Monster Hunter Tri

LaymanX

Sep 4, 2008
Oh my God, there are so many people bashing the game who CLEARLY haven't played it.

The tutorial is not even CLOSE to 10 hours. You can do it in 45 minutes if you're not a complete retard.

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
A full video and a full article about Monster Hunter Tri from the world's harshest videogame critic (probably), and I only find one thing that would put me off getting Monster Hunter Tri (the talk of a ten hour tutorial being, obviously, a gross exaggeration). Unfortunately, it's enough to put me right off the game all by itself. It's the weapon degradation system. I don't like weapon degradation systems. I don't like any method a game might use to actively punish you for playing. What's the point fighting if your weapons going to go blunt after ten hits? It's like pissing into the wind.

mr Awsome

Jul 27, 2009
milskidasith said:
mr Awsome said:
alright, when he said a "ten hour tutorial" he was obviously exaggerating, i guess some of you are too dumb to realise that.
the tutorial took me like 3 hours at best
but maybe theres a pretty long tutorial because they dont want you going in the game with no experience with a weapon whatsoever fighting this big baddass of a monster and dieing ever single time. if i didnt play the tutorial, or if there was no tutorial, i would get so frustrated from dieing that i would stop playing.

so maybe you people will stop letting yahtzee have such a big influence on you that you only buy the games he gives good reviews for.
this is probably the only time ive gottne mad over somethin as stupid as this, not at yahtzee for giving it a bad review because everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mad at you guys for listening to him as if he was jesus reincarnated!

***Form your own opinions through experience***
There's still a difference between exaggeration and hyperbole. In this case, he's made the tutorial from a reasonable amount of time (an hour) to a completely unreasonable one (ten hours). Even if it's an exaggeration, that doesn't change the fact it moves the timespan from "annoying to some, but playable" to "Holy shit this isn't ever worth it."

That's like saying if I said your face was covered in acne and it looked like you lost a knife fight because you had a shaving cut and a speck of dirt on your cheek.
exxageration or hyperbole, whatever you want to call it, its things like that that make people think yahtzee is God of the games and that the game is bad if yahtzee says its bad, when its not.

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
obex said:
NamesAreHardToPick said:
obex said:
lol the equipment management gripe is so off-base it's not even a thing. I mean on what grounds can someone gripe about how a character has to go HOME to change like 50 pounds of armor, or how you can't carry an alternate weapon when the one you've brought clearly wieghs a ton? While other games let you tote a closet worth of clothing and a garbage-can sized rocket launcher that just spring into existence when you hit the hotkey, you can't tell me with a straight face that this ridiculous immersion-breaker from 1980's roleplaying games is an important feature for every videogame to emulate.

It's not like there's a "right" or "wrong" kind of weapon for 90% of the monsters you hunt, though depending on your play style some might feel that way... and that's a matter of trying different things and learning the ropes again and we know how much respect having to invest some effort for a game gets around here.
Ok this i must simple respond to i will have to ignore your possible valid point about right and wrong weapons as i havent played the game.

But have you never herd of suspension of disbelief its where you accept that this is a work of ficiton/fantasy and never think "where does legolas keep getting his arrows from? he never picks them up" or "Why does my wow character never need to go to the bathroom?" because we want to play a fun game not get bogged down in realism. I mean if you want to move more towards realism like COD or w/e fine do it but FFS i dont want realism in a game about fighting monsters! We maybe i do and when they make one ill have a look but you cannot pass of something as an attempt at realism when there are no other realistic things in the game!

What happens with realism is it impresses you by making you think "Holy shit thats just like real life!" for example in Farcry 2 when on low health your character does special stabilising healing where he does a context sensitive action such as bandaging a wound, patting fire out on his clothing or pulling a bullet out of his leg when this happens i think "Wow this is like what would happen in a real gun fight!" but in when you got back to your house did you think "holy shit this is totally like real life if i was like fighting monsters i couldn't carry all that shit at all its way to heavy!" Is there one other aspect of the game that is realistic like this to show that it was not just a rubbish mechanic i mean how does your health recover do you drink potions i hope not that silly how does that work i mean is it magic if so why not a magic bag to carry my stuff in infact do you have a inventory weight? Or can you carry infinite gold/magic potions/Frogs eye just not more armour?

This is ignoring the elephant in the room that this is game about fighting monsters REALISM HAS NO PLACE HERE. We want fun game play elements not realistic ones or if you want a nice compromise why not make a realistic game play mechanic that doesnt sound like a total pain in the arse? You talk about immersion breaking i can think of nothing that would kill the mood of being a bad ass monster killer than having to trek home so i can change my clothes.

Seriously i said that i wouldnt respond unless you guys came up with something awesome and im pleased to say you rose to the challenge amazingly this was the single stupidest definite of a game mechanic i have ever heard. Ever.

Infact not to be over insulting (because lets face it this is going to be insulting no matter how i say it but try not to take it to heart) your a god damn inspiration i wrote this large post in mere minuets i could go on all day deconstruction your argument im gonna have a hard time stopping myself respond to whatever you give me next. Im writing this out so fast i feel like i could write a novel on just how stupid your post was i mean i could of just told you to google suspension of disbelief (you should btw) but it just inspired me to tell you how wrong you are. Dont take this to personally your probably i nice guy and all but if Karma exists then get a pen because that post was so stupid that to balance it out your probably going to cure cancer or something.
that was a fairly weak answer to that weapon changing thing but its there because when monsters take certain amounts of dmg(lets say poison) they take less poison dmg, and you could potentially break the game.

Clunks said:
A full video and a full article about Monster Hunter Tri from the world's harshest videogame critic (probably), and I only find one thing that would put me off getting Monster Hunter Tri (the talk of a ten hour tutorial being, obviously, a gross exaggeration). Unfortunately, it's enough to put me right off the game all by itself. It's the weapon degradation system. I don't like weapon degradation systems. I don't like any method a game might use to actively punish you for playing. What's the point fighting if your weapons going to go blunt after ten hits? It's like pissing into the wind.
the weapon degrading system is there to kinda make the combat more interesting, when the weapon bounces, and it will if its sharpness is not full, you're open to attacks and etc. 10 hour tutorial is an exaggeration, 10 hits and blunt weapon isn't as obvious but still one. The weapon doesn't really degrade that much during one fight, depending on what kind of weapon you're using, a weapon might lose a sharpness bar in maybe 10~15 min, and you wouldn't have to get it back up more than 3 times the entire fight

shadowmarth

Jun 1, 2010
obex said:
Ok this i must simple respond to i will have to ignore your possible valid point about right and wrong weapons as i havent played the game.

But have you never herd of suspension of disbelief its where you accept that this is a work of ficiton/fantasy and never think "where does legolas keep getting his arrows from? he never picks them up" or "Why does my wow character never need to go to the bathroom?" because we want to play a fun game not get bogged down in realism. I mean if you want to move more towards realism like COD or w/e fine do it but FFS i dont want realism in a game about fighting monsters! We maybe i do and when they make one ill have a look but you cannot pass of something as an attempt at realism when there are no other realistic things in the game!

What happens with realism is it impresses you by making you think "Holy shit thats just like real life!" for example in Farcry 2 when on low health your character does special stabilising healing where he does a context sensitive action such as bandaging a wound, patting fire out on his clothing or pulling a bullet out of his leg when this happens i think "Wow this is like what would happen in a real gun fight!" but in when you got back to your house did you think "holy shit this is totally like real life if i was like fighting monsters i couldn't carry all that shit at all its way to heavy!" Is there one other aspect of the game that is realistic like this to show that it was not just a rubbish mechanic i mean how does your health recover do you drink potions i hope not that silly how does that work i mean is it magic if so why not a magic bag to carry my stuff in infact do you have a inventory weight? Or can you carry infinite gold/magic potions/Frogs eye just not more armour?

This is ignoring the elephant in the room that this is game about fighting monsters REALISM HAS NO PLACE HERE. We want fun game play elements not realistic ones or if you want a nice compromise why not make a realistic game play mechanic that doesnt sound like a total pain in the arse? You talk about immersion breaking i can think of nothing that would kill the mood of being a bad ass monster killer than having to trek home so i can change my clothes.

Seriously i said that i wouldnt respond unless you guys came up with something awesome and im pleased to say you rose to the challenge amazingly this was the single stupidest definite of a game mechanic i have ever heard. Ever.

Infact not to be over insulting (because lets face it this is going to be insulting no matter how i say it but try not to take it to heart) your a god damn inspiration i wrote this large post in mere minuets i could go on all day deconstruction your argument im gonna have a hard time stopping myself respond to whatever you give me next. Im writing this out so fast i feel like i could write a novel on just how stupid your post was i mean i could of just told you to google suspension of disbelief (you should btw) but it just inspired me to tell you how wrong you are. Dont take this to personally your probably i nice guy and all but if Karma exists then get a pen because that post was so stupid that to balance it out your probably going to cure cancer or something.
...Are you high? You went on a five paragraph rant about the fact that you can't CHANGE EQUIPMENT IN A MISSION? That's incredibly irrelevant! As many people have stated previously, you can't change weapons because that would be extremely exploitable and reduce teamwork, and you can't change equipment because... well... why would you need to?

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
Yahtzee spends 10 hours on the tutorial, gives up after the first boss, then writes a review which a number of ZP fans accept as The Word of God, and as a result MH fans froth at the mouth over the perceived injustice.

Let's just sweep this whole cluter-fuck under the rug, shall we?

shadowmarth

Jun 1, 2010
Clunks said:
People have already spouted plenty of misinformed bullshit about that in the past. The sharpness is there for two reasons: As a method to balance the weapons, and as an incentive to upgrade. Once you get a weapon with a decent chunk of green sharpness (not difficult), you'll be fine, and only have to sharpen MAYBE twice a monster. And given that the monsters travel, you will have plenty of time to do it, and it takes only a few seconds. The game also throws whetstones at you like a ************ and you'll never run out of them. Your sharpness resets between missions so there is no in-town repair or anything. It's an extremely minor aspect of the game, and if you're turned off of the ENTIRE GAME because of that, then that's your problem.

Grandleon

Jun 1, 2010
Clunks said:
I don't like weapon degradation systems. I don't like any method a game might use to actively punish you for playing. What's the point fighting if your weapons going to go blunt after ten hits? It's like pissing into the wind.
No, it punishes you for smashing your weapon against heavily armored bits instead of attacking the squishy underbelly/head/tail (varies based on monster). Don't abuse your weapon and it'll last longer. Besides, it takes all of 5 seconds to sharpen it up to max. You just have to avoid getting yourself hit in the process.

Complaining about the sharpness system (it's really not weapon degradation since the weapons never actually break) is like complaining that Bee Mario has to rest a few seconds to get his flight meter back to full.

NoblePhilistineFox

Apr 8, 2010
milskidasith said:
NoblePhilistineFox said:
OHMYGODIJUSTSNIPPEDMYSELFTHEPAIN!!!!
I never had trouble with the Rathian... it's one of the easiest bosses in the game to solo with a switch axe, and you can easily break every part as well.
I use the longsword(and sometimes the bowgun in areana but thats not the point) and in order to do any amount of damage worth doing I have to yellow the spirit gage,
which requires me to stand still for longer than the rathian allows me to.
plus my fire resistance is -19, so I get one-shot killed with the fire blasts.
and I cant tell you how frustrating it is to be killed by poison the exact second you use a mega-potion/lifecrystal, because it still counts against the item and your reward and buffs decrease...
and that happens quite frequently to me.

and breaking monster parts is easy, killing them is harder (Gobul i a good example of this)

Omikron009 said:
I thought I (and a few friends) were the only people who knew how much icy hot hurt when applied to....sensitive areas. Wow.
Whats icy hot?
like that back patch thing?
why would you apply it to your junk?

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
NoblePhilistineFox said:
milskidasith said:
NoblePhilistineFox said:
I never had trouble with the Rathian... it's one of the easiest bosses in the game to solo with a switch axe, and you can easily break every part as well.
I use the longsword(and sometimes the bowgun in areana but thats not the point) and in order to do any amount of damage worth doing I have to yellow the spirit gage,
and I cant tell you how frustrating it is to be killed by poison the exact second you use a mega-potion/lifecrystal, because it still counts against the item and your reward and buffs decrease...

and breaking monster parts is easy, killing them is harder (Gobul i a good example of this)

Omikron009 said:
I thought I (and a few friends) were the only people who knew how much icy hot hurt when applied to....sensitive areas. Wow.
Whats icy hot?
Try killing smaller monsters after paintballing the boss(in a different map) , it takes 5 hits to get it to a state where it won't drop for a minute or two, so go fight the boss and as long as they don't fly away, you won't lose your spirit bar.

Also try eating Meat+Dairy before going into battle, it gives you lot of heath(45) and a small defense boost(5) and eating firedose berry(I think not sure about the name) right before battle helps a lot too.

As for Icy hot, its like bengay, and it hurts like hell, someone dared me, I had to prove my manlyness. Never again though

Zetsubro

Jun 2, 2010
tl;dr

Yahtzee gets butthurt because people point out again that he's bad at video games and makes shit up/exaggerates minor points in his reviews because he can't be bothered to play the game longer than fifteen minutes.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Seriously too many people care what other people think.

Yahtzee didn't like a game that you do, boo hoo hoo, this is to be expected. Even he said this, if you like it then why do you care what someone else thinks of it? Seriously go get your game put it on and enjoy it! If he doesn't then that's his loss right?

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
shadowmarth said:
obex said:

...Are you high? You went on a five paragraph rant about the fact that you can't CHANGE EQUIPMENT IN A MISSION? That's incredibly irrelevant! As many people have stated previously, you can't change weapons because that would be extremely exploitable and reduce teamwork, and you can't change equipment because... well... why would you need to?
Nah its not about the point its the fact that the guy tried to justify it with the fact that this was an aid to realism i just thought it was so silly i must put him straight i mean really realism in a game named monster hunter tri as to your point although i havent played the game it seems a good answer to my original post but even if its an necessary evil it is still an evil and yhatzee is going to make fun of it because thats what he does and there are many times he has done it before and many times he will do it again.

But i can understand why you would only skim a 5 paragraph rant in hine sight i really should of just PMed the guy as it was completely off toipic and i dont hold it against you that you misunderstood me.

Grandleon

Jun 1, 2010
NoblePhilistineFox said:
Your positioning is way off if you're having that much trouble with Rathian. You shouldn't be getting fireballed or poisoned unless you're in front of her. Sheath your sword and get to the side/behind. She stands still a lot if she's not in enrage, getting yellow gauge on her should be simple. She doesn't spend long in enrage time, so just patient and put survival above damage until she does. Even if you can't boost your long sword's aura, it's not THAT huge a boost (yellow aura is maybe 6-7% increased damage over no aura). Bring a full set of antidotes, they're cheap to buy. Poison is not a status you want to try to heal through in this game.

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
Clunks said:
There are weapon selections, like the hammers, that almost never degrade. Plus, if you want to fight with another weapon you can upgrade it as you go; The sharpness increases with each upgrade only the unmodified weapons after ten (or so) so few hits. Besides, it's really easy to sharpen the weapons, and the early monsters rarely take even ten hits to kill. I reccomend you at least give it a rental.

Also, Ten hour tutorial, lol. The tutorial is two hours tops. I got through it in about forty five minutes, total.

To each their own I guess.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
NoblePhilistineFox said:
milskidasith said:
NoblePhilistineFox said:

Omikron009 said:
Whats icy hot?
Err... spirit gauge increases your damage from the longsword about 1% of the weapon damage, divided by whatever the longswords modifier is (2 point something, I think), per bar. The big buff is getting to red (about 5% per hit, IIRC), and having it maxed out at any level (a huge flat increase to damage).

Also, you *can* get your spirit gauge up on common monsters; it will stay yellow the entire fight.

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
milskidasith said:
Err... spirit gauge increases your damage from the longsword about 1% of the weapon damage, divided by whatever the longswords modifier is (2 point something, I think), per bar. The big buff is getting to red (about 5% per hit, IIRC), and having it maxed out at any level (a huge flat increase to damage).

Also, you *can* get your spirit gauge up on common monsters; it will stay yellow the entire fight.
yeah but having yellow spirit gauge lets you use that one weird move that knocks everyone in one mile radius off, I'm pretty sure that has decent modifiers.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Krimson Kun said:
milskidasith said:

yeah but having yellow spirit gauge lets you use that one weird move that knocks everyone in one mile radius off, I'm pretty sure that has decent modifiers.
Actually, you can use the spirit combo on *any* level, whether you are at none, white, yellow, or red, unless by yellow you meant "when the gauge is full."

The spirit gauge has four levels:

None: Base damage.
White: 1% increase on a few moves.
Yellow: 2% increase on a few moves.
Red: High % increase on most all moves, eventually goes back down to none.

When the gauge is full, it will stay maxed out for a few minutes and give you another damage boost, but since the spirit combo is terrible (The first two hits are hardly more powerful than the base attack, the third leaves you open, and the last pisses off everybody if you are playing online) it's mostly useful to have a max gauge for the additional damage boost.

Note: Offline, the spirit combo is a lot better; it's just that online, having an "Everything in 10 yards gets launched across the map" isn't useful when your hammerer is trying to superpound and your SnS guy is breaking the beasts chest/paws/on the other side of the tail.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I gotta be honest, the Monster Hunter series is only for the most hard core of gamers, it's a long fucking game that never truly ends and to master it you must put in a LOT of hours....like me!