Molyneux: Fable 3 Will Upset Some People

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
JakBandit2208 said:
Were any of the Fable games good?
Nope. They're pretty boring. They offer a lot of choices that have little to no impact on actually playing the game just for the sake of having them. The stories have no emotional engagement and are about as generic as they come, and the gameplay is... competent at best and broken at worst. The actual combat and interaction in the first game flows fairly well on a technical level; the controls are solid; but the advancement system wasn't thought out terribly well and promotes the "Spellsword" playstyle as the most blatantly obvious optimal playstyle in the game. From start to finish you'll cast the time stop spell, berserk, and speed, then go to town on everything without touching any of the other options for tackling problems--which gets boring, fast. When you complete the game with everything maxed out, you'll briefly think about doing a second playthrough to try something else, then ask yourself what the point is and promptly put the game on the shelf and never play it again. The moral choice system at the heart of the game is also broken, allowing you to flip-flop between good and evil at a whim in order to keep you from being excluded from any alignment-exclusive content. I guess some folks don't have a problem with that, but it also means there's no reason to replay for the sake of trying a new alignment either. To top it all off, though, it's genuinely REALLY HARD to be evil, no matter how many townspeople you slap and maim, just because advancing the game's story involves killing monsters, which automatically gives you goodie-two-shoes points.

I can't speak much for the second game since I never played it, but I hear it's exactly the same, just on a bigger scale. Overall thoughts on the Fable series: it can't decide if it wants to be a medieval "The Sims" or an action-RPG and fails to be engaging as either. It also treats sex with the same attitude as a lurchy thirteen-year-old, so there's that too.

As for Mr. Molyneux's news flash... I don't see how a game I'm completely apathetic about could possibly upset me.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Now, I am kinda confused, as I liked Fable one and 2, and I understand the ending of Fable 2 ending (journey, not the destination)

Can somebody please tell me why everyone hates Fable 2?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Benjeezy said:
Well, Fable 2 upset me.

He gets credit for being consistant.
Couldn't have said it better myself, I really hope project Natale fails, I hate motion control, takes the fun out of the game, I can't immerse my self in a game while flailling my arms around.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Caradinist said:
Might he be referring to a shitty ending/quest that will leave you depressed/pissed?

If that's the case, sure, go right ahead, we eat Law & Order:Special Victims Unit endings for breakfast.

I don't know, Molyneux might be exaggerating.
Truly happy endings from that show.

OT: I was super pissed at Fable 2. I thought it was an epic fail. So I'm highly doubtful I will buy 3.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Caradinist said:
Might he be referring to a shitty ending/quest that will leave you depressed/pissed?

If that's the case, sure, go right ahead, we eat Law & Order:Special Victims Unit endings for breakfast.

I don't know, Molyneux might be exaggerating.
It's Molyneux, of course he's exaggerating.

sidereal_day

Feb 5, 2010
The only thing that could piss people off about Fable is another overhyped mediocre experience from the best promoter in the business, Peter Molyneux

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
If it is Natal only...I am going to be VERY pissed.

I loved Fable 1, Fable 2 was pretty good, 3 better pull it back or I'll be pissed anyway.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Does anyone believe ANYTHING Peter Molyneux says anymore? His hype is legendary for being absolute shit.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
They're keeping the slow turning circle on your character?

That alone would stop me buying it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now that curious...although we all know he is well known for making over the top remarks in the past...

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
johnman said:
Rape will be possible and controled via crotch thrusts in Natal?
You're a funny man.

OT: I've got no idea, but I'm pissed off already. Because I can.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
maybe they are going to bring in more people with the same horrible accent...
seriously fable 2 made me long for the bland boring american accent that crops up in most games

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
I kinda took it to mean, with the dual themes of leading a rebellion then later leading for yourself, it would upset people for political reasons. Not hard to see where being a rebel against an established regime could upset conservatives. Also not hard seeing the King portions involving using torture, colonization, or the like to keep your kingdom safe and running, which would piss of liberals. as just my take on his words...

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Meh, I liked Fable 1 and 2.

Not the greatest game evar. But they were good fun.

I think he's talking about emotionlyy involving the player, which he failed with in F2.