PC Battlefield 3 Lacks Key FPS Feature

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
What's this? Change? I don't care if the map loads as fast as an in-game browser, has faster search time and more functionality than a in-game browser because they don't have to code it all from scratch! They are using a technology that everyone knows, is easier to code with and easier to update instead of wasting their time coding a in-game browser.

Also, I can make an educated guess that a server browser for console is quite different than a server browser for PC. It may seem the same for the user, but under the hood, i'm pretty sure it's different because there's a whole layer of networking (xbox live or PSN) that is not present on PC.

Jun 11, 2008
KissofKetchup said:
I smell another "THEY DIDN'T LET US HAVE DEDICATED SERVERS SO LET''S SHIT ALL OVER THE FLOOR IN PROTEST!!!1!!!!" event happening again
Just no on so many levels.

OT: I suppose we will have to see how it works out but from the sounds of it this is a really bad and ridiculously awkward and obtuse system.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
If I were going to buy the game, I'd have canceled preorder so fast, my mouse would've set itself on fire.

Thank God both Bad Company 2 and Enemy Territory are still alive on PC.

Phishfood said:
What. The. Fuck.

Seriously? I mean...just....it breaks my brain to try and follow the thought process behind this.

Next EA will bring back gamespy!
Frankly, I didn't mind Gamespy in for instance Neverwinter Nights. It wasn't a good system, but it was decent for its times. Only thing I hated were client-based favorites and friends list. So I couldn't find my servers if I changed PC.

Skylants

Mar 10, 2010
Can everyone who hasn't played the alpha kindly shut the fuck up? You have no idea what you're talking about.

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
Frapple said:
Could you please do some research before posting this sensationalist crap & causing people to react as above?

BF3 doesn't have a server browser because BF3 doesn't have a main menu.

Everything is controlled through the Battlelog website, VoIP, server browser, friends list, community forums, stats...everything.

Battlelog is fucking awesome. Seriously.

PS. You don't need to close the game and open it again to change server, simply alt+tab (which is super quick) to Battlelog & find a new one.
... And you see nothing wrong with this?

Hell, they could easily just put the website in game and make that the menu. It makes absolutely zero sense to have to go out of a game to play the game you were currently in. I can't imagine this is going to break the game but it is going to dissuade people who were on the edge. Hell, I have very little interest in the BF series but I had thoughts of buying this game. Barring everyone I know purchasing it; I won't be getting it.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
considering how bullshit stupid that is

I'm pretty sure it's a troll move by them to hide something big

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Before people start flipping their shit. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. The game does start quickly, and it really isn't a hassle.

I often find the TF2 server browser glitchy as hell, yet people don't ***** about that. This method is prefectly simple.

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
What's wrong with a Facebook-esque way to check stats and join games? Really, what's wrong?

Isn't saying you're going to cancel a pre-order a little hasty, by something you haven't even seen or used?

It's a cleaner and simpler way to do that. It's just that.

And they have to have a server browser on the consoles because viewing a Webpage and even using it is a damn nightmare. I owned a PS3 once.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Frapple said:
Could you please do some research before posting this sensationalist crap & causing people to react as above?

BF3 doesn't have a server browser because BF3 doesn't have a main menu.

Everything is controlled through the Battlelog website, VoIP, server browser, friends list, community forums, stats...everything.

Battlelog is fucking awesome. Seriously.

PS. You don't need to close the game and open it again to change server, simply alt+tab (which is super quick) to Battlelog & find a new one.
Wow I had no idea about this. It sounds horrible. To think, I was really excited about this game too.

Is there a LAN option, or do I have to run 70 feet of cable to my damn basement and move the router? I'm not fucking surprised to be honest, if the answer is no. BC2 had no LAN support, we tried to play a game with 12 people and, due to the router-exploding amount of traffic we were running through it we all had pings of about 700. Thanks, EA.

So we had to boot up battlefield 1942 again to play a damn battlefield game everyone had.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
C95J said:
Why are people so angry about this? You people are never happy with anything, are you? Seriously, you spend weeks talking good about the game, then one thing comes up that you don't like and suddenly you refuse to buy it. Seems very childish to me.
Well, here's the way I see it.

Imagine if this new restaurant is coming to town. Man, it looks good; everyone's talking about it. You see ads for it, and it's your favorite type of food too! You can't wait, you think you're going to be there opening day. You're going to line up with your friends and eat an amazing meal at this new kick ass restaurant.

However, a week before it opens news breaks: all food in this restaurant will turn your shit neon blue. Some people? They won't care at all. They figure "hey, I shit alone and no one sees my shit but me. It just doesn't matter to me." Others, they're just horrified at the very thought.

It's kinda like that.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
*slow-clap*
Well done EA, well done.
I know consoles are a lucrative market and all, but have you stopped trying to get money out of the PC gaming crowd?
They offer you money, you decline and slap them with your genitals.

Good thing i'm getting this on console i suppose.
Why get it on console? Half-size maps, fewer vehicles. Only reason would be because you really hate killstreaks, because its basically MW3 on consoles.
You see, there's these things called not having the extra dough to buy a decent PC, not being technically proficient enough to know what parts do what/are compatable with each other and outright not being good at building electronics.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Almost like Dice lost a bet to someone and as punishment they had to see how fast they could scare away fans from the PC version of there upcoming game.

Just wait, in a few weeks they will tell us that to be able to shoot in the game you have to go into the ini file and write a paragraph that explains why you think shooting should be turned on.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
What the fuck? First, no Steam, now no server browser?
I knew DICE couldn't make a working server browser for PC in the last few years (especially for BC2), but cutting it altogether? Hell no!
And now, putting it on FUCKING consoles? If they could get it working on consoles they could've done that for PC for fuck's sake!
Okay, I'm NOT buying this game anymore. No mod tools as they promised back then, no announcements about BattleRecorder, and no server browser.
Shit.

Fujor

Dec 30, 2010
oh wow another knee jerk reaction from the "i hate EA" crowd.

boring.

people moan about a lack of innovation in games and the moment a reputable company tries something different, there's hell to pay.

from everything i've read and seen this system is perfectly fine and functional.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
Folks, let me debunk this.

Battlelog is better than a server browser in the following ways:

1. Its centralized and organized.
2. Its faster to get in a game.
3. Its free (unlike CoD Elite)