Obsidian Does it Again

nighthawk55

Sep 9, 2009
the auto-save glitch happened to me as well the second patch from steam fixed it
I've only experienced crashes (the good clean ones) upon quitting

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Rusty Bucket said:
Fumbleumble said:
STOP buying their shit, day one then......

If ANYONE complains about Obsidunce's next game then it's entirely your own fault for buying it.

I'm sick to death of seeing people complain about their games, when it's been obvious for years that all they do is release crap now.... and it all comes as some big surprise??? :Oo WTF??
No one's surprised, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be complaining. Obsidian don't get a free pass for this just because thye do it all the fucking time.
Lol.. you haven't read the rest of my posts, have you. ;)

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Fumbleumble said:
STOP buying their shit, day one then......

If ANYONE complains about Obsidunce's next game then it's entirely your own fault for buying it.

I'm sick to death of seeing people complain about their games, when it's been obvious for years that all they do is release crap now.... and it all comes as some big surprise??? :Oo WTF??
No one's surprised, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be complaining. Obsidian don't get a free pass for this just because thye do it all the fucking time.
Lol.. you haven't read the rest of my posts, have you. ;)
Not at all, no. Simply responding to this one.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Daft Ghosty said:
Casimir_Effect said:
You need to play Mask of the Betrayer, right now. NWN2 was too ambitious like everything Obsidian does. In fact there's an LP of it here http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/NWN2/index.html which will show just how much was left out in the end (the player was very in depth). But MotB was near to perfect and fixed up the engine really well.

The thing I will always love about Obsidian is that they will take risks. Bioware are boring. Great, but boring. Obsidian are like a studio of Peter Molyneuxes. They promise so much that even though they try really hard something will fail in the end. But they put so much love into their games and make them so unique that it's always worth the struggle.
And their excuses will always be a bit false, because I don't they would ever have enough time to make a game exactly how they want it, due to their scope. Blame Atari or LucasArts or Bethesda for releasing it before Obsidian were ready if you like. But I'm sure that, if given another year, there would be just as many problems if not more, because instead of fixing things they were more concentrated on adding new stuff someone thought of while driving to work which sounded cool.

I have a high bug tolerance, so I'll take their approach any day. Also, buying things several months after release means shit gets fixed, yo.
Word. Black Isle / Obsidian have always had a cool way of looking at games. That has always been their problem, as you said, they try to do to much cool stuff, and don't stop to put out a finished product. In Kotor2 case I really liked the game play changes they made to the game. The ending was a little weak, but I think that was from being rushed out. In short they do have good ideas, just no discipline to get it into a game without bugs, in a reasonable manner of time.

That being said the save problem is by far a very big problem in the game. I can take a game crashing, or a quest bugging. I can't take playing two hours and crashing out, and coming back to find my saves have reverted to hours ago. I'm currently hesitant to play any more till I know the save issue has been solved. The time I have to play games these days is very limited so every minute counts.
I completely agree - a bug which screws up your save games is where I would draw the line. I have so little spare time these days that there's lots of games I can't play because they involve so much dicking around. It's a bit of a crap situation where I find myself searching through my collection to find games which will give the most satisfaction in the time I have. So a bug which erases the last _ hours of my life would piss me off monumentally. I tend not to play autosave-only games because of this.

But I rarely buy games when they come out as, being a pc gamer, I expect them to be a bit dodgy upon release (at least from certain studios). Also, I resent the cost of games these days. Unfortunately there are still some games I will support by buying immediately, and one of these will be The Witcher 2. If there is any game on the horizon right now which promises to be bugged to hell and back (going by past studio experience) it's that one.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
It's not just Obsidian, all gamebryo games suffer from the same glitches.
Ah.. but the main thing being said is that Obsidian have screwed up every engine and every project that they've been given so far.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly, Obsidian has had one of the WORST histories when it comes to handling other properties. Hell event their own original game was filled with bugs. Why the hell do publishers insist on giving these assholes work? I understand there are HUGE complexities to RPGs like these, but come on people. 4 BAD GAMES? In a row? Sorry, I don't care how complex the game is in designing it; that's when you gotta say "you're fired" and tell every publisher not to trust them

CptJackRabbit

Mar 5, 2009
Though it really does seem like the higher percentage of complaints are Steam /
PC users. Im not saying limited to, as I know my 360 version has its issues, but the majority complaints come from computer versions.

And yes, I know it isnts Steams fault, or even Bethesda's.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
Before i got the game i read all the reviews and things about glitches, so i was scared to get it. but i got it anyway on my ps3 and have had an almost flawless experience :) just a few framerate problems :)

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Casimir_Effect said:
snip....there are still some games I will support by buying immediately, and one of these will be The Witcher 2. If there is any game on the horizon right now which promises to be bugged to hell and back (going by past studio experience) it's that one.

Yep... W2 is a day one buy for me also..but really?... exepected to be buggy.. :eek:.. I'm kinda surprised by this.. yeah, it certainly did contain bugs on release, like all games, but as far as I can *remember* (not a contradiction, just a querie as to you being sure..)I was on the boards for release and I seem to remember the general consensus being that for a first major release it was remarkably polished...

Might I also recommend Drankensang... the first was excellent, pnp based, and uncompromising (the uk version didn't even need a patch because The German's had 'beta'd' it for us lol..) and the second is due out very early next year (and again it's been well played by the German's so it should be another excellently polished release.)

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Funny.. I haven't had a single bug yet, i've had 1 crash and it sometimes lag a lot when i talk to people.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Imbechile said:
Casimir_Effect said:
Shamus Young said:
After that they released some expansion packs. But they were expansion packs to a broken game with a reprehensible ending, so I didn't play them. Even if the expansion "fixes everything that was wrong with the original game," I didn't feel like rewarding them for their misbehavior.
You need to play Mask of the Betrayer, right now. NWN2 was too ambitious like everything Obsidian does. In fact there's an LP of it here http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/NWN2/index.html which will show just how much was left out in the end (the player was very in depth). But MotB was near to perfect and fixed up the engine really well.

The thing I will always love about Obsidian is that they will take risks. Bioware are boring. Great, but boring. Obsidian are like a studio of Peter Molyneuxes. They promise so much that even though they try really hard something will fail in the end. But they put so much love into their games and make them so unique that it's always worth the struggle.
And their excuses will always be a bit false, because I don't they would ever have enough time to make a game exactly how they want it, due to their scope. Blame Atari or LucasArts or Bethesda for releasing it before Obsidian were ready if you like. But I'm sure that, if given another year, there would be just as many problems if not more, because instead of fixing things they were more concentrated on adding new stuff someone thought of while driving to work which sounded cool.

I have a high bug tolerance, so I'll take their approach any day. Also, buying things several months after release means shit gets fixed, yo.
THANK YOU!
I love KOTOR 2. Yes it wasn't as good as the firts one but it's FAR from bad, and I thought NWN 2 was even better than the first. And Bioware being boring is true. I LOVED every game from Bioware ever since MDK 2 but it seems they are doing almost the same RPG over and over again.

OT:Black isle/Obsidian/Troika always had buggy games and I'm really suprised the haven't fixed the problem that has been with them for like 12 years.
Bar the twist from KOTOR 1 (which I loved) the story and characters were so much more appealing in KOTOR 2. The characters especially because they were so damaged.

But also, my god was KOTOR 2 hard to get in to. Taris was painful, but only took an hour to burn through and did have some good moments. The opening of KOTOR 2 was several hours of hell. Then there was the typical Obsidian part of screwing you over by your gameplay choice. In KOTOR 2, this was when Atton (I think) gets lynched by the Twileck assassin chicks and, if you haven't been levelling with him, gets royally fucked (I got them trapped in a table luckily). In NWN 2, this happens when you get made a knight of Neverwinter and those damn Elite Vampires appear. Good luck dealing with those bastards if you're a sorceror with no anti-undead stuff or a rogue whose sneak attack is now useless.

It's hard for me to say anything bad against Bioware, as I still have much love for the Baldur's Gate series and Jade Empire, while also enjoying the new stuff. But I would love them to try something different with their games. Not just the same characters with all the depth of a crepé or a story with a getting-progressively-crapper twist. For example
after meeting Loghain for the first time, did anyone not think he was going to be an evil bastard?
They must have enough money and security now to take a risk or two. But I can't see Dragon Age 2 doing anything remotely new or risky.

Obsidian I will always love though because KOTOR 2 was so good after a few hours, and NWN 2 was great from Act 2 onwards, and Mask of the Betrayer was near perfect, and from the old days Planescape Torment was perfect. I tried to play Troika's Bloodlines but every time I did the game punished me for not choosing a basher character. That game loved giving you the idea of talking your way out of something, but failed to include the option half the time. And seeing as the stealth was broken as all hell, that was never much of an option either.

Regardless, taking chances is always better than not in this business. It seems to always lead to my favourite games.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Kris015 said:
Funny.. I haven't had a single bug yet, i've had 1 crash and it sometimes lag a lot when i talk to people.
A crash, and lag when you perform an ordinary action....not buggy?.. what do you call it then (mild admittedly.. but hardly non exisitant.)

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Shamus Young said:
A few hours later I forgave the game and came back. I managed to win a $16,000 jackpot at the slot machines. (An exceptionally unlikely spin.) And then the game insta-crashed on me. This was like scratching off a winning lottery ticket and then getting hit by a car. A car driven by Obsidian Entertainment.
I literally burst out laughing at that line. Good show, good show indeed.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Xzi said:
Seems like a lot of people are running into serious bugs with this one. I haven't hit anything beyond some minor graphics glitches.

But then again, I guess it helps to have an ungodly computer which processed everything the game had to offer within ten seconds of loading it.
Lol.. wrong thread mate.. the dick swinging contest is thata way ---->

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Firstly why are people on this thread(and in the official vegas review) blaming the game engine for being buggy, as everyone points out its been out since 2006, bethesda managed to do a good lot of fixing on it and fallout 3 had bugs yeah but nowhere near as bad as oblivion. In that case why has there been a step back in terms of buggyness? ObsidianObsidianObsidianObsidianObsidianObsidianObsidian

And btw I fucking called it months ago.

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
I don't want my $50 back - the game is great so far, it's like Fallout 3 but with sane dialogue, interesting quests and lots of meaningful choices. And it crushed only once in about 10 hours of playtime.

There are rough edges here and there, but I gladly close my eyes on them - they are the minor problems which don't ruin the game, at least if you don't encounter some serious bug.

It's just too damn hard to achieve for New Vegas-like game the level of polish of Mass Effect 2 (which is probably the best RPG in terms of production values). ME2 is very short, super-linear and controllable.
Every movement in the cutscene, smallest detail, camera angle - it's hard and expensive, but possible for (relatively) small RPG with little to no consequences for the game world (I love Mass Effect 2, but most of decisions just don't cause noticeable changes - world always stays the same. And quests are scarce).

On the other hand we've got New Vegas with open world, lots of NPCs (most of which don't just stand in one place for ages, awaiting player's visit - they simulate simple sleep-work-eat cycle or even roam the surroundings), many quests with several solutions which affect environment, other NPCs and player's relations with different factions.

It's insanely hard to debug such a game, so naturally with constrains of time and money we don't get a perfect product immediately after release, but I'd rather buy slightly unpolished Fallout - New Vegas than stable, linear and uninspiring grinding of Gothic 4.

azzamatazz

Jan 18, 2010
I'm not buying this game, obsidian can burn in hell, EVERY game they've made has been bugged to hell.
NWN2 was so badly scripted its hard NOT to break the game while your playing... and after that, well i guess i just can forgive them