Jimquisition: Go Fish

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I have zero sympathy for people who are "offensive" (as opposed to defensive) with insults then getting butthurt because someone else was offensive at them.

Fish is some asshole who started crying because someone threw stones and broke the windows of his glass house when his back was turned. His back was turned because he was busy throwing stones at other peoples' houses.

Ultimate case of "dish it out but can't/won't take it".

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I really appreciated this video. It really brings to light some of the frustrations that developers feel in relation to the consumers, and how that can build up and wear you down over time. Whether about the games they work on and devote their lives to or the devs themselves in some cases.

I occasionally indulge in "reading the comments" (though never in say, a 30 page neogaf thread about me, thanks for that), but it never accomplishes anything other than making you upset, and for as much as you'd like to respond, correct people, or retaliate, engaging in that kind of behavior only results in more negativity.

Even if the situation could have been handled a lot better on both ends, I still can't even imagine what that Fish guy goes through over something that's clearly his life. :(

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
I've done Games Support for a little bit now. I worked Xbox support back in 08 and am working for a company which has had a bit of controversy as of late. One of the facets of my job, is that occasionally I have to deal with toxic players. It's understandable, we've all been there. And a lot of the anger doesn't stem from what went wrong. But from the fact that their usual escape from the daily grind and stress hasn't worked properly.

But dealing with that side of things, in a polite and respectable way, is my job. It is the price I pay to get to say I work for a company whose games I played endlessly as a kid.

I don't play any of the games I support very much anymore. I used to. I still kind of enjoy them. But when I see the same bile I have to deal with at work, I switch into work mode. All be it a less polite version of work mode.

I don't like that. I don't like doing that. Or being that way. So I avoid it. At this point in time, I know what to avoid to make sure that the stress of work doesn't bleed into my off time.

Fish got success and exposure due to his hard work and talent and dedication. It must be harder than anything else to separate work and the bile from his day to day. But I hope he figures it out.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
This is why I've never idolized being in the public eye, way too stressful.

Kudos to you Jim for being able to take it for so long, glad it's settled down a bit for you.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Jimothy Sterling said:
Go Fish

In this extra episode, Jimquisition lends a rambling mouth to the controversy surrounding Phil Fish and his dramatic exit from the videogame world.

Watch Video
@Jimothy Sterling (Jim)

Got to ask, since you're on the side of Fish,:
Do you feel that the GameTrailer guy's comments (about Fish being a "blowfish") were beyond unprofessional? Do you think that him personally attacking a video game developer, the people that make his job even possible, is something that should be taken serious?
I think what I'm getting at is: Should that guy get fired?

I can understand someone saying a game is poorly made. I even understand when pointing out that developers like the guy behind The War Z are nothing but crooks [when obviously warranted]. But that's the line. To personally attack a developer for no other reason than to be a pompous asshole is to basically no longer be a reporter about video games or the industry; instead he's turned troll. And I personally think the best way to kill a troll is by fire...

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
You know, what I like best is that SFIV is actually the worst game they could think of fighting game wise.
It has the exact opposite problem for many people where its so unintuitive, vague, and methodical at higher play, that you need to be handheld by the community instead.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Thank you Jim for all your work.
I really liked hearing that there's someone else out there that agrees that Beer and Fish could have handled themselves better, as well as your words on thick skin and insults.

I've been bullied a lot in my life, and a thick skin has worked in some instances. However, there are, in a gamer sense, those crticial hits that hit the nail on your coffin to then make you go berserk.

Its sad to hear that Phil met his breaking point.
I hope he can rest.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Phil Fish is an obnoxious douche-bag and the only reason he needs to grow up is because he acts like a child.
That being said it's sad how immature the gaming community is in general and the level of abuse is absolutely insane.
It's going to 4chan that you need a thick skin for because you can just leave.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
Should that guy get fired?
An interesting question. The answer is a resounding no. This kind of shit isn't new to journalism. And if we want games journalism to be anything more than another advertising arm, we have to deal with a few muck rakers.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
My favorite critics are the ones I can disagree strongly with but still respect where they are coming from. Purely because it is out of an honest passion for the subject. It's great to argue a point with someone who's opinion you respect. Once I got to "know" Jim I felt that. I don't always agree, but I know it comes from a good place cos he seems like a genuinely nice guy who is not talking shit and whipping up flame wars for views.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
I agree with many, that this show has been one of the better ones; what's with the pictures of children in costumes anyway?
Although I don't entirely agree with Jim, I think this episode helps to see the other side of the story.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, I gotta agree with Jim on this in general. If enough people treat a person like a monster long enough, guess what? They become a monster. Even if it's just briefly. If it persists, then the status of "monster" might last longer, and longer.
The bad people out there? They'll likely just get worse.

Kinda reminded of a line from Frankenstein:
"Everywhere I see bliss, from which I am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous."
Bear in mind I'm not talking about anyone in specefic here, but I'm just reminded of it.

Yeah, a person might bring some ire on to them, but well, you gotta take what you dish out even if the person deserves it in your opnion. If they snap at you, and you provoked them, then it's your fault. You are part of the problem.

If a person can't or isn't allowed to vent, and/or fight back enough, guess what? It builds and builds, and they do something rash.

I'm not saying coddle everyone, but basically what Jim's message is in this video.

Also, Thank God for Jim. I appreciate what Jim says, and the effort he puts into it.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
The thing with Phil Fish is that he doesn't just fight back, sometimes he starts fights like that whole Japanese games suck thing.

And yeah, a person can only take so much abuse before snapping, but it's not hard to imagine that the process was sped up incredibly by the abrasive things he's said so that much at least is his own fault.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Thank god for you Jim! Both your persona, and your personal self!

Refreshing to see you unscripted, and rather interesting to see you talk about something that obviously also is a personal thing.

A /tip of the hat to you and a pat on the back for your good work. No need to be so modest ;)

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Fish is kinda an asshole, but because of that it's ok to be an even bigger asshole to him?

Why is the hypocrisy of that lost on so many people?

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
I was not looking forward to hearing a faux-smug opinion from Jim, and so I'm glad that you did this unscripted and sympathetic. You did good, Jim.

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Jim, I love your unscripted episodes. There is a rawness about them that really works, especially when talking about things that have affected you personally.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Go Fish

In this extra episode, Jimquisition lends a rambling mouth to the controversy surrounding Phil Fish and his dramatic exit from the videogame world.

Watch Video
@Jimothy Sterling (Jim)

Got to ask, since you're on the side of Fish,:
Do you feel that the GameTrailer guy's comments (about Fish being a "blowfish") were beyond unprofessional? Do you think that him personally attacking a video game developer, the people that make his job even possible, is something that should be taken serious?
I think what I'm getting at is: Should that guy get fired?

I can understand someone saying a game is poorly made. I even understand when pointing out that developers like the guy behind The War Z are nothing but crooks [when obviously warranted]. But that's the line. To personally attack a developer for no other reason than to be a pompous asshole is to basically no longer be a reporter about video games or the industry; instead he's turned troll. And I personally think the best way to kill a troll is by fire...
I specifically said in the video I *wasn't* taking sides. This was purely about the assertion that Phil is weak or thin-skinned for leaving the industry. It wasn't about him vs. Marcus. I like the pair of them.

I think Marcus misstepped when he turned a criticism of Blow/Fish's attitudes into personal insults. I think Phil misstepped when he reacted to it the way he did. I think the pair of them wasted what could have been a lovely Saturday making each other and themselves feel bad, and I hope they both continue to do the things they love, with less of the things they hate.