Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

nikche

Jan 8, 2015
I haven't been able to find this game anywhere on the internet so I hope someone here knows what I'm talking about. I remember it very vaguely but I'll try to supply as much info as I can.

It was a strategy game, very pixelated, set in modern times (I think since you had cars (were those even cars?)). If I remember correctly you had infantry units which could come in singles pairs or threes (not that sure). Also, you were looking from a bird's perspective.

I adored that game, played it from a floppy disk which is now nowhere to be found.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

horrorcosmic

Jan 8, 2015
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember this very old PC game i use to have on this demo disc that came with an old windows 95 pc the family had.

I don't remember the name or anything just a picture in my head and a bit of the gameplay but it was this suspense game about a kid stuck in a nightmare, the gameplay was kinda text based with pictures like a text window at the bottom of the screen that told you how the character felt, what he saw and options and a picture above that, choosing an option will lead to a new area that with a new image and options, possible death. I only remember some of it but one moment that really stuck out was this image of a tree on a hill with blood red sky in the background.

The game came on this demo disc that i believe was part of an encarta pack that had all kinds of other games like hover and some first person civilization game where you get on a boat to leave your village.

Anyways those games don't interest me but i would love to find this game and actually play it, i thought it was the best game ever.

It may have been 98 too, i remember having that disc for a very long time.

After looking through google i can tell you that its not Nightmare Ned or Hugo's house of horrors, although the drawing of the images were sorta like Hugo's House, alittle more detailed.

diablo rules

Aug 14, 2014
musischatesyouall said:
Ok, so what I remember of the game:

- Sidescroller
- Keyboard control
- 16 bit (?)
- Bundled with a Windows 95 machine, specifically a Gateway, circa 1994.
- Like Indiana Jones, but I'm pretty sure it was not specifically branded as such. The guy had a rope/lasso.
- I probably only played the first one or two levels because I was young, but the character jumped up pillars of earth (?) in a cave (?).
- The goal of the game was collecting items. Can't remember the items.
- Lots of black and dark green. Not many bright colors.

If I saw it, I'm sure I would remember it.
Does anyone have any idea what this game might be?
Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure (1994)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAv9Y4LB-Fs

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
diablo rules said:
Ne1butme said:
I'm trying to identify an old PC game i played in probably the either the late 80's or early nineties.
Hoping that my description can jog someone's memory.

It was on a floppy disk. The game was a 2d top-down spaceship combat arcade game. Each player got to select from several different space ships each with their own characteristics. The goal was to fly around the gamefield and kill your opponent. Kinda like a fancier version of Atari's Combat.

I only recall 3 of the ships in detail. The first was the small circle. It could move very fast and it's weapon was an auto-targeting short-range laser. The ship had a secondary ability that allowed it to warp to a random part of the gamefield.

The 2nd kinda looked like a Klingon bird of prey. It was purple and it's weapon was a short range flame thrower. The secondary ability was a cloaking device.

The last ship i remember acted like the carrier from starcraft. instead of direct fire, this ship would fire out interceptors that targeted the enemy.

There were several other ships, but i don't remember what they were like. When i played this, it could do 2 players (each on a side of the keyboard). I think it was a DOS game.

If this is familiar to anyone, let me know. I'd love to be able to track down this game.

Thanks.
Star Control (1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX0M2Ftf6ho
Wow, that's it. Thank you!!! I had looked at starcontrol earlier, but all the videos i saw were of the non-melee part of the game.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Bobic said:
Ok, In the mid/late 90s I used to have a demo for this PC game that was like a 4X-ish alt. fantasy and I cannot, since losing the disc, remember what the name of it was.

There were three races. One I can't remember; one was a purple race that used psionic powers, and were kind of snake like; and the other was a green race that, as I recall, were not too dissimilar from the hulk. You basically build buildings and could change your guys into different forms in those buildings; and as you progressed you could improve to and/or build more advanced buildings. It's so generic top-down strategy now that I describe it that it's probably gone for good, but this seems like a worthy punt.

Thanks in advance to anyone with a better memory than I.
Genewars?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genewars

Robert Wilton

Jan 8, 2015
With the recent release of all the DOS based games for browser play by the Internet Archive - especially the oregon trail, I'm reminded of another game I played at the same time - on the computer at school - where you cleared land to plant crops, raised cows to sell or keep for breeding...pretty sure you could hunt as well..but I might be mingling it with memories of The Oregon Trail. For some reason I think your family name was Bartlett, or Barrett or something like that in the game.

diablo rules

Aug 14, 2014
German Dmitrenko said:
Hey Guys
I have one game in my mind which i can't forget for more than 10 years.

It was sort of flash-window game when i used to have Windows 98 or 2000.

The game was like puzzle, camera is at the top. You move your character across the floor (like labyrinth) but you can walk only on fixed coloured tiles, in order to move to a different tile, you had to step on a specific tile which had two colours in it.
Probably you were a thief or something like that, but i don't remember for sure.

Thanks in advance
Try:

Inspector Parker In Betrapped! (2004)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_RgMExHL8

Mike Schiavoni

Jan 8, 2015
here's what i remember: it was a driving game, you had to drive from one town to another in a little green car within the alotted time, and you had to avoid obstacles such as a truck pulling out and others. anyone?

diablo rules

Aug 14, 2014
TPangolin said:
Alright, so this has been bugging me for a while, so if anyone here could help that'd be stellar. Here's what I posted over on /r/tipofmyjoystick:

Platform(s): I played this on the Playstation 2

Genre: War, Third/First Person Shooter (can't remember)

Estimated year of release: 2000's, possibly and most likely post-2005

Graphics/art style: Realistic

Notable gameplay mechanics: The ability to switch between characters within a single mission. From what I can vaguely remember, you could see a character in the distance, say on a watchtower, and a prompt would appear. Upon pressing X or whatever the prompt was, you'd then play the game from that soldier's perspective. You could switch between soldiers on the map at will.

Other details: The levels I remember playing were set exclusively in the snow. I remember some sort of abandoned factory, also a bridge and preventing a helicopter from doing....something.
Conflict - Global Terror (2005) (aka Global Storm for PAL people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhStD1XXVOs

finalman

Jan 8, 2015
Okay, my turn...

It's about a game I played in a Arcade machine, in the 95-98 approx, a gun and run/ platform like Metal Slug. The Main character look like Danny Zuko (john travolta in Grease xD) it's a 2d game with toon look, I think the first or second stage are above a train and the second or third in a forest, I remember little monster like flying eyes ( as Ariman, floating eye, etc in FF series)

gabrielbarros

Jan 8, 2015
Anyone can help me, i played a game for PS1 when i as a child, i'm the beginning for some reason your character is locked to some chains and they put some kind of mask That attaches to his face and looks to be alive, after that they drop you in to somecave or sewer systems, and you have to fight lizard like creatures like the ones in the old spider man games, i also remember that for saving the game you had to step in some kind of light and a strange song started to play. And it was a medieval style to fight the criatures you had swords and lightining powers, sorry for muito bad english i hope someone can help me.

Modomadness

Oct 5, 2013
Alright, so let's see if anyone can get anything from this very, very vague description...

*I believe the game came out before 1998.
*I think it was for the Saturn or PS1.
*It was overhead or isometric.
*I think the colors were pretty vibrant.
*I believe there was some sort of palace or castle. For some odd reason I think it may have been made of candy or chocolates or maybe they had a room with tons of them or something? That could be me assuming that because of the bright colors.
*Maybe there was a tile floor with alternating colors in said palace/castle?

I really don't remember much of anything about this game, but I am very determined to find out what it is.
At first, I was thinking it may have been a Mario game, I was thinking maybe Toadstools were in there, even though I don't believe I had an NES or SNES. I know it wasn't Mario RPG either, like I said I think it was on the Saturn or PS1 anyway.

If anyone can figure this game out, I will be thoroughly impressed.

Megzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Here's to hoping someone remembers this one.

It was an old game - it was definitely pre-1990. Computer only. Text based. My school had it. It was a game about driving across America in a truck carrying either oranges, mail, or some 3rd commodity. You had to choose a route, set your speeds (which had an effect on your gas mileage), figure out when to rest and, at truck stops, figure out how much gas you had to buy and if you went over you just lost a bunch of cash because it spilled all over the ground.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Bobic said:
Ok, In the mid/late 90s I used to have a demo for this PC game that was like a 4X-ish alt. fantasy and I cannot, since losing the disc, remember what the name of it was.

There were three races. One I can't remember; one was a purple race that used psionic powers, and were kind of snake like; and the other was a green race that, as I recall, were not too dissimilar from the hulk. You basically build buildings and could change your guys into different forms in those buildings; and as you progressed you could improve to and/or build more advanced buildings. It's so generic top-down strategy now that I describe it that it's probably gone for good, but this seems like a worthy punt.

Thanks in advance to anyone with a better memory than I.
Genewars?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genewars
Alas, no. But it does sound interesting so I'll have a look at it anyway. Thanks.

Martina Pocchiari

Jan 8, 2015
Hi everyone,
I hope you can help me retrieving this very very old game I remember playing in my childhood on a windows platform.

It was a simple 2d game, presumably already came with the windows package.

I remember I chose the character, then started to explore a little map.

Along the way, you could find the following objects:

-swords or broken swords
-belt
-mana (health points)

plus some opponents like skeletons and bats.

You had to light up the path to move on.

It was very trivial and simple-conceived but I seriously can't remember the name of it.

Thanks a lot!

Martina

koganemouche

Jan 8, 2015
Feyl said:
Hey, I´ve been looking for this game for a while.. I don´t remember much about the game, but I know I loved it so much when I was a kid.

On the start screen were two characters, two thiefs probably. I don´t know if I had to choose between them or if they were both part of the story at some point of the game. All I can remember is that the gameplay was super fun and the environment was interesting. I would characterize it as something between The Jazz Jackrabbit and Dangerous Dave, but maybe that isn´t a good example I don´t know.

I don´t remember for what OS exactly this game was, all I can remember is that I played it in the mid 90´s. I´m pretty sure that our PC ran on Windows and I think that my dad had to boot into DOS to run the game. But I´m not 100% sure.

I really hope that somebody can help me, because the game made a huge impression on me...

Thanks in advance guys
Not Zool or Zool 2, maybe? There were 2 characters to choose from in Zool 2 - the game was affiliated with Chupa Chups somehow.

koganemouche

Jan 8, 2015
This one is kind of a long shot, but might jog somebody's memory:

The game I am looking for is an Amiga game which had at least 2 disks. It was something to do with monsters/aliens. It was aimed at children and included a feature where you could design your own monster by sticking body parts on it (you could have multiple eyes, mouths, legs etc), and then pressing an "animate" button to watch it move/hear the (occasionally horrifying) sounds it made.
(As far as I'm aware this was just a cosmetic kind of design, I don't think they could do battle or be used elsewhere in the game, though I'm not entirely certain.)

I'm pretty sure the game had more to it than just that section, but it's all I can remember. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading! :D

gaspernemec

Jan 8, 2015
Hey guys!
I want to play a game....
...i used to play on old school computer, it had older windows than 95 (idk which exactly) and it was DOS platform game, where you played character with gun and i think he had brown hair and red jacket or cap (cannot remember), you started off by killing some wolves, and than you came in some kind of cave where werevolves came in. At start game is happening in green landscape with trees you have to jump on, wtc, you also have to avoid barrels with radioactive sign and green thing ozzing off, you also pick up some things for lives, however i cannot remember exactly what (i thhink they were TVs, or guns maybe idk...), later you come into cave (arround level 10) which is brown color. NAme of game had something to do with dark humour or such....i searched everywhere and i cannot find it, please help.

xarguid

Jan 8, 2015
I have one.
It was on a console
I think it was some sort of Panasonic console.
Don't know which one.
It was probably in the 90's.
You are a fighter airplane pilot.
The view is third person (maybe changeable)
You shoot other planes in the air.
Sometimes crates with parachutes are thrown down, you can catch them mid-flight.
Those crates contain bonuses, you might gain extra jet engines to your fighter plane that can make you be able to fly super fast!
You can shoot mountains with your machinegun and they actually get destroyed. You can just shoot your way through a mountain.
To end a mission you must dock mid-flight on a flying mothership. That was tricky, you have to align your plane exactly to the opening in the behind of the mothership and then land in there. If you're not positioned correctly you explode on the impact.

What the hell was this awesome game and what was the console?! :)
--
Nevermind, found it!
3DO
Starfighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzKK4VeTAW8

nikche

Jan 8, 2015
nikche said:
I haven't been able to find this game anywhere on the internet so I hope someone here knows what I'm talking about. I remember it very vaguely but I'll try to supply as much info as I can.

It was a strategy game, very pixelated, set in modern times (I think since you had cars (were those even cars?)). If I remember correctly you had infantry units which could come in singles pairs or threes (not that sure). Also, you were looking from a bird's perspective.

I adored that game, played it from a floppy disk which is now nowhere to be found.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Please? Anyone?