Notch Tweaking Minecraft's Endermen

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
darkstone said:
Hopefully he'll also gives them their own unique sound, rather than the zombie sound they have at the moment.
They should let out a screeching sound...then they will be the scariest thing ever...

OT: Haven't encountered one yet, and i hope i don't. Just that image creeps me out...

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
I always thought the idea of them making holes in your house was brilliant, so you'd have an even better reason to be afraid at night.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
So far, everytime I've heard journalists talk about Endermen, they have never mentioned Slenderman, which obviosly is the insipiration for this. I find this odd, since Slendy is a pretty big guy on the internetz. Oh well. I find this beyond cool.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
fenrizz said:
I'd rather he fix the bug that allows monsters to spawn on top of me when I try to sleep first.

But I gotta say I didn't really mind them, brought an extra sense of danger to the game.
This has probably been addressed, but monsters spawn on you if there is some vulnerability in your house, or if a torch is right above your bed, or something.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
block removal wasn't a bad idea, just an under-developed idea. i mean, they grab a block and do what? put it somewhere else. a bit simple really, how about they eat blocks and then you have to kill it to get it back.

or maybe even have them build a totem and then move one to build another one somewhere else, that would give them some character to them.

EDIT:
binnsyboy said:
fenrizz said:
I'd rather he fix the bug that allows monsters to spawn on top of me when I try to sleep first.

But I gotta say I didn't really mind them, brought an extra sense of danger to the game.
This has probably been addressed, but monsters spawn on you if there is some vulnerability in your house, or if a torch is right above your bed, or something.
it hasn't been addressed. the reason it happens is that the if the bed is placed where there is no light in the radius of two blocks then monsters will spawn.

for example if you build you home but then place you bed against the wall and the wall is one block thick and the block outside is dark/empty then it means that the bed is vulnerable dispite the player having four solid walls made of glowstone.

Doubler

Mar 29, 2011
Endermen are only really a threat if you built a really shoddy home for yourself. They don't move enough blocks for that ability to be dangerous right now.

What it is, though, is really bloody annoying to come out in the morning and see tree trunks and leaf blocks strewn around and the lakebed collapsed because an enderman took a block of sand. You end up spending half the day fixing random stuff if you care what your world looks like.
If their ability had to remain I'd make it so they could only move player-placed blocks.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Never, ever had a problem with the 'Entlemen. I have never seen them pick up anything from my houses and they're so laughably easy to kill.

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
Having the ability to move blocks was a shit idea from the start. Creepers can destroy your home, but only if you lead them to it and let them get close enough to explode. You don't come home to find a huge hole in your wall left by a creeper. Endermen though, they break your home when you aren't even there. You have no control over it, which discourages you from building anything that you don't want wrecked.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Those things look like Father/Benedict Uno from Codename: Kids Next Door.

hey! there's an idea, how would it sound if the Endermen had the power to burst into flames?

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
Gah! They don't need NERFING they need BUFFING! I can take them out easily by either drawing them into water, shooting them with about 2 arrows, or just whacking them a bit with an iron or better sword. Maybe they should PLACE blocks, like enderblocks, or make blocks they touch have a coating which hurts you instead of picking those blocks up and basically being uncontrollable griefers. They need to have a lot more health though.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
But that's what makes them fun! It's not hard to combat, just add a moat of a few layers of wall. It's no fun if it's too easy!

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
The only problem with the Endermen is that they don't drop the block on death. How hard could it be to fix that?

Captcha: Name= yeticat

P.S.- Yeticat? Is that a pet for a yeti or is it a different species of yeti?

Funcakes

Jul 17, 2011
Is the damage they do really that extensive? I didn't play much, but, they seemed pretty benign. If anything I felt they were underpowered.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I've been playing 1.8 single player for about 15 hours so far, and have only seen one block taken out of my house by endermen. Other than that I've just seen the occasional tree missing a block. I don't think it was much of an issue. I had far more of my structures damaged by creepers than by endermen in that time.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
It frustrates me to see people trivializing this issue by saying things like "Why don't you play on peaceful!". That's missing the point, because this isn't a difficulty issue, it's an aesthetics one. The mechanic doesn't effectively work as intended to increase difficulty.

The idea of an Enderman breaching the wall of your sanctuary to let hostile mobs in is nice and all, but how often does that actually happen? That implies they have the intelligence to actually make a hole that something can get through. They don't. The reality is that they can only achieve this through dumb luck. They don't actively make an accessible hole, they just break random shit. Typically, this is annoying and unsightly, but rarely dangerous.

Does having to make daily repairs to patch up such ugly but otherwise inconsequential vandalism make the game harder? No, just more frustrating. And no, Creepers can not be compared. When a Creeper explodes, it does so in your presence, because you failed to prevent that (therein lies the challenge), and you can repair the damage because you know what was damaged, you saw it take place. Endermen are far more annoying because they vandalize things even when you're not around to know about it. They could only be compared to Creepers if Creepers exploded randomly when they're nowhere near you, leaving the landscape looking like it'd been hit by an artillery barrage by morning.

And it's not just my stuff I'm concerned about. Endermen's destructiveness extends to the natural world. They spoil the unspoilt wilderness. Plains look like a pack of prairie dogs got to them (holes everywhere), and forests look like some idiot came through who couldn't be bothered to cut down trees properly.

Pirate Brahm

Jan 9, 2008
I picked the worst update to start building a minecart railroad. Every morning there are holes in my tracks and ender pearls laying around. Mmm hmm.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Knife-28 said:
I actually didn't mind that ability, it just added to their creepiness, say after a long expedition, you return to find your home open to the elements, forcing you to rebuild it, lest you be at the mercy of monsters. It would be like nerfing the creepers ability to explode, because, hey, it does a hell of a lot more damage then the removal of one freaking block.
I think the main problem with the endermen is they completely undermine the point of the game in a way the player can't control. With creepers, they only do things when you're there and interacting with them. And you can build the walls to put distance between you and them. With endermen, they can wreck your stuff while you are not there and not doing anything at all to them. You have no control over what they wreck, in a game where the goal is absolute player control and manipulation of the land. It would be like playing Legos with a guy who will randomly kick whatever you're working on across the room. You can't lock him out or tell him to stop like all the other assholes in the world.

I think this nerf will simply mean they can only move natural blocks, not player-placed blocks. Honestly that's sort of how I expected them to function when the endermen were first announced. It surprised me that Notch did what he did and actually stuck with it through the release of 1.8.