Microsoft Addresses Xbox One Concerns

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Lovely Mixture said:
LetalisK said:
Baresark said:
Steam offline mode works for like a month at a time.
It works as long as you want it to work. I spent about half a year without going online with Steam once and played any game I wanted that I had installed. The biggest issue with Steam's offline mode is that it was implemented in a half-assed fashion leading to some dumb situations. For example, even though I could not connect to Steam despite having internet, I could not enter offline mode if I had internet, meaning I had to pull out my internet cord and actually go fully offline any time I launched the Steam library and plug it back in after it launched.
I think some games on GWFL do it similarly IIRC.

For Dark Souls:
If you're connected to the internet and you select offline mode, it prevents you from accessing your saves.
If you're not connected to the internet, it gives you your saves.
I shouldn't be surprised, I guess. If Valve can't seem to get it right there is no way in hell GWFL would even get close. I can't believe that still exists.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
kk, I won't buy it. Thanks for the clarification Microsoft.

Sidenote: Does this mean if you get banned from xBox live your console gets bricked? Cause that's really shitty of Microsoft if it does.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Irridium said:
And just like that, I'm not buying the Xbone.

I was burned once with this Spore-like DRM with, well, Spore. No way in hell am I paying $300-$500 or whatever the price of this console will be for the same thing, but fucking worse.
SPORE was my Richard Nixon moment.

Ruined my star crossed infatuation with games.

Now I'm just a grumpy mistrusting husk of a man.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Andy Farren said:
Are there statistics on this? Is "everyone" on broadband now? I live in the UK, and there are still places where you can't get a mobile phone signal, let alone ADSL. I'm assuming that the continental US has enormous areas where broadband is not an option.
Exactly, the UK is one of the 8 richest countries on the planet, is relatively compact and densely populated and yet we still have spotty broadband coverage, and even in areas where broadband is available it can be poor/intermittent. Microsoft is cutting out whole swathes of the market right from the outset, internationally this thing is going to go down like a lead balloon.

I think Watchdog is going to have a field day with this thing.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
st0pnsw0p said:
The Article about Used Games said:
We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers.
Shouldn't this be the other way around? The way it's phrased here makes it sound like giving publishers the option to allow us to trade in games is some new, useful, innovative feature, which it's not. When it should say is that publishers have the option of NOT allowing us to trade in games. Microsoft obviously phrased it like this to make the news sound better than it really is.

As a whole, it's not as bad as some of the stuff that Microsoft told us at first, but even so, there's no way I'm supporting any console that has the innovative new feature of not letting me do whatever I want (so long as it's legal) with any game that I legally own.
What this is is MS trying to pass the blame for when we finally realize that no, you really can't sell trade or give away your old games. They are trying to blame it on the Publishers. Because they have "The Option". Uh Huh. Apparently they could find no viable way to blame Bush or something.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I was rather expecting this announcement to consist of whichever shill they chose blowing a raspberry at us.

Turns out that would have been more pleasant.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
i just thought of something else. The armed forces, often times they do not have internet for long periods of time for various reasons, this would make the console completely useless to them removing one of the easiest comforts to give them (consoles and tvs are fairly easy to transport/find)

im surprised i haven't seen this mentioned yet

Triality

May 9, 2011
Right that settles it. I'm going to buy a PS4 and a Nintendo 3DS. At least 2 outfits haven't completely screwed up this generation.

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
Well looks like the next gen for me is PS4. Unless they go they way the Xbone then it will be PC only for me.

And I DO NOT have my 360 connected to the internet all the time. So the you are wrong Nelson.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
This is extremely arrogant coming from MS. Like another poster above, I currently live in China. Although I do have broadband, many things can go wrong: MS could block my IP range because "Lol CHINA!", China could block or stop my connection to MS. Buying games online through the console will be an hassle as they prob will not allow me to buy my games using my Canadian CC while using a Chinese IP and so on...

Can't rent games? Can't do anything I want with the physical copies? Go to hell.

I'm not touching that turd. I'm glad I brought back the best gaming computer I could to China when I came back here from my last vacation.

The only thing Sony has to do to win is to make the PS4 a more powerful PS3 and keep the same features. LOL!

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Some things were clarified when it comes to licensing games [http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license], which, I guess, is how we refer to buying games now.
To be fair here that has always been the case for any kind of software including video games. I agree that this is a stupid an unnecessary complicated point of view on an end consumer level.
But then again we, the damn stupid consumers, let them get away with it. We actually would have to change some laws to stop that kind of bullshit but then again that would mean some disorganized consumers go up against the media lobby. Or in other words 0 financial support vs. millions of dollars... pretty easy to figure out why it is the way it is.

That said I can actually live with that. I would have to connect my Steam every time I want to install a game or even before I can switch to offline mode.
Yea every day is even more draconian but then again my PC and consoles are actually online every damn second they are on. I just needed some way to cover the time when I can't connect for whatever reason that might be.
My personal experience is that if I have a problem with my ISP than it is usually just for a few hours. That said I usually don't have problems. So connecting every 24 hours should be any problem for me at all.
I do not buy used games nor sell my games so I don't care about that.

So I'm still very much neutral on everything. Show me some games MS and then we talk.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
Heh,I see Jim welcomes these news also:
Jim Sterling @JimSterling

My dilemma about what to cover on Monday's Jimquisition is solved. Screw E3 predictions, let's have another week shitting on Microsoft.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I love my 360, i really do & in all honesty I could live with everything that they are doing with the Xbone, but... I refuse to because of this stupid shit, fuck'em. I always new Microsoft could & would do stupid shit & they have never failed to live up to that fact. Screwing so many potential customers out of what could be a very impressive piece of hardware is just so idiotic, I know so many loyal Xbox fans that will go for a PS4 now, myself included.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
-__-

Wow Microsoft... you really fucked up with this one.

There are no other words. Simply, "you fucked up." Looks like I've got some upgrading to do on my PC, and this more than cements my decision to invest in the U. Hell, even the PS4 is looking kinda enticing right now.

Again Microsoft... you fucked up.