Look. But don't post.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not wanting to contribute after learning the direction the conversation is taking is usually my number one reason for viewing and not reading.

When I walked into this thread, I thought it was a test that I would fail.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well maybe the Topic wasn't what one supposed it was to be and then you didn't have the oppinion or toughts you did when going into the topic and that's why you didn't post. Or then reading the posts you noticed someone had already posted what you were going to post? Just a few examples I can think of.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
If I cannot contribute or the thread has gone past 3 pages I won't post. Most people won't read the first page of posts, much less the first three so my comment is wasted anyways.

Also if its a political discussion and I don't feel like arguing with someone because I am rather right leaning on a heavily left leaning forum.

Then there are the misleading topic names. And the comedy threads, I often look through those for a good larf but don't feel like adding anything.

Oh and if I get a captcha requirement for a post, that can stop me from posting a lot of times.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I am sometimes just interested in what other people have to say about the topic. Other times the title is misleading. If I find the topic interesting and have something worth adding to I'll do that. There isn't some rule saying you must post in every thread you view, at least there wasn't last time I looked.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Sometimes I don't have anything valuable to add to the conversation, or sometimes what I wanted to say has already been said by others, or sometimes I'm just not interested enough in a conversation to join it.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
It's called lurking. :p
Sometimes people simply don't have anything to say on a particular topic, but that doesn't mean that they're not interested in it.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Dimitriov said:
Sometimes the thread name is misleading, sometimes somebody already posted what you would say, and sometimes the thread is on its 12th page and has turned into a private conversation or flame-war.
Or sometimes you just can't add anything to the conversation. You might click thinking you can but when you get there, it's a false alarm.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Sometimes you think you hav a really good idea but then once you type it and read it you realize its not as great as you thought. There's probably been more potential posts (typed into the comments box and then deleted) then there have been actual posts (if you found a way to keep number of that somehow).

Soemtimes what you were going to say is already said, and you dont want to just say "I agree with..."

And then sometimes its just misleading, where its not as exciting as you thought it would be.

Then again, sometimes you just want to read, and not post.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Because sometimes I am interested to see what other people are saying about things that I am not interested in.

Also, I try to avoid posting if I only have nasty things to say.

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
staika said:
It's those lurkers they're behind it all! I bet even now a lurker is reading this post but won't respond because of the lurker law or something like that. As for me just looking at a thread, its either I just want to look at what others said or someone already posted what I was going to say and then I grumble and go look at other threads.
You know too much. An assassin have been sent to your house he will be there in 4-6 weeks. if you haven't been killed in that time please call us and we will fix it

Edd4224

Jul 5, 2011
Pretty much summed up in the second post. If I feel I can contribute then I will but otherwise my opinion will usually have been said.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Most of the time I do want to respond to a post, but sometimes I just don't know what to say even after an hour of mashing thoughts around my head. By that time I figure that whatever I have to say must not be important enough or make enough sense to be worth posting and close the window.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Dimitriov said:
Sometimes the thread name is misleading, sometimes somebody already posted what you would say, and sometimes the thread is on its 12th page and has turned into a private conversation or flame-war.
This ^^

If what I have to say has been said 10 times over, I won't post. If the title was misleading, I won't post. Most polls I'll just vote on but not post as my reasons have been explained by others.
Some times when its gone into a flame war, I will state my opinion, sometimes I won't. All depends on the situation.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
To be honest there's a lot of people on these forums.It doesn't really have a good feel to it when your single comment often get's drowned in a hot topic.I like being one of those regulars that people have an opinion for when I'm a part of some forums(aka i'm damn old and miss the good old days when memes were different for every forum).Becoming a true regular means having at least 4k posts and being one of the first on every interesting topic.I'd rather just read and drop quick posts when I have something to say.This isn't youtube - not everything needs your comment.Thumbs up if you agree.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Say whatever you like about the distinctness of a topic's title and respective content, but the first thing I noticed here was that horrid run-on sentence you had going on in the very beginning.