Please let Pokemon gracefully exit.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Only 70 in Conquest? lightweight! XD

For anyone interested in it, do LOOK IN TO IT before you buy it. It's a tactics/strategy game, as opposed to what some parent buying a pokemon game for their kid might expect them to like.

As for the topic at hand, pokemon is as pokemon does. not all the new ones are gonna be 'win', not all the old ones were 'win' either. I've been thinking they should make some kind of actual pokemon MMO, though they'd need to restrict/not make legendaries available aside from boss encounters, and the like.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Terminate421 said:
Last I checked the majority of fanworks over that guy tended to come from adults who were before before 1994.

Who's side are you on in this whole shtick by the way?
Huh? Oh, the demographic thing?

Uhm... like most nintendo RPGs, they're accessible and elegantly simplistic for kids but complex enough to entrench adults and teens.

As for who Nintendo intended it for when greenlighting it, who gamefreak intended it for when making it, I couldn't tell ya without reading their minds.

Personally I don't think it really matters.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Huh? Oh, the demographic thing?

Uhm... like most nintendo RPGs, they're accessible and elegantly simplistic for kids but complex enough to entrench adults and teens.
This. I've been trying to say this. Also I've been holding back rage at the OP who started this pointless and flawed debate.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I love B&W because your friends are not massive douches who want to murder.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Eugh...
Why? They're still fine. The new designs actually aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I'm just hearing a whole load of nostalgia here.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
There are a lot of ways to innovate and expand on the Pokemon experience that have yet to be explored. I think the well is far from dry, but they need to be very careful moving on from here, as they are with their first-party series.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Do you guys ever take the time to really think about how bad some of the generation 1 Pokemon actually were? Yes, there are now trash and ice cream Pokemon, but generation 1 had the entire Bellsprout tree, Gloom, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Lickitung, and Jynx, among others..

Seriously, all of those guys suck. Every generation has had Pokemon that were really hit and miss.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
The Physical/Special split is important in minute ways that seem important only to hardcore fans.
Special attack/defense (or just special, if it's gen I) governs special attacks, vanilla attack and defense governs physical attacks. What's there to understand?

But to be fair, I knew that when I was 10, too.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I feel the Pokemon games could be something much more great. What they need to do is start over and create a very fleshed out RPG. I feel they need to take out the following...

1- None of this buy Red version or Blue version for pokemon exclusives. Make one version with every pokemon available. I get pokemon is a lot about trading...but it really shouldn't be. It seems like more of a money grab, because a lot of "Fans" will buy both versions regardless.

2- Another trade issue is evolving. You can't level a good chunk of pokemon until you TRADE them? Ummm stupid. "I love my pokemon and wish for him to get stronger, I know I'll give him away so he can get bigger muscles." Silly.

3- Rare pokemon are cool, but ultra rare ones that you can't get without like moving to japan or going to some event in New York city? Argcack. Make every pokemon available to everyone, although make rare ones hard to find and capture, not impossible.

I know these tidbits might not seem big to most pokemon players, but it's things like these that break the game for me. I am someone that hates DLC for the most part, when I buy a game and there are things in the game I can get or characters I can't play with, it just annoys me greatly.

Rant over, sorry. I don't even remember what this topic was about...*looks at top*, oh right. No I don't think it needs to end, just try something new. Pokemon has a great system and mechanic and we don't have many games that play like Pokemon. They should just starting thinking bigger and more fair. How about a game with every pokemon ever in it? With every Gym? Yes please.

Oh...did you want a Vulpix? I'm sorry you bought HeartGold, not SoulSilver...MOTHER#@%$%*!

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Rose and Thorn said:
1- None of this buy Red version or Blue version for pokemon exclusives. Make one version with every pokemon available. I get pokemon is a lot about trading...but it really shouldn't be. It seems like more of a money grab, because a lot of "Fans" will buy both versions regardless.

2- Another trade issue is evolving. You can't level a good chunk of pokemon until you TRADE them? Ummm stupid. "I love my pokemon and wish for him to get stronger, I know I'll give him away so he can get bigger muscles." Silly.

3- Rare pokemon are cool, but ultra rare ones that you can't get without like moving to japan or going to some event in New York city? Argcack. Make every pokemon available to everyone, although make rare ones hard to find and capture, not impossible.
I dunno, trading was part of the fun. As was the duplication glitch :D

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Graceful exits aren't something that Capitalism does. Particularly Nintendo, they keep franchises alive longer than any other game company that I know of.

The only way Pokemon will die is if people stop buying the games, and there doesn't seem to be any danger of that happening any time soon. I don't think the people in charge of the series are trying to do the gaming equivalent of Seinfeld, they won't simply stop when they think the series is peaking.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Kahunaburger said:
Rose and Thorn said:

I dunno, trading was part of the fun. As was the duplication glitch :D
Well I'm not saying to take out the trading, just not to make it mandatory for those that want a completely single player experience without the need to get help from someone else, especially to evolve my damn Haunter.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Rose and Thorn said:
I like trading, as Kahuna said. I'd always get my friends to buy the version I wasn't getting so we could get the exclusives.

Also, Ninntendo seems to be distributing pretty much all of their event pokemon over wi fi nowadays. No longer do you have to treck out to the pokemon center to get the "secret legendary" of each generation.

Man... I remember when being privileged enough to nab a Mew made you a legend yourself.

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
I can see where your coming from, OP. Pokemon was a big part of my childhood as well. So it's easy to get jaded after all the years after the original roster of 151 has tripled (hell, probably quadrupled... yes i'm too lazy to google how many pokemon we are up to now) and so you want the series to bow out gracefully, while its at its peak, instead of working down into something bad, or being a sell-out. However, Pokemon black and white is just as much fun, if not MORE FUN, then the original red and blue/yellow. Why? Because it still has the heart of what makes pokemon such a blast (catching/battling, etc) while still adding enough to be new.

It would be like getting upset at a new mario game. Sure its the same thing, but why fix what isn't broke? If people still enjoy platforming in all the new levels nintendo can come up with, why would they discontinue it?

If Pokemon is ever going to "bow out" its going to be past the point of no return, when people no longer care about it. But while its still making money, and is as fun as its ever been? why would they stop now?

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Pokemon doesn't need to exit, it needs to evolve (dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-duuuuuuun...)

What I think the franchise needs is a (slightly) more serious/mature (note that I didn't say darker) and detailed game for those people who got into the series since Red/Blue/Yellow.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Buretsu said:
Kahunaburger said:
Bhaalspawn said:
The Physical/Special split is important in minute ways that seem important only to hardcore fans.
Special attack/defense (or just special, if it's gen I) governs special attacks, vanilla attack and defense governs physical attacks. What's there to understand?

But to be fair, I knew that when I was 10, too.
The Physical/Special Split was the gameplay change introduced in Diamond and Pearl, where an Attack's Type was no longer the sole determining factor for being a Special or Physical Attack. So before when all Psychic moves were Special and all Ground moves were Physical, now we can have Physical Psychic moves and Special Ground moves too.

Back in my day we didn't have these newfangled physical psychic attacks and special rock attacks. And we only had one special stat to go around. And we walked uphill both ways through Mt. Moon.