Joss Whedon Officially Directing The Avengers

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
HG131 said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
L1250 said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
If this turns out right perhaps people can forget about that whole Firefly-fias(k/c?)o, cuz deep down he's not that bad of a director.
You must be thinking of a different Firefly than me. You're not referring to the cult classic sci-fi/western considered to be one of Whedon's best creations, are you?
I'm not saying i thought i was bad, but what do you think it was that lead Littlekuriboh on youtube to make the joke "...before you can say "Directed by Joss Whedon") I wouldn't call Firefly a success considering it's run-time on TV
It wasn't his fault. Fox doesn't like Sci-Fi. The Sci-Fi Channel tried to buy it when they canceled it, and Fox said no.
Christ >.> I didn't say it was his fault... I know he couldn't help it and that lots of people liked it, but a show is still a fias(c/k?)o if it can't have a longer run, no matter who's fault it is.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Mechalemmiwinks said:
He wrote Alien: Resurrection (IMDB). He then blamed all the actors and the director for how bad it was. And it was written bad. BAAAAD. So, yeah, when this guy fails, he blames everyone around him and distances himself from the project.
As said above, Whedon wrote at least one draft for the film, but it was then taken and rewritten and adapted by other writers and various editing and creative processes. I think it is naive to measure his worth as a writer on Alien 4, a film in a series now known for studio meddling and disgruntled creative staff (Alien 3 and Alien 4). Fox is the thorn in Whedon's side. It's a studio notorious for meddling and manipulating projects. Alien 4 was bad because it was, like the theatrical realease of Alien 3, trully a camel - a horse designed by a committee.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
HG131 said:
]I can't see him as Banner. However, the guy who played Simon Tam might make a good Hulk.
Hm, I guess you're right. Nathan was rumored for Ant-Man though, which would be nice.. Not sure about the Adrien Brody rumors though.. D:

And yes, Summer Glau is indeed quite amazing. I got to meet her and chat last month! :D And Eliza Dushku.. And Dichen Lachman.. And Charisma Carpenter.. Oh, and Lou Ferrigno (the ORIGINAL Hulk).

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
Joss whedon made a name for himself to me when he made firefly/serenity
bacicly a series about a team
and he did it WELL really WELL and sucessfully made one of my favorite movies

and avengers is nothing but a team movie and i believe Whedon is one of the better directors they can pick
also this will enebitably make money and it might give whedon an excuse to get the team together and give firefly a third try
though they will lose points for the omition of
SPOILER
alan tudyk

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
HG131 said:
See what I mean? Either we're in an AU or the Escapist hooked up to one on accident and we're talking to people in another universe. What's scary is that, if true, one of them could be me.
And one could be me. If I find AU-me, I will have no choice but to challenge him to a battle to the death for nerd supremacy. I suggest we all prepare to do the same.
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I'm not saying i thought i was bad, but what do you think it was that lead Littlekuriboh on youtube to make the joke "...before you can say "Directed by Joss Whedon") I wouldn't call Firefly a success considering it's run-time on TV
Fox does have a history of cancelling good shows for things that they caused themselves.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
HG131 said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
HG131 said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
L1250 said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
If this turns out right perhaps people can forget about that whole Firefly-fias(k/c?)o, cuz deep down he's not that bad of a director.
You must be thinking of a different Firefly than me. You're not referring to the cult classic sci-fi/western considered to be one of Whedon's best creations, are you?
It wasn't his fault. Fox doesn't like Sci-Fi. The Sci-Fi Channel tried to buy it when they canceled it, and Fox said no.
Christ >.> I didn't say it was his fault... I know he couldn't help it and that lots of people liked it, but a show is still a fias(c/k?)o if it can't have a longer run, no matter who's fault it is.
No, it's a screwjob.
Sure, call it whatever you want. Apparently i do.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
unholyavenger13 said:
Joss whedon made a name for himself to me when he made firefly/serenity
bacicly a series about a team
and he did it WELL really WELL and sucessfully made one of my favorite movies

and avengers is nothing but a team movie and i believe Whedon is one of the better directors they can pick
also this will enebitably make money and it might give whedon an excuse to get the team together and give firefly a third try
though they will lose points for the omition of
SPOILER
alan tudyk
WHY DIDN'T I ADD HIM TO MY PREVIOUS LIST!? God, he alone is a testament to Joss' ability to pick the right cast members. He portrayed Alpha SO WELL in Dollhouse!

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Also, if Jed Whedon doesn't score the soundtrack, I will be sad. VERY sad. He is a brilliant musician. http://soundcloud.com/jedwhedon proves this.

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
HG131 said:
Brok3n Halo said:
Mechalemmiwinks said:
He wrote Alien: Resurrection (IMDB). He then blamed all the actors and the director for how bad it was. And it was written bad. BAAAAD. So, yeah, when this guy fails, he blames everyone around him and distances himself from the project.
Wow, that was sooooooooo 13 years ago. People have a tendency to improve as writers you know? Since then he's produced a lot more win than fail:

Win:
Speed (1994) - co-writer (uncredited)
Toy Story (1995) - co-writer
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003) - creator, executive producer, writer, director
Angel (1999-2004) - co-creator, executive producer, writer, director
Titan A.E. (2000) - co-writer
X-Men (2000) - treatment (uncredited)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) - treatment (arguably, I haven't seen it but critical reviews go either way)
Firefly (2002) - creator, executive producer, writer, director
Serenity (2005) - writer and director
Dollhouse (2009-2010) - creator, executive producer, writer, director

Fail:
Waterworld (1995) - co-writer (uncredited) (even though I liked it T_T)
Alien Resurrection (1997) - writer

(Filmography blatantly copied from wikipedia and rearranged)

Win to Fail ratio... 3:1

I consider that pretty good.
Fixed that for ya.
Hehe, I watched Dollhouse all they way through and I'd have to disagree with you on that one. It got significantly better in the second season but a majority of the series was filler and wasn't moving anywhere. Now this is arguably Fox's fault, but it still killed the overall structure of the plot. So I think it falls pretty solidly in the fail category.

That being said though, the concept was an awesome idea and there were several individual episodes that were complete win. Most notably Epitaph One, Epitaph Two, The Attic, and almost any episode with Alpha in it. Also Enver Gjokaj performance in some episodes really stood out.

In the end though, I (and most the TV watching world) will always remember it for taking way too much time to find it's footing and stumbling into a deadly pit of falling ratings. This is one of the few series that Fox has canceled on me that I really can't blame them for.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Brok3n Halo said:
Hehe, I watched Dollhouse all they way through and I'd have to disagree with you on that one. It got significantly better in the second season but a majority of the series was filler and wasn't moving anywhere. Now this is arguably Fox's fault, but it still killed the overall structure of the plot. So I think it falls pretty solidly in the fail category.

That being said though, the concept was an awesome idea and there were several individual episodes that were complete win. Most notably Epitaph One, Epitaph Two, The Attic, and almost any episode with Alpha in it. Also Enver Gjokaj performance in some episodes really stood out.

In the end though, I (and most the TV watching world) will always remember it for taking way too much time to find it's footing and stumbling into a deadly pit of falling ratings. This is one of the few series that Fox has canceled on me that I really can't blame them for.
Enver and Dichen both single-handedly made that show awesome for me. Their acting skills are paramount. Hell, anyone catch Dichen's NCIS: LA episode or Enver's Lie To Me episode? Both were brilliant hours of television goodness. Personally, "A Spy In The House Of Love" was one of my all-time favorite Dollhouse eps. Andrew Chambliss wrote it too, quite skillfully. "The Attic" was also neat, if only for Reed Diamond..

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
HG131 said:
Wait, did I walk into the Twilight Zone?
I don't get it..

Are you saying Joss is a good director? What do you call Doll House, then..?

MattAn24 said:
Also, if Jed Whedon doesn't score the soundtrack, I will be sad. VERY sad. He is a brilliant musician. http://soundcloud.com/jedwhedon proves this.
If THAT.. is featured in the Avengers movie, I will lose all hope. Every bit of hope. Every. Single. Drop.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
BarbaricGoose said:
HG131 said:
Wait, did I walk into the Twilight Zone?
I don't get it..

Are you saying Joss is a good director? What do you call Doll House, then..?
An overall good show that was unfortunate enough to be broadcast on Fox, a channel with a history of screwing over good shows in any way possible, including one of Joss's own?

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
BarbaricGoose said:
If THAT.. is featured in the Avengers movie, I will lose all hope. Every bit of hope. Every. Single. Drop.
Did I SAY those songs exactly for the movie? Dude, you need to read properly. Those aren't Jed's only work. He did a brilliant job with Dr. Horrible's songs. I'm sure The Avengers will have fitting themes.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
starwarsgeek said:
Holy crapshit, this is a great week for nerd news.
That's it right there. /thread right now. That's the overall bottom line of today's news. Everyone carry on.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I cannot imagine this ending well.
Couldn't they sign on the guy who directed Kickass? They have proven good at adapting Millar's work. Whedon would probably inject that patented quirkyness that just wouldn't work here.
Ultimate Cap disapproves.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Souplex said:
I cannot imagine this ending well.
Couldn't they sign on the guy who directed Kickass? They have proven good at adapting Millar's work. Whedon would probably inject that patented quirkyness that just wouldn't work here.
Ultimate Cap disapproves.
God no. Not the Kick-Ass director. That'd ruin the movie for everyone else that wants a FUN movie that isn't immature comedy... Or underage violent swearing girls. You monster.