lets collectively lol @ these "I need feminism because..." pics

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I need feminism because it's the only thing that gets me through these threads without crying or punching walls.

OT: I agree with all the pictures. They are all awesome, brave people that I respect a lot more than many of the people in this thread.

EDIT: I've seen someone who doesn't know what rape culture is about. Here's a link. [http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/rape-culture-101/]

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Umm... Am I the only person here thinking that those pictures are actually people in a roundabout way as stating that they don't need Feminism as a movement because these are things that people should do naturally.

1 How would feminism in any way affect this
2 Blatant joke about how strawman feminists claim sexism over names and such like something being called Mankind is offensive
3 the whole desire for sexual objectification vs hatred of it that permeates society something both men and women show.
4 How men are viewed by some "Feminists" as just rapists who haven't raped yet.
5 Armit hair really? That's more a cultural thing than a gender thing.
6 Not so much a patriacal expectation since it's something shared equally by both genders in terms of body weight ratio ect.
7 What does Gender studies have to do with feminism?
8 No artist worth their salt would take that seriously Male Nudes art is just as common and used to be more common

These seem like non serious joke arguments deriding feminism, I really hope these people aren't actually being serious.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
#4 reminds me of that blog post by that massively insane woman some years back, where she technically branded everyone and their dog a rape supporter.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
dragonswarrior said:
You're being a good sport and trying to puzzle these out. I wouldn't mind discussing some of your points, because I agree with some elements of them, not so much with others. If you're cool with that. I know some people REALLY don't like any form of debate on this issue and view it as extremely obnoxious, so I apologize if that's the case.

dragonswarrior said:
#1- Feminism is all about creating equity between the genders, and a part of what feminism promotes (heavily) is smashing down old fashioned patriarchal stupid bullshit ideas of masculinity. Like feeling ashamed because you like things up your bum.
Yep, I'd agree with that. There's another argument to be made here, which is that "sexual deviancy" is demonized even when it has noting specifically to do with gender, so this isn't NECESSARILY a "feminist" issue. But it could be.

dragonswarrior said:
#2- This is definitely the one that makes the least amount of sense. Even then, I can still see how it can make many people uncomfortable to have to be in spaces named for men who were VERY much part of the patriarchal oppressive society in the day, especially when in many ways we are still living in said patriarchal oppressive society. Who wants extra reminders of that shit? Still makes the least amount of sense.
It's a good try, but we have absolutely no context. We have to try and imagine why someone might write this. The moment we start having to invent context in order for it to make sense, the point is lost. Things get named after people all the time. If this sign had a salient point, it was horribly communicated.

dragonswarrior said:
#3- As Bloated Guppy pointed out, many men (and a lot of women) consider sexual harassment to be something positive, i.e "You should be glad men find you attractive enough to harass you." I completely agree with this woman. I need feminism to get rid of this bullshit too. There are just so many fucking problems with this way of thinking.
I had to reach a bit to make sense of this one, so again...it was very poorly communicated. If I'm correct in my assumption, there were about a million better ways she could have stated that. People are going to read that sign as her being mad she doesn't get harassed more, which is going to give everyone a confusion headache. Clarity in communication is pretty important, especially on contentious issues.

dragonswarrior said:
#4- Yea. That's a thing. Male, female, whatever, we live in a rape culture. And unless you are a genius on the level of Kruppe the Arcane you have contributed to it unknowingly. And the only way we are going to get rid of it is, yes, with the dreaded feminism. This world will never be a good one to live in until we finally get rid of the idea that one gender is "prey" for the other gender. Even when we try to mean it harmlessly.
I...have a problem with this. I'm aware of the theory underlying rape culture, and I think it's an interesting starting point for discussions on the topic, but I don't like treating the existence of it as fait d'accompli because it's entirely hypothetical, unmeasurable, and unobservable. You and I could sit here all day and come up with different "X Cultures" and then find anecdotal evidence to support our thesis. "Rape Culture" is about as soft as social science gets.

I think rape culture is such a grey, nebulous concept that it's a breeding ground for the worst kind of confirmation bias. You can literally attribute anything and everything to it if you feel so inclined, and you cannot be debated or gainsayed because it is an invisible, pervasive force. Why is this a bad thing? You're going to have MRA up in here shortly talking about "male oppression culture" and cherry picking examples to fuel their paranoia. So we can certainly talk about rape culture in the hypothetical, but the moment we start treating it like a tangible, established fact we've ventured into some crazy waters.

dragonswarrior said:
#5- People should be able to do what they want with their bodies, and if it isn't harming anyone else, they should have nothing but support and acceptance. Where feminism comes in to this, is that women's bodies are FAR more controlled by the patriarchal male dominated society then men's bodies are. If a woman wants to grow out her armpit hair, the "positive" reactions she gets are still basically people telling her she shouldn't have done it, or that her first concern should be how men will react to it. And that's wrong. That's really really wrong. Especially when you realize that men can do whatever the fuck they want with their armpit hair, and society doesn't care.
Women's bodies are a lot more controlled, that's true, but I'm not sure about "support and acceptance". People ARE permitted to have negative opinions about the things you do with your body. If I grow a mustache, and my girlfriend says "That mustache is disgusting, get rid of it", that mustache is coming off. My girlfriend's personal distaste for facial hair is not a gender issue. Everyone has their preferences, and they are allowed to express those preferences. Even if that preference is "Ewww, underarm hair!" and it makes you feel bad about yourself.

So...yeah. You can't force someone to shave their armpits. But they can't force you not to wrinkle up your nose if it's not your thing, either. You can argue body facism until you are blue in the face, but we ALL have our preferences...male and female...and a lot of them are involuntary. Even you are going to have physical turnoffs, and you are allowed to express them.

dragonswarrior said:
#6- This is a tiny bit more difficult, because of the whole "healthy" thing, but even so she still has a very good point. See the above point number five about women's bodies being more controlled than men's. Women are expected to look a certain way for men, and when they don't, they are considered worthless. No. Really. That's why you can get pudgy male politicians and lawyers who are very successful, but you'll never see a pudgy woman successful in law or politics to the same degree. Ever. Look at the successful politicians and lawyers today. Look at the men and women. Look at how most of the men have fat, and most of the women look like they fight it constantly. THAT'S WRONG.
Eh. I'm not really sure obese males get significantly more leeway than obese females. Neither are respected, and both are (cruelly) mocked for their obesity. I do think we just need to accept that Obesity is Bad and move it out of the realm of gender politics and into the realm of health and welfare. I don't want obese women suffering from heart failure because they're trying to make a point about their right to have calcified arteries without being judged by the fucking male gaze. That's not helping anyone.

dragonswarrior said:
#7- Women who do gender studies are looked down upon as unnecessary or feminazis or etc or whatever. One need merely look at this thread to realize that we desperately need more people taking gender studies.
We really don't. Gender and racial equality should just be socially endorsed and promoted ideologies. Gender studies is looked down upon whether a man or a woman is taking it, because it is viewed as a non-viable degree with poor employment prospects. I can assure you that liberal arts students across the board get just as raucously mocked and terrorized about their poor educational choices. And given we have a paucity of tradespeople and a ridiculous over-abundance of wannabe artists and actors, I think it's pretty evident there's an argument to be made about stupid degree choices. Education is a wonderful thing, but there's a distinction between "educating oneself" and "getting a diploma". The former you can do for free at the library. The latter is you buying your way into a career, often at enormous cost. If that career is "barista" because you took philosophy or the history of art or...god forbid...gender studies...certain people are going to make fun of you. Are those people assholes? Yes! But you're not any richer for realizing that, and this really isn't a gendered issue.

dragonswarrior said:
#8- Yep!! They totally are!! See... Here is the thing. Male bodies aren't objectified when artistically nude because we live in a society that does not objectify men. Female bodies are still objectified, even when it is clearly art, simply because of the society we live in. It's impossible not to objectify them more than the men. Because women are objectified. They are treated as objects and commodities by society. AND THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE. AND THE ONLY WAY IT WILL CHANGE IS IF PEOPLE ARE FEMINISTS. I would like to see the day when male and female bodies can be in the nude without any objectification going on at all.
We objectify men, just not to the same extent. And female bodies are indeed celebrated in art, a fact you noted (in a positive light) above when discussing weight (wait...my bad...that was Vault101). Whether you see it as objectification or celebration is rather in the eye of the beholder, as is often the case with art. You are never going to see a cessation of female nudes in art. We are as a species fascinated by our form, and there's nothing wrong with that. Women are beautiful, they should absolutely be portrayed in art. Men too I guess, but...you know. Penises. =\

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
There is only one place i can think of this thread being posted, and you must read the subtext under the forum heading.

"The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact."

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Giftfromme said:
So much of these are shades of retardness.

So yeah some silly pictures we can all (well I hope at least most would) agree that are damn silly. This kind of nonsense is what stops us having a proper dialogue on actual gender issues in society. Most of these people subscribe to feminism as a way to fix any issue they have, as if accepting feminist ideals in society will make all their problems go away

Anyone agree? Disagree? Anything in between?
I profoundly disagree with you profoundly on every level to the power of infinity.

A proper dialog about Gender issues in Society? Feminism is the only school of thought so far to even BEGIN to properly describe it with educated terminology and background context. All else is self-indulgent idle speculation.

BoneDaddy_SK

Feb 7, 2013
I don't understand how these pictures are supposed to be funny. Is it funny because some of them are less articulate than they could have been? Because one or two statements are of questionable logic? If that's the case, then most of the people on the internet regardless of ideology should be a laugh riot. Or are you saying that they're funny because they're supporting feminism at all?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
My reactions:
#1. Wait... what?
#2. So? And what does feminism have to do with that?
#3. Who thinks that way?
#4. So not supporting feminism means I support rape? Yeah, that makes sense. ¬__¬ /sarcasm
#5. I don't think feminism is going to help with your friends not being very helpful with their support of your decisions
#6. I don't think you need feminism for that.
#7. I was unaware that that was an issue.
#8. You know admiring physical beauty of the human body in art is not really a bad thing. Esp. since there's been male nudes in art too, ever seen Michelangelo's David?

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
BoneDaddy_SK said:
I don't understand how these pictures are supposed to be funny. Is it funny because some of them are less articulate than they could have been? Because one or two statements are of questionable logic? If that's the case, then most of the people on the internet regardless of ideology should be a laugh riot. Or are you saying that they're funny because they're supporting feminism at all?
Pretty much the last question you state.

In the most hyperbolic way I can state: Supporting feminism is tantamount to destroying all logical reasoning, caring about others is ULTIMATELY POINTLESS, and that FEEEEEMAAALESSSSzzzz have it waaay better than the REAL VICTIMS OF OPPRESSION who mostly consist of white straight males of middle class origin.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
My reactions:
#4. So not supporting feminism means I support rape? Yeah, that makes sense. ¬__¬ /sarcasm
It depends. If you are anti-rape and support the sexual autonomy of others you are pretty much a feminist or subscribe to feminist thought.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Quadocky said:
canadamus_prime said:
My reactions:
It depends. If you are anti-rape and support the sexual autonomy of others you are pretty much a feminist or subscribe to feminist thought.
That is what's known as a logical fallacy. I can be anti-rape without supporting feminism, esp. extremist feminism.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
John Funk said:
We need feminism because of people who make threads like this.
This, this post. This is the post.

I've read the whole thread, and while I am honestly not that surprised at the reaction (this forum does not have a good track record with feminism) I'm still pretty depressed about it.

Even if you don't understand those particular points mentioned in the OP, please at least try to understand that discouraging people from supporting feminism is just the worst possible reaction to your own confusion. If you want to know what those people mean, ask them, ask people who think like them.

BoneDaddy_SK

Feb 7, 2013
Quadocky said:

In the most hyperbolic way I can state: Supporting feminism is tantamount to destroying all logical reasoning, caring about others is ULTIMATELY POINTLESS, and that FEEEEEMAAALESSSSzzzz have it waaay better than the REAL VICTIMS OF OPPRESSION who mostly consist of white straight males of middle class origin.
Sadly, I just know some MRM perma-virgin is going to take all that hyperbole literally and offer you a totally not homoerotic bro-job in congratulations.

canadamus_prime said:
That is what's known as a logical fallacy. I can be anti-rape without supporting feminism, esp. extremist feminism.
Saying that you support gender equality and sexual autonomy but you don't support feminism is like saying that you don't eat meat but think that being a vegetarian is stupid.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
"Smash patriarchal beauty standards"

LOL. What does that even mean? How can the standards of what men find attractive in women be anything but "patriarchal" by their very nature?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
BoneDaddy_SK said:
Quadocky said:

Sadly, I just know some MRM perma-virgin is going to take all that hyperbole literally and offer you a totally not homoerotic bro-job in congratulations.

canadamus_prime said:
Saying that you support gender equality and sexual autonomy but you don't support feminism is like saying that you don't eat meat but think that being a vegetarian is stupid.
I support gender equality, I don't support a group of people that don't recognize M2F Transfolk as women. Most don't, sadly.

Until feminist get their act together and accept that, seriously, fuck that noise.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
All this reminds me of one of 4chan's little photo albums on Facebook: Faces of Feminism, which is meant to be a "parody" (ahem) of this.

Mostly it's stupid misogyny (most of it from girls, worryingly), but there was one photo that made me laugh:

I mean... come on, it's funny because it's true. As a straight, white, privileged male, he doesn't really need feminism. It comes with some perks for males, since the vast majority of feminists campaign for equality rather than female dominance (which also means removing the bias against men as "the expendable gender", etc.) but overall he'd be perfectly well-off without it.

In the end, being a male feminist all comes down to one thing: decency. If you're decent, you're for male and female equality.

*saunters off into the distance having answered a question nobody asked*