Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Cale Lively

Feb 15, 2012
Here is the true crux of the issue. Fake nerds are exactly that fake. No one likes having there culture subsumed by those who traditionally been the "enemy" of your culture. If a former jock or prep girl starts acting like a nerd it is a slap in the face to those of us who had deal with there torment in high school. Whats worse is often times they continue to belittle true nerds. Also they tend to act like know it all's when they in fact no nothing at all. Like the fact that HAN shot first HAN SHOT FIRST!

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Astro said:
Yes, except female sexual persuasion isn't "hey I'm interested in you so I'll express my interest" in this context, it's "hey I'm going to sit here presenting myself in a certain way to exploit this demographic specifically to reap the attention I'm liable to get."
You really don't seem to have much of an idea about human sexuality, whether male or female. Females (whether considered attractive or not) are generally constantly subjected to unwanted male attention. It isn't usually males who are perved upon and judged by their appearance.

The idea that male gamers are somehow being manipulated or are victims of female predators is one of the most absurd things I've heard in quite a while. And the idea that they do it by just "sitting here" looking a certain way is just ridiculous. If they're just sitting there, then why do you have to involve yourself with them in any way. Where is the exploitation here?

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
Astro said:
Yes, except female sexual persuasion isn't "hey I'm interested in you so I'll express my interest" in this context, it's "hey I'm going to sit here presenting myself in a certain way to exploit this demographic specifically to reap the attention I'm liable to get."
You really don't seem to have much of an idea about human sexuality, whether male or female. Females (whether considered attractive or not) are generally constantly subjected to unwanted male attention. It isn't usually males who are perved upon and judged by their appearance.

The idea that male gamers are somehow being manipulated or are victims of female predators is one of the most absurd things I've heard in quite a while. And the idea that they do it by just "sitting here" looking a certain way is just ridiculous. If they're just sitting there, then why do you have to involve yourself with them in any way. Where is the exploitation here?
Fucking awful argument, Aardvaarkman. Your first paragraph is completely irrelevant, it doesn't address anything I contested, even in passing, and the second paragraph misses the point completely. You are being exploited by someone who's falsely assuming a role in order to provoke a certain type of response from you for their personal gain, the only reasonable argument you could possibly mount against this is questioning whether the effect that it has is a negative one. I never implied you're forced to involve yourself with 'fake nerd girls' (though it's not out of the question because they're intentionally trying to present themselves in a way which does forcefully involve you), I asserted that they're a nuisance and worthy of contempt, whether they directly have an affect on me as a physical being is irrelevant.

You should seriously consider looking at the reasonable conclusion of your argument when you're trying to make a case for the ridiculousness of women attempting to present themselves appealingly for the attention of men. 'Fake nerd girls' not having direct agency doesn't disqualify them from acting intentionally as a conduit, it just makes their approach dishonest and slimy. Yes, consensual male action is required in these situations to feed 'fake nerd girls' attention. No, that doesn't render the girl trying to provoke the attention completely innocent because it's plausibly deniable and not ideal to admit that 'maybe she was asking for it'.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I find Fake Nerd Girls annoying, just like I find Fake Anything Anyone annoying. Maybe a bit more even, since I'm a female gamer. And the reason for this is, because people like that are attention whores, that rarely give a shit about what actually interests you. I have met a few and all the encounters went something like this:

"Oh, you like video games!! Me too!!"

"That's nice. Fave genres? RPG, JRPG, RTS...."

*Blank stare*

"Oh all of them.. They're just so much fun!"

Then I tentitavely throw up a few well known recent or classic titles, to get a discussion started, since by then I assume that the person actually wants to talk video games. At best I get a recognition for titles only, sometimes even "Oh I saw my bf/brother/previous victim play it." Minutes after they change topics entirely and/or start talking about themselves. And at this point I lose all interest in this "nerd".

I just find stuff like this insulting, because it gives off an impression that gaming isn't a worthy hobby (or lifestyle for some lucky individuals) and those who enjoy it are just lesser minded people, ready to worship those who feign even the slightest interest. It's not ego stroking, it's the fact that the person blatantly lies to you for no other reasons that self assertion or whatever, and not because they genuinely care what you think.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
CrunkParty said:
Yeah. Nerds are some real persecuted people I can tell you that. The subject of Oscar bait in a good 60-70 years time.
Bein a gamer worse than slavery it is!:D

harmonica plays

GOD HELP ME NOW!.....CANT PUT MY CONTROLLER DOWN!....CANT GET ME A GIRL!!!! WHAT CAN I DDOOOOOOOOO

lmao

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
JarinArenos said:
Kinda missing the point, I think. Emotional manipulation is emotional manipulation.
I think this is as much ?emotional manipulation? as laughing at a joke you don?t find funny or wearing your best outfit that gives you blisters, but that?s just me. I guess we just think differently there.

Zachary Amaranth said:
You know, you just went from snarking at a generalisation about you being a stripper to making a generalisation about trying to fit in.

I'm pretty sure I don't. I also don't try not to fit in, because I'm not into counter-culture any more than culture.

I also don't think it's fun to try and fit in. Ask your average closeted homosexual or transsexual how they feel.
I don?t think it?s too absurd to believe that the majority of people on the planet would like to get on with the majority of the other people on the planet. When most people go into a new workplace I?m sure it wouldn?t be too ridiculous to suggest that they?d prefer it if the people on the shift were similar enough to them to get on. On the other hand, I do think it is absurd to believe that ?tits = not geek?.

Fair enough, maybe you aren?t the type to try and fit in or not fit in, but those types of people are few and far between. Most people, again, do not want to be the only person in a new workplace who feels like they can?t get on with the rest of the staff. We naturally like to get on with other people and people in total isolation often come off worse for it. You may say you don?t try to fit in, but I?m sure you can think of things you do to not draw attention to yourself even though you?d like to otherwise ? like go to the shops in clothes instead of your nice warm pyjamas. I may be wrong since I know nothing about you, but that?s just my opinion since I?ve yet to encounter someone who truly was indifferent about people who wasn?t suffering from something such as depression.

Also, the closeted sexuality thing is on a different level to what I?m suggesting. When I made that statement I meant things such as dyeing your hair, or trying a new style. You?re doing it to, most likely, solicit a response from others and gain their approval. I don?t think it?s strange to say that many people enjoy feeling like they?re getting ready to go somewhere and progressively making themselves more attractive in what they are doing, but again I speak from anecdotal experience. I don?t think failing to fit in is fun, but I certainly think that people do enjoy trying to keep up with fashions; I see more people looking at fashion magazines for fun ideas than desperately trying to hide their secret lack of style.

So yeah, hope I clarified my points a bit better there.

EDIT - OHDEARFUCK I didn't realise I wrote that much. Apologies, I'm on my first week of night-shifts and apparently the editing section of my brain is asleep.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Astro said:
Fucking awful argument, Aardvaarkman. Your first paragraph is completely irrelevant, it doesn't address anything I contested, even in passing, and the second paragraph misses the point completely.
How is it irrelevant? Females are absolutely treated differently to males, and this addresses your narrative of male victimization.

Astro said:
You are being exploited by someone who's falsely assuming a role in order to provoke a certain type of response from you for their personal gain,
How are you being exploited by them, unless you choose to be? And what is the supposed benefit to them?

Astro said:
(though it's not out of the question because they're intentionally trying to present themselves in a way which does forcefully involve you)
This makes no sense - who are you talking about who used force against you? The discussion has so far been about females who supposedly wear certain clothes, or pretend to be something they're not, in order to deceive. It has not been about females who use violence to force males to do their bidding.

Astro said:
I asserted that they're a nuisance and worthy of contempt, whether they directly have an affect on me as a physical being is irrelevant.
Why is that irrelevant? If they pose no threat to you, then what's the problem?

Astro said:
No, that doesn't render the girl trying to provoke the attention completely innocent because it's plausibly deniable and not ideal to admit that 'maybe she was asking for it'.
What the hell? What was she supposedly "asking for"? And who are you talking about?

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
What narrative of male victimization are you talking about? I didn't mention anything about something being unfair for males, I'm referring to a gender dynamic that could coincidentally be perceived as such, but that isn't an aspect of the point I'm making.

You're being exploited by them because they present themselves in a way which is intentionally exploitative of the male psyche for sexually-charged attention, and it makes no difference that you can choose to ignore them, that doesn't change what it is or why it's contemptible. When a girl is trying to be sexually desired she isn't putting on a display for one person, she's using her physical assets and attitude in an attempt to capture all male attention in her vicinity, whether she likes it or not - that's the nature of it. You can ignore her, but she's still intentionally coercing men, including you or me, into being affected by her if you, as a man, happen to be nearby. Can we force her to stop doing it? Not really, but that doesn't make her less of a nuisance.

'Forcefully' isn't necessarily physical. When you're a heterosexual male and this: [ http://i.imgur.com/10x6H.jpg ] is the kind of caliber of intentionally honed presentation you're dealing with (and in the context of 'fake nerd girls' it often is), you can't choose whether you're affected by it. Physical causality, beyond 'fake nerd girls' trying to make themselves known for getting attention, isn't the root issue.

The problem is that I don't like it. What else could the problem be? I've already explained why I don't like it, if you're going to ask that next.

It's already clearly explained in what you read. A hypothetical 'fake nerd girl' passively pandering to the male psyche to provoke them into giving her attention, often sexually-charged attention.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
17 pages

.........17 bloody pages

what is it about females that makes people go insane?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
17 pages

.........17 bloody pages

I have no idea, I just wish people would all get along. Games are for entertainment, what does it matter who likes them or pretends to like them, I don't think it really hurts anyone.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
17 pages

.........17 bloody pages

I think we all know what it is. Some people just never got out of highschool, mentally. :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
I think we all know what it is. Some people just never got out of highschool, mentally. :p
I think you may be onto somthing there

that and peoples "martyr entitlement" complex

[i/]I suffered for your SINS! thou shalt not play games without aproval![/i]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
BreakfastMan said:
I think you may be onto somthing there

that and peoples "martyr entitlement" complex

[i/]I suffered for your SINS! thou shalt not play games without aproval![/i]
And persecution complexes! Don't forget all the persecution complexes! Because teh wimens/mainstream wants to take away my fun and vidja games!

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Vault101 said:
17 pages

.........17 bloody pages

This site seems to be growing a mentality that women have to work harder for the mere right to exist happily, then turns around and claims gaming does not have a sexism problem.

My biggest issue with 'Fake nerd's' is that no one has ever presented any proof that they exist. At all. It's literally complaining that someone enjoys the same thing you do, but not nearly enough.