Jimquisition: Go Fish

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
Well, if he decided to leave, maybe that's the best path he have to choose, being an asshole or not. He can decide to go back if he have the desire to make the things he love. Also, he probably should leave Twitter or any other social sites for a while and start repairing the things he have broke before. I probably feels off when Phil Fish start to bash the Japanese developer (even though I kinda agree with him for obvious reasons), but those kinds of words shouldn't have been spoken in the first place, especially if you don't want to provoke people on hating you because that is the result of arrogance.

If he can keep himself together, maybe he received a comeback after making a full measured decision. A better individual, if you will.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Anytime Jim does an extra episode, it's like Christmas. Thank God for Jim!

I can't say that I am too familiar with the man or the events that Jim just described. However, I hate every time I hear that people are issuing death threats to anyone. Be it crappy musicians, politicians, or people of controversy, there is no need for that sort of garbage. And the fact that Jim just implied that he gets that EVERYDAY makes me realize how little I want to be some "in the public eye" individual with a Twitter account.

I mean, doesn't Jim have it bad enough with the paparazzi following him everywhere?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I agree with you on most of this Jim. The fact Fish tried to fight back against people on the internet was not a great move on his part. But the problem I have with the whole issue isn't so much that he's quitting or that he fought back. But it's just how far he takes things when he decides to make a comment. He's someone who I think needs some quality PR around to keep him from putting his foot in his mouth as much as he does. I'm not against people in his position having controversial opinions I disagree with, I think there are many who don't mind Cliffy B existing despite his opinions not always been in line with theirs. But telling someone who you arguing with online to "go kill yourself" is a step over the line for me. Sure, he hit his breaking point, and I don't condone him for lashing out when he reached said point. And given that he may have gotten some harsh comments from various people, perhaps even to that degree, in the end, he stooped to their level and, in a sense, became one of those horrible commentors himself. And, as you said, it was a fight he wasn't going to win. And in that sense, not only was he guaranteed the worse outcome, but he looks worse for having done so.

All that said, a break from all of it is probably what he needed most. With some time away and some ability to clear his head, he'll hopefully return with a drive to make more games regardless of who tries to knock him down. Until then, if we need game devs with personality, we still have Cliffy B... and Suda... and Kojima... And Newell. And I'm sure there's more.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
What a load of shit. Being trained in how to deal with the media is by no means a requirement for making games. There is no reason for a indie dev to be held to a higher standard when his occupation is making games. Fish is only human, why should he be required to take the high road when so many other people don't take it? Is it okay for thousands of random people to constantly throws shit and bully someone simply because they're not public people?

Yes when the storm is to big to overcome one should back down, but when the storm follows you around everywhere you go whats the point? one can only take so many rainy days before one starts yelling at the clouds. I'm pretty sure you've done that at some point, it's not going to help, the sky is not listening, but at least it takes out some frustration.

I don't think Fish stuck with twitter just to spite the haters, he used it just like everyone else, because he wanted. The hate came with the package, and he managed to live with that for quite a while. And you don't want to ignore and look away from everything people say to you, we humans want to know what others think of us, what they say to us and about us. Even if we know it's all negative stuff we still read most of it, because that's how we work.

And he was aggressive, yeah I get that and I too think he should have calmed down. But so what? there's a lot of mindless hate and shit on the internet. If the masses is replying with the same coin maybe they too need some thicker skin?

I'm not gonna address your whole Will Smith thing because Will Smith is an actor in a completely different business who is experienced with the media and he has had training in how to respond to the media.

And I don't think death threats makes people scared that boogeymen from the internet will come and kill them. it's the knowledge that people out there want you, your friends and your family, dead that gets you. It's not a nice feeling when people you don't know want you dead for trivial reasons.

I'm gonna close of with a disclaimer here:
Of course I think Fish could and should have handled this better. He should have taken the high road and not replied to any hate, not because he is a public person but because acting like a prick isn't cool. I think it's wrong for him to call foul when he too is playing rough. However I don't blame him, receiving hate mail is a bigger deal than what people who hasn't gotten any might think. I have been in a position where I got a lot of shit thrown my way, to a muuuuuch smaller degree than Fish, but it is still a very unpleasant situation to be in.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Just "try to remember that the person you're sending death threats to has probably had a pretty rough day"
It is horrible that such a statement is true, it actually makes me a little sick in the stomach that such a thing has to be said.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So it's a case of death of a thousand twats [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfAThousandCuts] then? WARNING: TVtropes link.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I'm not a fan of you Jim. But I did like this show and the honesty / lack of spin of this episode. A lot.

Mar 26, 2008
You're ace Jim Sterling; stay strong brother.

That was a very honest video and I think that a puts a lot of online tirades into perspective.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Question about Phil Fish (I seem to have totally missed all this): What was this endless load of abuse everyone said he was getting? Honest question. Why was he getting the abuse? Fez was really good, it couldn't be for that? Was it for his fairly justified rant on MS regarding update charges?

Oh well. I hope he comes back, at least to put out Fez 2.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
I'm inclined to disagree. Lone Survivor dev Jasper Byrne went on record about receiving a 6-page email where someone threatened to kill his daughter... because he ported the game to the Vita
See, it's things like that make say, "That's enough Internet for me today."

I just want to know where all of this immaturity comes from. It's in the gamer community, it's in the publishers, and it's in some these devs...

I don't condone the bile spewed towards Fish, but he didn't help himself out, either.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Jennacide said:
Fish doesn't necessarily need thicker skin, or at least wouldn't, if he's stop running his mouth off and actively trying to piss everyone off. If he wasn't notorious for comments like Japanese game devs suck, or my personal favorite "suck my dick, choke on it," this wouldn't have ever been a problem. Fish brought the abuse on himself, he has nobody to blame. And honestly, what Marcus said wasn't even that harsh, especially given some of the shit that comes out of his mouth. All he said was what most of us are thinking: If you didn't have a comment on the situation (Xbox One self publishing change), then just say "No comment right now," and leave it at that. Don't get indignant over it.

Also should point out, nobody forced Fish to respond to the abuse he got, but he did, constantly. I've never liked Fish personally, because he's only ever made Fez, and believes it was a revolution for indie games, when it's anything but.
I hadn't heard of Fish before except once, a while ago, apparently he was getting a lot of flak for something, I can't remember what but it may have been the japanese games thing, on that note, did he ever say precisely WHY he didn't like japanese games in a slightly more articulate manor than "they just suck"? I mean I take no issue with the man for having an opinion that doesn't coincide with mine, I've heard the same remark from plenty of people, but from a developer, who understands the ins-and-outs of games, I'd expect a slightly more in-depth analysis when he voices an opinion like that, at the very least to explain what about them he doesn't like, that would at least partially disavow the whole "racism" accusation, so did he ever elaborate?

OT: nice job Jim, from watching I get the feeling you've made these points many times

berna1111

Mar 25, 2013
I don't really understand why someone who insulted or provoked in any other way somebody else gets surprised when they get to ear a response. Isn't their own skin "thick" enough? Can't they take the "criticism" back? Aren't they the ones being childish and in need to grown in the first place?

And yes, good criticism is supposed to be an incentive to perform better and should be respected. But sometimes it gets frustrating and mixed up with all the rest. I mean, a lump of gold combed through a mount of manure is still going to be covered in some when it comes out.

Just learn to "deal with" the fact that sometimes all that anger is not really meant towards you and ignore it as best as you can - both sides.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I liked this video, the unprepared nature made it more sincere. While I don't know the full ins and outs of the situation in question, I do agree that "need a thick skin" argument is lacking an understanding of human reality and that there's no valid point to flaming people for flaming's sake.

VI_Course

Jul 29, 2013
I just can't sympathise with Fish because he was all too happy to deal out insults. He called gamers the worst kind of people. He called people "f***ing ingrates" because they didn't like the price of his game and told them to "shut the f*** up". He deserved everything he deserved everything that happened to him, in my opinion. He deserves no respect.