Non-Americans: How do you view us?

jigilojoe

Mar 4, 2009
Valkyr71 said:
WOW......Im amazed at the short memory of peoples in other countries. How much american blood has been spilled since the 1940's for the liberation of nations in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the middle east. We were asked because we were the only ones who could help or had the power to. When the world asks you to be the cops, or cries upon you to say you have the power therefore you have the responsibility to help dont ***** when we do take action because were not helping your favorite cause. Step up and take charge yourself or sit down and shut up.
What and it wasn't in America's best interest to:
Not let Europe be invaded in WWII, despite the fact that would probably eventually mean the World?
Intervene in Vietnam to stop the spread of communism? (a war which was unjustifiable AND which you lost)
Fight in Iraq and Afghanistan to allow for the free flow of oil/stop the opium trade?
And the rest of the world thanks you for what you've done in Africa, a complete utopia, free from slavery and starvation.

I don't hate America, the ideologies are idiotic and the foundations of the country are wrong, though I still don't hate you. As a Brit, I understand that the world doesn't like Britain, but us Brits are a charming people so we kinda get away with it. But I do hate these types of Americans, the ones who think their shit doesn't stink.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Valkyr71 said:
WOW......Im amazed at the short memory of peoples in other countries. How much american blood has been spilled since the 1940's for the liberation of nations in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the middle east. We were asked because we were the only ones who could help or had the power to. When the world asks you to be the cops, or cries upon you to say you have the power therefore you have the responsibility to help dont ***** when we do take action because were not helping your favorite cause. Step up and take charge yourself or sit down and shut up.
ahem... While I and many others greatly appreciate the sacrifice that America has made towards a free world over the last century, most of the time you were far from doing it alone. I think what pisses off a lot of people is this "'murica saves the day" attitude when we were making sacrifices and risking lives as well but receive little to no credit. The whole "We saved your ass in WW2" argument is a perfect example. Yes, you were there and you were a big help. But you were not there in Stalingrad, where the Nazi advance in the East was halted, and you were not there for the Battle of Britain, where the Nazi advance in the rest was halted. By the time America joined the war in Europe the Nazi's were already on the back foot and even then it's not like we just sat back and let you do all the work. Hell, we (the UK) even helped you guys out against Japan when London was still being bombed by the Nazi's. I'm not completely against you, a lot of the time I agree with you. In my opinion, if the world doesn't like America acting as world policemen it should prove it's capable of policing itself. However, when I come across people who seem to genuinely believe that the USA resolved every major conflict of the last century single handed, it's hard to shake the stereotype of Americans being arrogant.

Back on topic, are we talking about America as a country or Americans as people here?

If as a country: I guess I do like you, there are far worse places out there, but I am frequently frustrated by your media and your politics. I particularly don't like the rose-tinted devotion that surround the ideal of 'The American Dream', despite countless evidence that the dream only works out for people who are born into opportunity, whereas people who genuinely can't 'make it on their own' through no fault of their own, are abandoned by society. However, it would take a lot more than that to make me 'hate' America.

If as a group of citizens: I'm not prepared to judge anyone I don't know, and as for the Americans I do know most of them are decent people so there's no problem. However, I'd like you even more if one of you got rid of Michelle Bachman. That woman is seriously starting to scare me.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
British media doesn't paint a great picture of the states though. We do get a lot of your batshit nuts folks on our news. Mainly your incredibly insane politicians and some of your weird as fuck religious nuts.
Pretty much the same the other way. The american media is still obsessing over the phone hacking thing. I'm not sure its because the media likes to make other countries look bad though.

cartoon 6

Jul 4, 2011
I personally have no opinion about america. well... okay that's not true.

I have both positive and negative visions on America (I won't go and explain wich ones because all of them, both good and, bad have already been mentioned.) I believe that in general the hate of America can be traced back to one stereotype: Americans are ignorant. Now this isn't completely true. And the chances of finding one of those on this forum is small(ughughvalkyreughugh).

But the reason behind all this is american television. Now I won't say American telly sucks. Sure there are some terrible things (I'm looking at you jersey shore). But there are enough american programs is very much enjoy(Daily show). No the problem with american television is that it shows things just from one side. It either looks only at the US itself. Or it shows just one viewpoint. And this is the reason why there are more ignorant people in america then in other countries.

But the hate against America is also fueled by the international range of american shows. You can watch them anywhere you like. in every country. the good stuff and the bad stuff.

I live in the Netherlands(NOT IN HOLLAND!). And I believe I am quite priviliged concerning television. Because I get Dutch, American, British, German, French, Belgian and sometimes even swedish programs. But even here the bulk of it is american. Yes even more the the dutch shows (although that does really help in learning english). From the other countries we only get the good stuff no shit like fox news and jersey shore wich I am sure exist. We for example have "Oh Oh Cherso" wich in general is just a dutch version of jersey shore. But fortunatley most of you guys will never see that.

So what I mean is. We (the rest of the world) see your crap and your art. While from other countries we see only their art.

P.S.: I hate making this kind of post scriptum but it has to be done: Sorry for any mistakes in the spelling or grammer.

EDIT: @jigolojoe: I love the UK. Onlu country I would ever live apart from my beloved Netherlands.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Americans are as equally dickish as everybody else in the entire world.

there are numerous cultural differences that sometimes make me go "lol americans" but they are far to numerous to list and most of them can be summed up by Team America World Police

I think a lot of American people can view themselves criticially, We are all the same at the end of the day.

I have many American friends, the way Americans portray themselves in the media doesn't help but I realise that this is not what every person in America is like.

You do make me laugh sometimes though.

Ignore most people in this thread, people like to think they are better than everyone else, I may poke fun at American cultural traits and tropes but the Brits are no better.

synthesis

Oct 16, 2010
When u say USA u mean the country that europeans stole from the natives and then imported buncha blacks and asians? call it the land of the free when freedom is the last thing you will find, the land of greed would be the right thing to say.

And to judge USA for all the states at once would be like asking whacha think bout em Europe guys, it would be better to ask, whacha think bout England, France, Spain?
But to judge USA by the states is really hard, bcuz most ppl dont rlly know most states.

Texas - Fat and religious nutcases, who like guns and spaceships.
Utah - mormons LOL.
California - GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.
Hawaii - Aloha mhalo!

you get the picture, now if i would have to do that with 46 more states... gah.. nty.

So to make it short...
Jesusland USA, cant say i'm a fan.
Educated USAians are ok, i have said it b4, USA needs a third civil war(seeing as it would be impossible for a peaceful way to solve things for the religious nuts), so the country can split into 2, Jesusland and The American Union.

I also wanna squuuueeeeze in that USA is seen as a very greedy country, and greed is the downfall of many civilizations.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Valkyr71 said:
Never start this sort of talk in front of Canadians. We know it for the bullshit it is.

1) Your multiple wars on terror are not for us, they are for you. You were the one attacked. Not us.

2) You are not asked to be cops. In multiple engagements, the UN asked you NOT to get involved. They asked you NOT to be cops.

3) By the fact you say 'Since the 1940s' implies you think world war II started in the 1940s. Hate to break it to you, you weren't the first North Americans in that party. Canada declared war on September 1, 1939. The US only entered the war AFTER Japan attacked them, and only on the pacific front until 1943 when they joined the European theater. By then Mexico had already declared war on Germany and was in there. US wasn't the first to fight Germany in North America. They were the last

I appreciate you love your military, however, you need to learn military history better before you speak nonsense and propaganda like this.

Which takes me to my opinion on the States.

Your media bombards you with outright lies and mistruths for political gain. You believe propaganda spoonfed to you. Every time someone pipes up as a voice of reason and rationality, you allow the yahoos and morons and intellectually void shout them down. You actually have pockets that entertain creationism is a science. Your social consciousness derides learning and education as 'elitism' and do everything in your power to silence the voices of the rational.

Individually, I like some americans. But your political rhetoric is often hateful and malicious and irrational, and that makes people distrust you.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Valkyr71 said:
WOW......Im amazed at the short memory of peoples in other countries. How much american blood has been spilled since the 1940's for the liberation of nations in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the middle east.
You mean how the US entered a war two years after it had begun, when most of the waring countries were starting to grow tired? Or maybe you also forgot about how the nazis spent A LOT of resources fighting against the soviets (who were also the ones to take Berlin). Or did you mean how you "liberated" the Vietnamese who didn't even want the Americans there, fighting an obvious proxy war against the soviets? OR how you "liberated" countries in the middle east after having installed the same dictator you then had to liberate the country from, and after having supplied talibans with modern weapons, obviously without any thought of the consequences, as long as you could do harm to the communists.

More to the point of the thread; my view of Americans. I do not automatically dislike Americans. If I did, I probably wouldn't spend as much time here as I do. But in general, when I think of America, I think of a country that calls itself "the land of the free", yet lets itself be ruled by a book written two millenniums ago. I think of a country that seems to have some illusion that the rest of the world wants them to be their babysitter. In short: I think of it as a country that thinks too much in short-term.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
....poorly really:
self-rightious, superstisous, egotistical, biased, naive and FAT!

You can blame the rightwing biblethumpers and FOX-news for the most part on that btw.

edit: there used to be a ray of hope:

unfortunatly he's dead

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Sjakie said:
....poorly really:
self-rightious, superstisous, egotistical, biased, naive and FAT!

You can blame the rightwing biblethumpers and FOX-news for the most part on that btw.
Wait... So you're taking the worst parts of our country as the representation?

Ummm... Wow...

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
Valkyr71 said:
I'm an American, born and raised, so please, don't speak for us.

I, for one, am pretty much ashamed of what my country's become. The Tea Party and the Westborow Baptist Church, Sarah Palin and Glen Beck... no wonder the world hates us. Sometimes I hate us. I have to apologize for being liberal, as though we're in the wrong for supporting things like equal rights for women and homosexuals, and because I think the right to chose belongs to the individual, not the state. I have to pussy-foot around the fact that I'm a Deist with no religious affiliation because not loving Christ means I'm going to hell. And because of this apologetic, shamefaced behavior, most of us with common sense don't vote, or at least enough of us don't compared to the bat-shit conservatives who love guns and hate fags.

And I'm sick of it. Bone weary sick of it and the news makes me want to hide under the covers, because it seems like there is nothing we can do to change the status quo.

And since I don't sing God Bless American daily, because I don't have an American Flag sticker on my car, because I'm a 'dirty hippie liberal' I'm what America should be ashamed of. I'll be proud of my country when it does something to be PROUD of. I thought finally electing a black man as President, especially one as smart and qualified as Obama is would count, but no. We shit all over that too, calling him a secret Muslim and demanding his birth certificate. Oh, and also demanding he fix all the ass raping of the economy that occurred during the Bush era, and that he do so yesterday.

We can no longer be proud of over throwing the Nazis. It was too long ago, and we've used up all the good will in a cock fight with Russia followed by knocking over the sand castles in Vietnam and Iraq.

Perhaps things will change, but it's going to take time and effort, and I, at 24, feel too old and jaded to do anything. How can you fight the ignorance and hate of people like Palin and Beck? Honestly, someone please tell me, because I have no idea.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
I think America is the same as any other country. It has it's decent folk and it has it's dicks. You just find that the dicks in America tend to be twice as loud as the dicks anywhere else. It's a shame but thats how it goes.
Quoted For Truth.

When I was on holiday in Yorkshire this year, there was an American family sitting not far from me on my train. They were literally the nicest sounding people I had seen all day. They just seemed really down to earth and happy. But it is true - every country has its good and bad people. Fox News and the Westboro Baptist Church spring to mind as hubs of contempt...

Here in Scotland it's the same. Most of us are really pretty nice people, but you do still get the fucksticks who get drunk and hit each other in the chin until one of them falls down. It's just that we use girders here instead of our fists!

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
I have a lot of issues with the USA.
-Disregarding ANY laws if it serves their purpose (patriots act)
-Still believing that regualations of the market and health-care are communistic and evil (wtf?)
-Weapons laws
-Death penalty
-Christian fanatics
-Arrogance
-Amercian dream --> it's a dream because you must be dreaming to believe that would work. Those stories of success are so special because they never happen.
-Disregard of enviorment
-Not enough critical thinking

To be fair here are many critical, progressive people in the USA, the problem is that the morons are louder (and were able elect Bush president). The list above is just what annoies me, I don't say that every American thinks that way! I think it differs strongly if you compare differend states and country to city.

Apprentice1994

Aug 17, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Apprentice1994 said:
Not bashing the states here, but if you want really nice people, come and join us up in Canada sometime. Preferably Vancouver or Edmonton.
My wife has her heart set on going to Canada at some point. She even mentioned moving there and we've never been.

All that was sparked by one picture she saw. We were looking at holiday places for when she has some time off and she found this picture....

She's had her heart set on that since.
What the heck? I never said that. Who are you quoting?

Valkyr71

Jul 2, 2011
DracoSuave said:
Valkyr71 said:
Never start this sort of talk in front of Canadians. We know it for the bullshit it is.

1) Your multiple wars on terror are not for us, they are for you. You were the one attacked. Not us.

2) You are not asked to be cops. In multiple engagements, the UN asked you NOT to get involved. They asked you NOT to be cops.

3) By the fact you say 'Since the 1940s' implies you think world war II started in the 1940s. Hate to break it to you, you weren't the first North Americans in that party. Canada declared war on September 1, 1939. The US only entered the war AFTER Japan attacked them, and only on the pacific front until 1943 when they joined the European theater. By then Mexico had already declared war on Germany and was in there. US wasn't the first to fight Germany in North America. They were the last

I appreciate you love your military, however, you need to learn military history better before you speak nonsense and propaganda like this.

Which takes me to my opinion on the States.

Your media bombards you with outright lies and mistruths for political gain. You believe propaganda spoonfed to you. Every time someone pipes up as a voice of reason and rationality, you allow the yahoos and morons and intellectually void shout them down. You actually have pockets that entertain creationism is a science. Your social consciousness derides learning and education as 'elitism' and do everything in your power to silence the voices of the rational.

Individually, I like some americans. But your political rhetoric is often hateful and malicious and irrational, and that makes people distrust you.

Now who needs to read a history Book. The United states declared war on japan DEC 8th 1941 Germany and Italy on DEC 11 1941 and Jun 5th 1942 on Bulgaria, Romania, and Hungary.

Mexico declared war on Germany on 22 May 1942 after German submarines attacked Mexican oil tankers, Potrero del Llano and the Faja de Oro; tankers that were transporting crude oil to the United States. These attacks prompted President Manuel Ávila Camacho to declare war on the Axis powers.

The US Fought in North africa starting direct military assistance in North Africa on 11 May 1942 along side good ole monty. This is where the rivalry between patton and monty was born.

So anything else you say tp me after this i have trouble reading as your "truths" are very skewed. These are all facts please check them and then get back to me

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
Also, I personally think the Irish/Scottish are more charming than the Brits :p
Britain=england+wales+scotland so mainland uk if you will
You are referring to the english.

Not trying to be a smartass btw, it is confusing to anyone who isn't from there.