PETA Asks Texas Town to Change Its Name

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
PETA are annoying, but you can ignore them. It's the Animal Liberation Terrorists you have to worry about, but understandably there aren't many of them around and they aren't exactly very smart, so most of them get caught very easily.

I'm just glad I never did research in the US. In Australia, we haven't had such nut-bags protesting outside our research buildings (at least, not very often. You'll see a few in summer, but campus security asks them to get the hell out pretty quickly, and all our doors have pretty good locks. Plus, we also tend to store most of our animals offsite or in secure rooms, so even if they smashed the windows they wouldn't be able to get to the animals out - so they have no reason to invade labs since they couldn't "save" their precious "captives" - as if a mouse has the intellectual capacity to even comprehend what is happening to it or it's "captivity". We give the mice/rats food and water and a (mostly) painless death. They only live 2 years anyway.

And if any of these terrorist lunatics did break in, we have some pretty nasty chemicals with which to defend ourselves if necessary.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Nickompoop said:
Also, I wonder if any of PETA's stunts are serious, or if they're just run by professional trolls...
More like attention seekers. I think the people running PETA realised the more stupid shit they do the more attention they get, now they aren't even bothered about animals they just have bullshit quotas.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
Tofurkey?

Haha no, nope, I don't believe for one second that this is a campaign that anyone anywhere thought would have a positive outcome, I refuse to believe anyone is that stupid, not even the multiverse theory where there exists an infinite number of alternate universes each with an infinite number of possible outcomes has a string of events that leads to PETA successfully changing a towns name to Tofurkey, that's how stupid of an idea this is.

On a side note, I don't even like Turkey, but now I'm gonna buy one, cook it, eat one slither of it, then throw it away. Man I hate PETA.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Roofstone said:
I sort off get the feeling PETA is just trolling by now..
That's all PETA ever do these days...It's not about doing something worthwhile and productive, it's about making the headlines. Doing completely ridiculous things just because they know people (like us) will talk about it and get them more attention.

KingOfGreyfell

Oct 7, 2011
Every time I hear about PETA whining about eating animals being cruel, I want to eat my own face out of aggravation.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Strain42 said:
...PETA might have a hard time trying to explain their stand-point to the Turkish government if they ever tried this crap over there.

It's sad really. I actually tried to like PETA. I thought they had good intentions, and were supporting a decent cause.

But they really suck at handling themselves and they just come across horribly.

If by good intentions and decent causes you mean funding domestic terrorist groups, sure.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
I am tempted to treat PETA the same way they treat Reagan in this video:

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is anyone disappointed that they wanted it to be "Tofurky"?

I mean, if they were asking it to be changed to "Awesomeville" or something, maybe...

Davih

May 7, 2011
Phlakes said:
Don't feed the troll.
Sounds like the troll is willing to to feed others tbh. Honestly though, change your name for thanksgiving, get a free meal and change it back.

ERROR989

May 14, 2011
I don't know whether they shouldn't do it because it was a stupid idea, or if they should to force PETA to feed them.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
PETA is like an idiot spoiled child, invading your personal space, jumping up and down, yelling and reeking of spit and farts. The proper way to handle them is to push them away and to the ground by their face and just ignore them. If you make eye contact or acknowledge them in any other kind of way, they might grab on to you and you'll have a much harder time getting rid of them.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
PETA is taking on a town in Texas, a state known for steak and livestock... Did they really think something would come from this?

I'm getting a little tired of PETA. I eat animals, I will always eat animals. Nothing you do will change that. Asking a town to change it's name to promote a cause will only cause people to laugh at you and take you even less seriously, if that is even possible to begin with.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Yep, its PETA again. I knwo this isnt going to be popular, but I think its worthwhile to say just cause its funny.

<spoiler=Source+Video+Article>

<youtube=fZxjCF_icoE>

The controversial animal rights group PETA has asked the town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to 'Tofurky' for Thanksgiving.

The animal rights group sent a letter to Mayor Pat Carson on Monday urging him to change the name of the town in time for the turkey-based holiday.

The letter claims that turkeys suffer virtually every day of their lives and that eating the vegetarian alternative Tofurky comes without the suffering of the turkeys.

PETA wrote that it'll treat the entire city to a vegan holiday feast if the name is changed.

"Thanksgiving is murder on turkeys," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman told the Associated Press. "By changing its name to 'Tofurky,' Turkey would send a clear message that delicious, savory mock meat is an easy way to celebrate without causing suffering-and give a bird something to be thankful for."

PETA stands for 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.'

Located in the Texas Panhandle, Turkey is known as the home of country music legend Bob Wills.

Residents told Amarillo's KVII-TV that they are opposed to the name change.

<spoiler=The letter sent>Letter sent from PETA to Mayor Carson of Turkey:

Dear Mayor Carson,

I am writing on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and our more than 3 million members and supporters, including thousands in Texas, with an idea that will boost Turkey into the spotlight and promote compassion: Rename your town "Tofurky" for Thanksgiving. If you agree to adopt this moniker for just one day, we'd be happy to provide a delicious, healthy vegan holiday feast for all the town's residents.

Tofurky is a savory, flavorful, "meaty" vegan entrée with wild-rice and bread-crumb stuffing that is 100 percent cruelty-free. In contrast, virtually all turkey meat sold in the U.S. comes from factory farms, where birds are confined by the thousands to filthy, barren sheds. They are drugged and bred to grow such unnaturally large upper bodies that their legs often become crippled under the weight. These bright and social animals are denied everything that is natural and important to them, and at the slaughterhouse, turkeys are still conscious when their throats are slit. Changing the town's name to Tofurky will remind people around the country that we each can have a delicious, protein-packed, and satisfying Thanksgiving meal without supporting animal abuse.

PETA's feast would feature Tofurky with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes (made with vegan margarine), and vegan apple pie topped with vanilla dairy-free ice cream. Introducing vegan cuisine to your residents would help improve their health: A vegan diet is free of the saturated animal fats and cholesterol found in meat and dairy products, and according to the American Dietetic Association, a vegan diet reduces the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and obesity.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to rename your town and give turkeys, as well as your town's citizens, something to gobble about! Please let me know of your decision.

Sincerely yours,

Tracy Reiman
Executive Vice President

<url=http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=687268#.TsXvqPKP_l0>Source

Really all I can say is that PETA must have really grew a pair to ask this of the town that <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wills>Bob Wills famously resided in (EDIT: had to fix that).

Though notice how they sent a letter, and not an emissary. Cause you know had they sent a person down there they would never have been heard from again.
I wonder if PETA people know that Tofukurkey (or whatever they called it) probably taste NOTHING like turkey...

Also should we ask the COUNTRY of Turkey to change their name too?

Aug 25, 2009
Ooh ooh ooh, I've got another one!

How much of the world's farmland is dedicated to feeding animals that will go on to be used as meat products?

Hown much farmland would be needed to support the world's population of humans and animals if we all switched to vegetarian?

If the above do not overlap (and no, we can't 'just' change animal farming land into vegetable farming land) then even if the entire world went vegetarian then a whole bunch of animals would still have to die. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of livestock would have to be slaughtereed lest they die a slow painful death of starvation.

So in fact PETA, vegetarianism is murder! Not even murder, but genocide without the end goal of eating the killed animal.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
I have an ongoing blood feud with turkeys, and my mother was killed by a rogue gang of tofu. Being the ever-present omnivore, I think I might be kind of a PETA Antichrist.

I'm like the guy in GTA 2 - every time I eat sea-kittens, veal, or innocent lamb, or indeed club a baby seal to death using nothing but battery chicken eggs, my respect meter decreases with PETA, but fortunately I find myself in increased standing with My Stomach, which is good as it constantly groans and complains if I don't complete various missions. *licks fingers*

The End Boss is Colonel Sanders