Japan Finishes Life-Size Gundam

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Heh, I knew it. But it makes me wonder if it wasn't really the pilot everyone loved, because Zechs Merquise was a beast (we'll ignore the Peacecraft persona). I'll agree that Tallgeese was very cool though, but DeathScythe!

You got what it said on the tin, he had a deathscythe, and Duo Maxwell was in my opinion one of the best characters in Wing, personality wise. And plus he took out a military base, only adding to the awesome. Japan can put off buying the moon for another two years and build me some Deathscythe.
Eh. I wasn't really a huge fan of any of the Wing cast besides Noin and Treize who were totally awesome. Zechs is okay, but he's not my favorite Char clone by any stretch of the imagination.

I can't say I really liked any of the Wing boys, though I agree that of them Duo was the best. IDK, I've just never been a huge fan of the Deathscythe :/ Its weapon is cool (though hilariously impossible), but the design has never really resonated with me.
Yeah, to be honest, I liked Duo, Treize, Noin and Zechs, but the rest kind of annoyed me, like Wufei with his 'emo' phase, and especially Releena, dear god if there ever was a less likeable character I don't want to hear about it.

Any other series besides SEED that are recommended? After watching Wing, I kind of subconsciously refused to watch any other Gundam series so I'm up for whatever's good, but if I watch them and they aren't as good as Wing, I'm blowing up the moon. O_O

EDIT: Also what Omni said...it was my 'first'. >_>

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onmi said:
Keep in mind Wing was a lot of everyones first series, mine was 0083 because I had learned about it from Super Robot Wars 3 on the SNES (Also Kou Uraki trained in AUSTRALIA, land of the kickass pilots like Shinobu from Dancouga)

While I despise everything (OR almost everything Mwu you magnificent bastard) Gundam SEED and Destiny have ever done Astray and I guess Stargazer or whatever it's called are really really good.

A.K.A. everything that wasn't done by Fukuda and Misawa. Lowe Gear kicks ass, he's like Judau without the Harem.

I stand by that the only time i've ever enjoyed the narrative of Seed Destiny is in Super Robot Wars Z where they fixed the plot. Only time I ever enjoyed SEED is in SRW Alpha 3 when Shinji Ikari told Kira to quit his bitching, granted SEED made no god damn SENSE in the Alphaverse which was pretty established with Wing and U.C. that AND it Took the place of Giant Robo.
Damn Aussies.

/Colony Drop

ChromeAlchemist said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Heh, I knew it. But it makes me wonder if it wasn't really the pilot everyone loved, because Zechs Merquise was a beast (we'll ignore the Peacecraft persona). I'll agree that Tallgeese was very cool though, but DeathScythe!

You got what it said on the tin, he had a deathscythe, and Duo Maxwell was in my opinion one of the best characters in Wing, personality wise. And plus he took out a military base, only adding to the awesome. Japan can put off buying the moon for another two years and build me some Deathscythe.
Eh. I wasn't really a huge fan of any of the Wing cast besides Noin and Treize who were totally awesome. Zechs is okay, but he's not my favorite Char clone by any stretch of the imagination.

I can't say I really liked any of the Wing boys, though I agree that of them Duo was the best. IDK, I've just never been a huge fan of the Deathscythe :/ Its weapon is cool (though hilariously impossible), but the design has never really resonated with me.
Yeah, to be honest, I liked Duo, Treize, Noin and Zechs, but the rest kind of annoyed me, like Wufei with his 'emo' phase, and especially Releena, dear god if there ever was a less likeable character I don't want to hear about it.

Any other series besides SEED that are recommended? After watching Wing, I kind of subconsciously refused to watch any other Gundam series so I'm up for whatever's good, but if I watch them and they aren't as good as Wing, I'm blowing up the moon. O_O

EDIT: Also what Omni said...it was my 'first'. >_>
Gundam 0080. The six best episodes anywhere in Gundam. Manages to convey "war is hell" more effectively in six episodes than V, Wing, and SEED do in entire series.

Also, original Mobile Suit Gundam (movie trilogy version), and 00. Well, the first half of 00.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Gundam 0080. The six best episodes anywhere in Gundam. Manages to convey "war is hell" more effectively in six episodes than V, Wing, and SEED do in entire series.

Also, original Mobile Suit Gundam (movie trilogy version), and 00. Well, the first half of 00.
Interesting. I'll warm up the Ion Cannon just in case I'm disappointed. GetBackers disappointed (seriously, avoid that series like the plague simply because of the ending).

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
I'm with Funk on the aesthetic aspect of this. While this replica of the RX-78 looks really good, the original animated version looks pretty terrible now. Nu Gundam and Sazabi are my absolute favorites for both form and function, they trump anything Wing can throw at them in both categories.

UC Gundam definitely takes the cake on quality too. I will always have a high regard for Wing because it introduced me to the awesomeness that is Gundam, but in relation to other Gundam series' its not even in the top 10 for me.

Regardless, that is the coolest statue ever built.

CantFaketheFunk said:

I remember making a rather large post here before about this very same subject, maybe I'll look it up later. Needless to say I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Anyone who says that Heavy Arms and Trowa aren't the two best things in Wing are obviously lying to themselves.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
This yet proves my theory even more that the Japanese is the very few people who achieve ideas and bring them to life completely, good on ya Japan, keep making as proud.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Paragon Fury said:
Anyone who says that Heavy Arms and Trowa aren't the two best things in Wing are obviously lying to themselves.
What, you mean Mr. "I stand in one spot and fire my gun until I run out of ammo"?

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
As a famous man once said "Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow......"

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
darfjono said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
vivaldiscool said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
CountFenring said:
They should do Gundam Wing, that was a good show, I don't remember watching the show with that one.
Bah, Gundam Wing. For all Treize Khushrenada was awesome, Wing itself was merely "okay."

Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, 0080: War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, Turn A Gundam, Gundam SEED... all better than Wing, and then some. ;)
NOT SO FAST!

You thought you could sneak that in there did you? I don't think seed deserves all the hate it gets...but better than wing? Surely you are joshing me.

And regardless of what you think of the series, the wing MS designs kicked...ASS

Seeing Wing or Epion standing there would be beyond awesome.
No, I actually do think SEED was better than Wing. Not on the levels of the others I mentioned (or 00 part 1), but it was more consistent in its message, the characters actually made sense sometimes, and it wasn't trying to sell something as completely ridiculous as "And no one fought anymore forever."

Also, it had Mwu la Flaga. And Mwu la Flaga is totally awesome.
SEED better than Wing? you best be trollin'.
it might just be you who's trolling. anyway that giant gundam is awesome