On Gaymers and Cons

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Nicolaus99 said:
"Gay Gamer Convention: Straights Also Welcome" - perfectly ok

"Straight Gamer Convention: Gays Also Welcome" - horrible discrimination

Now it is disgusting AND hypocritical. Progress.
Is that a selling point for mainstream cons? Cuz if not that analogy is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Alcaste said:
erttheking said:
I know that you're not, I have no problem with this, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Maybe I just fall into the category of thinkers that just ignoring a problem doesn't do anything to solve it and that we need to face it head on and not just run away from it.
Precisely. This is doing something about it by making the culture more well-known to everyone involved. It's GOOD that people are asking these questions about 'why' its required. It allows them to then look inwards when they get their answer (whether they immediately accept the answer or not is up to the individual). It may not be your most preferred method, but it is a method, and it might just work.
Not to be rude, but I think the people that the members of the LGBT community are trying to get away from aren't exactly going to do a 180 because the people that they mock went somewhere else. It just don't think that they'll be that mature.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Sepko said:
It may not be reason enough for you, but who are you to pass judgement on what cons people can or can't create/attend based on their reasoning?
What do you mean? I am a human being. I have my own opinions, my own likes and dislikes, and this is an open discussion about the topic where people express their opinions. I have not thrown any attacks against you or a specific group of people; I've just stated that I find such a con and people's need for one ridiculous.

Sep 20, 2010
Nicolaus99 said:
"Gay Gamer Convention: Straights Also Welcome" - perfectly ok

"Straight Gamer Convention: Gays Also Welcome" - horrible discrimination

Now it is disgusting AND hypocritical. Progress.
That makes no sense. If "gays also welcome" were whole heartedly true it wouldn't be discriminatory. I think you're assuming singling a group of people out by default means they reject everyone else. It's not, The emphasis of Gaymer con is just to show that discussing sexuality, in addition to games and all things geek, isn't a taboo topic.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Sepko said:
Hagi said:
Liked the comic, especially the guy without pants and it makes a valid point.

Bit sad at the whole "if you're a white and straight teenager then you wouldn't understand" vibe of the description though. That's just a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you go in expecting others to misunderstand then chances are pretty high that that's how things will end up.

Issues like this are never solved by even more alienation, it's vital to seek common ground from which to build understanding. Going in with the expectation that there's no such common ground because the opposite side is of a specific race, sexual orientation, age etc. is anathema to tolerance and understanding.
It's not like it's gonna stop us going to other cons just because we've got the gay one now. The gay one is an option, that's all, a place where we can be a bit more comfortable an open if we want. It's not segregation if we have a choice to go to where we wanna go.

Captcha: rack your brains
No joke.
Erm... did you quote the wrong post?

I didn't make any claims that anyone would stop visiting anything for any reason nor did I say anything about segregation.

Just a bit confused why you quoted me as if I was making this out to be a bad thing in any way, I've got no problems whatsoever with a gaymer convention or any other convention for a niche audience. The only thing I find somewhat disappointing is the idea in the description that such conventions can't be understood by white straight teenagers. I think a basic level of understanding is reachable on most any subject if one side is willing to explain and the other is willing to listen.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
rhodo said:
Mh, I see the point here - I just completely disagree with it, frankly.

Here's why.

First off, I'm a woman and if they made a videogame convention dedicated to women, I would NOT attend it. I want female gamers to be equal to male gamers.
Do I even need to add how retarded a videogame convention dedicated to shaolin monks would be? :p

So, tell me: why then, a videogame convention dedicated to gay is apparently ok?

I repeat: this. is. a. GAME CONVENTION.

It's not a pub or a place to flirt, it's not something that needs a discrimination for gay or for women or for different religion.
So the message I -am- getting from the existence of a gay videogame convention, is that gay people feel themselves to be so irreparably different from heterosexual people that even when it comes to something like videogames, they need their very own version of it.
Read the blurb under the comic and then reevaluate your statement.

OfficialJab

Jan 14, 2012
bunji said:
To be fair I didn't, but my point still sort of stands - there is a double morale here, propogated by events like these, and while I understand the need for a "minority" to have something of their own, I feel they may just be creating more issues for themselves by pulling stunts like these. I'm not straight myself, but nothing made me loathe people who identify as having a diverging sexuality than the pride parade.

To clarify, I dont say that these kinds of events shouldnt exist, I just question whether or not they aren't just creating more waves unnecessarily.

Also, I follow alot of game-related news sites and I havent heard any vitriol for this gaymer con, honestly (as with people hating on Halo fanboys) i hear the complaints about the complaints alot more than i hear the actual complaints.
You didn't know that it included all comers, but have seriously never seen anybody attack this thing online?

As I said in another reply, this isn't really a "Hide from the mean people" Con so much as "Bigots aren'te welcome here" con. It would be largely similar to a standard con, but most of the attendees are either gay, or sensitive to the challenges faced by gays, and there is more content targeted to that group.

It's not damaging, in fact it should be leading by example. I don't think it should be labelled 'Gaymer' though.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
You know, I want to like this series, but you guys are getting too preachy as of late. The gamer girl comic, this comic,, I agree with you guys, but you've lost the two things I used to enjoy about this:

1. Your sense of humor.
2. Entertainment.

You want to preach, fine. But you're going to lose viewers along the way.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Hagi said:
Sepko said:
Hagi said:
Liked the comic, especially the guy without pants and it makes a valid point.

Bit sad at the whole "if you're a white and straight teenager then you wouldn't understand" vibe of the description though. That's just a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you go in expecting others to misunderstand then chances are pretty high that that's how things will end up.

Issues like this are never solved by even more alienation, it's vital to seek common ground from which to build understanding. Going in with the expectation that there's no such common ground because the opposite side is of a specific race, sexual orientation, age etc. is anathema to tolerance and understanding.
It's not like it's gonna stop us going to other cons just because we've got the gay one now. The gay one is an option, that's all, a place where we can be a bit more comfortable an open if we want. It's not segregation if we have a choice to go to where we wanna go.

Captcha: rack your brains
No joke.
Erm... did you quote the wrong post?

I didn't make any claims that anyone would stop visiting anything for any reason nor did I say anything about segregation.

Just a bit confused why you quoted me as if I was making this out to be a bad thing in any way, I've got no problems whatsoever with a gaymer convention or any other convention for a niche audience. The only thing I find somewhat disappointing is the idea in the description that such conventions can't be understood by white straight teenagers. I think a basic level of understanding is reachable on most any subject if one side is willing to explain and the other is willing to listen.
Oh shit I did quote the wrong guy. Goddamn, sorry about that -__-""

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
If Gaymers want to have their own thing then thats cool.

But anytime there is "x" thing for "x" people there will always be somebody left asking why.

I just think its kinda funny that in regards to this those people are viewed as ignorant or bigoted or both But if there was ever a con designed to be specifically for straigh males there would be somekind of outrage.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
erttheking said:
Not to be rude, but I think the people that the members of the LGBT community are trying to get away from aren't exactly going to do a 180 because the people that they mock went somewhere else. It just don't think that they'll be that mature.
Never implied that they'd do a 180. Just that it's a start. If you continue the status quo, then nothing gets done. If you get confrontational with the problem, then you start a fight. Even the tiniest hints that 'maybe we're doing something wrong' makes it worth it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Alcaste said:
erttheking said:
Never implied that they'd do a 180. Just that it's a start. If you continue the status quo, then nothing gets done. If you get confrontational with the problem, then you start a fight. Even the tiniest hints that 'maybe we're doing something wrong' makes it worth it.
But if the members of the LGBT community are so concerned about this, why do we need to put them somewhere else. Why can't a con that's already going to happen go "we highly encourage members of the LGBT community to attend" because frankly when you think about it, will the majority of people at regular cons and gamers as a whole even NOTICE the missing LGBT gamers at their cons (these aren't the people you can pick out of a crowd), or that the LGBT focused con even exists?

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Kecunk said:
If Gaymers want to have their own thing then thats cool.

But anytime there is "x" thing for "x" people there will always be somebody left asking why.

I just think its kinda funny that in regards to this those people are viewed as ignorant or bigoted or both But if there was ever a con designed to be specifically for straigh males there would be somekind of outrage.
Because cons designed for a minority compared to cons for the massive majority should totally be compared on equal terms.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
rhodo said:
Sepko said:

Disregard the fact that a good comic strip should not require you to read a text under it in order to be understood...

Ok, anyway. I still stand my point here. I'm talking for them. I'm heterosexual. I'm trying to imagine myself in their place: in this case, by imagining a videogame convention made for women. And if that convention existed, I would find it stupid and discriminatory, like shouting to the world that women somehow need their own gaming convention because apparently normal videogame conventions aren't for them?

So yeah, sorry. I'm still getting that clear, obvious message written in big letters. "We're gays. We don't fit it with straight people, so we decided to make our own convention even when it comes to something nearly completely unrelated to our sexuality, i.e. videogames".
This is a very bad message to send.

Also, I'm pretty sure a gay videogame convention is EXACTLY what homophobic videogamers want. "Now those gay people will go in their own secluded place and won't bother us in OUR gaming conventions! Ah!".

That isn't the message they're trying to convey at ALL. They're just trying to set up a place where like-minded individuals and those that support them can gather and enjoy themselves without having the passive hostility that their lifestyle gets almost everywhere else. The fact that the hostility is everywhere else is a problem, yes, and until we live in an all-loving utopia we have this in the meantime.

Your posts come off as rather vitriolic...You might want to tone it down.

erttheking said:
But if the members of the LGBT community are so concerned about this, why do we need to put them somewhere else. Why can't a con that's already going to happen go "we highly encourage members of the LGBT community to attend" because frankly when you think about it, will the majority of people at regular cons and gamers as a whole even NOTICE the missing LGBT gamers at their cons, or that the LGBT focused con even exists?
We aren't putting them anywhere else. They're still going to go to the regular conventions.

Imagine a panel (or a few) that were set up to discuss the topic of homosexuality in gaming. It would be AWESOME to put that in a regular gaming convention. However, that wouldn't be likely, as unfortunately a lot of the younger gaming community is incredibly aghast by that sort of thing. Not most, but enough to make it messy.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
rhodo said:
Sepko said:

Disregard the fact that a good comic strip should not require you to read a text under it in order to be understood...

Ok, anyway. I still stand my point here. I'm talking for them. I'm heterosexual. I'm trying to imagine myself in their place: in this case, by imagining a videogame convention made for women. And if that convention existed, I would find it stupid and discriminatory, like shouting to the world that women somehow need their own gaming convention because apparently normal videogame conventions aren't for them?

So yeah, sorry. I'm still getting that clear, obvious message written in big letters. "We're gays. We don't fit it with straight people, so we decided to make our own convention even when it comes to something nearly completely unrelated to our sexuality, i.e. videogames".
This is a very bad message to send.

Also, I'm pretty sure a gay videogame convention is EXACTLY what homophobic videogamers want. "Now those gay people will go in their own secluded place and won't bother us in OUR gaming conventions! Ah!".
You're insinuating that the existence of the only Gaymercon on the planet will suddenly make the LGBT crowds stop attending the mainstream cons. I have no doubt we'll still be going to the same events we've been going to since the dawn of time, we just have an option to attend an alternative should we so wish, to escape the Xbox Live Universe that is some mainstream cons. And the straights can go too, it's not like we're gonna ban the lot of you from attending. We could always do with supporters.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Still don't see how this isn't a form of self-segregation. Honestly, part of me feels like I'm somehow being homophobic by not understand and I am racking my brains and desperately trying to think of how this isn't a form of segregation, but I can't think of it.

While a heterosexual individual wouldn't be denied entry to the event there would, I imagine, be more than a few people wondering why that person came. Some people might even think it ruins the event itself, like how several of my gay friends started getting irritated because the local gay bar was having more and more straight patrons. Putting a label at the door just makes people not of that label feel unwelcome. I wouldn't, for example, join my local Afro-Caribbean in my university because I feel like I'm not welcome.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'm against this event: if people feel too uncomfortable around heterosexual individuals to join an event then it's good that they have the option to surround themselves with more like-minded people, only I feel it comes by excluding people of a different mindset.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I've got nothing against homosexuals getting their own gamer con, but what I don't understand is how their sexuality would change their approach to gaming in a way that's significant enough to warrant its own celebration. I mean, gamers come from all horizons, all stratas of society, all races and all sexual orientations. What unites us is our love of the medium.

I understand the appeal of each group getting its own con - maybe there's a few niche titles I can't think of that would get a better representation in that context - but this has the downside of splitting our already contentious lot into smaller groups. I'd much rather bump into a "gaymer" at PAX and find out what kind of person he or she is. That would give me a better chance of understanding if, and how sexuality colours our approach to gaming. It would also relegate the person's sexual orientation to the third or fourth degree. I'd base my opinion of them on everything *other* than their sexuality, which seems less discriminatory to me.

On the other hand, I have no issue with a gay gamer con existing *alongside* mixed-background venues, like PAX. This way, "gaymers" get their desired chunk of exclusive hangouts and still get to share their perspective with the rest of us. I'd think of it as distilling an element you're intending to later integrate into a brew of some kind - said brew representing the cultural affects of gaming.