Mass Effect 3...I think that people are overreacting

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
I don't understand all the Jack hate. She's the best human squad character. Jacob's kinda bland, Ashley's to much a of Mary Sue, Kaidan struggles through his game long Batman impression, and What's Her Face is still too perfect, but this time genetically modified. Jack is an actual character. She is a developed character, who you can sympathize with. While What's Her face is blessed with genetic modification, Jack knows what it is, and what it's done to her but she avoids fully realizing it at most points. But I also kind of hate her because of her selective bossness.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
well the last bioware game i played and really liked was the baldurs gate series, so i wouldnt call them the makers of games i know and love (ME2 was boring, i fucking hated the kotor games, and i expected much much more from dragon ago orgins)

that being said...of course gamers are overreacting. thats kinda what gamers do. i mean how many times has the "boycott this game for reason stupid reasons" thread shown up on this site? too often, is the answer to that question

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I'm not pissed at the gameplay or the mulitplayer. I'm pissed they're taking advantage of the loyal fanbase they've acquired by all the DLC Bullshit they've introduced. You have the buy the game several times including the collectors edition, 8 figurines and a fucking book to get the "Full" game at launch. not to mention all the DLC after the game is released. It's such a an obvious cash grab and people still don't care. It's sad that Bioware has such a loyal fanbase that doesn't care how much they're fucked by them, it is of course great for them and EA.

By the way they've got 16 DLC packs annouced including all of the above and the collectors edition stuff.

Most of which are probably items purposely taken out to make you pay more. Mass efftect 2 item selection was pathetic if you didn't shell out, It'll probably be even worse in this game.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I was enjoying ME2 and accepting the changes until I got to the ending, which caused my opinion of the game to shift towards "summer-blockbuster empty thrill ride." I feel the same way about Mass Effect as I do about the Matrix movies.

The first one was good, and involved some thinking and ideas. I enjoyed the second one as I was watching it in the theater but after the ending and reflecting on the movie as a whole, it was empty. Then the third movie, that I would have been better off not watching.

I used to sit through crap like Matrix:Reloaded or the Star Wars prequels out of a sense of obligation to a story that was good at some point in the past. Since those experiences I've learned to recognize the signs of an over the hill franchise and cut my losses before it gets too bad. Also being a PC gamer and ME3 being origin exclusive makes the decision easy.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Its all EA's fault. EA has turned this industry into something to be ashamed of.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
My only issue with ME3 is that ME2 was kind of a let down for me in regards to the main story and the leveling / weapon systems. But, I did still love the game, and certainly don't expect ME3 to be any worse on those fronts so really don't have any issues at all with it.

And hell, I have no shame in admitting that I have no objections to any and all boob related content Bioware feels like adding.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
hermes200 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Shavon513 said:
Most Bioware fans' number one favortie thing to do: Complain.
Correction: Most fans of pretty much anything's number one thing to do is complain. ¬_¬
Welcome to the Internet, where people complain about everything, including about other people's complains.

And seriously, its not like any of us has played Mass Effect 3. The bare minimum is to give them the benefit of the doubt; and considering the previous two games in the series, I am giving them far more than that...
What's that? Give the creators of a franchise the benefit of the doubt? What craziness is this?
/sarcasm

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
erttheking said:
Yea indeed there may be a large amount of DLC out there, but frankly how much of it is superfluous? And how much of it is really just added on to make things like art books and figurines more appealing to the people that simply wanted THOSE things? Ashley actually has breasts now? There's a woman in a tank top?...really? You consider this a big deal? A big deal from the series that gave us this stuff?
for the record, i think most people would agree that Jack's "outfit" was fucking absurd. as much as miranda and samara liked to advertise the assets, at the very least they weren't wearing straps that covered ... whatever it is "jack" was trying to cover.

and everyone agrees that sexuality is as much a part of the ME series as shooting off your weapon is, but when they start adding superfluous women in tank tops who's sole (current) reported purpose is to stand around and report on the shit you accomplish in game, that reeks of lazy pandering to a male base that (generally) deserves better.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
yes, because ALL bioware haters hated EVERY aspect of mass effect 2, ESPECIALLY the oversexualization of characters as opposed to the banal writing that went into them. I hate EVERY aspect of the new gameplay, even the revamped powers that are fun to use now. I hate the ENTIRE story, even though i hold up some missions as milestones for other games to follow. i'll HATE mass effect 3, even though i'll still buy it (okay, this one's actually true).

but still, fight overreacting with overreacting.

to me, mass effect 2 was the exact opposite of me1. combat was exciting and interesting in me1, but powers were almost worthless. not so in me2. me1 was a space opera with an epic and engaging story with a satisfying conclusion even though there would be a sequel, not so in me2. characters were all at least good, with a few rising over others. characters in me2 have more extremes. me1 had interesting and colorful environments, not so in me2.
although i like me1 more, i can't decide which one is really, actually better

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ascarus said:
erttheking said:
Yea indeed there may be a large amount of DLC out there, but frankly how much of it is superfluous? And how much of it is really just added on to make things like art books and figurines more appealing to the people that simply wanted THOSE things? Ashley actually has breasts now? There's a woman in a tank top?...really? You consider this a big deal? A big deal from the series that gave us this stuff?
for the record, i think most people would agree that Jack's "outfit" was fucking absurd. as much as miranda and samara liked to advertise the assets, at the very least they weren't wearing straps that covered ... whatever it is "jack" was trying to cover.

and everyone agrees that sexuality is as much a part of the ME series as shooting off your weapon is, but when they start adding superfluous women in tank tops who's sole (current) reported purpose is to stand around and report on the shit you accomplish in game, that reeks of lazy pandering to a male base that (generally) deserves better.
You know it's a little early to declare that that is the sole purpose of her entire character, somehow I think there's more to it than that, especially considering how her voice actor got pulled into a video alongside the voice actors of David Anderson, FemShep and the Illusive Man, I don't recall them throwing in Emily Wong or that other snooty reporter. Way too soon to call her out solely for being in there for the sex appeal, especially considering we know just about jack diddly squat about her.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Rariow said:
BioWare is milking the Mass Effect franchise? IT WAS MEANT AS A TRILOGY FROM THE BEGGINING. Do you know what a trilogy is? A SERIES WITH 3 PARTS. (Sorry. That particular complaint just makes me want to go kick a puppy)
while your point is valid, each game should be an act in an overall narrative.

Act 1: the setup. the protagonist and setting are introduced, as well as the threat and the conflict. at the end, the "call to action" occurs, and the story kicks into gear. Check

Act 2: the protagonist(s) are on the path to get stronger, but their condition (usually) worsens. me2 fails at this entirely, instead opting to derail the current story path to introduce the collectors. at the end of the game, we are in pretty much the same position as the end of the first

Act 3: the conflict is resolved, the main "dramatic questions" are answered, and the protagonist(s) are better/changed in some way. bioware should get the "resolution" part down well, but i doubt shepard will undergo any kind of character development.

EDIT: tl;dr:
while yes, it is a trilogy, me2 might as well just not have happened, for all that it does to the main plot

iastreb93

Jul 21, 2011
I love Mass Effect. I love the first one, one of my favourite games of all time. The second was epic as hell, thought I still enjoyed the first more. The thing is: this is one of my favorite franchises ever.

And for the first time ever, I'm seriously afraid BioWare are going to screw this one up.

I don't mind having multiplayer, it's just that... I think that in the past BioWare wouldn't have put a co-op mode for no apparent reason. Mass Effect was never that much about the fun in the shooting as much as enjoying the universe that evolves and rotates around you. Why make a multiplayer mode if really nobody wants it?

Also, I believe that most ME fans are just scared after the ship wreck that was Dragon Age II. The story was OK, but then again, the game itself was shit on a plate. Since the announcement of ME3, it all just feel way too rushed to me. I don't see the compelling world of before, I see a bland third-person "Gears of War" style shooter. I really don't see the epic conclusion of a massive intergalactic war, the conflict that was hinted towards since the end of the first game.

I just really hope my Gaming Sixth Feeling (lol) is wrong about this. I really hope to play the masterpiece that the game deserves to be. Sorry for the wall of text.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
People over reacting about women having cleavage? Absolutely not.

They are perfectly justified. Don't you realize children are playing this M rated game? And why the fuck couldn't I have sex with the Rachni queen? Was she not skanky enough? How come all the female characters are attractive? This is fucking bullshit Bioware.

Is this a game to you Bioware? Huh!?

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Well, there's Origin. "You wouldn't download a Car!" Well, i would actually. But i wouldn't buy a Game that infects me with Leprosy, the Plague, AIDS and Cholera.

If you really do want to give Money to EA and help destroy the Videogame Medium, get the console Version. Unless you have an extra Computer around that you can use for that Game and that Game only.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
TheScientificIssole said:
I don't understand all the Jack hate. She's the best human squad character. Jacob's kinda bland, Ashley's to much a of Mary Sue, Kaidan struggles through his game long Batman impression, and What's Her Face is still too perfect, but this time genetically modified. Jack is an actual character. She is a developed character, who you can sympathize with. While What's Her face is blessed with genetic modification, Jack knows what it is, and what it's done to her but she avoids fully realizing it at most points. But I also kind of hate her because of her selective bossness.
Jack is awesome, and my most favored crewmember.
I will use her to kill the IGNorant Chobot lady in ME3.

Seriously, why is that *insert a dirty ladiesname here* in Mass Effect?
Frakkin' Paris Hilton of gaming.
Not relevant, talented and not even that beautiful.
Actually, pretty Uncanny valley inducing.......O_O

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Good games Bioware had a hand in:

Baldur's Gate I
Baldur's Gate II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect I
Mass Effect II
Dragon Age I

Bad Games Bioware had a hand in:

Dragon Age II