Obesity Discrimination

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
If a person's weight does not interfere in their ability to do their job, or more importantly in my ability to do my job, I generally will not care. Minor inconveniences (like taking my armrest on a plane) irritate me, but I will not lambast someone because of it.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Being overweight in America is as common as it is because healthy stuff is more expensive than crap. As the average median income decreases, people are getting fatter because they can't afford not to be. They can't work it off because exercise is for people with free time.
That being said, I believe that people who CHOOSE to be fat haven't any legs to stand on when they're discriminated against. (And if they keep up with that lifestyle, that statement could become less metaphorical and more literal.)
Of course, I could be a touch biased, I'm a small guy. I hate that instead of equal distribution of space, I have to be crammed in so the guy with the elastic waistband can sit on the bus. Armrests on a plane or in the movie theater? I can't even see them under the people I'm stuck sitting between.
I guess what I'm getting at is, this world is built for people who aren't that big. I mean this literally. For example, buildings in the older parts of New York are small. I honestly don't even know how a fat person would physically be able to reach the bathrooms in some of these places, I had trouble getting to them. Now either we renovate the world so everyone can be more comfortable, or these people conform. One option costs a lot less than the other, just sayin'.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
I used to be fat but then I got in good shape through effort, I have approximately zero sympathy for fat people who don't make an effort to lose weight.
As far as Obese goes then I feel it should be judged considering the medical implications of obesity which goes on to affect the NHS so it could be argued that it's costing the taxpayer.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Suave Charlie said:
I used to be fat but then I got in good shape through effort, I have approximately zero sympathy for fat people who don't make an effort to lose weight.
ITT: it's impossible for anyone to have done the same thing you did and not reached a socially acceptable weight. Because everyone's bodies work the same, and you can learn everything about a person's habits just by looking at them, right?

As far as Obese goes then I feel it should be judged considering the medical implications of obesity which goes on to affect the NHS so it could be argued that it's costing the taxpayer.
There are no "medical implications" of having a body-mass index above 30 (which is the definition of "obesity"). Body-mass index is a weight-to-height ratio, not a measure of muscle tone, body composition, or cardiovascular health.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
Jeremy Meadows said:
There is fat, then there is obese. There is a coworker of mine who is isn't even in his twenties who is almost 7 tall. But he's also like twice my weight so he's fat. But the person riding around in our store carts whos sides flaps are past the seat of the chairs?....MAN THE HARPOONS!
Except the "stupid medical standards" are the definition of the term. You may draw a distinction; the medical industry doesn't.

I am very uncaring for the obese (actually obese, not the stupid medical standerds) or morbidlly obese. No body gets that big if they are even trying to live right.
Nonsense. Something could have gone awry with their body chemistry.

Also, have you ever considered that some of the people using carts might have some disability that not only would have required the use of the cart even if they weren't fat, but resulted in the weight gain to begin with?

Then again, the "man the harpoons" comment suggests that you wouldn't care one way or the other.
That's why I think the medical definition needs to be a little less strict. Hell by their standerds my dad has just past the line of "obese" even though hes not, nor does he have the problems obese people have.

As I stated there is fat and there is morbidly obese. Something can happen to a person where they would gain weight. They do not gain morbid obese from it. Espcially if they are trying to do whatever they can to not be obese. Your body doens't just explode with fat cells overnight. You have to be activily not doing anything to get that fat. Also if they can waddle they big butts into the store from the parking lot, they can walk through the store just fine.

Heck if I had a obese person have to sit down in the isles every couple of minutes because he wanted to walk to do his shopping instead of riding around I'd give that applause and tell him that that's awesome. You can always tell about people in this case. If they are morbid obese, riding a cart, missing a foot, yet still are grabbing custurd, fried chicken, or whatever why should I have any sympathy for that person. They don't care about themselves. Why should I?

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Jeremy Meadows said:
That's why I think the medical definition needs to be a little less strict. Hell by their standerds my dad has just past the line of "obese" even though hes not, nor does he have the problems obese people have.

As I stated there is fat and there is morbidly obese. Something can happen to a person where they would gain weight. They do not gain morbid obese from it. Espcially if they are trying to do whatever they can to not be obese. Your body doens't just explode with fat cells overnight. You have to be activily not doing anything to get that fat.
First of all: if "obesity," as currently defined, is a flawed concept, what makes you think "morbid obesity" isn't?

And yet, you still keep throwing the concept around as if it means the "candid fatties" on the news, or someone at the grocery store whom you considered disgustingly fat.

Also: aside from the fact that you're still wrong (I believe I mentioned chemical imbalance already) I never said "overnight."

Also if they can waddle they big butts into the store from the parking lot, they can walk through the store just fine.

Heck if I had a obese person have to sit down in the isles every couple of minutes because he wanted to walk to do his shopping instead of riding around I'd give that applause and tell him that that's awesome.

You can always tell about people in this case. If they are morbid obese, riding a cart, missing a foot, yet still are grabbing custurd, fried chicken, or whatever why should I have any sympathy for that person.
I've got a little project for you: For about the next month, pay attention to people at the grocery store. Pay attention to how many people are fat and conforming to your stereotype here, and how many people are only in one category or the other.

The results might surprise you.

They don't care about themselves. Why should I?
Contempt is not indifference. Considering the stereotyping, the dehumanizing comments, and so on...guess which one you're expressing in spades here?

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
I've never really seen anyone discriminate against obese people, I weighed 265 lbs last year (I'm down to 220 and still shrinking :D) But when I was 265 people didn't really make fun of me to much. There are always some assholes that feel the need to bring other people down, but I always ignored them. The biggest problem with being so fat was girls never gave me a chance, that's actually what motivated me to lose all the weight XD

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
isn't[/i]?

And yet, you still keep throwing the concept around as if it means the "candid fatties" on the news, or someone at the grocery store whom you considered disgustingly fat.

Also: aside from the fact that you're still wrong (I believe I mentioned chemical imbalance already) I never said "overnight."
I've got a little project for you: For about the next month, pay attention to people at the grocery store. Pay attention to how many people are fat and conforming to your stereotype here, and how many people are only in one category or the other.

The results might surprise you.

[/quote]Contempt is not indifference. Considering the stereotyping, the dehumanizing comments, and so on...guess which one you're expressing in spades here?[/quote]

I said it was too strict. Not completly flawed. People in medicne or health care will tell me it's like that because as soon as you hit those numbers that's when the medical problems happen or something along those lines. And are you seriously trying to argue that nothing is wrong with morbid obeseisty? I don't use #'s of pounds to decide who has finally crossed over from normal to obese or obese to morbid. You just can tell by looking.

And since I've already been working there over a year I've seen the enough of these people to know the difference between someone who is obese but is either too busy with work, kids, etc to do anything about it. And the morbid obese who need a whip master to get them into shape because there is no excuse for that. Now if I wouldn't get fired for coming up and asking all sorts of personal questions for a surey then yeah I'd take you up on that and have exact results for you.

And I hate what they do, not them as a person. There is a difference. I hate and will rant and spew forth all kinds of stuff about how my best friend/brother is ruining his life and how his completly ingrnoant to it. But does that mean i hate him? Of course not.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Jeremy Meadows said:
I said it was too strict. Not completly flawed. People in medicne or health care will tell me it's like that because as soon as you hit those numbers that's when the medical problems happen or something along those lines.
And this proves that it's "not completely flawed" exactly how?

As I pointed out earlier: yes, the medical industry would be entirely motivated by altruism in a perfect world. Unfortunately, in this one, the diet industry and pharmaceutical companies have a lot of pull. Keeping people worried about their weight is profitable.

And are you seriously trying to argue that nothing is wrong with morbid obeseisty? I don't use #'s of pounds to decide who has finally crossed over from normal to obese or obese to morbid. You just can tell by looking.
Wat.

No. I'm arguing that "morbid obesity" is a meaningless concept.

Yes, it's possible to make educated guesses about someone's overall health based on observation. But let me explain, again: The very concept of "obesity" reduces all of a person's health issues to--and blames them entirely on--their being fat. Or rather, on their being heavy, seeing as it doesn't take body composition into account. (Won't even go into how focusing on extremes/stereotypes is kind of a red herring.)

And since I've already been working there over a year I've seen the enough of these people to know the difference between someone who is obese but is either too busy with work, kids, etc to do anything about it. And the morbid obese who need a whip master to get them into shape because there is no excuse for that. Now if I wouldn't get fired for coming up and asking all sorts of personal questions for a surey then yeah I'd take you up on that and have exact results for you.

And I hate what they do, not them as a person. There is a difference. I hate and will rant and spew forth all kinds of stuff about how my best friend/brother is ruining his life and how his completly ingrnoant to it. But does that mean i hate him? Of course not.
Really, I'm reminded of every time I've heard someone say "I'm not (prejudiced), but..."

I said "observation," not "personal questions." Like it or not, most of us don't pay attention to our surroundings as much as we'd like to think, unless we go out of our way to do so. And we all make snap judgments at times.

You, however, don't even seem to consider that you might be making snap judgments about people you find unsightly. And you not only body-police and fat-shame without a second thought, but...well, the boldfaced part. Not even gonna go there.

All in all, it's pretty clear that for all your talk of loving the sinner and hating the sin, you do hold the "sinners" in contempt.

Please watch this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhTA4xOxCc&list=UUJm5yR1KFcysl_0I3x-iReg&index=1&feature=plcp]. Focus especially on the part between 3:01 and 3:18, but watch the whole thing. You might learn something.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I know I discriminate against the Obese. Don't get me wrong, being a medical student, these people will be the vast majority of the people I see as a practicing physician *cough cough* so the business side of me doesn't mind them. Being fat is probably the only thing worse for you, other than smoking, than chronic stress.

On the other hand I just find it so irresponsible of them - there are so many co-morbidities that go along with being obese that our health care system is literally splintering under the weight of their problems, all puns intended.

In my mind, being obese is such a terrible thing, again not for me as a M.D. 'cause I get to bill your fat ass for being sick, but because it robs resources from the system as a whole. Just go ahead and try and compile the costs of obesity, type-II diabetes, CVD, etc...and not only will you have a publishable paper, you'll have a number so large it'll leave your head spinning.

I dunno, go ahead, call me whatever may come, but seeing it from the providers point of view it's mind boggling that people voluntarily eat the shit they do, and then are surprised when they are discriminated against for being so irresponsible - most people, and states for that matter, don't have a problem discriminating against something that's in all likelihood not as bad for you, smoking.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Marowit said:
I know I discriminate against the Obese. Don't get me wrong, being a medical student, these people will be the vast majority of the people I see as a practicing physician *cough cough* so the business side of me doesn't mind them. Being fat is probably the only thing worse for you, other than smoking, than chronic stress.

On the other hand I just find it so irresponsible of them - there are so many co-morbidities that go along with being obese that our health care system is literally splintering under the weight of their problems, all puns intended.

In my mind, being obese is such a terrible thing, again not for me as a M.D. 'cause I get to bill your fat ass for being sick, but because it robs resources from the system as a whole. Just go ahead and try and compile the costs of obesity, type-II diabetes, CVD, etc...and not only will you have a publishable paper, you'll have a number so large it'll leave your head spinning.

I dunno, go ahead, call me whatever may come, but seeing it from the providers point of view it's mind boggling that people voluntarily eat the shit they do, and then are surprised when they are discriminated against for being so irresponsible - most people, and states for that matter, don't have a problem discriminating against something that's in all likelihood not as bad for you, smoking.
So. As a future doctor, what do you say to the studies [http://www.nutritionj.com/content/10/1/9] put forth by Bacon, et al., then?

Gormech

May 10, 2012
I don't have a problem with 'large' people. I only have issues when they blatantly ignore the fact that their size is possibly an issue. I'm not talking health wise, I'm talking about a narrow hallway and some idiot thinking that they can walk down the middle and be rightly offended if I make light contact trying to get past.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Farseer Lolotea said:
Marowit said:
So. As a future doctor, what do you say to the studies [http://www.nutritionj.com/content/10/1/9] put forth by Bacon, et al.?
I'll read through the article and let you know - my first criticism is it's a review article...those aren't generally the best places to get real data.

2nd is that I'm not encouraging Dieting, as paradoxical as that sounds. I'm talking about not eating a cheese burger from McDs, a 64oz Coke, and fries. As a reference, I'm a med student, and I eat ~4,000cals/day. So I'm pretty sedentary for 8-10hrs a day, but I do workout for 90-120mins most days, and clock in at 6foot/185lbs.

If you eat a salad, a piece of chicken/pork/turkey/red meat you cook yourself, some veggies, and a glass of milk/beer/wine/water, whatever is considered a healthy diet, and are still "obese," then I have no problems with that, and research I've read indicates that you won't either.

I think BMI's are a load of crap.

I know I was overweight most of my H.S./College career due to being an athlete, and am still on the boarder of that BMI designation due to residual-muscle.

That being said, the vast, vaaaaaaaaaaaaast, majority of obese people in the US are not overweight/obese due to those reasons above (natural weight, muscle mass, falsely-imposed-societal-norms)...they are overweight/obese due to eating shit, and mostly high sugar diets, which are starting to look like they are even worse for you than high-fat diets...everything in moderation ppl! That brings up a whole other discussion about the transition from a high-fat, but low volume, diet to a high-volume, low fat (but high sugar) diet which transitioned in around 1980-blah, but I digress...

The dangerous things about studies, similar to the one you linked above, is people then use them as a rational for eating crap. 'Oh, I just am a larger person, so I'm going to eat a 5500Kcal dinner...' No, you sat at a computer most of the day, you should not be eating a bunch of fried crap from Applebee's, and using a study like this to justify you're large-boned-ness...

edit: one of the semi-functional ways to see how a paper was accepted by the broader scientific community is to go to google scholar, and type in the name of the article. Then you can see how many times it was cited. The article above was 42-times. For a similar, other-side-of-the-issue-paper from approximately the same year, it's up over 1000.

I did find their, "Intuitive eating" argument interesting though, as it's how I eat. The problem is when people have been socialized to have their diet intuitively lead them towards fast-food and other terrible things for them. However, I'm not sure how you could reconcile that in research study.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Marowit said:
I'll read through the article and let you know - my first criticism is it's a review article...those aren't generally the best places to get real data.
Last I checked, most of the fat scare is made up of review articles (often with the data cooked to produce the results that the sponsors want to see). And yet, no one questions the validity of those.

2nd is that I'm not encouraging Dieting, as paradoxical as that sounds. I'm talking about not eating a cheese burger from McDs, a 64oz Coke, and fries. As a reference, I'm a med student, and I eat ~4,000cals/day. So I'm pretty sedentary for 8-10hrs a day, but I do workout for 90-120mins most days, and clock in at 6foot/185lbs.

If you eat a salad, a piece of chicken/pork/turkey/red meat you cook yourself, some veggies, and a glass of milk/beer/wine/water, whatever is considered a healthy diet, and are still "obese," then I have no problems with that, and research I've read indicates that you won't either.

I think BMI's are a load of crap.
We're in agreement on that much, then.

But let's not forget that when faced with a patient who registers as "fat," all too many doctors are likely to jump to conclusions about the patient's habits and prescribe weight loss as a cure for all that ails them. And that's usually going to include some sort of highly-restricted and probably unbalanced diet.

I know I was overweight most of my H.S./College career due to being an athlete, and am still on the boarder of that BMI designation due to residual-muscle.

That being said, the vast, vaaaaaaaaaaaaast, majority of obese people in the US are not overweight/obese due to those reasons above (natural weight, muscle mass, falsely-imposed-societal-norms)...they are overweight/obese due to eating shit, and mostly high sugar diets, which are starting to look like they are even worse for you than high-fat diets...everything in moderation ppl! That brings up a whole other discussion about the transition from a high-fat, but low volume, diet to a high-volume, low fat (but high sugar) diet which transitioned in around 1980-blah, but I digress...

The dangerous things about studies, similar to the one you linked above, is people then use them as a rational for eating crap. 'Oh, I just am a larger person, so I'm going to eat a 5500Kcal dinner...' No, you sat at a computer most of the day, you should not be eating a bunch of fried crap from Applebee's, and using a study like this to justify you're large-boned-ness...
As I might have mentioned earlier: I've studied up quite a bit on the matter myself.

Yes, people eat crap. It should be noted, however, that this is especially true of poor people who either can't afford anything that's not crap, or live where decent food is not available [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert].

And not only would I like to see a source on "the vast majority" of fat people being fat because they eat crap (keep in mind that just because "everyone knows" something doesn't necessarily make it accurate, especially if social stigmas[footnote]As far as mainstream culture is concerned, "fat" never just means "fat." It means lazy, dirty, undisciplined, probably not too quick on the uptake, possibly ill-tempered to boot, and all-around disgusting. And this goes double if you're female; after all, being eye candy is still (to some degree) treated as a civic duty for women. [/footnote] are involved), but not everyone who lives on crap is necessarily fat. (It should also be pointed out that weight studies, until fairly recently, focused almost exclusively on the middle class, and the white middle class at that.)

The idea that fat people are somehow unaware or in denial (although it's another of those things that "everyone knows") sounds a bit dubious, considering that there is the aforementioned stigma.[footnote]Hell, even if only Hollywood, Madison Avenue, or my father would call you fat, you're likely to be at least somewhat neurotic about your body, and possibly still subject to that pesky stigma.[/footnote] (See: the high correlation between being fat and being a lifetime dieter.)

And above all? I've still yet to see any proof that the weight-loss-focused approach that's the default is at all superior to the health-at-every-size approach (that is, focused on muscle tone, cardiovascular health, and so on).

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
And this proves that it's "not completely flawed" exactly how?

As I pointed out earlier: yes, the medical industry would be entirely motivated by altruism in a perfect world. Unfortunately, in this one, the diet industry and pharmaceutical companies have a lot of pull. Keeping people worried about their weight is profitable.
Wat.

No. I'm arguing that "morbid obesity" is a meaningless concept.

Yes, it's possible to make educated guesses about someone's overall health based on observation. But let me explain, again: The very concept of "obesity" reduces all of a person's health issues to--and blames them entirely on--their being fat. Or rather, on their being heavy, seeing as it doesn't take body composition into account. (Won't even go into how focusing on extremes/stereotypes is kind of a red herring.)

[/quote]Really, I'm reminded of every time I've heard someone say "I'm not (prejudiced), but..."

I said "observation," not "personal questions." Like it or not, most of us don't pay attention to our surroundings as much as we'd like to think, unless we go out of our way to do so. And we all make snap judgments at times.

You, however, don't even seem to consider that you might be making snap judgments about people you find unsightly. And you not only body-police and fat-shame without a second thought, but...well, the boldfaced part. Not even gonna go there.

All in all, it's pretty clear that for all your talk of loving the sinner and hating the sin, you do hold the "sinners" in contempt.

Please watch this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhTA4xOxCc&list=UUJm5yR1KFcysl_0I3x-iReg&index=1&feature=plcp]. Focus especially on the part between 3:01 and 3:18, but watch the whole thing. You might learn something.[/quote]

Wow that got really annoying to watch. Anyway before I get to that I'll start from the top.
It's not completly flawed because of the FACT that being overweight DOES have health problems. And they only get worse the bigger you are. There is no why to dispute that. If a guy who ways over 300 pounds who doesn't smoke just drops over, what's the number 1 guess what happened? Let me give ya a hint, it's not going to be from smoke inhalation.

And I would love to always think the best of people and think that "oh something horriable happened to them". But that would make me into a gullabe sap, who can used by a little lie. Why do we always associate bums with getting money for alocohol? Because that's what the majority spend it on. Same thing with overweight people. What you call prejudiced I call the majority. Cuz most of the time I'm right. *cuz I spend 8 hours a day or more in the same surroundings. The only thing for me to do is watch people. I see how they act, what they buy, and what they wear every day. So I'm not sort of bigot living in my own little world with my own little friends who look exactly like me.

And as far as the video goes. She was mostly talking about chick who curvey or chubby. Like the pictures she used was not even close to size I am talking about. And I loved how you pointed the time out to try and make it seem like I'm insacure and a bully. When the fact is 1. I f-ing love me and screw off anyone else who doesn't (I've lost a couple people over that). 2. I somehow am prejudiced of fat people when I have many friends who are overweight and 2. Dated women who are larger then me. But the difference is they weren't morbid obese and they were confident in themselves.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Obesity is a lifestyle choice that defies God. End obese marriage! We don't want them spreading their ways to our kids!

...Sorry, the analogue was SO tempting.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Obesity is a lifestyle choice that defies God. End obese marriage! We don't want them spreading their ways to our kids!

That elicited far my laughter from me than it should have. Good on you!

Bedewyr

Oct 25, 2009
Spineyguy said:
What people may not be quite so considerate of is that excess weight is a common side-affect of having better things to do than run laps.
So what are those better things than even doing a modicum amount of exercise for maintenance? Shoving 4K+ calories into the mouth while living a completely sedentary lifestyle of TV, Movies and Video Games?

You can make up excuses all you want but, excess weight usually comes down to 3 issues.

1) Eating Too Much
2) Exercising Too Little
3) Actual medical problems (Diabetes, certain medications cause weight gain, thyroid, glandular)

The problem is people are usually far too willing to grasp at the medical problems rather than face the fact that they eat too much or move too little. Hell even if you love Video games you can play the Kinect for 20-30 minutes a day or Wii Fitness and get some exercise even while playing a Video Game.

IndomitableSam said:
Some people are big because they don't live properly... some just are. Stop the judging.

Everything can be changed now, so why is picking on fat people ok? From what I'm told, it is much easier to afford unhealthy food in the US than healthy. In the north here in Canada, you can get a bag of chips for a couple dollars, but a gallon of milk costs 10. A loaf of bread 6 or 7 dollars. A bag of apples? $20. Not easy to eat well.

Also - have you ever asked someone how they feel after they lose weight? People treat them better and that is the most hurtful thing in the world.
All of this right here is utter horsecrap.

a Gallon of milk is 3.99 if you aren't completely inept and know at all where to shop. A bag of Apples (5lbs) from the grocery store is usally less than 5 dollars. If you find local farmers markets you can get them for half that price. A loaf of bread is not 6 or 7 dollars either. Good lord where do you shop?

I judge smokers. It's disgusting and smells bad, it costs me more in taxes for healthcare, it exposes me to possible second hand smoke which I do not wish to be exposed to.

I also judge some fat people (obese or morbidly obese people). When I see them waddling up to the movie theatre snack stand throwing down a large popcorn smothered in butter, with excess candy and a Litre of Cola. It's disgusting, I will move if they sit near me because many times they smell horrid due to being unable to wash under their folds properly and the bacteria that accumulates smells, and it also costs me more in taxpayer money for their healthcare costs due to them developing Type 2 Diabetes as well as needing more hospital visits and having a much poorer overall health.

When I went away for my professional degree I became depressed. I had moved cities, had to leave behind all my friends and family and I was alone. I gained over 20 lbs from being inactive and drinking a lot. I lost over 30 lbs in 3 months when I got back and was disgusted with what I had become and whenever anyone told me how good I was looking I was feeling great. The more they told me I was looking great the more motivated I was to continue my journey. I love the feeling of being told I look great. Why would you ever feel bad about a compliment? Because it implies you didn't look great before? New Flash, the truth isn't all sunshine and roses. Maybe you're really smart but, ugly. Maybe you're really attractive but, dumb as a rock. Maybe you rolled 20's and are a jack of all trades. Who cares? Take the compliments and use them to motivate yourself.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Jeremy Meadows said:
Wow that got really annoying to watch.
And all of the body-shaming in the guise of concern for public health[footnote]AKA: the root of the whole damn fat panic![/footnote] got annoying long ago. Your point?

Anyway before I get to that I'll start from the top.
It's not completly flawed because of the FACT that being overweight DOES have health problems. And they only get worse the bigger you are. There is no why to dispute that.
BZZT! Wrong.

Yes, it's a foregone conclusion. Never mind that the studies "proving" it have ignored other contributing factors (and that's when the data hasn't been "massaged" to produce the desired results). Therefore, almost no one bothers to dispute it. Especially as long as people's weight woes are such a cash cow.

If a guy who ways over 300 pounds who doesn't smoke just drops over, what's the number 1 guess what happened? Let me give ya a hint, it's not going to be from smoke inhalation.
Of course: That's what "foregone conclusion" means.

And if the autopsy proves that he had a congenital circulatory defect that he never knew about? The cause of death is still likely to say "secondary to obesity."

And I would love to always think the best of people and think that "oh something horriable happened to them". But that would make me into a gullabe sap, who can used by a little lie. Why do we always associate bums with getting money for alocohol? Because that's what the majority spend it on. Same thing with overweight people. What you call prejudiced I call the majority. Cuz most of the time I'm right. *cuz I spend 8 hours a day or more in the same surroundings. The only thing for me to do is watch people. I see how they act, what they buy, and what they wear every day.
Of course always thinking the best of people would be naïve. Are you seriously implying that I hold such a viewpoint?

But being judgmental, and refusing to even so much as acknowledge that you might be misjudging people? That's not much, if at all, better.

So I'm not sort of bigot living in my own little world with my own little friends who look exactly like me.
Mm-hmm. If you say so.

And as far as the video goes. She was mostly talking about chick who curvey or chubby.
[Citation needed.]

Like the pictures she used was not even close to size I am talking about.
Irrelevant. Most of them would still be called "obese" (if not "morbidly obese") by the medical industry, have people jumping to conclusions about their habits, and probably get weight loss prescribed as a cure for all that might ail them.

P.S.: The size you're probably talking about? As I've pointed out several times before: in that case, it's generally symptomatic of some underlying condition. (In before you insist, yet again, that the "underlying condition" just must be behavioral. Because otherwise, how are you gonna keep convincing yourself you've got the moral high ground?)

And I loved how you pointed the time out to try and make it seem like I'm insacure and a bully. When the fact is 1. I f-ing love me and screw off anyone else who doesn't (I've lost a couple people over that). 2. I somehow am prejudiced of fat people when I have many friends who are overweight and 2. Dated women who are larger then me. But the difference is they weren't morbid obese and they were confident in themselves.
Ah, yes: the good old "I have backup" excuse. And a hint of "I didn't mean all of them, just this stereotypical extreme!" while you were at it.

Zachary Amaranth said:

*snerk*

Your grandchildren might be half fat!

(That said, I was...less than impressed...with the eating disorder jokes in that episode.)

Bedewyr said:
All of this right here is utter horsecrap.

a Gallon of milk is 3.99 if you aren't completely inept and know at all where to shop. A bag of Apples (5lbs) from the grocery store is usally less than 5 dollars. If you find local farmers markets you can get them for half that price. A loaf of bread is not 6 or 7 dollars either. Good lord where do you shop?
Congratulations: You don't live in a food desert [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert], have little trouble making ends meet, or both. Your experiences are not representative of everyone's.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Daystar Clarion said:
Save the whales, harpoon a fat chick

[sub]Can't remember where I heard that line but it's freakin' terrible :D[/sub]

Being fat is associated with greed and/or a lack of self control/discipline.
Or glandular probs.

but yeah, all of this.