Obesity Discrimination

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Xiroh86 said:
Do you think that people, or the country in general, discriminate against those who are "obese"?
Technically speaking? Yes. Sociologically speaking? We discriminate against everything.

Being fat is a part of who you are, just like any other habit or lack of habits. People can make various conclusions based on observations of you, you actions, your looks and pretty much anything with carries all kinds of associations with it.

Is it a problem? Only when someone gets butt hurt... I mean... "offended" over it.

You want to be fat? Fine. You have every right to be fat. Just like I have every right to judge you for being fat. Yes, I just said that. I can judge you till the cows come home. And you can judge me and call me an asshole for holding that opinion about you.

Fat is merely a description of someone's physical stature. If they find offense in it, perhaps they should do something about it. Until then, I'm going to continue calling fat people fat people, because that's what they are; fat people.

Fat also means you weigh more, are more prone to various diseases and ailments, lack stamina, tend to smell more (personal observation) and generally cost the health care industry more for regular "maintenance". I don't personally enjoy any of those, so I don't personally enjoy anyone who supports those positions.

Different lifestyle choices pretty much. Learn to deal with the criticisms others throw at you because they disagree; you'll live longer. You might live longer if you dropped a few pounds, but hey, what do I know? Not much!

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
Farseer Lolotea said:
Spineyguy said:
Failed dieters, by definition, fail at dieting. And the basis of dieting is in taking care to eat things that are good for you rather than things that are not.
You don't know much about the typical weight-loss diet, do you? Because you're jumping to the conclusion that they focus on nutritional balance and "eating right." Hell, you seem to be conflating dieting with eating right. And that's not necessarily the case.

Failed dieters, therefore, do indeed lack willpower. But willpower is a relative thing; a reforming drug addict needs more willpower to kick the habit of a lifetime than I do to get off my lazy backside and do some work. A dieter, in turn, needs even more willpower because they have to strike a balance and maintain it.

A lack of willpower is nothing unusual in human beings. I lack the willpower to study hard and get good marks, but I don't feel guilty about it because I know that willpower is just as much a part of what we call 'capability' as anything genetic. The frustration that failed dieters feel is not entirely an 'Oh cruel world, why won't you let me lose weight?!' thing, there is an element of self-criticism in there because they know that it is they who ultimately made the choice to have cake instead of fruit

With food there is an added level of difficulty. A reforming drug addict does not ineed drugs to survive, I do not need to piss about on internet forums instead of writing essays, but everyone needs food, so a dieter cannot possibly go 'cold turkey' (unless such bland things are part of the regime) without damaging their health, even more so than eating too much did.

So the kind of willpower that a failed dieter lacks is not the same as the kind of willpower that a lazy person lacks, it's much harder to come by and sustain.
And by calling dieters "food addicts" and insisting that diets fail because people choose "to have cake instead of fruit," you still show a fundamental lack of understanding. Again, it's fairly clear that you've never dieted, don't know the difference between weight-loss dieting (and what it generally entails) and just eating right, and have never had any degree of body dysphoria.

All in all: all of this putting dropping a diet down to a lack of "willpower" sounds suspiciously like the words of (as they say) that jerk "Ana." Hell, if you--or my Hollywood-pudgy ass, for that matter--picked up the eating habits that are prescribed on weight-loss diets? No one would attribute it to concern about our "health," or call it "willpower," except Ana's willing entourage. Quite the opposite, in fact.
I took great care not to call anyone a food addict, that is why I used my own laziness as an analogy rather than drugs in the end. And

In my early teens I, like many of that age, went through a phase where I gained some weight, though not very much, a stone maybe. I was dissatisfied with the way I looked and the fact that I was slow and clumsy and so by the time I was 15 my confidence was at an all time low. I chose to shape up and so I worked out how many calories I used during an average day based on my body mass and activity level and then devised a simple, flexible eating plan that would regulate my caloric intake. This was not a 'weight loss diet', I didn't read about it in a book and I was not pressured into it by some weird lifestyle guru. I didn't adopt abnormal eating patterns, I merely ate exactly the same food, but less of it. By eating the right number of calories for my activity level I levelled out my weight over the course of a few months and have maintained a BMI that more or less sticks like glue to the 'healthy' range ever since.

A 'weight-loss diet', as you put it, is specifically designed to force the human body to use fat reserves rather than obtaining energy straight from food, so as soon as you complete whatever messed-up, convoluted plan you're on you go back into your old habits and the weight comes back with interest. This is one of the many, many reasons why crash dieting doesn't work.

My method was not a 'weight-loss diet' it was an experiment to see if tailoring my caloric intake to my lifestyle would get me to a weight that was appropriate for my body type and activity level, and it worked.

The phrase 'Failed dieters lack willpower' is scary because it makes me sound like one of those absurd TV lifestyle gurus (I have no idea what an 'Ana' is but it sounds terminal), what I really mean is 'Dieting in the conventional 'special milkshakes' and 'salad for Christmas dinner' sense puts unrealistic and dangerous demands on the willpower of otherwise very average people.' What failed dieters lack is the sort of superhuman determination that it takes to adhere to something as stupid as a fad diet.

Fad or crash dieting is a ridiculous, self-defeating exercise which, when all is said and done, produces mediocre and unsustainable results that damage the self-esteem of the poor sods who get drawn in by its 'quick fix' appeal.

In the majority of cases dieting is a cosmetic solution, and to quote our lord and master Stephen Fry: 'the problem with a cosmetic solution is that one invariably ends up with an cosmetic result, and cosmetic results, as we know from observing rich American women, are ludicrous, embarrassing and horrific.' I don't think that anyone should have to draw self esteem from something as trivial as the way they look, even if, despite the odds stacked against you, you do manage to loose and keep off your excess weight, you will find that the experience has not made you a more likeable or virtuous person, but a thinner one.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Spineyguy said:
I took great care not to call anyone a food addict, that is why I used my own laziness as an analogy rather than drugs in the end.
Well...it seemed like you still at least kinda implied it.

And

In my early teens I, like many of that age, went through a phase where I gained some weight, though not very much, a stone maybe. I was dissatisfied with the way I looked and the fact that I was slow and clumsy and so by the time I was 15 my confidence was at an all time low. I chose to shape up and so I worked out how many calories I used during an average day based on my body mass and activity level and then devised a simple, flexible eating plan that would regulate my caloric intake. This was not a 'weight loss diet', I didn't read about it in a book and I was not pressured into it by some weird lifestyle guru. I didn't adopt abnormal eating patterns, I merely ate exactly the same food, but less of it. By eating the right number of calories for my activity level I levelled out my weight over the course of a few months and have maintained a BMI that more or less sticks like glue to the 'healthy' range ever since.
And that worked for your physiology and situation as a whole. It doesn't necessarily follow that it would work (in the sense of "result in weight loss") for everyone.

A 'weight-loss diet', as you put it, is specifically designed to force the human body to use fat reserves rather than obtaining energy straight from food, so as soon as you complete whatever messed-up, convoluted plan you're on you go back into your old habits and the weight comes back with interest. This is one of the many, many reasons why crash dieting doesn't work.

]My method was not a 'weight-loss diet' it was an experiment to see if tailoring my caloric intake to my lifestyle would get me to a weight that was appropriate for my body type and activity level, and it worked.
And again: that's as much a matter of your individual physiology as anything else.

And not only are weight-loss diets far more common, actively endorsed by the medical field, and sometimes actively conflated with just eating right (despite the fact that they're generally nutritionally imbalanced and, as a result, don't work as intended), but the fact remains that the focus on weight is a flaw in the system.

The phrase 'Failed dieters lack willpower' is scary because it makes me sound like one of those absurd TV lifestyle gurus (I have no idea what an 'Ana' is but it sounds terminal), what I really mean is 'Dieting in the conventional 'special milkshakes' and 'salad for Christmas dinner' sense puts unrealistic and dangerous demands on the willpower of otherwise very average people.' What failed dieters lack is the sort of superhuman determination that it takes to adhere to something as stupid as a fad diet.
"Ana" is a cutesy slang term for anorexia. Or, more often, for adopting behaviors consistent with anorexia in order to lose weight and/or stay at a size 2. That latter category like to berate people for "lack of willpower" if they eat anything.

Fad or crash dieting is a ridiculous, self-defeating exercise which, when all is said and done, produces mediocre and unsustainable results that damage the self-esteem of the poor sods who get drawn in by its 'quick fix' appeal.

In the majority of cases dieting is a cosmetic solution, and to quote our lord and master Stephen Fry: 'the problem with a cosmetic solution is that one invariably ends up with an cosmetic result, and cosmetic results, as we know from observing rich American women, are ludicrous, embarrassing and horrific.' I don't think that anyone should have to draw self esteem from something as trivial as the way they look, even if, despite the odds stacked against you, you do manage to loose and keep off your excess weight, you will find that the experience has not made you a more likeable or virtuous person, but a thinner one.
And that's the result of the focus on weight as the be-all and end-all of health. In this culture, "fat" never just means fat; it means the sins of sloth and gluttony. It means that you can attribute all sorts of bad habits and character flaws to a person, and your judgment is unlikely to be questioned. After all, if they're still fat, they must be doing it wrong somehow. (Replace the neutral pronouns with feminine ones, and our society gets even nastier.)

Ironically, it's probably made people both fatter and less healthy.

Fawxy said:
I don't have a problem with "fat" people. There are a variety of reasons that can happen, many of them legitimate.

I have a distinct problem with the obese, however. There is never a reason to be obese. EAT LESS FOOD.
"Obese" is a body-mass index. That is, a weight to height ratio. No more, no less.

It has nothing to do with a person's actual health, their body composition, or (especially) their habits.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I feel about about myself due to the fact I like to think I don't discriminate against anyone (there's plenty of reasons to hate someone, religion and color shouldn't be involved) however I do think poorly of people who are obese. And I can't help it and I do feel ashamed.

i work in the food industry, specifically a deli for the past 7 years, and I see it a lot and it bothers me. Especially when said people use the words "I need...". I immediately get angry and want to say "No, you don't NEED this 2lbs of ham. You are 200lbs lady, you do not live in a third world country!" (Course that might be my anger due to their poor communication skills as well). To be honest I never used to be this way until I worked first hand with food and with people.

I am 23 years of age and I weigh less than 115lbs, however Im always watching my weight and keeping it strict. It baffles me how others can't manage this. And I know as a psychologist that these things are hard, and there are outside factors, I KNOW this, but it's still difficult to wrap my mind around.

That being said, I never refuse service to someone who is obese or heavyset, and Im never unkind, I treat them like all my other customers and people I know. I do however get angry in my head. /Sigh

James Jamerson

May 16, 2012
SaetonChapelle said:
I feel about about myself due to the fact I like to think I don't discriminate against anyone (there's plenty of reasons to hate someone, religion and color shouldn't be involved) however I do think poorly of people who are obese. And I can't help it and I do feel ashamed.

i work in the food industry, specifically a deli for the past 7 years, and I see it a lot and it bothers me. Especially when said people use the words "I need...". I immediately get angry and want to say "No, you don't NEED this 2lbs of ham. You are 200lbs lady, you do not live in a third world country!" (Course that might be my anger due to their poor communication skills as well). To be honest I never used to be this way until I worked first hand with food and with people.

I am 23 years of age and I weigh less than 115lbs, however Im always watching my weight and keeping it strict. It baffles me how others can't manage this. And I know as a psychologist that these things are hard, and there are outside factors, I KNOW this, but it's still difficult to wrap my mind around.

That being said, I never refuse service to someone who is obese or heavyset, and Im never unkind, I treat them like all my other customers and people I know. I do however get angry in my head. /Sigh
I always knew the small and nerdy were hiding some form of deep-set hatred, but this is scary in a way.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
SaetonChapelle said:

And this, folks, is how one goes about taking a look at oneself and owning up to one's biases--even when it might be more comfortable to nestle within a sense of superiority.

Take notes, people.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
James Jamerson said:
SaetonChapelle said:

I always knew the small and nerdy were hiding some form of deep-set hatred, but this is scary in a way.
I don't think it's really scary, everyone has things that bother them or make them angry. I'm never mean about it and I know deep down it's wrong, and I'm owning up to it. :3 i treat those who are obese the same as any other, and I have quite a few friends who are, in fact, overweight. (Damn you upstate New York and your delicious burgers!)

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
hulksmashley said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
hulksmashley said:
It's not nice to discriminate against anyone for any reason.
I discriminate against rapists, murderers and paedophiles and I'm sure you do too. Or are you opposed to treating them differently--sending them to prison--and would rather they be allowed to roam the community?

Sweeping, absolute statements tend to have glaring flaws such as that.
What you're talking about are felons, and you are legally allowed to discriminate against felons. Whether you should or not is probably something you should decide for yourself. I tend to think that someone who has been convicted and has served their sentence should be given the opportunity to try to live their lives.

And sending someone to prison isn't discrimination. It's consequences of someone's attempts to hurt others.
You're legally allowed to discriminate against anyone, for whatever your personal reasons. It might not be nice, it might now be sweet, but it happens and everyone is entitiled.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
hulksmashley said:
SaetonChapelle said:
hulksmashley said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
hulksmashley said:
It's not nice to discriminate against anyone for any reason.
I discriminate against rapists, murderers and paedophiles and I'm sure you do too. Or are you opposed to treating them differently--sending them to prison--and would rather they be allowed to roam the community?

Sweeping, absolute statements tend to have glaring flaws such as that.
What you're talking about are felons, and you are legally allowed to discriminate against felons. Whether you should or not is probably something you should decide for yourself. I tend to think that someone who has been convicted and has served their sentence should be given the opportunity to try to live their lives.

And sending someone to prison isn't discrimination. It's consequences of someone's attempts to hurt others.
You're legally allowed to discriminate against anyone, for whatever your personal reasons. It might not be nice, it might now be sweet, but it happens and everyone is entitiled.
I actually meant for employment purposes. I'm pretty sure it's illegal for an employer to discriminate against applicants for religion, sexual orientation, etc. but it's legal to discriminate agains felons. I could be wrong on that though.
To be honest I think so too, but Im also not sure. Never had to hire anyone...

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
SaetonChapelle said:
To be honest I think so too, but Im also not sure. Never had to hire anyone...
Yeah, if someone's got a record of the sort that calls their integrity in regards to the job into question. (There are reasons not to hire a convicted embezzler at a bank, for example.)

But if you don't have a rap sheet, and you can dig up sufficient evidence that you were passed over for a job/promotion because of some sort of discrimination? You probably have a case. There are no laws against just being biased, though.

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
Jeremy Meadows said:
Wow that got really annoying to watch.
And all of the body-shaming in the guise of concern for public health[footnote]AKA: the root of the whole damn fat panic![/footnote] got annoying long ago. Your point?

Anyway before I get to that I'll start from the top.
It's not completly flawed because of the FACT that being overweight DOES have health problems. And they only get worse the bigger you are. There is no why to dispute that.
BZZT! Wrong.

Yes, it's a foregone conclusion. Never mind that the studies "proving" it have ignored other contributing factors (and that's when the data hasn't been "massaged" to produce the desired results). Therefore, almost no one bothers to dispute it. Especially as long as people's weight woes are such a cash cow.

If a guy who ways over 300 pounds who doesn't smoke just drops over, what's the number 1 guess what happened? Let me give ya a hint, it's not going to be from smoke inhalation.
Of course: That's what "foregone conclusion" means.

And if the autopsy proves that he had a congenital circulatory defect that he never knew about? The cause of death is still likely to say "secondary to obesity."

And I would love to always think the best of people and think that "oh something horriable happened to them". But that would make me into a gullabe sap, who can used by a little lie. Why do we always associate bums with getting money for alocohol? Because that's what the majority spend it on. Same thing with overweight people. What you call prejudiced I call the majority. Cuz most of the time I'm right. *cuz I spend 8 hours a day or more in the same surroundings. The only thing for me to do is watch people. I see how they act, what they buy, and what they wear every day.
Of course always thinking the best of people would be naïve. Are you seriously implying that I hold such a viewpoint?

But being judgmental, and refusing to even so much as acknowledge that you might be misjudging people? That's not much, if at all, better.

So I'm not sort of bigot living in my own little world with my own little friends who look exactly like me.
Mm-hmm. If you say so.

And as far as the video goes. She was mostly talking about chick who curvey or chubby.
[Citation needed.]

Like the pictures she used was not even close to size I am talking about.
Irrelevant. Most of them would still be called "obese" (if not "morbidly obese") by the medical industry, have people jumping to conclusions about their habits, and probably get weight loss prescribed as a cure for all that might ail them.

P.S.: The size you're probably talking about? As I've pointed out several times before: in that case, it's generally symptomatic of some underlying condition. (In before you insist, yet again, that the "underlying condition" just must be behavioral. Because otherwise, how are you gonna keep convincing yourself you've got the moral high ground?)

And I loved how you pointed the time out to try and make it seem like I'm insacure and a bully. When the fact is 1. I f-ing love me and screw off anyone else who doesn't (I've lost a couple people over that). 2. I somehow am prejudiced of fat people when I have many friends who are overweight and 2. Dated women who are larger then me. But the difference is they weren't morbid obese and they were confident in themselves.
Ah, yes: the good old "I have backup" excuse. And a hint of "I didn't mean all of them, just this stereotypical extreme!" while you were at it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Obesity is a lifestyle choice that defies God. End obese marriage! We don't want them spreading their ways to our kids!

...Sorry, the analogue was SO tempting.
*snerk*

Your grandchildren might be half fat!

(That said, I was...less than impressed...with the eating disorder jokes in that episode.)

Bedewyr said:
All of this right here is utter horsecrap.

a Gallon of milk is 3.99 if you aren't completely inept and know at all where to shop. A bag of Apples (5lbs) from the grocery store is usally less than 5 dollars. If you find local farmers markets you can get them for half that price. A loaf of bread is not 6 or 7 dollars either. Good lord where do you shop?
Congratulations: You don't live in a food desert [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert], have little trouble making ends meet, or both. Your experiences are not representative of everyone's.
Wow. So you are actually saying that being obese has no ill effects on your health and that doctors are wrong. That pretty much proves to me that we have not more conversation to be had. When you can't even look at the facts of obesisty and see someone else's point you just be reasonded with. I can agrue about smokers rights all day, but I would never deny that the facts about health risks associated with smoking or somehow "Bzzt! Wrong".

Oh and just fyi I was reffering to the extereme obese the entire time if you remember. You were the one who was insinuating that I hate everyone overweight. Which I don't.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Jeremy Meadows said:
Wow. So you are actually saying that being obese has no ill effects on your health and that doctors are wrong.
Well, yeah, any doctor who insists that being "obese" is automatically unhealthy is wrong. Because the clinical definition of the term is not what you seem to think it is.

That pretty much proves to me that we have not more conversation to be had.
Clearly, if you're that determined to cling to your biases.

When you can't even look at the facts of obesisty and see someone else's point you just be reasonded with.
Actually, I'm one of the few people here who has actually bothered to look at the facts, as opposed to lapping up the fat-panic party line without a second thought.

I can agrue about smokers rights all day, but I would never deny that the facts about health risks associated with smoking or somehow "Bzzt! Wrong".
Does the phrase "apples and oranges" mean anything to you?

Oh and just fyi I was reffering to the extereme obese the entire time if you remember. You were the one who was insinuating that I hate everyone overweight. Which I don't.
Gonna skip the part where you used still more dehumanizing language there.

Do you actually believe that all of the scaremongering about an "obesity epidemic" is about the quarter-ton dude in an electric cart buying frozen pizzas? No. It's about everyone with a BMI above 30. Which doesn't mean that the media won't include some footage of that guy (or, better yet, a fat woman doing the same thing, because double standards) if they can.

After all, shock value sells. And all the better if they can condition the already fat-phobic public to associate the word "obesity" with a sensationalistic extreme, while they're at it.

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
Well, yeah, any doctor who insists that being "obese" is automatically unhealthy is wrong. Because the clinical definition of the term is not what you seem to think it is.

That pretty much proves to me that we have not more conversation to be had.
Clearly, if you're that determined to cling to your biases.

When you can't even look at the facts of obesisty and see someone else's point you just be reasonded with.
Actually, I'm one of the few people here who has actually bothered to look at the facts, as opposed to lapping up the fat-panic party line without a second thought.

I can agrue about smokers rights all day, but I would never deny that the facts about health risks associated with smoking or somehow "Bzzt! Wrong".
Does the phrase "apples and oranges" mean anything to you?

Gonna skip the part where you used still more dehumanizing language there.

Do you actually believe that all of the scaremongering about an "obesity epidemic" is about the quarter-ton dude in an electric cart buying frozen pizzas? No. It's about everyone with a BMI above 30. Which doesn't mean that the media won't include some footage of that guy (or, better yet, a fat woman doing the same thing, because double standards) if they can.

After all, shock value sells. And all the better if they can condition the already fat-phobic public to associate the word "obesity" with a sensationalistic extreme, while they're at it.
Well then please show me that facts about being overweight suddenly isn't unhealthy for you. Ya know, besides high blood pressure, diabites, and higher risk of stroke or heart attack.

And when it comes to the media and obesity?.... i'll agree with you there. I mean the American media is the only place that can say in the same sentence that the majority of poor families are overweight then turn right around and say that the poor families are starving in America. Didn't you just say they were overweight? Somehow they dont' see that though.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
DevilWithaHalo said:
You want to be fat? Fine. You have every right to be fat. Just like I have every right to judge you for being fat. Yes, I just said that. I can judge you till the cows come home. And you can judge me and call me an asshole for holding that opinion about you.

Fat is merely a description of someone's physical stature. If they find offense in it, perhaps they should do something about it. Until then, I'm going to continue calling fat people fat people, because that's what they are; fat people.
How's that "judging" anyone? I mean, you don't "judge" the grass when you call it green, now do you?

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Jeremy Meadows said:
Well then please show me that facts about being overweight suddenly isn't unhealthy for you.
Suddenly, shmuddenly. And first, you've only got a problem with "extreme obesity," but now you're targeting everyone with a BMI over 25 (the definition of "overweight").

Ya know, besides high blood pressure, diabites, and higher risk of stroke or heart attack.
Read this and be enlightened [http://www.nutritionj.com/content/10/1/9]. Long story short: the modern medical field not only knows more than it wants us to know, but brushes aside facts that don't support their foregone conclusions.

And when it comes to the media and obesity?.... i'll agree with you there. I mean the American media is the only place that can say in the same sentence that the majority of poor families are overweight then turn right around and say that the poor families are starving in America. Didn't you just say they were overweight? Somehow they dont' see that though.
Yes, the stereotype of fat people is that they all overeat. Even if that were true to begin with, it wouldn't rule out various nutrient deficiencies. Capisce?

Vegosiux said:
How's that "judging" anyone? I mean, you don't "judge" the grass when you call it green, now do you?
Because "fat" almost never just means "fat" in this culture. It's usually a jump to conclusions (and not necessarily accurate ones) about someone's habits.

I use it because the conclusion in certain circles (including, it seems, many of the body-acceptance ones) is apparently that it's less contemptuous and dehumanizing than the "O-words." (And then, there's the fact that outside of those circles, it's seen as blunt and direct.)

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
This is MY theory, but our bodies are not supposed to become mammooth size, our bodies want to run and lift heavy things. You WILL be happy when you lift heavy weights because your brain WILL release hormones.

Be however fat you want to be, but you should just know that lifting or running will make you happy in the end.