Microsoft: "We've Lost Our Way" on PC Gaming

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
The Lunatic said:
Weren't Microsoft talking about "The Cloud" around this time last year?

What happened to that?
Turns out trying to use the U.S. internet infrastructure to due data heavy processing is a terrible idea.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
All this interacting with the console gamers and sharing stuff across platforms... i'm telling you, it won't work.. and you all know it... watch out, here comes Global Failure Went Live 2.0 and it has a monthly fee.

Sep 24, 2008
I keep re-reading to see where he says "So, here's Killer Instinct. We're so very sorry".

I'm not seeing it, so I'm finding it a bit hard to care.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'll believe this sentiment when they put a new, core Halo game on the PC. And it has to be a good port, with simultaneous release across all platforms with all the support you would expect in terms of updates the like. Then, and only then will I be willing to believe that they're taking the PC platform seriously.

Words are cheap Microsoft, show us action.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Hey MS you want to win back PC gamers... stop chaining directX versions to WIndows versions. Hoinestly we figured out long ago the only reason you do this is to create a selling point for the new OS.

Nah Sorry Ms... developers are edging ever so slowly away and now so are gamers.. They've gotten to like open platforms for development and gaming. and Devs

Or maybe you could you know release an OS and stick with it for more than 2 years.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
C'mon, Microsoft. The problem isn't a systems problem. Nor it it a services problem. The chief reason consumers think you are clueless about PC gaming is a catalogue problem.

How many dollars are spent on medium-high end gaming rigs every year? I don't have any stats handy, but I'd guess in the hundreds of millions. Whatever the number, I can safely say it's a lot. Where you fail, Microsoft, is that you primarily publish on PC things that are technically games, but target a completely different audience than the ones spending these dollars on gaming rigs. Sure, Hexic [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexic], Snap Attack [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_Attack], and Age of Empires: Castle Siege [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires:_Castle_Siege] may all be good games, but that's not why we're buying these fancy machines. We want games like Sunset Overdrive, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and Forza Horizon. We don't want to lose out on exclusives to your own platforms, such as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Spencer, I truly believe you're trying to increase Microsoft's PC gaming presence. I believe you when you say you want to solve this problem. But until you understand what that problem actually is, in a manner consistent with reality, you won't be able to. Nobody is buying $800+ PCs and complaining there's not enough Sudoku clones in the Windows Store. Bring your AAA games to Windows, do so in a timely fashion, and the dollars will follow.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I know you're afraid of Steam. Since it's not your platform, you don't bring in the same kind of money as from your own stores. But I have an idea. Something you've already done in the past: timed Windows Store exclusives. It worked for Halo: Spartan Assault, now just do it for higher-profile games. Plenty of fans will forego their preference for more gamer-friendly platforms such as Steam for a game they want badly enough, even if they know full well it'll be on Steam later. Those that don't aren't going to jump ship to an Xbox One from their PC or PS4 anyway, so giving it to them on Steam later is purely new sales that otherwise would've been lost.

P.P.P.S. You're welcome

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
ZiggyE said:
Linux is the future of PC gaming. The future can't come soon enough.
Oh, how I would love for that to be true. I gave up on the hope for such a glorious future about 7 years ago, when I too was sure it was coming...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I foresee this will either go two ways;

1- Xbone exclusive titles will get a simultaneous release on PC and console with seamless integration of online compatibility between the two.

2- Microsoft will set up the Xbone so it will stream to a Windows PC so you can play it on your PC. But you will require an Xbone to do this.

Guess which they will chose.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
flying_whimsy said:
3. Release on Steam
After all this time are you not aware who Microsoft are? They see themselves as the Big Dog that runs the yard, not some midcarder.
The day they do what you want there fully is the day everyone will know they've just given up.

ZiggyE said:
Linux is the future of PC gaming. The future can't come soon enough.
Linux is nothing but a vanilla midget who can't draw. Linux wasn't a draw 10 years ago, isn't one now, and certainly won't be in 10 years either.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
You know what, Microsoft? I'm good. I don't need your "help" with PC games. Every time you try you just end up fucking things up even more. All I ask is for future versions of Windows to be efficient, stable, straightforward and doesn't conflict with older software or try to force bullshit nobody wants down our throat.

Kudos for realizing the Xbox One is a trainwreck and it's too late to win people over, though. Maybe next generation you'll have a console that I'm remotely interested in.

Scars Unseen said:
2. Why call it "XBox" if there's no box? ExBox, maybe?
I prefer "XBAX" myself

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Louzerman102 said:
The Lunatic said:
Weren't Microsoft talking about "The Cloud" around this time last year?

What happened to that?
Turns out trying to use the U.S. internet infrastructure to due data heavy processing is a terrible idea.
also trying to keep anything secure on the US internet infrastructure is a terrible idea.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Pretty words, like many times before, but I'm not exactly holding my breath in anticipation. Not without something more concrete than words.

C.TYR

Dec 30, 2013
Look, Microsoft...
If this means creating another launcher just for your own games, making us pay any sort of subscription, or doing any other sort of restrictive bullshit, we're just not having it.

Frankly, if anything, we just want titles that are exclusive to xbox to be also available for p.c. Those exclusives get more money, you get more money, we get those games, everyone is happier.

If you're still doubting this, just take Killer Instinct as a test run. Port it to p.c., put it on steam, and just watch the numbers soar. It'll be great and it'll be easy. Eeeeeeeasssssy money. You understand? It's free real estate!

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
This made me think of an interesting question, purely hypothetical, mind you.

If M$ offered to let you pay for a sub, for the privilege of BUYING XBone exclusives, would that even give you pause?

Not that they would EVER do that, how else are they supposed to sell Xbones? Just the ramblings of a lunatic...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
flying_whimsy said:
3. Release on Steam
After all this time are you not aware who Microsoft are? They see themselves as the Big Dog that runs the yard, not some midcarder.
The day they do what you want there fully is the day everyone will know they've just given up.
:p After all this time have you not been paying attention to microsoft's tentative efforts to explore the pc market by releasing some of their xbone launch titles on steam? Between the massive failure of windows 8, the shrinking pc market, the coming release of home gaming computers meant to compete with consoles, and the negative pr death of games for windows live; they aren't exactly the big dog they used to be. If they didn't have such a firm lock on the corporate sector I honestly think these last few years would have put their viability as a company in doubt.

Despite your combative tone, I do totally agree with you that linux simply isn't the viable alternative that we were promised and likely never will be.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Things I have heard umpteen times before and would care to never hear again:

1) PC gaming is dead; long live the consoles.
2) Our new console prints money and cures cancer.
3) We REALLY REALLY REALLY care about PC gaming and swear we're not trying to recoup the appalling losses from our console division.
4) Here's a buzzword we cooked up. Could you please use it? Please? We really need this.

Though, in fairness, the tired mantra of "PC gaming is dying" appears to be finally disproven in favour of "PC master race".