Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The Silent Hill movie, Hangover Part 2...

... uh... the Rush Hour movies, kind of, I guess.

Oh, Hancock, that's another one.

Hm... did people hate that movie the Rock was in with Stifler? The Rundown? 'Cause if so, definitely put that on the list. I fucking love that movie.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Most recently, I'd say 'Skyline'.

Every criticism of it seems to be from people who don't like that humanity got absolutely buttraped.

There was no dashing hero sacrificing himself to save the world (despite his miraculous survival of course), there was no tough chick blasting the crap out of aliens with her amazing newfound automatic weapons expertise, there was no IT geek cracking the alien communications and infecting them with 386-era viruses, and there was no quirky comical extra (despite the presence of Turk from Scrubs!) who kept us from thinking 'holy shit the entire human species is *fucked*' due to their lovable quips.

It was hopeless - they tried everything they could. The best weapons we had went up against the aliens, everything was tried.

To no avail.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Syndarr said:
The Fifth Element! I can't believe Fifth Element is even on any list of bad movies anywhere; it's one of my favorite movies of all time. XD
Wait, what? I only ever hear praise for that movie o_O it's a "cult classic", but it's a big damn cult, from what I understand. Who ever put it on a bad movies list?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
uzo said:

Every criticism of it seems to be from people who don't like that humanity got absolutely buttraped.

There was no dashing hero sacrificing himself to save the world (despite his miraculous survival of course), there was no tough chick blasting the crap out of aliens with her amazing newfound automatic weapons expertise, there was no IT geek cracking the alien communications and infecting them with 386-era viruses, and there was no quirky comical extra (despite the presence of Turk from Scrubs!) who kept us from thinking 'holy shit the entire human species is *fucked*' due to their lovable quips.

It was hopeless - they tried everything they could. The best weapons we had went up against the aliens, everything was tried.

To no avail.
I feel as though I need to see that now.

MultiElford

Oct 22, 2011
I don't watch a lot of movies but one of my favorite ones is actually League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
I heard that it is based off a graphic novel but I never got the chance to read i).

While I loved every second of it, my friends (and many critics, apparently) hated it.

aegix drakan said:
The first tomb Raider movie.

It was fun to watch! And they got laura Croft pretty well too. And yet everyone brings it up as an argument for "why videogame movies can never ever ever work!". >_>

Now, the SECOND one....*vomit* I hated the second one.
...I liked both of them... Is that bad...?

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I'll be the billionth person to say Sucker Punch. I didn't see what was wrong with that film.

Human Shield

Oct 23, 2008
Pebkio said:
I'll make a list here:

No wait... down here:

Super Mario Brothers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the live-action one from the 90s)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... um... 2
Hook
Waterworld

Wow... I seem to be all about the 90s here. Just a few things though: I liked Hudson Hawk but no one told me it was supposed to be bad. I didn't not enjoy Suckerpunch but I still can't decide if I ultimately liked it, is that weird?
Hook is a great movie, how could anyone say otherwise?

Human Shield

Oct 23, 2008
uzo said:

To no avail.
Yeah I really did not like Skyline, and not because humanity got raped just because I found it meaningless. I didn't care enough about the characters to care whether they lived or died, and that was pretty much the whole movie, them trying not to get killed or captured and
they all get killed or captured.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Diamond Dogs. One of Dolph Lundgren's newer films. Most people seem to have a negative view on the movie, but I though it was great.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
aegix drakan said:
The first tomb Raider movie.

It was fun to watch! And they got laura Croft pretty well too. And yet everyone brings it up as an argument for "why videogame movies can never ever ever work!". >_>

Now, the SECOND one....*vomit* I hated the second one.
I always thought that Mortal Kombat was the one that proved that... Ironically I have the same sentiments towards the second MK film.

Though, I probably should go back and verify that the choreography is as good as I recall it being.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
yogibbear said:
Thespian said:
Sucker Punch
The Fifth Element
Return of the Jedi
The Village
Lady in the Water
Not sure how you consider some of those "bad" movies...

Return of the Jedi is sitting on 8.3 on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/

Fifth Element: 7.5
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/

Both extremely respectable scores considering anything over an 8 is basically a masterpiece when it comes to IMDB ratings.
I don't know, I once opined that The Fifth Element was the best SciFi film out there, in earshot of my American Film prof, without losing limbs. (He was a bit notorious, and gleeful, about savaging the hell out of people with poor taste in films (or books, I'm told).)

Still, neither of those is what I'd call bad... if that counts for anything.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
I couldn't think off of the top of my head but after reading some posts here I'll agree with the original Street Fighter film, Mortal Kombat, Starship Troopers and Silent Hill.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
antidonkey said:
The one that comes to mind immediately is Waterworld. Seems like damn near everyone hated that movie but I enjoyed it. Not sure why but I did. People still give me grief over it however, I don't really care.
ThePerfectionist said:
In an attempt to add a movie to the pile that hasn't been said already:

Ultraviolet
Aeon Flux

In keeping with those above me:

Sucker Punch
Mortal Kombat (okay, I truly know it's awful, but I love MK too much to care)
Matrix Reloaded (the architect scene is the highlight of the whole fucking series)
Tron Legacy
Green Lantern (I wouldn't actually say I liked it, but it certainly didn't suck as bad as I expected it to)

There's probably a long list of more.
The Mortal Kombat movie is...disliked? Who could do such a thing?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I think many of you are just listing your favourite films.
You're missing the point completely.

Earlier someone listed The Incredibles and Ratattouille.
The Fifth Element has also been mentioned.

The Fifth Element was nominated for an Oscar! It got pretty good reviews from most critics.

Perhaps some crazy homeless bum you met on the street started gibbering that it was a bad movie, but that hardly qualifies.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Every Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Transformers 1-3
Green Lantern
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (American version. Wtf would people think this is bad!?)
Tron Legacy
Terminater Salvation
The Expandables
The first Alien Vs. Predator.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
yogibbear said:
Not sure how you consider some of those "bad" movies...

Return of the Jedi is sitting on 8.3 on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/

Fifth Element: 7.5
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/

Both extremely respectable scores considering anything over an 8 is basically a masterpiece when it comes to IMDB ratings.
Thread title - Movies you are told are bad but you consider good.

Among many Star Wars fans, Return of the Jedi is considered to be the worst of the three, but it's my personal favorite.

A lot of Sci-Fi fans consider Fifth Element to be a terrible film, but I really enjoyed it.

So yeah, I personally don't really care for critic scores. So much of it comes down to taste and conditioning that it's pretty much useless. Film enjoyment can't be quantified. I just listen to what certain reviewers who I generally agree with have to say, I don't care for the numbers or averages that mass opinions are pared down to. In my experience I've often been told those films are bad - Not by everyone, but still.