrono Trigger (PS1 and DS), Final Fantasy X (regular and International), Final Fantasy XII (regular and International), and Kingdom Hearts II (regular and Final Mix). Oh, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 and Gamecube).

Lastly (I hope) I also have Mass Effect 2 for both PS3 and 360.

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
(3 Copies) GOTY Fallout 3 (Xbox, Pc(Disc and on steam)
(2 copies) Fallout: New Vegas (360 and PC)
(2 copies) MGS2(Standard & Substance)
(3 copies) Dragon Age: Origins(Collectors(360),Ultimate(360,Ps3)
(2 copies) Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox, PC with all DLC)
(2 copies) Devil May Cry 3 ( Dumbed down version and special edition)
(2 copies) Silent Hill 1 (Normal and Platinum)
(2 copies) Mass Effect 2(Ps3 with DLC and PC,(Have saves on 360 too))

Basically I should probably stop buying the same game over and over.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not the same thing but similar-
I couldn't wait for Phantasy Star Zero to come out in Europe any longer so I imported the US version which they got it months earlier.
When the Europe version did come out (seriously what the hell, the only different between the US and Europe is one of the companies logo wasn't in the Europe version) I bought it again (well the Europe version).
While I did complete the game but I bought it again to show my support for it and trying out a different set of characters.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
I ended up buying Shadows of the Damned twice. I don't regret it

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have puzzle quest 4 times! I have the XBLA, the DS, one for my iPhone, and I had it on my old Sony phone too! I really do love the game, its a great mix of traditional RPG and casual gameplay! Like bejeweled but you actually have a purpose and some variety!

I also have 3 copies of Donnie Darko... It was my Exes and my favoutite movie, I had the Original cut, the directors cut and the 2 disc edition of the directors cut... The only problem with it is since we split up, I haven't even entertainined the thought of watching it! I want nothing to do with that movie any more!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Borderlands. I had the PS3 version, then a Steam sale rears its head and offers me the game with all 4 DLC packs for £5. How the fuck could i say no?

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
I have the VHS and the DVD Extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring, and DVD and DVD extended of The Two Towers. Not so much because they were good (though they are) but more because I bought/got what I could afford/people gave me. After I got Return of the King Extended it felt like I should have the Extended edition of all three.