PC Gamers Launch Crysis 2 Petition

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I'm sorry I find it stupid you are signing a "paper" saying you will buy a game, the only thing that does is make you feel good knowing your going to support your dev. Just buy the bloody game, that's what I do if I want it I'll buy it I don't need to sign anything.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Wow, desperate.
Relax, people, they will see plenty of green. Remember when Fox went into hysterics because that piece of shit film Wolverine had leaked, then it made 400 million bucks?
Isn't that always the case? Dragon Age was on piratebay hours after it's release. This is true about most successful games, including black ops.
They will do fine.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I like the enthusiasm but these online petitions are just dust in the wind, they mean less then nothing.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Or, you know, just wait a month and buy the thing.

What's the point of showing your support for a game that is going to be released in a month's time?
Think of it as a giant virtual hug. I mean, you can imagine how stressed these people are right now.

OK, that might sound dumb. But it works!

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
I haven't heard of such petition until now......that's probably why they got so few signatures.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I'll pick it up later in the year. Still, hope those pirates get what's coming to them.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Serenegoose said:
I certainly misphrased my opinion. I don't quite mean 'my problem' or 'my responsibility' I think I more mean 'my fault'.
Fair enough, and I can definitely roll with that. But the fact is that like it or not, piracy is our problem. We may not indulge in it, but we suffer for it.
But I don't think it follows that we/I have to pledge to buy a game. A game they didn't even bother to release a demo for. While I certainly think it's a bit of a bummer for the lads at Crytek, I'm with Serenegoose on this one. It's not my responsibility to prop up Crytek because this happened. It's my responsibility, as a customer, to spend my money carefully. That means that I need a demo or a substantial price drop before I buy the game. I loved the first one a lot but I'm gonna need to see the sequel for myself. After all the consolitis I fear it's suffering I need to be sure before buying it. If they release a demo and I like what I see I'll consider buying it. Not before.

And yes; we suffer the consequences of piracy. And that's wrong. It's insane that the paying customer gets a product that is clearly inferior than the one that can be found on a torrent site. It's baffling that paying customers might not be able to play their game if the activation servers are down, the publisher ran out of keys, the ISP does maintenance. All of that has happened to me. I haven't pirated a game since I had an Amiga 500.

Edit: The real reason for this petition in any case is the justified fear that the ghost of piracy will push Crytek even further away from the PC. It's so very easy to use piracy as an excuse for everything.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I havent signed because I wish to see the reviews, have a look at the demo that was announced for the PC ( eventually ) etc etc.

I am confused though, why is Crytek always telling us they are dissapointed, and that piracy is a bad thing ?
I mean its not like some PC fan hacked the servers and stole the build, it was leaked by the devs and / or the circle of trusted people who were given a build to check up on... now the one who leaked it is to be pointed at, and then pile the dissapointment on those people.

Its not a suprise that many have downloaded the build ( apparently ), its like being suprised when kids sneak a peak at thier xmas presents if the parents tell the kids where the stuff is hidden.

I haven't downloaded the build myself as it wont do a thing for me, it wont provide me a benchmark to test my rig nor will it provide a taste of the game as its all pre release and not the full product.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Xzi said:
I'd love to sign this if only in support of PC gaming as a whole. However, I got a chance to play the leaked version at a friend's place for about an hour, and I can honestly say that if this is the product quality we can expect to see from Crytek from now on, I don't care if they stop developing for the PC.
See, idiotic shit like this is one of the unseen side-effects of piracy. Slackjaws get their hands on a pre-release build of a game, play it, it's not 100 percent (see: pre-release build) but start making all kinds of noise about it on public forums. Negative perceptions build, sales decline, developers and publishers take it in the ear twice, once directly thanks to pirates and again their stupid bleating about how shitty the game they didn't pay for is.

The level of ignorance is truly stunning.
Just like the 2003 leak of a (quite shitty) HL2 brought financial ruination to Valve? Oh wait, the didn't throw a hissy fit and went "hurr pirates" over the actions of one of their own employees and listened to the opinions of their thousands of sudden beta testers instead of dismissing them as "stupid bleating", removed the universally disliked portions of the game and added far better things instead.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Jamous said:
Heh, already pre-ordered. I like Crysis.
thenumberthirteen said:
I would pledge to buy it, but... well I've got other games I want to buy. That DoW II expansion is out next month. As is Shogun 2.

Maybe one day. I won't pirate it. That's for sure.
I am lucky enough to have Amazon vouchers for Xmas. So I get Shogun AND Crysis! I love my family. :p

Mind you, I'll be broke for more than a while afterwards....
I used my Amazon vouchers I got to buy a new headset for my PC.
Very nice. I don't really use a headset when I go online, so that's not quite for me. Pretty good purchase, though. Got to agree with you there. :D

bader0

Dec 7, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Shame for them. I mean, man what a waste of their hard work. A game like Crysis probably costs millions of dollars and has lots of risk attached and...man. I mean, just wow. I guess the console link will make it easier for them but you gotta see the positives here. Maybe...just maybe this is a sign. A sign...that they shouldn't be sticking to the PC. A sign to show them a new way, a new way in these troubled times. A new way exclusive to console, where they could developed new and exciting games. Drop the Crysis franchise and embracPLEASE MAKE A NEW TIMESPLITTERS!
Irridium said:
Brotherofwill said:
Shame for them. I mean, man what a waste of their hard work. A game like Crysis probably costs millions of dollars and has lots of risk attached and...man. I mean, just wow. I guess the console link will make it easier for them but you gotta see the positives here. Maybe...just maybe this is a sign. A sign...that they shouldn't be sticking to the PC. A sign to show them a new way, a new way in these troubled times. A new way exclusive to console, where they could developed new and exciting games. Drop the Crysis franchise and embracPLEASE MAKE A NEW TIMESPLITTERS!
What he said.

Specifically about the new timesplitters part.

And don't let EA have any say in its development. They'll just try to make it like Call of Duty.
Rocket Dog said:
teh_Canape said:
fuck it, if a sue warning doesn't prevent gamers from pirating, the honor code will
I HIGHLY doubt an "honor" code will stop pirating.
Well, at best it'll turn a few pirates into buyers, at worst its no more effective then current anti-piracy methods, but it has the benefit of being much cheaper.

Point is, nothing will ever stop piracy, and the sooner Publishers get that through their thick skulls the sooner they can find ways to at least reduce it. And not in the form of more pointless and useless DRM.
yeah this is true publishers need to stop painting potential buyers as criminals they just alienate gamers

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Because signing a petition is going to help, like all petitions.

You want to help encouragement to developers? Here are some alternatives:

Buy their games they release
Send them letters and emails saying how satisfied you were with the products
Discourage piracy
Write positive reviews online
If anyone wants a game in the genre of their products, recommend their game
If you meet any member of the team, buy them a beer

I am extremely pessimistic on these kinds of petitions because there must be so many petitions that never get listen to at all let alone ones that gets attention from the community, doesn't mean anything will get done. It's not hard to encourage developers, everyone has to do their own bit, contribute and put a little bit more effort as a consumer.

It's not just for the developers sake, it has advantages to you as an ethical consumer and potential products available to purchase. Let me explain, if you buy their game and you like it then you can tell developers they did a good job in certain areas and not so good in other areas. This will be useful market research for them, while signing a petition is really never going to get much done and is a poor way of showing your support.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Sorry, way to many awesome games and Nintendo's new 3ds soon I can't afford to buy so so games(Just to make it clear, I didn't pirate the beta off crysis 2, I just won't buy it).

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
What if I'm not going to bother with the game at all?
Then you can make a bunch of self-righteous statements knowing the chances of having to take any of it back are extremely low.
Sweet, I'm totally gonna go do that now.