Microsoft Buys Skype

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Frybird said:
Lots of Worrying for Skype clients on Windows and Android getting replaced with "Windows MSN Live! MessageTalker (Skype(tm) enabled
This - I don't like MSN or windows live or any of that other crap :/ I like Skype being its own thing without much by way of corporate ties. Not very happy about this, tbh. Not this I used skype all that much...

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Note to self: Delete Skype account.

I didn't really use Skype often but like alot of people are saying I loved the fact it wasn't another tendril on the Great Old One that is Microsoft or Apple.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
*deletes Skype account*

Anything being handled by Micro$oft's tentacles is in for a disastrous ride.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Xbox Live? Does Xbox Live really need Skype though? I mean, it already has cross game chat and party chat. Unless Skype does more than I think it does, I don't see why Xbox Live needs it.

Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
I still don't see why this is a bad thing, other than speculation on how Microsoft will apparently "RUIN IT FOREVER!"
Neither do I. But wait, guess I'd better delete my Skype account like all the cool kids.

(My account that I just got a week or so ago and have used once, so if it does more than I think it does like I mentioned above, it's because I have barely used it so far. And no you can't have my Skype ID.)

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Skype got bought by MICROSOFT?!?!?! May as well kill the entire Skype brand....would have been cleaner.

Microsoft buys....THEN DESTROYS.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
(apparently non-Gold members can't even send each other messages)
Nnnnnnnnnno. Not true.

I've never been a big Skype user, haven't got much use for it as long as I've got a phone. Might find a use for it if it's on XBL though, so that's good.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Despite the price it was a good move by Microsoft. Seeing the interest from Facebook, and especially Google, they smartly took the infrastructure away from them, so now Google, Facebook, and whoever else was interested will now have to start from scratch on their own service. It's like by a property in Monopoly just so no one else can have it. It gives you a good bargaining position later on down the line.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I love how so many people are like "OMG Delete skype account" - We dont even know what MS is going to do with Skype yet, the end user on PC might not even feel a difference, at all.

Ill still keep using skype, as, really, it does its job, and will continue to its job, just in more places.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Next Week's Headline:
User Base of Skype Drops by Half

hehe
I joke
I don't really use Skype that much, and when I do I use the chat function. Usually just to talk with weird European friends who don't use normal chat programs for some reason :p

I wonder if this will crap up its Mac install base at all?

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
If they turn Skype into a pay as you go service, I'm gonna hafta smack a *****.

And by a ***** I mean Microsoft's CEO.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
They'll probably cut out features and compatibility then release a "professional" version for money which does all the things the old one did.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Grampy_bone said:
They'll probably cut out features and compatibility then release a "professional" version for money which does all the things the old one did.
Or merge it with Lync

I love Lync ^_^

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
I dearly hope Microsoft doesn't start charging to use Skype, seeing how I use it at least a few hours a week for gaming. Even longer when just chatting with friends. *prays that MS doesn't try to add too many crazy features and charge per hour*

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
One question - I was planning on downloading the Skype iOS app earlier today. Does this mean that Skype won't be supported anymore on Apple devices, like my iPod Touch? Because if so, then this peeves me greatly. If not, then fair enough, nice business move from MS - I approve :D.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
NOOOOOO!!! I can't stand to see skype, a great service I love and use every day, turn into some badly designed Microsoft software that only makes sense in the mind of some Microsoft employee who's probably living on the moon. Yes, I'm looking at you "Games for Windows".

Back to tin cans and string I guess...