Jimquisition: Why the Wii U May Have Already "Won" Next-gen

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
It's probably been brought up, but I'll say it anyway. You can turn any TV with as low as composite inputs (and pretty much all have HDMI)into a smart TV by buying one of those Smart-Top Boxes. They're between $50-$100 and replicate the smart TV experience without the need of a monthly subscription. Sure it won't have all of the features of the TV designed to be smart, but it gets the job done about as well as 360 or PS3.

And I just checked Bestbuy's site, Smart TV's aren't even that expensive for a moderate size (Phillips: 32" about $300)

And I'll say this right now, as a long time gamer, the ability to keep gaming while everyone else uses the TV is a godsend. Me playing my game was always outvoted, but now both can happen. Gone are the days of 10 minute journeys to find the next save point while everyone else just sits and gets frustrated we aren't stopping. Picture in picture helped with that a bit, but that feature is a lost art when it comes to modern TVs.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
MrBaskerville said:
ex275w said:
I think the Wii U will be very successful with the "casual" market, since tablets are all the rage right now.
The "hardcore" market will be much better than with the Wii, since Nintendo is stealing plenty of Hardcore IPs from Sony.
The third party developers also seem to like the console a lot more than they liked the Wii, and Nintendo seems to be more willing to help 3rd parties and getting engines like Unity and Umbra.
Even /v/ videogames hive of scum and villany is pretty pumped for the Wii U.
The only ones who don't like it are the PC Master Race, Nintendo "haters" on the escapist, and people who hate any controller not resembling a Dualshock or XBox 360 controller.
Sony is in big trouble since Nintendo trounced them twice in the hand-held market and are courting hurt developers and Microsoft's Media hub experiment could prove to cripple their new console.
I dunno, wouldn´t people rather spend their money on a tablet? More specifically an iPad with a huge library of cheap games and other useful apps? Personally i don´t see this as being as popular as the wii, i don´t really think the casuals want more than Wii sports, and this isn´t wii sports. I just don´t think that Nintendo Land is as appealing.

It might still do well, but i really doubt that they will do AS well as they did before. Also there´s a lot of talk that this console will win, because the other companies have yet to release information about new consoles? I´m just thinking, wouldn´t it just be a matter of announcing mere exclusives on Xbox360 and Ps3 to make them as or more appealing as WiiU? It might be beneficial to us all if they start a new arms race, Sony and MS could race to keep their customers while Nintendo has to release a shitload of games to make people change hardware.
Nintendo Land is certainly not as appealing as Wii Sports. People spend tons of money on tablets and stuff lately so having a more familiar looking console could be beneficial, kids as well love touchscreen devices.
Still it'd be great if Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony put all their effort in delivering the best console possible, since this generation was marked by huge amounts of bullshit like Online passes.
I do think Nintendo is winning by actually having a console coming out, leading to at least one year before the other consoles release. Also gaming history has proved that the consoles (except the SNES) with the least horsepower wins the generation.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
I like the direction you took this discussion, Jim. At times I have wondered about how SmartTV will affect things like XBL, but for some reason never considered it in discussions about next gen consoles.

Captcha: Bee line

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Rellik San said:
Jeremy Monken said:
Smart TVs still aren't very close to providing a real hardcore gaming experience. They will, at most, have minigamey little app type games along the lines of Angry Birds or all the cheeseball Kinect games. That's the kind of gameplay the WiiU is likely to offer with a lot of its titles.

So how can the WiiU "win" when it's competing with the Smart TVs while the next entries from MS and Sony will be the hardcore traditional consoles we've come to know and love?

WiiU is trying to take on tablets, consoles and smart TVs all at once while doing nothing to appeal to someone that wants all three. Not to mention the buyers remorse it has to overcome with millions of dusty Wiis out there.

I'm betting on Microsoft in this round.
What.. the.. I don't even... what?

Firstly, didn't you miss the point that it's actually Sony and MS pushing into the all round arena, not Nintendo, secondly and I speak for a lot of Wii owners out there... what buyers remorse? Seriously, I dropped a small amount of money for a machine I whip out when friends are around or for playing games like No More Heroes and Red Steel 2. Like... seriously... I don't even... where do these assumptions about Hardcore gamers come from?

Can we have a new definition please? Something like.. I don't know... you're only truly hardcore if you remember your tape deck chewing your Commodore/Spectrum games? Just something that prevents the ravening mob pointing at something and screaming; GREEEWWAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH WHAT ABOUT THE HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!! THAT'S NOT FOR THE HARDCORE!!!!!111!!!!! WHY DO YOU HATE THE HARDCORE!!!!!!111!!!!!

Seriously... are you all like the Borg, some kind of hive mind who all instinctively know what all the "Hardcore" gamers think... cos seriously, as a hard core gamer, I ain't feeling part of the collective.
The Wii does not have bullshit firmware updates, has a very good controller, very good games and for you "hardcore" elitists out there COD: BLOPS. I Love my Wii, Zelda games? yes please, No more Heros? Yes Please, can you hack it to install your own stuff. Yes.

People need to shut up and not have the no true Scotsman argument.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
The Wii does not have bullshit firmware updates, has a very good controller, very good games and for you "hardcore" elitists out there COD: BLOPS. I Love my Wii, Zelda games? yes please, No more Heros? Yes Please, can you hack it to install your own stuff. Yes.

People need to shut up and not have the no true Scotsman argument.[/quote]
While i do agree that it has good games, i can´t agree that it had a good controller, which games were you playing? When i play games like Muramasa the demon blade or Mad world i can´t help but imagine how much easier it would be to control with a normal controller. I think the only games i have that works withouth problems are WarioWare and Trauma Center. Incidentially though, also two of the games i get the most enjoyment out of, on the system, especially WarioWare.

I´ve been in situations where i thought: "hey, this is practically playable" but never have i thought: "this is better than old-school controls!".

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Oh really?

Hey, you want to know something cool? Guess what the 360's best selling game of all time is.

...Kinect Adventures! Isn't that brilliant? I mean, it's one of the two 'hardcore' consoles, and its best-selling game is a collection of casual games for a gimmicky controller. Oh the irony...
Perhaps you don't know, so let me inform you. The presence of optional gimicky controllers on other consoles does not excuse the Wii and Wiiu's default gimicky bullshit controller.

You should also note that best selling doesn't equate to good.

Also, look up the defintion of irony, you don't seem to understand it's usage.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Evil Smurf said:

People need to shut up and not have the no true Scotsman argument.
You Nintendo fans are delusional. The Wii had a good controller? Are you fucking kidding me?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Indeed, every time a videogame sends me into a rage, the first thing I do is hose myself down with hamburger condiments. Jim, you're too fucking brilliant for your own good. You're my write-in for President come November.

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
The Wii-U just doesn't look fun to play for me. Plus the screen seems more like a dashboard, which I though a HUD was a step up from.
Also didn't the Sega Dreamcast have a screen in the controller? Didn't that fail miserably? And was the last console they produced? Could this be foreboding of things to come? :O

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sorry but I don't see any reason to pay £400 for a console that will just keep giving us old games with new gimmicks.

In fact I don't see any reason to buy the next Xbox or Playstation either. Games on PC are giving us the option to use controllers more and more now. And with the ability to download whatever games I want I don't see myself going back to consoles.

More on topic now, I can definitely agree that Nintendo do seem to be doing it right so far compared to what Sony and MS are doing, especially compared to MS. The thing is, down the line, I think that the WiiU will end up like the Wii; used as a doorstop or gathering dust away from sight. And to be honest I'm not willing to shell out £400 to find out if that'll happen again.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Proeliator said:
The Wii-U just doesn't look fun to play for me. Plus the screen seems more like a dashboard, which I though a HUD was a step up from.
Also didn't the Sega Dreamcast have a screen in the controller? Didn't that fail miserably? And was the last console they produced? Could this be foreboding of things to come? :O
Well... no. The dreamcast had a memory card in the middle of the controller that didn't affect the gameplay at all. It was just a neat little thing that flashed a bit whilst you played and when you weren't playing you could take it out ( inevitably lose it)and play mini-games on it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Meh, hardcore gamers are dickheads so what ya gonna do?

BTW, my impression of the Bayonetta WiiU whiners would go a little something more like "Waah waah, I'm a whiny little *****! Waah waah!"

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Sorry but I don't see any reason to pay £400 for a console that will just keep giving us old games with new gimmicks.

In fact I don't see any reason to buy the next Xbox or Playstation either. Games on PC are giving us the option to use controllers more and more now. And with the ability to download whatever games I want I don't see myself going back to consoles.

More on topic now, I can definitely agree that Nintendo do seem to be doing it right so far compared to what Sony and MS are doing, especially compared to MS. The thing is, down the line, I think that the WiiU will end up like the Wii; used as a doorstop or gathering dust away from sight. And to be honest I'm not willing to shell out £400 to find out if that'll happen again.
1. Get your numbers right. The price is now high because it's sold out and people want to earn lots of cash. The premium version was ~£250. £150 is a HUGE difference.

2. I don't think the word "gimmick" applies to touchscreens. The DS proved it's not something niche that won't be used. Also, any tablet and smartphone. Developer showed with many great games that the touchscreen can be used to enchant the gameplay. And there is also the Pro controller. As you could see in the CoD demonstration, you're able to play it normally on the Pro controller. So if the developer don't know how to use the touchscreen, they don't have to.

3.Old games? Please.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-reveals-the-51-wii-u-launch-titles/
Most games are either exclusives or games that will be released simultaneously for the WiiU and the PS360.

4. The WiiU GPU will be a e6760. That's like 4 times stronger than the PS3. The CPU is unknown for now and it has 2GB of ram. I doubt that the difference between the next Xbox and PS will be as big as the current gen difference. At worst, we will get WiiU games with tiny bit worst textures. I highly doubt it will share the same faith as the Wii. Tho my Wii surly isn't gathering dust.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
As usual, so very valid points made in this video. With Nintendo once again getting a jump start on the competition, we will see if they capitalize on the head start. I definitely agree Microsoft might be shooting themselves in the foot with the attitude that, "Our online service commands your money". Guess we shall see soon enough.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
ex275w said:
Nintendo Land is certainly not as appealing as Wii Sports.
Ma'am (Or Sir), I resent that. I've played Wii Sports and I've played Nintendo Land. And let me assure you, that if I chose to save one and chose to toss another one in a burning Garbage can, I would take Nintendo Land ever time.

I played it at a WiiU Experience in Washington D.C., and it was indeed a shiner there! It used the all of the controllers intelligently, the mini games were amazing, the game looked beautiful, and it was just so much fun no matter what controller you used or what game you played! What does Wii Sports have? Tennis, Boxing, and Bowling... Snore...

OT: Interesting points Mr. Jim. I'm already excited about the WiiU though.