Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
A man with a fancy knife has a moody conversation in a military plane, I forget if there was even anyone with him to speak with. Gameplay begins as he's dropped off in a snowy facility surrounded by metal crates that he climbs over. This was a demo, probably on original Xbox; I don't suppose it was on any other system?
IGI 2 ?

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
I have that game, and no. That protagonist skips the emo-talk with a knife and begins gameplay surrounded by trees just outside the facility; character animation is more stiff too.

The demo I remember was in third-person, had snowfall, and the metal crates needed to be climbed because they're so close together and the plane (Or helicopter?) lands to drop him off in the middle of it.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I'm very annoyed. I've been wanting to post a thing in the your-favorite-ingame-shop thread, and I cannot find the name of the game. Even worse, I think I remember the name, but it turns out it's a different game's name. Or a game I remember differently. Or a game that was this one before I tumbled out of my original timeline (which I do miss).

The game that it is not (at least in this dimension) is named "Midnight Resistance". The game it was supposed to be is also a side scrolling urban shooter but with very grey (metal/concrete) graphical environments, and also some beat'em'up-like depth (in that you could miss the dude you were firing at if you weren't on the same y axis level).

And, according to my feverish memory, its power-up shop was a series of grey shelves, seen from some profile perspective (if it had been a public library, you wouldn't be able to see the books on the shelves, you'd only face their "corridor" from outside), with the rifles encased on their edges (where, in a public library, you'd face the panels listing the categories).

The thing with that, is that the Matrix scene where Neo and Trinity get a bunch of weaponery downloaded through an abstract shop really reminded me this older game's shop system, to the point where I suspected an inspiration. I'd like to compare it again. But... this memory looks nothing like "Midnight Resistance" - apart from the fact you also had to walk in front of a weapon to select it.

So. I would think it was a game of the 90s. I assumed it was a two-players game on the Amiga, but I didn't find any candidate for that with my various keywords attempts (neither on LemonAmiga nor on HOL). Maybe it wasn't two players ? Maybe it wasn't on the Amiga (then it could only have been an emulated arcade on MAME) ? Maybe it never existed ? Maybe that's what they want us to think ?

I don't know if it rings a bell to anyone...

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I'm very annoyed. I've been wanting to post a thing in the your-favorite-ingame-shop thread, and I cannot find the name of the game. Even worse, I think I remember the name, but it turns out it's a different game's name. Or a game I remember differently. Or a game that was this one before I tumbled out of my original timeline (which I do miss).

The game that it is not (at least in this dimension) is named "Midnight Resistance". The game it was supposed to be is also a side scrolling urban shooter but with very grey (metal/concrete) graphical environments, and also some beat'em'up-like depth (in that you could miss the dude you were firing at if you weren't on the same y axis level).

And, according to my feverish memory, its power-up shop was a series of grey shelves, seen from some profile perspective (if it had been a public library, you wouldn't be able to see the books on the shelves, you'd only face their "corridor" from outside), with the rifles encased on their edges (where, in a public library, you'd face the panels listing the categories).

The thing with that, is that the Matrix scene where Neo and Trinity get a bunch of weaponery downloaded through an abstract shop really reminded me this older game's shop system, to the point where I suspected an inspiration. I'd like to compare it again. But... this memory looks nothing like "Midnight Resistance" - apart from the fact you also had to walk in front of a weapon to select it.

So. I would think it was a game of the 90s. I assumed it was a two-players game on the Amiga, but I didn't find any candidate for that with my various keywords attempts (neither on LemonAmiga nor on HOL). Maybe it wasn't two players ? Maybe it wasn't on the Amiga (then it could only have been an emulated arcade on MAME) ? Maybe it never existed ? Maybe that's what they want us to think ?

I don't know if it rings a bell to anyone...
The only Amiga/Arcade shooter with a shop and urban environments I could find was Forgotten Worlds, but the gameplay you're describing is closer to NARC or Crime Wave.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The only Amiga/Arcade shooter with a shop and urban environments I could find was Forgotten Worlds, but the gameplay you're describing is closer to NARC or Crime Wave.
Yes, the gameplay I remember is absolutely like NARC and Crime Wave (but I remember the graphics as less cartoonish and less colorful). If there was an accurate descriptive for this specific subgenre (2,5 dimensions horizontal person shooter, or something), that I could use to browse all its existing games, I'd have found that title, I think. Although I can't 100% exclude some distorted memory reconstruction - or, more probably, games merging... but still this specific "shop" image is an element that must come from a side-scrolling shooter.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
A stealth game series that debuted in the 90s (I think) and was considered part of a "Holy Trinity" of military stealth game alongside Metal Gear and Splinter Cell. It even got referenced in the former.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
A platforming game with two playable characters, one male, one female. They look like Mickey and Minnie Mouse and wear red and blue (or both?)

Pixelhunter

Dec 21, 2014
No, that's not it. This one came out in the 2010s from what I remember.
Characters with the Classic Mickey's colour scheme can be found in the "Klonoa" series of games.
And Mickey but only half-Mickey could be a game out of the "Epic Mickey" series.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
A platforming game with two playable characters, one male, one female. They look like Mickey and Minnie Mouse and wear red and blue (or both?)
Could that have been Rikki & Vikki?
If not, can you narrow down the system, or at least if it was polygons vs vector vs sprites?

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Cuphead only had a female character added very recently; aside from that, it fits your criteria to a T. Alternatively, I think there was a a Cuphead knock-off that might fit even better, but I remember nothing else about it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cuphead only had a female character added very recently; aside from that, it fits your criteria to a T. Alternatively, I think there was a a Cuphead knock-off that might fit even better, but I remember nothing else about it.
You mean Fearmonium?

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
That must be it, but I don't see a player 2 anywhere. Maybe Cicada is mis-gendering Cuphead.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Time for something old-school. It was an Amiga game, a side-scroller where you control a small knight. The memorable thing is the hilarious intro: it starts with the studio logo on black background, a fanfare plays followed by sounds of fighting, the fanfare continues, fade to black, and fade back to an image of a knight standing next to a pile of defeated soldiers, with some cool music on the background, then a wizard on a dragon appears on the horizon and shoots a lighting bolt to the knight, and he instantly shrinks. The music changes to just bass and everyone in the pile of soldiers immediately starts laughing out loud, at the shrunk knight, as he turns around and waves his fist at them; a gnome appears at the right, throws at him a rock, mocks him and leaves, with the knight pursuing him. Then the music changes back to cool and game's title appear.

What is the name of this fever dream of a game?
I finally found it. It was called "Sir Fred: The Legend"

And it only took me almost 3 years to find the name...

Reactions: Worgen

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Looking for an old PC game from the mid 1990s.

I only ever got to play very little of it as a youngin' so I don't have much information on it.

The few things I remember is that it was a 2D game and the first level was set in a jungle. I believe that there was also a woman strung up as a sort of human sacrifice early in the first level.

Aspect

May 18, 2021
Country
Greece
Hey all, I'm looking for a very old game I used to play on Android. Unfortunately I do not remember a lot of useful information, but here is what I can recall (things in italics are a maybe):

- It was top-down
- It was 2D
- It was pixelated
- It was fantasy-oriented (wizards in capes, magic, creatures, etc)
- It was on android
- It required an email signup to play
- It was multiplayer
- You could travel across regions/maps
- There was a leveling system
- You could explore dungeons/caves
- It had character customization or class selection
- You could play as a mage/wizard

That's all I can really remember that it had. Unfortunately I cannot give an accurate year for it, I'd honestly be guessing. Maybe something around 2013? But, don't rely on that too much.
If I'm given game titles I could possibly provide more information with what the game doesn't have. I'll also make sure to update this post if anything else comes to mind, but I doubt it.

Thank you all in advance!

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Looking for an old PC game from the mid 1990s.

I only ever got to play very little of it as a youngin' so I don't have much information on it.

The few things I remember is that it was a 2D game and the first level was set in a jungle. I believe that there was also a woman strung up as a sort of human sacrifice early in the first level.
That sounds like Clif Danger.