Most memorable opening line in a game

FeraIMuse

Oct 18, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Shinkicker444 said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Let me start by saying welcome to The Escapist. Stay away from the basement, even though those cookies are pretty damned tempting.

I've been looking for a new RTS (just bought Ruse to see if I'd like it) and one of my friends mentioned Homeworld. I actually never played it, I've heard amazing things about it, but in your opinion does it live up to the hype?
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I haven't played it for years (been meaning to reinstall it), but from what I remember the first game definitely did. The second was also great but not quite as good as the first. The story is quite the journey and is beautifully narrated with a great orchestral score backing it up (like the linked video). If you like FPS you should like Homeworld, although adding a 3rd axis to to play with took some getting used too initially. Graphically the game was ahead of its time, so it kind of stands up well even these days (that might be HW2 more then HW1 however). You can also get some interesting mods for the game, like Star Wars.
Hmm, I'll definitely have to look more into that. Thanks.
If you get the opportunity to check out Homeworld, you might also want to try and get your hands on the expansion, Homeworld: Catacylsm (my personal favorite and one of the best RTSs I've ever played. Just loved it.)

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
"We all make mistakes. Some are small. Some are large. But his mistake, born of arrogance, fuelled by pride... was the greatest and most terrible of all."

"Greetings mortal. Are you ready to die?"

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
"Most test subjects do experience some, uh, cognitive deterioration after a few months in suspension. Now, you've been under for quite a lot longer, and its *not* out of the question that you might have a *very* minor case of serious brain damage! But, don't be alarmed, alright? Uh, although if you do feel alarmed, try to hold on to that feeling because that is the proper reaction to being told that you've got brain damage. "-Wheatly, Portal 2.

Seriously, almost every line Wheatly has is almost pure gold.

synulia

Mar 1, 2011
"Wake up Mr. Wayne... We have much to discuss...

My jaw hit the floor at that point and I knew that, from that very first line on (post-Catwoman), this was going to be one of my favourite games of all time."

I'm with you, arguably best game of the year, although I wish I got the game used, because I actually found Catwoman's chapters to be more intrusive than fun. I would've preferred the first thing I see in game to be the blinding white light and Hugo Strange's deep baritone voice rather than a crappy little fight against Two Face's goons. Same goes for the ending, which is super dramatic and left me in stunned silence, and then the game starts up again with a crappy little epilogue!

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
Fallout:
"War, war never changes..."

Mass Effect:
Udina: "Is that really the kind of person we want protecting the galaxy?"
Anderson: "That's the only kind of person who can protect the galaxy."
Udina: "I'll make the call."

Also, in Portal 2 when you meet GlaDOS again :p

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
s0p0g said:
Soviet Heavy said:
s0p0g said:
blop
blup
Also, did you know that Michael Dobson did Lord Crull? All three of them have been involved with Dawn of War at one point or another.
actually, i didn't; though it is pretty darn cool that each and every one of them did some part in DoW; certainly adds to the somewhat conituous feel of the series (damn, it's going on for quite some time now, come to think about it. i'm old... that's cool ^^ )

cookies for the cookie god! crumbs for the crumb throne!

Dreamfiller

May 25, 2011
"Its a good life we live brother."
"The best.
May it never change"
"And may it never change us"

*Sky glitches and reads : Ubisoft presents: Assasin's creed 2*

You know when that happened "This game, is going to be bloody brilliant."

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Assassin's Creed mini conversation if that counts, if not... well, opening line is restrictive, so the old "war... war never changes"

ianeddy44

Aug 17, 2009
The opening scene from StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty always made my hair stand. It's beautifully made.

"Prisoner 626, today you go.. Free."

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
The music at the start of Shadow of the Colossus.
mee-likee!

and

"All I need to know is did we lose them?"
"I think we both know the answer to that."
-Halo: Combat Evolved

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
mental_looney said:
Um hopefully this isn't hidden away but :)

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard. "
That's definitely one of the ones I would pick.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Johnson's spiel on legendary in Halo. He talks about ripping the covenants skulls from their spines and tossing them away laughing. Then all the marines promptly die. Lol

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
"Ahh... the Child of Bhaal has awoken. It is time for more experiments."

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Top favourite: "Hey chief. You okay? You playing corpse or you putting the blinds on the Dusties? I thought you were a deader for sure." but Planescape: Torment has already been mentioned, so...

'It has begun'
'We're too late again, master. All dead.'
'I begin to think the cause of this destruction cannot be other than myself. My dark experiments come to a most wicked end.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNQ5yHR_3rQ

Sacrifice. Awesome.

Mayamellissa

Dec 3, 2011
mental_looney said:
Mayamellissa said:
mental_looney said:
Um hopefully this isn't hidden away but :)

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard. "
What was this from: Doctor Who?
Prince of Persia Sands of time
Okay, that's why I didn't recognize it. Because I have never played that series. You learn something new every day. :)

bruggs

Jul 29, 2011
Am I really the only one who didn't like that bit of dialogue from AC2?

"Life is so great brother! Disaster is not imminent!"
"Certainly not. And if it were, it sure would be a surprise now that we've said how great our lives are!"

Mine would be

"While sliding into unconsciousness I can somehow...I don't know... hear , the voices of the dying."