Jimquisition: Why So Serious?

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
The difference between Comedy and Trolling in the eye of the beholder. Andy Kaufman's style of comedy was undeniably deliberate trolling, and is still a form of comedy. One thing to keep in mind is that sarcasm doesn't translate well, and will frequently be seen as trolling, or serious.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I love Symphony of the Night, it's my most favorite game ever. I realize it has terrible voice acting, but I love it all the more for that. If the voice acting was super professional and serous, some of the charm would be lost forever. Same with the original Resident Evil.

Beretta

Feb 27, 2007
Wilco86 said:
rasputin0009 said:
If you had the chance to influence some really hot cosplay, wouldn't you? Ya, it's pretty blatant that they only want you to admire her high-polygon butt. She could end up being an interesting character. Just that she'll end up being an interesting character with her T and A all in your face.
After MGS4 I'm not sure what Kojima is thinking. The idolized slaughter of dozens of FROGs in the end (who might not have been evil persons per se, but their emotions controlled via nanobots) even during No Kills -playthrough was really disturbing. Also, no male soldiers for Liquid Ocelot, only the Amazon Brigade (check TV Tropes)? OK...?
This.
The FROG Slaughter was creepy.
Ocelot's suicide chipping them to incinerate based their perceived "defeat" was deeply unpleasant; I bet the misfire rate on them wasn't small if the bearer couldn't be knocked unconscious without burning to death to boot (nevermind collateral deaths caused by ammunition and explosive cook-off). But undermined by the usual squeamishness. A little scream, and than the remains are gone. How pat. Cowardice is no reward; MGS4 could have been Spec Ops: The Line years earlier.

I posit that so much of the problem was having a very good anti-war message but being so ham-handed and tone-deaf in it's execution. The FROGS. The simplistic depictions of the PMC soldiers. Johnny Akiba. The idea that the nanobot combat systems were actually insulating their users from mental trauma and the fallout of that system being disabled manages to insult actual veterans, PTSD victims, and the entire concept of human courage. Wow. I never faulted Kojima with lacking ambition, but that's a wide blow to strike.
It's not just offensive, it offends me to have liked it. That's the worst part personally. I really liked MGS1, and looked forward to MGS2. But if the whole program was an elaborate bait-and-troll lesson on being anti-war from someone who things people crap themselves when they contemplate violence I kind of want to register my grievances in person.
Thanks for tainting the idea, you idiot. Thanks for taking someone relevant and important and flavoring it fresh dog crap because you thought it would make it better.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
xPixelatedx said:
I love Symphony of the Night, it's my most favorite game ever. I realize it has terrible voice acting, but I love it all the more for that. If the voice acting was super professional and serous, some of the charm would be lost forever. Same with the original Resident Evil.
My favorite video game voice acting was in the original X-Men Arcade Game. What does that say about me? :p

Jimothy Sterling said:
Fappy said:
Agreed on all points.

Also, kind of off topic, but is Zhang He your favorite DW character? Every time you show footage of DW you are always playing as him XD

It's because of the dance party he hosted that one time, isn't it?
He is my favorite. I love camp characters a lot, and he is especially cool.

The footage I use is from one monster playthrough I recorded for an old Destructoid video. I recorded so much of it that I hate to think I'm wasting it, hence I use it all the time when I mention DW.
Being called the "camp" character in a Dynasty Warriors game is saying A LOT

XD

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Mojo said:
I still cant get over how the Sniper woman looks in Metal Gear Solid 5. Maybe her clothes (or lack of) have some sort of explanation that I don't get as I've not played any of the games myself, but come on. Why is every male character in that trailer dressed absolutely normal, but the one woman has super tight, revealing clothes and a tied together bikini. Shes not blending in with the environment or gaining any functionality from that outfit, but oh well...
Yeah... that "youth who cursed his fate" or something... perfectly normaly dressed.

NO character EVER in a MGS game was ever dressed normaly :p

And last i checked the whole scene was in a desert.. pretty hot out there and as a sniper you usually have to spend long times in the same spot.

Anyways... MGS games are ridiculus when it comes to clothing for males and females. Dont feel to bad about this one stereotypical (in games) female outfit. For a MGS game it is pretty tame.

OT:

A joke is a joke.

An entire article about a joke is a bit to much.

That is why i find Critical Miss (mostly) funny and a page long rant about one aspect of a game not. Its as if jim would make an entire 10 minute episode ONLY about the crappy audience bashing us over the head repeatedly with the same joke.

Or let me put it this way:

A joke that you drag on forever is not funny and makes you look like a douche. (hey there channel "awesome")

Make it short and sweet and it works. But dont waste an entirep age explaining the joke.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
To be able to speak seriously about a subject, you need to be able to joke about it, otherwise it just shows that you are not able to distance yourself and look objectively.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
TwiZtah said:
To be able to speak seriously about a subject, you need to be able to joke about it, otherwise it just shows that you are not able to distance yourself and look objectively.
When does a joke stop being a joke and turn into a petty rant?

Personally i think its when you write an entire page long about nothing but the "joke".

"Get it guys? hehe... the audience... is really crappy looking... get it? Uh.. guys? Guys where are you going? Oh come on guys.. its funny!"

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Well, got to say it was correct (maybe not insightful). I am a major fan of tenchu, but damn that series was silly and ridiculously fun all in the same bundle.

Those npcs and the things they say, lol.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
You know, I have to say that I've found one of the best ways to disarm someone who's trying to insult or irritate you is to, as Jim said, laugh at yourself.

Someone takes a jab at you about your birth being a mistake and that you were intended for the tissue instead? Come back with, "Yeah, I know. My father reminded me of that regularly. He even bitched that the alternative to my birth would have been just as bad since he was out of Puff's Plus."

Nothing's more annoying to a troll than laughing off their insults.

canadamus_prime said:
One does have to recognize the difference between light hearted ribbing of something and legitimate trolling. Although that can be difficult sometimes.
And to complicate things further: nowadays people often start with a lighthearted ribbing, then, once it's become clear their jabs have bothered someone, resort to full-on trolling.

If there's one vice in this world that's reached extreme levels of prevalence, it's schadenfreude.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
There are few things one cannot joke about. Games are not among those things.

Pyrokinesis

Dec 3, 2007
I love Metal Gear Rising: revengeance, but obviously its not a word, things can only be epicly sliced in cutscenes, and Reiden still has dildos for high-heels. Still lovin every minute of that game regardless.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Do I see?

Where we're going, you don't need eyes to see...

Someone out there still appreciates the classics.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
You can't make jokes in gaming anymore, because now it "trivializes" this or "bashes" that, and games have to teach a lesson about it or they're contributing to "____ culture" or whatever.

To these over-sensitive people, a joke means you support the worst thing you can imagine now... but you can still write articles making fun of nerds and gamers though, because nerds and gamers all hate women now from what I hear.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
I just about died when Jim did his 'It's a film reference bit'. Keep it up.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I actually can understand this point. I'm a huge fan of Dragon Ball Z Abridged. That is one of the funniest shows on the internet and Team Four Star are a bunch of geniuses.

However, half the reason I love it so much is that I am a fan of DBZ. So the jokes about the characters are even more hilarious. The Krillen owned count is great because he sadly is owned so often in the series and I'm looking forward to so many future scenes like Cell hitting him into the side of a plane. Or his complete failure of a Destructo Disc on Cell. I'm looking forward to the Cell fight as you just know Piccolo will be proud of Gohan for finally dodging attacks and everyone's reaction to Goku during the fight should be hilarious.

So much stuff to look forward to. And I look forward to it, because I enjoyed the show and fondly remember it.

It's easier to make jokes about something you enjoy than something you hate. If you hate it, it just comes off spiteful. See all those spoof Movie movies. I can't help but feel those were often made with no love for the source material which is why they often fell flat.