Jimquisition: Gamer Guys

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Gamer Guys

Jimquisition travels to another time and another place, examining a world taken over by gamer guys and their testosterone-addled inanity. Something must be done!

Watch Video
I hear you on the "gamer guys" the "bro gamers".

I know some of the video was suppose to be jokes, but the method of calling people out and saying they aren't gamers, isn't exactly a perfect one. Heck I had never even heard of the game you said that the guy on facebook didn't know about.

I've been gaming for 23 years of my 27 year life, and I've definitely haven't seen or heard it all. Plus, obscure Japanese games have never been my thing, not really from the lack of interest, but from lack of funds for collecting and brain space to remember all aspects of gaming I come into contact with. Heck I've read and watched tons of articles and videos on "retro games", and I still learn things and see games I hadn't heard of.

Gaming and games are just so large a medium that I think there really aren't many certain questions that can be asked that are truly fair to determine who is a gamer and who is leech along for the blood-sucking ride. I would think a quiz would be in order, though the problem would be that it has to be administered where the person can't look things up on the internet. Though I think that "friend" of yours on Facebook showed how much of a true "gamer" he is, by not even faking that he knew it by making a quick Google search, because some gamers can get embarrassed(not that they need to be) that they don't know something about their hobby, that they will search for the answer so they can give it to try and hide their ignorance of certain gaming minutia.

But again, I'm rambling and going to deep into this.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
WaitWHAT said:
Imp Emissary said:
Also, don't mean to kill your hopes, but Jim is already married. Or he was the last time I checked.

J-Jim? Married? SAY IT ISN'T TRUUUUUEEEEEE!!

w/e. I'll just put him on the list of people to seduce from their husbands, right after George Takei. [sub]Mmmmmmm[/sub]
Wife actually. Got a kid too. Short of.

Also,

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
SonicWaffle said:
thebakedpotato said:
So am I... I go out and wear my company T Shirt to see if I can get a free drink. All that happens is I end up talking to the bartender about what games they like.
I did once have a barman compliment me on my Penny Arcade t-shirt!

Well, I say compliment, he told me he wasn't going to mock me for ordering cider because Penny Arcade is awesome. Same thing, right?

Which company, out of interest?
I can't really say... NDA and whathave ya.
I can say that I live in Austin though.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
At some point, sex just stops being relevant. However it works both ways Jim, so be careful not to attract too much of a crowd.

Also since things were reversed I expected to see something like this.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Here's the thing that I don't think people are talking about. Yes the whole Stigma of Fake Gamer Girls is Effing Stupid...

But there are fake Gamer girls. Just like there are Fake Gamer Guys! This is a thing that has always existed There will always be people trying to profit off of a fandom without being in said fandom. But who are we to be the gatekeepers.

If someone starts out as a fake fan and then likes it... Then they're a real fan.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
DrThodt said:
Is it really 40%+ of the gaming population that reacts in this way? If that's really the case, there really is no hope for it. As far as a valid solution, I'm really just leaning towards a more sociological approach, not simply getting into shouting wars that no one wins. I've seen such tactics applied, and the minority always just ends up oppressed, and feeling alienated from their own community. Sound familiar?
Not to be a bit too blunt or heavy-handed about it, but I'm sure that the holdout enclaves of the KKK and similar groups feel oppressed and alienated, too. (and yeah, I'm introducing a far bigger issue for comparison, dissimilarity of size doesn't mean there isn't a parallel.)

Talking about an issue helps change the popular acceptance of it. There's plenty of people who don't think there's a problem simply because they don't think about it. Typically because they're the ones being catered to. A bit of education can go a long way.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I reckon it's just a sadder, more pathetic version of the hate placed on "casuals", as well as a heaping spoonful of virgin nerdrage.

When you can pretend that 'no girls are into your hobbies', you can twist logic hard enough to believe that is the reason no girls will go near you (and that it's not your overwhelming body odour, your half-formed, unkempt neckbeard or your completely unfounded superiority complex).

But when there are undeniably girls enjoying the thing you enjoy, you have to stretch logic well beyond the breaking point in order to keep that illusion going. So, clutching at straws, you come up with this insane narrative that it's some conspiracy carried out by girls in order to... do... something, what exactly the supposed end-game of this apparent nefarious plot is I've never been able to figure out.

Yes indeed Captcha, it is a 'no brainer'.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Winnosh said:
But there are fake Gamer girls. Just like there are Fake Gamer Guys!
Reminded of this guy I saw on a "game news" snippet on some entertainment channel or something. Talking about "super mary-oh world" so very enthusiastically, when it was obvious he'd never heard of it, and kept blatantly mispronouncing things. And no, he didn't have any sort of accent otherwise.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm getting sick of this forced gender debate. There have always been chicks into gaming, all guys knows that. They've been in our circles of friends for years and not treated any differently.

What people seem to be angry about but unable to put into words is that:
-Video gaming has been traditionally a "nerd thing"
-The "nerds" have usually used video games or comic books as fantasy escapism because of some sort of social damage
-The "nerds" includes girls who've been in our circles of friends for since ever.
-Starting around 2007ish mainstream culture started liking bits of nerd culutre
-This gets more people interested in traditionally "nerd things". This includes gaming.
-These new people suddenly start trying to make the sub-culture change to suit them, and paint the nerds as "bad people" if they disagree.

In the case of gaming and gender, a very small, very vocal minority who says they speak for all women and all feminists decides nerds are conspiring to keep women out of games and using games to oppress them, label anyone who disagrees as "misogynists", "Women Haters", and potential rapists. This is what started all the "nice guy" hate that labled socially awkward nerds users of women and has groveling on forums about how "I don't want to be one!".

All this with the help of the gaming media, so fearful of being called any one of those things, suddenly starts shaming gamers with finger waggling articles and videos about how awful we all are without questioning the reasoning or rationality behind it all. Did women not exist in gaming for the past 10-35 years? Were the nerd girls made silent by big bad nerd boys? Is there not an increasing number of women in game development?

And as for the newbies having their "nerd-cred" questioned by vets... how do you think sub-culture works? It's always been like that no matter WHAT it is.

Seriously, what's your first reaction to a suburban teen white boy who says he's a hardcore rap fan?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jim, stop betraying me with your enormous penis and manly charisma! It's very distracting.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Nurb said:
And as for the newbies having their "nerd-cred" questioned by vets... how do you think sub-culture works? It's always been like that no matter WHAT it is.
And if the reactions were the same, you would be right. But they're not. I've not seen or heard of a single example of a male cosplayer getting randomly quizzed on his character to "prove he isn't a fake geek". Meanwhile, this happens to female cosplayers all over the place.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Nurb said:
In the case of gaming and gender, a very small, very vocal minority who says they speak for all women and all feminists decides nerds are conspiring to keep women out of games and using games to oppress them...
I think they're just speaking for themselves. Where does Jim or anyone else say they are speaking for all women? You do know it is possible for men to have opinions about gender, right?

This is what started all the "nice guy" hate that labled socially awkward nerds users of women and has groveling on forums about how "I don't want to be one!".
WTF are you talking about?

Were the nerd girls made silent by big bad nerd boys?
Pretty much. Not just nerd girls, but also nerd boys with different ideas about sexuality, etc.

Gaming is no longer a subculture. In any case, subcultures mostly suck for these reasons. People shouldn't be treating each other this way, regardless of the context.

Seriously, what's your first reaction to a suburban teen white boy who says he's a hardcore rap fan?
That it's a completely normal thing?

I haven't looked up the statistics lately, but I believe that young, white suburban males are by far the largest consumers of rap music. So, it would be completely unsurprising for such a person to be a fan of it.

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
You're kind of my hero Jim. Thank god for you indeed.

Also: Never been called a "fake gamer girl" yet. Here's hoping it'll never happen.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
We don't live in a perfect world, so we might as well content ourselves with adapted versions of proven stories rather than strive to create new stories that are a better fit for the medium? Great Expectations is a popular book with clear long-lasting appeal, but would you rather play the FPS adaptation or a totally new game I've just made about Bubbalicious, a levitating horse who can fire flaming daffodils out of his ears? One might be a great story, but that won't necessarily translate to a great game story, whereas the story for Bubba's Equine Quest was created to be a video game and therefore the narrative structure is designed to fit a game rather than the game having to be fit in around the narrative.

But great adaptations, as you pointed out earlier in this thread, are few and far between. What we get more often is an game being hampered to fit around the established story rather than being designed to work hand-in-hand with the medium of video games.
My point with the ideal world thing is that you are working off an idealist logic where people will be creative for the sake of creativity. Which isn't the case. And yes, choose source material is important, therefore nobody suggests to make an FPS out of Great Expectations. Here is the thing: In the translation from one medium to another things will be changed, and figure out how to make something work in a medium it wasn't designed in is a challange that pushes the envelope. If you are just using established formeulas you will not think creatively, and you will just end up stagnating.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
TreuloseTomate said:
I'm a bit lost here. Are "gamer girls" really such an issue? I've actually never met any of these caricature gamer girlz that some people seem to be complaining about. What year is this?
Oh, oh, sir I know this one. Its 2013.

Anyways, I have no problem with girls ciaming to be gamers as long as they're not on about facebook games.
Hell my sis plays ff games and fire... it begins with an e but i cant spell it.
I forgot the point i was trying to make. :(

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Really, on further thought, this utterly baffles me. If we're a formerly-shunned group, now coming into prominence, wouldn't we want people claiming to be geeks? It's the people who like games but hide it - acting like gaming is still shameful - that we should have a problem with.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
You know, I'm curious.

I agree with Jim, that the gatekeeping and boys club mentality has got to go. And I certainly see subtle problems of guys treating women differently, and judging fellow guys geekiness rather leniently, while applying much more strict tests to females, more frequently, and extrapolating wildly from that. But where exactly are all the guys who actually believe and express a problem with women specifically and openly? Sure, you see an occasional troll, and an occasional poorly written article, but I rarely see a large number of unironic people openly criticizing the whole gender. I always see sexist guys couching there sexism in arguments that seem reasonable on the surface, often times not being discriminatory by being categorically different to women, but by matters of degrees, slightly scoffing at a guy who hasn't played Zelda, and outright exile for a girl who can't name some obscure piece of trivia. Am I lucky, in that I see the problem in its more subtle and nuanced forms? Or is there really hoards of gamers out there with a girls-are-icky mentality, not covering there misogyny with so much as a shred of plausible deniability? And I mean by community, not individuals.

Also, Does anyone else have a video ad for some stupid reality TV show that pops up at the hin of a mouseover, and that blocks half of the text field, making writing a response extremely annoying?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I had a good laugh, this was a great episode XD.

Makes the whole "fake gamer girl" thing some people go on about look even more stupid when you flip it, hopefully this helps make them stop going on about it.