Most "holy shit" inducing game section ever?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The end of the original Star Fox, when Fox and the Admiral are actually speaking to each other. It was weird as hell hearing actual spoken words coming out of my SNES(people take stuff like that for granted now).

The Nuke scene in Call of Duty 4. Seriously, that scene had some major impact. Crawling out of that helicopter and seeing the mushroom cloud for the first time was... unsettling.

When the High Dragon landed in Dragon Age: Origins, I whimpered a bit. Still not as bad as dueling Loghain though. He was chasing me around in a circle and hitting me from across the room with his sword. I had to start playing the Benny Hill theme just to keep me from breaking my controller in half out of frustration.

Bioshock: Would you kindly?

Knights of The Old Republic:
you are Revan
o_O. Unfortunately that was spoiled for me by someone else, because I could never get that far in KoTOR.

All the Scarecrow sections in Batman: Arkham Asylum(especially the last one).

The Vigil conversation in Mass Effect, and the battle of the Citadel.

I think I'm going to stop now, because I can go on like this for a while.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Fighting (that is, running away from) a T-Rex in King Kong well fits the bill. Especially prevelent in my mind is when we were on a raft in rapids with a T-Rex chasing us. Its face was right there and my Tommy gun might as well have been a pop gun.

Edit:

Another good one, running away from the bear in Condemned Bloodshot. That was scary as shit.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
"Snake! Plug your controller into the second port!"

...what.

"I can't read your mind!!"

...I reiterate. WHAT.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
J3llo said:
This thread sure is full of spoilers!

But my most recent holy shit moment was while playing Limbo, that game has a speed of like 3 hsm/m (holy shit moments per minute)
We Tropers use the HSQ (Holy Shit Quotient). It is determined by dividing the number of times one says "holy shit" by the number of scenes/levels/minutes/whatever.

Anyway, both Mass Effects have a high HSQ, particularly these moments: When you find out the true nature of Sovereign. When you encounter the Rachni. The entirety of the final mission in both the first and second games. The many, many quotes by Shepard and friends that contain 80-proof badassery. Among others.

Another game worth mentioning is L.A. Noire. That game is crazy. I can't think of a particular occurrence, but the overarching plot was very "holy shit" inducing. Learning how messed up the citizens of Los Angeles really are never ceases to give me chills.

Edit:

Tank207 said:
All the Scarecrow sections in Batman: Arkham Asylum(especially the last one).
Ooh, that's a good one. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
this isnt my name said:
Well you startd this thread and took exactly what I was going to say.

The Librarians, dear God they are bullet sponges. It was easy with a volt river, but damn irst time I had just got a fucking shotgun. its not so bad once you learn the path and just run. But damn the first time is harsh.
I found they nort overly challenging (at least on normal). Just fire av few overcharged Hellsing bolts into their head and they go down.

OT: I would say the end level of Halo:CE. ?Driving frantically down the spine of the Pillar Of Autumn as the flood swarm, covenant panic and the ship explodes around you, timer ticking down, made for an epic expeirance on Legendary.

The sigh of relief when I arrived with literally seconds to spare...

EDIT: Ninja'd. Bugger.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
The ending of HL2:Ep2 was the most "WTF HOW CAN THEY DO THIS"-inducing moment ever. Did NOT see that one coming, which just made it even sadder.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Portal Gun + Moon equal HOLY SHIT.

Dragon age 2: Hawke vs Ariekshok (Spelling is incorrect, don't care) in a one on one battle.

Jade Empire: "You remember what I taught you, even the flaws."

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Kasawd said:
The first encounter with the water monster thingy in Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
This. After playing the entirety of the Penumbra series, this water monster confused me so hard. First-person-water-physics-object-manipulation comes up a couple times in Penumbra, and the enemies in Amnesia behave similarly to the ones in Penumbra, but this water monster broke the rules I had established in my mind. The first half I was like "Aah! WTF is that!? I bet that hurts me!" *jumps on debris*. The second half, when I saw there was nothing I could jump on (besides barrels, but you aren't going to stay on those longer than a half second), I was like "Oh god dammi--" *splashing noises* "--Holy shit, ruuuuuuuuun! Aaaaaaaaargh!". This whole exchange being punctuated by my little brother's panicked instruction to run, followed by laughter at my fear.

Oh, and definitely all the snow/ice sections of Penumbra.
"Holy shit, I just smashed some ice with a rock!" (Awesome)
"Holy shit, the ice just bro-- Aaagh--blrblrblrblrblrbl!" (Dead)
"Holy shit, I'm freezing to death!" (Panicking)

And then there's the endings of the first two games...

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Jerubbaal said:
Grappling to a motorcycle, jumping to another motorcycle, then surfing on a car, grappling to another car and stealing it, then surfing on that car, then grappling to a helicopter and hijacking it, then hanging from the bottom of that helicopter to grapple to a jetfighter, hijacking it, and then crashing it into a building while I parachute out to safety a second before impact.

This is all in Just Cause 2.
That game, man. It needs a svaed film/theatre mode similar to Halo 3 onwards. The amount of ridiculous things I have done on that game and survived, or just outright did in the first place.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
COD 4 "All Ghillied Up" and the very start of Mas Effect 2...in Zero G. That was a sad day for me indeed. Still, I got my revenge more than once :D

First exiting the vault in FO3 and at the end of destroying the very first Oblivion gate in Oblivion.

Also honourable mention goes to MGS1 with the Colonel telling you to "Look at the back of the CD case" and Psycho Mantis reading your mind, memory card saves and moving your controller.

In fact I may as well add in all MGS's fourth wall breaking in to the mix, too.

WiMoTj

Feb 13, 2010
Lots of moments in Modern Warfare 2, although I don't know if that counts because it's basically the core of the game.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
stebsy said:
Dragon age origins, walking around while I was level 10 looking for the ashes of andastre on my first play through.... Oooooh what's that bell doing here? I'll ring it.... Holy fuck a fucking high dragon!!!!!
lol i did that to

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
The first one I ever had was playing XenoGears on my brothers PSX, just the first giant robot battle was pretty awesome to me.

As Of late, I finally got over the frustration of playing Prototype (I was spitting acid a couple points in it) then I beat the last boss on my first time facing him. Literally the last second possible too. The words "oh shit" went through my mind in slow motion as I threw a warhead at the thing right as the game started counting "5...4...3...2...BOOM victory!

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
When Kalas betrays the party in Baten Kaitos. I literally shit myself while that happened, turned the game off and was angry for a week. Best plot twist ever.

DyqstARD

Jul 20, 2011
The last moments of Halo: Reach, if you survive long enough the elites come in OVERWHELMING numbers. Eventually, after slaughtering many aliens. You fall.

Holy shi- OW MY SPINE

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Left 4 Dead.

The first time I played online with a group of four people on the hardest difficulty. We slowly crept through the level, backing each other up and doing quite well. Then a Tank dropped over the roof of a van, the horde ran in, and the screams of a hunter could be heard. Everyone panicked, ran, screamed "holy shit", and died. Mostly in that order.