[Nostalgia Warning] Games and/or series you want brought back/to die.

tamla

Jul 18, 2008
Was thinking Road Rash as well - a la Carmageddon on bikes. Loved the PC version, was good to see it in some kind of 3D-ish glory.

Someone else has mentioned Monkey Island, good choice

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
ravens_nest said:
Neverhoodian said:
I would give anything to see a new game in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series. No other Star Wars flight game even comes close to its greatness. Heck, just getting a re-release with modern day graphics would be a dream come true.
Did you not play X-wing Alliance then? - Close but no cigar.
Actually I do own X-Wing Alliance. It's awesome, definitely my second favorite in the series after Tie Fighter.

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
Ranooth said:
As most people already know i would sell my kidney for Dungeon Keeper to come back. Not as that friggin' chinese MMO, but as a proper, awesomely evil RTS.
Total agreement.

Also, I'd love to see more Thief games. I've played II and Deadly Shadows and loved both. Sadly it seems that all developers who've touched it have had to turn the key for good, so perhaps there just is bad luck in the series. Beats me.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
I want evil genius back and tomb raider and the sims can die slow,horrible deaths, it will please me,

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
EquinoxETO said:
i love zelda, but i think its time for it to be lovingly shot in the head :'( i hate the cartoon zelda, rather than the actual thing. remember ocarine of time? you could get a cut off somebodies nose, they were all so pointy!
By cartoon Zelda, I'm assuming you mean Wind Waker, and by "hate" you must mean "too afraid to admit how awesome it looks." Or you're some kind of graphics whore that can't cope with anything less gray looking than Gears of War.

It doesn't matter how a game looks if it's controls, mechanics, and game play are solid and entertaining.

GDW said:
AnAutisticDog said:
Is Killer Instinct Gold the one for the N64? If so, I never really played that one. I just played the SNES version.
It was really just a glorified port of the SNES one, but it was fuckin' amazing.
No, the SNES version a port of the real Arcade game. KI Gold was the home port of Killer Instinct 2 from the Arcades with extra modes and features.

With that said, I now will name the franchises I would like to see rebooted, but only if done right (That means not letting teams like Secret Level make it).

1. Skate or Die -
A timeless classic and often forgotten. Used to play this on Commodore 64 and later, the NES port. It also got a sequel on the NES and a "Ski or Die" spin-off. I think it's time for Skate or Die 3 to show up and put these new Skater games in their place.

2. Streets of Rage -
Streets of Rage 4 was almost created several times and always shut down for one or more reasons. This was one of the best Beat'em Up titles of the 16-bit era.

3. Golden Axe -
Beast Rider should be considered non-canon for as bad as it was. That's what happens when you let Secret Level touch a revered and classic franchise.

4. Gauntlet -
Seven Sorrows was pure rubbish and hardly worthy of the Gauntlet name. Dark Legacy, while verging on the slapstick side, was the last proper Gauntlet title and I think the series needs a reboot in this vein. Hopefully Midway can get their crap in order and recognize it as a major title for the company.

5. Pit Fighter -
A late-80s brawler from the defunct Atari Games Inc. It was the first style of the genre to use digitized actors as the game sprites and was addictive & fun. A sequel was in the works and was later canned for whatever reason. I'd love to see anyone pick up this property and really give it the sequel or reboot it deserves.

6. Great Giana Sisters -
The best of the 8-bit Super Mario Bros. clones back on the C64 and Amiga! It was obviously pulled from shelves for its similarity to the more popular franchise but was in many ways a superior platformer for the day. I can remember one of the box designs having in graffiti on it "The brothers are history!" Such great marketing. Apparently though the current holders of the IP are actually re-releasing it on the DS this year with updated graphics. Can't wait!

7. Killer Instinct -
Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the day Rare breaks out the KI property again. Wikipedia says this about it: "On November 28, 2008, Mark Betteridge announced that they 'may' make another Killer Instinct. On February 5th 2009, Microsoft's manager said they have 'two new titles to be announced' and one of them is based on a popular fighting franchise and the other one is an action/adventure game." Time will tell if we will see Killer Instinct reborn on the 360. It could stand to definitely shift to more M-rated gameplay for not being under the Nintendo banner.

8. Shadowrun -
The IP is currently owned by Microsoft through their purchase of FASA Interactive. The FPS Shadowrun was an utter joke. I don't think I've ever been more insulted by this game's lack of RPG elements. We definitely need a REAL Shadowrun game and, personally, I'd love to see it in the vain of Neverwinter Nights 2, game mechanics-wise.

9. Zaxxon -
If you're old enough to remember this SEGA-made isometric arcade shooter then welcome to my world. It could definitely make a come-back were it made in the style of Starfox or Rogue Squadron.

10. Gemfire -
An old Strategy game by Koei on DOS, Genesis, NES, and SNES. It was like Romance of the Three Kingdoms except high-fantasy themed. If they can remake Nobunaga's Ambition, they can remake this. My best friend and I played this for HOURS on end.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
Maddenfreak said:
call me crazy, but I would not be too beat up about it if all of Nintendo never existed
Obviously... because they wouldn't exist so you would never know about them?

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Maddenfreak said:
call me crazy, but I would not be too beat up about it if all of Nintendo never existed
Okay. And in the situation that Nintendo never existed, the great videogame crash of 1983 would have never been turned around because of Atari flooding the market with garbage titles. The market would be set back several years and we wouldn't have the level of hardware we have today. Or we'd be playing the "Colecovision 9" & "Atari 26 Million."

And I can assume by your screen name that you love *jock voice* FOOTBAWWLLLL!!! Chances also are that the interest in the quality of titles on the NES would have never prompted the creation of the Madden series for DOS way back in 1988 and you wouldn't have your precious FOOTBAWWWLLLL video game franchise. Of course, even the existence of the Madden titles are irrelevant because the best football video game ever, Tecmo Bowl, was already made.

GehttoGamer

Mar 6, 2009
Sup everyone long time stalker on these forums but i had to create an account just for this topic

Silent Bomber from the PS1 if you havent played that game shame on you one of the best games EVER and very underrated and it had killer multiplayer it had a great story and tight controls check it out

another game that needs to come back is Syphon filter but i mean some thing that can give that Series Justice! every syphon game after the second one was pure crap those games were awsome as far as 3rd person shooters go

And For the love of all that is good make a good starfox game? plz! no rpg bullcrap i mean space arcade shooter brought to the 21st century! i mean when starfox first came out it was a revolution and with the technology now we could be doin some kick arse barrel rolls!

oh and Killer Instinct was already metioned and that game was sick! i mean who doesnt remember their first CCCCCCCOMBO BREAKER!

almost forgot Vagrant story for the PS1 a very underated but deep awsome RPG

stuff that needs to die....
Pokemon
Halo(i loved it once)
Sonic plz let it have some dignity left people it was cool on the sega
Mortal Kombat JUST DIE! or make another subzero game

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Series to come back:
Jet Set Radio- multiplatform, so that everyone can enjoy it. Don't just give it to Nintendo, because I want it too.
House of the Dead- What happened to the console port of House of the Dead 4? No I don't wanna play Overkill. Well, Ok, I do, but I'd rather play HotD4
Nights into Dreams- Surely even Sega could surprise us with a beautifully rendered multi platform Nights sequel which is deserving of the name *glares at the recent Wii-make*
Oddworld- i loved Abes Oddysey, Exodus, Munchs Oddysey and Strangers Wrath. Please Sir, can I have some more?
Max Payne- Come on Rockstar, drop the DLC crap for GTA IV and give us a real mans game. (BTW, whilst trying to see if Max Payne was indeed by Rockstar, my gaming collection fell on me and gave me something of an injury.
Deus Ex- Hey I liked Invisible War.

That should die:
Erm... none, because every game out there probably gives someone pleasure. Oh wait...
All Mario games that are not platforming or Mario Kart Mario Golf, Football, Tennis and and Smash bros can all fuck off! The first ones on N64 were fine and dandy as a novelty, but now the spinoffs of the franchises have become franchises of their own! Make new characters for Golf and Football games. Surely you can come up with some loveable footballer if your such a fucking genius Mr Miyamoto. Most overrated man ever. Sure he was good, but now he's just senile!

Kai XIII

Mar 6, 2009
Killer Instinct, Super Mario RPG2 (a real one), and another Chrono game.

I don't know that I really want any series to 'die' persay, but there are some that I'd like to see revamped and done better.

And also, i would like to see some games NEVER touched again or modded in any way. Just ported or something.

Game developers everywhere, LISTEN: Leave Ikaruga the FUCK alone.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
robinkom said:
EquinoxETO said:
i love zelda, but i think its time for it to be lovingly shot in the head :'( i hate the cartoon zelda, rather than the actual thing. remember ocarine of time? you could get a cut off somebodies nose, they were all so pointy!
By cartoon Zelda, I'm assuming you mean Wind Waker, and by "hate" you must mean "too afraid to admit how awesome it looks." Or you're some kind of graphics whore that can't cope with anything less gray looking than Gears of War.
wow detail
i had to delete most of the quote...
no im not a graphics whore although i do appreciate the mountains in shadow of the colosus *sigh* sweet
thing is i cant take the little wind waker people seriously, i mean theyre midgets! i have nothing against midgets, but :D
yeah i suppose hate was a bit strong. sorry!

Shath

Mar 6, 2009
I want Hello Kitty Online to die now...

And i want the Halo series to never end.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
I want another LAPD: Future Cop on PS1.
I fucking loved that game, remake that for the PS3.

And I think the Elder Scrolls should die, Oblivion wasnt half as good as the previous ones