Please, Recommend Some Metal!

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
If your looking for some different types of metal I'd suggest

Nightwish-Falls under a couple genres but I call it symphonic metal

Ayeron-Mentioned a couple times already very melodic and has tons of different artists in each cd.

Iced Earth-Not quite sure where to put this, maybe progressive metal. One of my personal favorites.

Blind Guardian-One of the best metal bands, hands down. HANSI!

Evergrey- A good power metal band.

Volbeat- My favorite band, I suggest them to everyone no matter what they ask for. Imagine a mix between Metallica, Johnny Cash, and Elvis. I put them under my own genre called Danish Country Metal.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
TheSolemnHypnotic said:
I feel like I need more metal in my life. Could you please recommend some. Here's some help:

-Nothing "Satanic" as in praising Satan...'cause he sucks
-It would be cool if they spoke/sang/screamed in English (unless it's exceptional)
-Pretty composition (Melodic, even if only some parts)
-Modern stuff is appreciated (unless it's that kick-a**)
-Metalcore can be included
-Examples of some stuff I like (please listen to at least one):
If you like Suicide Silence and techno, you'll like this. Otherwise, it's a pretty interesting experiment in genre mashing.

Also: Lamb of God! (New Album 1/24)

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
got a bunch i can recommend, not sure if they've been mentioned or not but here goes

Also this is a fun thing i found back when i was DJ'ing for an internet radio station, type in a band and it brings up a map of bands that are close to the same sound, i used to play with this thing all the time
[link]http://www.music-map.com/[/link]

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
'Blood Mountain' and 'Crack the Skye' by Mastodon.

Divisive band, it seems. Never get the same opinion about them. Personally, I like the more melodic themes of these two albums instead of the (still good) sludge metal of Leviathan and Remission before that.

That and you gotta respect the classics

BiggDoggJake

Nov 4, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBcEwJ7pXZM
All That Remains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rivf9yfRtE&feature=related
Killswitch Engage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUuLuwmmBg
In Flames
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_IETQqK54
Lordi

Of the top few bands that I consider my favorite, those are choice picks.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Meh, Melvins ftw.

Can't stand Metal that has pitchless vocals. I really like Metal when either there's no vocals, or there's a singer. Example: Layne Staley from Alice in Chains.

Basically I like Sludge Metal, Heavy Metal

It's not that I don't like screaming in metal, it just has it's place. If you want someone who could do screaming in music well, go look up Kurt Cobain.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Off the top of my head, I'm going to recommend Despised Icon, because they are an amazing band, and are currently on hiatus, probably indefinitely. Very technical, lyrics are very good too and are surprisingly deep for a band of this genre.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
I would recommend:

Sevendust - favorite album: Alpha - If you don't know them already, you must listen. Your ears will thank you. Here's a clip of Clint Lowery warming up on guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCimLZMinRw He is amazing
Psychostick - "humorcore" metal
Gamma Ray - can't go wrong with Kai Hansen
Helloween - Seven Sinners was pretty heavy for them, and pretty damn good.
Alestorm - epic pirate metal

ogrebushi

Jun 7, 2010
Suprised nobody has yet mentioned HAGGARD , symphotic metal which ive been looking for more lately.
Quo Vadis - Canadian band, the live video thats out there of this song is focused on the drummer and man its nuts watching him move

and just because it was one a friend recommended ages ago and it sounds pretty good Beyond the Embrace, Riddle of the steel

I would embed the video, if i had any clue howto *heh*, hence why this might look sloppy

edit- hey figured it out and fancy spoiler tags etc

CliveMurdoc626

Apr 1, 2009
Black Sabbath all the way up until their Sabotage is great, particularly Master of Reality. Their albums with Dio were great too. Dio's solo career was pretty good but my favorite band is Judas Priest and their best stuff was on their Stained Class album but every thing from their first album til Screaming for Vengeance is gold.

Deep Purple is a pretty good place to start though. It's not as Heavy and is a good way to ease into Metal. And you can't go wrong with Kiss.

A pretty good place to look is the soundtrack to Brutal Legend. Who ever put that soundtrack together has pretty good taste in metal.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
:wumpscut: is pretty fun, even if he's more industrial than metal (although I can't tell a difference...).

<youtube=_0MbBzpW0eA>

I got a bit addicted to this one a while back. I personally prefer the muted concept, but there's nothing wrong with the French/English one.

ogrebushi

Jun 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
:wumpscut: is pretty fun, even if he's more industrial than metal (although I can't tell a difference...).

<youtube=_0MbBzpW0eA>

I got a bit addicted to this one a while back. I personally prefer the muted concept, but there's nothing wrong with the French one.
True but he might not want to see Christf*ck with his original requests, but soylent green of theirs rocks!

And to keep on topic instead of a response, 3 inches of blood is amusing

Lamnidae

Apr 16, 2009
Slipknot
American Head Charge !!!
Gojira
Nine Inch Nails
Mudvayne
Dope
Arch Enemy
Gwar
Volbeat
American Head Charge AHC AHC AHC AHC AHC AHC AHC AHC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
3 suggestions:

Not technically metal but what the hell

Bit of a marmite choice but I'm a big fan

My favourite band of all time

Some AC/DC style rock

Welsh ragga-metal, you can't make this stuff up!
[youtube]=ti8_PNNuO8c&feature=related]

EDIT: Just thought of some more!

Some big 4 action up your chuff!

Classic punk rock

There are no words to describe the awesomeness

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Opeth, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Animals as Leaders, Cloudkicker, Meshuggah, And So I Watch You From Afar, Red Sparowes.

Hope you like djent, progressive death, post-metal and whatever the fuck DSO are classified as.