Most Disliked Stereotype

Mr Metzger

May 26, 2010
Irish people being drunks.

However I am Irish and I am a university student so 80% of the time I am drunk

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
BlackEagle95 said:
I'm African-American with decent grades, I speak proper English(most of the time), and I don't steal.
Wait- People still think that way? Have you tried informing them it's no longer 1954?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Honestly, there's not a whole lot of stereotypes that are applied to me, as far as I know. I've had a few, but they were (mostly) true.

DuctTapeJedi said:
Wait- People still think that way? Have you tried informing them it's no longer 1954?
It's not really an invalid stereotype, depending on your area. Places like Detroit, you're about 30 times more likely to meet a black dude fitting that stereotype than not.

I don't really get why people get so pissed off about negative stereotypes. Yea, they're not complimentary, but the fact of the matter is, stereotypes exist because they are generally true. What that means in a practical sense is that you can make assumptions on someone's personality/behavior based on stereotypes, and it will usually be correct.

Now, that's not to say it's correct all of the time. Anyone who actually believes that is an idiot. The use of stereotypes is a good way to predict someone's behavior without knowing anything about them though. You just need to keep an open mind to the fact that said stereotypes could be wrong quite easily.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
DuctTapeJedi said:
BlackEagle95 said:
I'm African-American with decent grades, I speak proper English(most of the time), and I don't steal.
Yes and yes. Not an all the time thing, but I've had a few encounters. Pain in the ass really. I never take it too hard.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
monstersquad said:
Zantos said:
That christians are stupid.

One day someone will start with this and get hit by lightning, and I'll know the big guy has my back.
See, you're reinforcing the stereotype with this really stupid comment. I don't think you're stupid, I just disagree with this statement, tongue-in-cheek or otherwise. And this isn't the first time I've had conflict with an evangelical about comments in hjest or otherwise. Just last week I called my friend's girlfriend a *****.
Was that because of her beliefs, or because she was just a *****?

It's not that stupid a comment, definitely not the worst I've heard, or said. People know it's just banter, and way better than the people who get het up about that sort of comment.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I'm bisexual, so I must be a fuckin' sex addict.
I'm a girl gamer, so I must love to chant that I have a vagina while playing online to get attention.
I call myself I furry, so I must be into the pr0n.

iTeamKill

Dec 17, 2007
ReservoirAngel said:
"Your typical homosexual male will be in great shape, well-dressed, wearing sandals, holding a brightly colored drink and listening to Celine Dion."
Aww crap... I'm everything you said except sandals and celine dion.... :(

edit* Actually, thats not so bad :3 can I replace celine dion with lady gaga?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Patrick Young said:
the australian stereotype the stereotype of australia is that we have giant spiders Australia does not have giant spiders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

Three inches is pretty decent.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I hate how when I say I'm not Christian people automatically assume I'm a Satanist. What's worse is when I say I hold a Pagan belief system, people - not just Christians, mind - assume I worship the Devil and sacrifice babies. I don't have a problem with Christianity or any other faith, it's just not mine, and it bothers me greatly when people make assumptions based on what I personally believe. I know not all of them do this, and I make every effort to not hold any stereotypes towards anybody. I also dislike the stereotype that Vikings were only really good for raping and pillaging and that their modern-day descendants are stupid.

There's also the one about everyone from America being an ignorant, close-minded bigot.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Oh just because I'm a Muslim I must be some sort of extremist who wishes death upon America.

This was extremely disgusting during that whole NY mosque crisis last year. Then again it was pretty stupid to locate it close to a very sensitive site.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
Canid117 said:
Patrick Young said:
the australian stereotype the stereotype of australia is that we have giant spiders Australia does not have giant spiders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

Three inches is pretty decent.
Resist the urges... "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID !"... damn... no self-control...

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
The stereotype that gamers are star wars fans. I have never seen a star wars movie apart from that 1st prequel one, did not like it, and have no feeling what so ever of wanting to watch them, they just do not interest me! but I like to think I'm a gamer.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
DuctTapeJedi said:
When I got back from Africa this summer, a bunch of people kept asking me what it was like sleeping in mud huts in the jungle, and eating bugs.

Dude, the first day we got to the place we were staying, there were two kids sitting on the sofa playing X Box. We had pizza soda regularly.
Pizza soda? That sounds amazing.
Also, who seriously believes that?

OT: I really can't stand the whole "You have poor social skills and read Star Wars novels at lunch, so that means that you also play World of Warcraft and have no social life." dealio. I have plenty of friends, I just have problems talking to people I don't know very well, and I act kind of weird sometimes.
*sigh*

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Patrick Young said:
Not even a big K'nife? :(

OT The muslim terrorist is by far the most disgusting one, it's like saying that all christians are child molesters.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
smearyllama said:
DuctTapeJedi said:
When I got back from Africa this summer, a bunch of people kept asking me what it was like sleeping in mud huts in the jungle, and eating bugs.

Dude, the first day we got to the place we were staying, there were two kids sitting on the sofa playing X Box. We had pizza soda regularly.
Pizza soda? That sounds amazing.
Also, who seriously believes that?
Like, my mom's entire half of the family...

And it was the best pizza I have ever eaten in my entire life.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
That being a youngish bisexual male, i must be a "poser", or in it for just more sex.

That because i'm catholic, i'm instantly uneducated, (mostly a belief held by athiests), can i say, if i hold more qualifications at gcse and studied in higher education in science than you, odds are probably good that when your talking to me i probably already know that half a theory you've heard which you've got wrong while explaining ;-).

Also yes i have a subscription to new scientist, and yes i've read richard dawkins, and no i've never read the bible from cover to cover as a form of entertainment, and yes i can be understanding of other faiths, i wonder how many 'militant athiests' i argue with have actually even seen a Qur'an never mind read one.

That because i bash sony i'm an xbox fanboy, Nah just really didn't enjoy the PS3 which i had for a year, nor do i enjoy their executives approach to winning customers by calling competitors which have outsold them 3-1 as babysitting devices (ds).

That because i have long hair that i need a haircut, sorry but i like my hair long.

That because i'm only 5 foot 8, as a man i have some sort of debilitating physical weakness.

That i'm a gamer, and as a gamer i must hate the outdoors, sorry i walk 10 miles a day in work, i don't fancy running round a field in my spare time chasing a ball, but i do enjoy the fresh air that the outdoor world does provide.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
iTeamKill said:
ReservoirAngel said:
"Your typical homosexual male will be in great shape, well-dressed, wearing sandals, holding a brightly colored drink and listening to Celine Dion."
Aww crap... I'm everything you said except sandals and celine dion.... :(

edit* Actually, thats not so bad :3 can I replace celine dion with lady gaga?
Sure. I personally chose to replace Celine with ABBA, in which case I fill out 3 of those criteria.