New Super Smash Bros. Roster Discussion

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Requia said:
Snotnarok said:
Not sure why they decided to use Other: M Samus, I guess they're really trying to convince everyone it wasn't a pile of crap. There's so many better choices. :|
Either we're looking at different Smash Brothers promos, or we have very different ideas of what the Other M suit looked like?

It's the exact same suit with thicker lines and added detail and less snot yellow.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
xPixelatedx said:
Fappy said:
Also, who do you think will join the cast for the first time (both 1st and 3rd party characters)?
Going by what I've seen in this thread and many like it all over the internet, I think people aren't seeing the obvious choice.

-Recently starred in a movie about Video game world's colliding
-Included Nintendo characters
-Nintendo showed great interest in "working" with the Wreck it Ralph team after success of film
-Art style already resembles current smash characters
-Already was an exclusive character for the wiiU version of Sonic Allstar Racing.

Connect the dots people, connect the dots...
Hhhmm, interesting pick. I could see Ralph in the game along with Vanellope Von Schweetz and/or Sergeant Calhoun in the mix. Not too sure on Fix-it Felix Jr. since I dunno how he'll function in the game imo.

Dunno if anyone brought this up but how many characters do you think will be in the new Super Smash Bros game? The last entry had 37 characters in its roster. Think the 3DS/WiiU edition will beat that?

Speaking of media crossovers, this is the first time Mega Man and Pit from Kid Icarus have gotten together since Captain N: the Game Master.

Think Simon Belmont will be a new playable character? Or maybe we'll see....

Kevin Keene aka Captain N

Something to ponder until the next reveal.

BlackFlyme

Dec 27, 2012
Requia said:
undeadsuitor said:
Requia said:
Snotnarok said:
Not sure why they decided to use Other: M Samus, I guess they're really trying to convince everyone it wasn't a pile of crap. There's so many better choices. :|
Either we're looking at different Smash Brothers promos, or we have very different ideas of what the Other M suit looked like?

I don't know, it looks pretty similar to me

but frankly, at least to me, the differences between the suits is so minor it doesn't really matter.
Hmm, the other Other M screens I've seen (not played it) had a much more yellow suit.

Skip to about 2 minutes in, that's where the Other M reference is.

Seems to be some odd choices in the line-up, this time. The villager from Animal Crossing and the trainer from Wii-Fit both seem fairly out of place.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
We really need a Belmont, Ridley would be a logical addition, and what the worlds needs most is Majora's Mask Link(switch between Deku, Zora, and Goron with Down + B, a la Pokemon Trainer)

And for the 'never in a million years' category, put in Banjo-Kazooie and I'll buy it this instant.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Requia said:
Hmm, the other Other M screens I've seen (not played it) had a much more yellow suit.
Yeah, you start the game with just the Power Armor and unlock the Varia suit later on.
Good game. Embarrassingly bad story.
OT
You know what they should do with the clones? Just make them into skins! Resize them to be the same size as the people they're clones of if necessary (Link+Toon Link, Star Fox+Falco+Wolf) You know, like with Wario's 2 different costumes. That way they don't have to get rid of them!

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

3rd Parties are for special cases, and the 3DS is going to limit the overall roster.

Fuck parity.

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
I find it weird that they didn't have Yoshi in the announcement trailer, he is the only character from the original (that didn't need to be unlocked) that didn't appear in the trailer. Maybe he's been replaced by Bowser?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Triforceformer said:
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

3rd Parties are for special cases, and the 3DS is going to limit the overall roster.

Fuck parity.
Hope this news won't cut out possible returns like Sonic. It was great to see him in the last Smash Bros game and I hope Sega will allow him to come back.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Ok, Megaman is no surprise, that Villager from Animal Crossing makes at least some sense (he seems to be Game & Watch 2.0), but the WiiFit trainer is just a downright bizarre addition.

As for possible characters for future Smash Bros games, only ones I could think of right now would be Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) & Chibiterasu (Okamiden, since he'd probably be easier to come up with moves for than Ammy due to his companions.)

Sep 13, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Give us a second Metroid character please!

Metroid is considered one of their big franchises, but Samus is the only playable they have ever had in the games. Mario has heaps, Starfox has a couple, Zelda too and even DK got Diddy in the last one. Heck, Kirby got two more characters in brawl.

Make it happen, please!
Careful what you wish for, it looks like they're using the Other M Samus. Any new metroid characters are going to be from that game.

I'd like to see them have some variety with their fire emblem characters. Rather than just using sword wielding characters go with someone like Soren

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Who will not return: Wolf, Ike, Lucas, Sonic, R.O.B. and Snake. Toon Link may not appear because he's busy conducting the train in one of the new arenas.

Possible newcomers: Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Toad. Hopefully Suda51 still wants Travis Touchdown in a smash game and will campaign to have him put in.

Want but will never happen: Geno, James Bond, Oddjob, Tiger Woods.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The Almighty Aardvark said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Metroid is considered one of their big franchises, but Samus is the only playable they have ever had in the games. Mario has heaps, Starfox has a couple, Zelda too and even DK got Diddy in the last one. Heck, Kirby got two more characters in brawl.

Make it happen, please!
Careful what you wish for, it looks like they're using the Other M Samus. Any new metroid characters are going to be from that game.

I'd like to see them have some variety with their fire emblem characters. Rather than just using sword wielding characters go with someone like Soren
Who says it has to be from Other M (I'd be fine with Anthony if they do come from there.) when they had Toon Link in Brawl, he was a same franchise different game kind of character. A Metroid fan can hope.

SomethingWorse

Sep 10, 2012
I was shocked to see the villager, but in a very good way.

Would have been very sad if Megaman WASN'T in it. I kind of expected it.

The Wii Fit trainer confuses me, but the premise is pretty funny, and might make a cool character. I already like the general sillyness, but I hope something besides humor sets her apart from Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. She looks like a weapon free version of them, and little else.

I'd like another Megaman character unlockable, Zero or X, whichever is fine.

I'd be surprised if Dixie from Donkey Kong doesn't pop up, she'd be a very fun character and she's making a comeback in a new game soon. I just hope she's not overly similar to diddy. They should play up the hair power. Also, guitar solo taunt. plz.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Triforceformer said:

Fuck parity.
Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if they just had Sonic and Mega Man. There are plenty of good Nintendo characters that they could pick from that haven't appeared as playable characters yet.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Fappy said:
Triforceformer said:

Fuck parity.
Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if they just had Sonic and Mega Man. There are plenty of good Nintendo characters that they could pick from that haven't appeared as playable characters yet.
Like Little Mac, Saki from Sin and Punishment, Mike from StarTropics, and so on.

I'm also not bugged by the 3DS version limiting the roster. Better to go for quality rather than bloat, plus I doubt it'll have less character than Brawl. I also think making characters as skins could cut down on cloning. Like have Fox/Falco/Wolf be a skin of each other, the same with Lucas/Ness and you could even do it for Ike/Chrom and Marth/Lucina.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Make it happen, please!

To be fair, as much as I hate Metroid Other M the Varia suit looked really good. It only makes sense for them to take that model and touch it up for the new Smash Bros.

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
Like so many others, I think Simon Belmont is pretty much the best choice for another third party character. Classic NES era, iconic weapons and moves, and a tons of potential for bad-ass music and stages.

As for Nintendo characters, N from Pokemon Black and White is the best character they've had in a long time, and they could do another Pokemon Trainer thing by giving him Reshiram and Zekrom to switch out, considering those two (Zekrom especially) seem to be the favorites of Gen V.

If they're going to give the Zelda games more representation, then at least put in Skull Kid. He's the only Zelda villain other than Ganondorf really worth anything. They'll probably use Girhahim if anything, but I think Skull Kid would just be way cooler. Moon Crash for a final smash anyone?

Waluigi is the worst character Nintendo has ever conceived, but the internet has kind of elevated him into a god of ironic hipster love, so if nothing else he'd be hysterical.

I'm gonna go a little more obscure and say they should use Rawk Hawk from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. He's one of the funniest characters from that game and his macho wrestling style is just begging to be utilized. Plus, the RPGs reallly need some representation.

Now, for the two that should happen, but are pretty much guaranteed to not.

It's a crime that King K. Rool has never made it in once, but considering he's not even the main bad guy of his own series anymore it'll probably not happen unless he shows up in Tropical Freeze as the surprise bad guy.

Finally, Goku should be in it. Just because I'm a huge fanboy. Hell, I'd buy the game if Snake, Yoshi, and Goku were the only three characters.