On Difficulty Levels

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
While I agree that games should just allow all the difficulty levels from the get-go, I think they require you to unlock the worst by playing through it at least once for one reason: Replay value. They want their game to be played through more than once, not just started on hard, powered through, and resold. A questionable way to pretty much force replay value for sure, but it works.

r0botosaurus

Mar 4, 2009
This reminds me of God Hand. All-in-all it's a pretty fucking hard game, but it has rather interesting difficulty settings.
Easy and medium don't actually change the difficulty right off the bat, it only changes how hard the game can get. You start the game at difficulty level 1, but the better you do, the harder the game gets. On easy mode you can go up to level 2, and on medium you can reach level Die (the fourth and hardest level). Oh hard mode, the game is always in level Die.
So the better you do on easy and medium, the harder the game becomes, and the reverse is also true. If you reach level 3 and start getting your ass kicked, you go back down to level 2, and all the way down to level 1 if you really start sucking.

I like games that challenge you, no matter how well you play.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
the antithesis said:
Think of the early scene in Bioshock when you've got the wrench and the electrobolt plasmid and the NPC instructs you on how to do the one-two punch where you stun a splicer with the electrobolt and then wail him in the head with your wrench. Now imagine you need to zap and whack each splice twice to take them down in this manner. Not only does it waste Eve, but you're just doing the same goddamned thing twice on each guy. Is that more challenging or is that tedious? I think the latter.
There is a difference between "difficulty level" and "repetition". Just because you can name an example where a higher difficulty just adds repetition (mostly because the electric plasmid stunlocks the enemy, making it so he can't fight back) doesn't mean every game does that.

Bottom line is this: If changing the difficulty setting in a game forces you to change your playstyle (or die if you don't), then it's handling difficulty properly while avoiding repetition. This doesn't always make the game more fun though, but it can definitely make it more challenging.

And given that i know plenty of people (myself included) that replays games on different difficulty settings, you are, at the end of the day, wrong. Maybe changing the difficulty setting doesn't add anything to you personally (which i find hard to believe if you claim it never does, no matter the game), but it does to a lot of other players, so you can't really "disagree" with Yahtzee on this point, even if it still doesn't apply to you.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Oblivion lets you change difficulty, and i think so does fallout 3, on a kind of sliding scale, far better than seperate difficulty levels, i always make it as easy as possible, not to good at games :p

Stumpy105

Jan 25, 2010
I think that difficulty levels themselves need to be reworked. like insted of a higher difficulty incresing enemy helth, enamy numbers, or lowering player helth. that the eniemes acctually get smarter and use more advanced tactics but I know that this will not happen because it would take extra time and effort on the developers part. it would just be more interesting compared to the almost computer cheating higher dificulty levels of some games.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mm XBLA should give him a contract :] and not just in the indie listings, but like a real legit game listing haha

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
my favorite difficulty settings came from Kane & Lynch: Dead Men.
Aspirin
Codeine
Morphine

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
Lego Star Wars, Indi and Batman had an extra called "adaptiv difficulty"... I haven't tried it but i think it only goes up. Alsow, in Warcraft III you had the option of reduceing difficulty after iou've lost aa mision.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
I remember this PS1 game called Tigershark that had creative difficulty level names. They were things like Milk run and such. I can't remember them all at the moment, since I played the game years ago, but it's a lost art.

I play games on the second highest difficulty setting the first go-around. If there's Easy-Medium-Hard-Very hard, I'll play on hard the 1st time then on very hard the second time. If there's just Easy-Medium-Hard, I'll play on hard.

I'm playing through Mass Effect on hard on the first go and it's pretty hard, making for a more intense, engaging and rewarding experience.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
There's an example of the "one time difficulty" effect in Dragon Age: When you are setting up to defend Redcliffe Village, you have 2 optional quests to make things easier. You can get a blessing or you can set up flaming oil, or both. This has an effect of giving the player, through dialog and questing, the option of 3 different difficulties on this battle.

It seems you've hit upon something that's starting to emerge on its own.

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
Oblivion let you change diffuculty settings. Hardest for me. I like the joy of killing a crab with triple my stats and health. 1 hit kill through a shield made me laugh alot.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I know that there is not a lot of love between you and MW2, but the game does give you an option of changing the difficulty setting during any campaign.

Quillpaw

Sep 30, 2009
I know Yahtzee wasn't a fan of it (or really any JRPG, for that matter), but I think The World Ends With You did a good job with its difficulty thing.
Not only could you switch mid-game...or indeed, any time you wanted, you could also alter your level. Changing your difficulty (You start on Normal, gain Easy later, Hard after beating the story and you could buy Ultimate) changed enemy health and how much damage you recieved, and what kind of items they dropped. Lowering your level made them drop more and made you recieve more damage while dealing less, while upping your level did the opposite.
You could do this whenever you wanted, and it is in fact encouraged in game so that you can get different pins and items. Also, if you were a pussy and kept losing to a boss, you could replay the fight on Easy mode.

Unless your were fighting that elephant, because you HAD to beat it on Hard for it to count. Fucking purple elephant.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Reminds me of The world Ends With YOu, on wich you can change difficulty and drop down character levle to mayke it harder anytime between battles.

Erick.S

Jun 4, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Infamous has the option to ramp up the difficulty if you're doing to well. I was playing the game on normal and the game seem to notice that I was impaling every challenge it threw at me on a gigantic lightning rod. It prompted me to play on Hard Mode instead, which I did. Sadly, the majority of the game was still piss easy.

But it is one example that what Yahtzee mentioned has been implemented. They were even kind enough to still give me the gold trophy for beating it on hard, since the game changed the difficulty for me.

Whatever happened to those awesome difficulty settings...[/QUOTE]

Awesome reference to difficulty levels. Oh, wolfy, I've never bothered to finish you on death incarnate :)

On another note, it would indeed be cool to see a game that manages to accomplish what star control 2 did at the time. I've never found anything since that would fulfill this small hole in my heart.
Oh well.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
LordCuthberton said:
ArmorArmadillo said:
If the Escapist Released a Game:
Graham Stark, MovieBob, Yahtzee, Rebecca Mayes
You win my admiration. Well done. She is brilliant.
[sub]Personally, I'd switch Graham with Bob but eh, nothings perfect[/sub]
I was actually ranking them in terms of hostility, Rebecca winning for her fatal attraction move.