Japanese Fallout: New Vegas Ads Hate On JRPGs

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
V8 Ninja said:
The irony of all this is that Fallout: NV is less of an RPG and more of an FPS, a genre that Japan has never really cared for.
how is it not an rpg? fallout 3 was just a console-ized run and gun. fallout new vegas has way more RPG elements than fallout 3 ever did and actually is more rpg than bethesda's games.
If so, then I haven't seen anything. And from sources I trust, it appears to have the same gameplay from Fallout 3. And don't you dare lie about it being more of an RPG than anything Bethesda has produced. Because that's just straight-up BS [Read: Over-Protective Fanboy Being Over-Protective].

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
I like the idea of protest the direction that jrpgs have gone. I don't like that it promises that Fallout: New Vegas will not have those issues. The game isn't out yet, so it could end up being a racing simulator for all we know.

JRPG's need to get there priorities sorted and you shouldn't believe anything anyone say about an unreleased game.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Well, I don't know anything about how sales of Fallout have been in Japan. But it will be interesting if this works for Bethesda.

Insulting American consumers doesn't usually net results... but parody often does. I'll be watching this curiously over the next few months.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.
Likely because a shooter is a shooter and an RPG is, at least in theory, an RPG.

Probably the same reason one expects meat on a meat lover's pizza.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
s69-5 said:
With WRPGs it's mostly push button for skill/cooldown/rinse/repeat...
this is MMORPGs, not necessarily WRPGs. (see Deus Ex)

s69-5 said:
...Level up...
again, mainly an MMORPG trait, but is more prevelent in WRPGs the repetive skill business. (again, see Deus Ex; theres no leveling there)

s69-5 said:
...use acquired skill points to buy skill...
ok you've got me there :3

It seems foolish to make a clam about "blindly bashing" when your knowledge (that you've demonstrated here) of WRPGs is so limited.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
And now the Japanese gaming public begin to continue moving forward to progress, while all the now-deemed "orthodox" T-BAG fans on this side of the world curse the aspect of change while they get left behind in the dust by their Japanese brethren whom they idolized so...

reddfawks

Jul 29, 2010
Also, just to add... For some reason this reminds me a lot of Eartbound's "This game stinks!" campaign. Kind of failed in the NA release.

Then again, when I was a wee lass with a handful of birthday money, I picked it just because the box on the shelf was big and colourful. I think if I had seen the ad campaign at that age, I may have been a bit turned off myself and missed out on such a gem.

Yeah, I went off on a tangent there. Sorry.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Zeithri said:
This is such bs;

"it would be nice if the main character had a mission aside from just wiping out evil."

Hey, Newsflash!
FALLOUT by bethesda is the exact same thing and anyone who disagrees can go ahead and yell their throats out.
I think they're referring to the fact that you can be evil... Isn't that kind of the exact opposite of wiping it out? Granted, I don't really know the story of Fallout. I thought it was pretty open though.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
s69-5 said:
With WRPGs it's mostly push button for skill/cooldown/rinse/repeat. Level up, use acquired skill points to buy skill.

For some reason, you're thinking of MMOs (which isn't what we're talking about here) and maybe Dragon Age, but other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about.

s69-5 said:
You could argue that many JRPGs are select attack (or Magic/item, whatever) and select target; rinse repeat. However, games like Star Ocean, Demon's Souls, Legend of Legaia, Trinity Universe, Tales of (...), Parasite Eve, Grandia, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, etc... all have a different way of doing things. Not to mention the level up systems (and skill selections) which are often more inventive in the JRPG brand.

I think it's mostly the new crop of kids that don't like them, because it's popular to blindly bash them at the moment, without having played any at all.

BTW: I'm excited for Fallout: New Vegas. Though I'd LOVE to see TES5... A man can dream.
I can't argue too much with this though. But people just lump all Turn-Based Adventure Games together mostly because they all have that horrid anime style (horrid to me, at least). People who hate anime usually go hand-in-hand with people who hate T-BAGs. I.E., anime=T-BAG. Also, whether it was done differently or not, it's hard to ignore that most of those games you listed are, in fact, all turn-based. That's not to say that RPG's over here don't do that, but most RPG's have completely different fighting systems that differ from developer to developer.

Either way, I agree whole-heartedly about TES V. T _ T

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
snip for space
I know but they don't do nearly as much recently. Also Bioshock tries too.
Again, my point was people DO complain about FPS's, so your original comment about "People always complain about JRPGs, but FPS's are just as bad" is invalid as people do complain about them too.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
There's actually quite a few other genres, such as FPS or life simulation, that has been stagnant over the years. So why don't we complain about every video game genre, it'd be fun.

Jun 26, 2009
Doug said:
Doug said:
snip for space
I know but they don't do nearly as much recently. Also Bioshock tries too.
Again, my point was people DO complain about FPS's, so your original comment about "People always complain about JRPGs, but FPS's are just as bad" is invalid as people do complain about them too.
Fine, how about fighting games? Happy?